Oddest guest request?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, we haven't done this one in awhile and I just got the oddest I've ever had. A safe. I'm not sure where they thought they booked but even hotels around here don't have in room safes.

We had the same request this weekend! Is there something floating around out there we should know about? We told her there was no crime here, no safe required
regular_smile.gif
She was good with that and has really enjoyed their stay.

The oddest request we ever got was for a Romance Package for a son and his MOTHER. Graciously declined. Followed by an individual undergoing a sex change operation who wanted all body hair removed. Also, graciously declined.

The oddest request we ever got was for a Romance Package for a son and his MOTHER. Graciously declined. Followed by an individual undergoing a sex change operation who wanted all body hair removed. Also, graciously declined..
"an individual undergoing a sex change operation who wanted all body hair removed"
What??? This person wanted YOU to do this???

I have had the safe question as well a few times but none lately. I think that most think about a hotel where leaving personal items out is really taking a chance. I had a couple here a few years ago from Detroit that were 'walk-ins'. They were upset we did not have a safe in the room. After being here for a while, I think they relaxed somewhat. When cleaning their room, I found a pair of nice earrings laying on the bed and mailed them to her. The card she sent thanking me was one of the nicest I ever received.
Ever since then DH has been trying to get me to buy a combination safe for each room. These are self setting combo locks with a master key, similar to those used on cruiselines. I just do not see the need since we are the only ones who enter the rooms. I keep telling him that if we put them in and added the safe as an amenity then some may wonder why - are we not in a safe area? Sure do not need to raise any ideas to make them look elsewhere.

I have had the safe question as well a few times but none lately. I think that most think about a hotel where leaving personal items out is really taking a chance. I had a couple here a few years ago from Detroit that were 'walk-ins'. They were upset we did not have a safe in the room. After being here for a while, I think they relaxed somewhat. When cleaning their room, I found a pair of nice earrings laying on the bed and mailed them to her. The card she sent thanking me was one of the nicest I ever received.
Ever since then DH has been trying to get me to buy a combination safe for each room. These are self setting combo locks with a master key, similar to those used on cruiselines. I just do not see the need since we are the only ones who enter the rooms. I keep telling him that if we put them in and added the safe as an amenity then some may wonder why - are we not in a safe area? Sure do not need to raise any ideas to make them look elsewhere..
It might not be a bad idea to have them but just not advertise it.

Ever since then DH has been trying to get me to buy a combination safe for each room. These are self setting combo locks with a master key, similar to those used on cruiselines. I just do not see the need since we are the only ones who enter the rooms. I keep telling him that if we put them in and added the safe as an amenity then some may wonder why - are we not in a safe area? Sure do not need to raise any ideas to make them look elsewhere..
I noticed they immediately drew all the shades. Maybe they are concerned because it is a first floor room.

the oddest request we had was a lady staying 5 nights who wanted a different room each night. She was a paying guests so I gave her a different room each night. I don't know if I would do that again though. Way too much work.

the oddest request we had was a lady staying 5 nights who wanted a different room each night. She was a paying guests so I gave her a different room each night. I don't know if I would do that again though. Way too much work..
That's a tough one. Yeah, you make your money on multiple nights IF they stay put. Otherwise, it's no different than having anew guest everyday. If she paid full price, I guess...
I do my best to make sure guests don't have to move. I just have a 6 night booking that was going to have to move twice but one room graciously offered to upgrade from the smallest room to the biggest so the 6 nighter could stay put. Whew! (That upgrade is on me.)

We actually have a safe in our office. A big honking steel one. I have no idea why. It will never leave its spot because it is really frickin' heavy. On the one or two occasions we have been asked we do have one but they have to make time with us for dropoff and delivery. Both times it has been passports and money from international travellers.

the oddest request we had was a lady staying 5 nights who wanted a different room each night. She was a paying guests so I gave her a different room each night. I don't know if I would do that again though. Way too much work..
Yikes! Way too much work!!
We only room hop if there is not 1 room available for all their dates. We have had a few people want to "experience" a different room each night, but when I tell them there is a $50 room cleaning charge they change their minds. Only once did someone pay the $$ and we moved them.

We only room hop if there is not 1 room available for all their dates. We have had a few people want to "experience" a different room each night, but when I tell them there is a $50 room cleaning charge they change their minds. Only once did someone pay the $$ and we moved them.
If the guest is paying full price why charge them a fee to clean the room? I could see if you did a progressive rate where each night was less than the previous. They could check out and decide to return later on. Same amount of cleaning.
No, I do not want to completely clean a different room everyday for the same guests, but I have. And I definitely would consider it if they requested it. NOT if they were going to cause upset with blocking a good run on one room, tho. ie- if by moving them, I blocked someone else from staying 3 nights in one room. And I do look at the calendar when someone calls on the phone. If they want one night, they get the room that already has someone coming in the day they leave and I leave open a room that could book for more days.

If the guest is paying full price why charge them a fee to clean the room? I could see if you did a progressive rate where each night was less than the previous. They could check out and decide to return later on. Same amount of cleaning.
No, I do not want to completely clean a different room everyday for the same guests, but I have. And I definitely would consider it if they requested it. NOT if they were going to cause upset with blocking a good run on one room, tho. ie- if by moving them, I blocked someone else from staying 3 nights in one room. And I do look at the calendar when someone calls on the phone. If they want one night, they get the room that already has someone coming in the day they leave and I leave open a room that could book for more days.
It's twice as much work. My DH and I do everything here...no housekeeping help. People reserve a specific room and we don't switch them around to accommodate a longer reservation since each room offers different amenities. Also, our rooms have the big double jacuzzi tubs which are a total pain to clean. Between the tubs and the extra large rooms & cottag) we offer, there's just not time or energy in a day to allow room hopping. Even at $50 I would rather not do it. Most of the time when the issue arises, it's our busy season and we are exhausted. It's one of those rules we have implemented to keep us sane.

It's twice as much work. My DH and I do everything here...no housekeeping help. People reserve a specific room and we don't switch them around to accommodate a longer reservation since each room offers different amenities. Also, our rooms have the big double jacuzzi tubs which are a total pain to clean. Between the tubs and the extra large rooms & cottag) we offer, there's just not time or energy in a day to allow room hopping. Even at $50 I would rather not do it. Most of the time when the issue arises, it's our busy season and we are exhausted. It's one of those rules we have implemented to keep us sane.
I'm with you...the big jetted tubs are killers. Knock wood, no one yet has asked to room hop! We also haven't had any odd requests. I need to count my blessings or we're long overdue :)

I just remembered another one similar to MooseTrax. A husband called wanting to buy a Romance Package for his wife and her old high school flame who was coming to town; so that she could fulfill a long-held fantasy. Sadly, I had to nix that one as well. Just call me the morality police.

bree, maybe they are cruise and hotel people ... that is, that they travel a lot? went on a little cruise last fall and there was a small safe in the room. stayed at a hotel beforehand in florida and there was a safe in the room. little caution signs in with the brochures not to leave valuables in the rooms, to lock them in the safes, that management has limited liability etc. etc. i don't have much worth 'safing' myself and didn't bother with it in either place. but another guest told me he locks his backup disks and thumb drives away. so that if his laptop goes missing, he is okay.

A safe is the oddest request you have ever had? That is not even odd.
As SS mentioned, we travel with passports, credit cards, cash, cameras, etc - we do use a safe in a hotel and on a cruise ship, every time.

I just remembered another one similar to MooseTrax. A husband called wanting to buy a Romance Package for his wife and her old high school flame who was coming to town; so that she could fulfill a long-held fantasy. Sadly, I had to nix that one as well. Just call me the morality police..
SweetiePie said:
I just remembered another one similar to MooseTrax. A husband called wanting to buy a Romance Package for his wife and her old high school flame who was coming to town; so that she could fulfill a long-held fantasy. Sadly, I had to nix that one as well. Just call me the morality police.
Holy cow! Now THAT is different.

bree, maybe they are cruise and hotel people ... that is, that they travel a lot? went on a little cruise last fall and there was a small safe in the room. stayed at a hotel beforehand in florida and there was a safe in the room. little caution signs in with the brochures not to leave valuables in the rooms, to lock them in the safes, that management has limited liability etc. etc. i don't have much worth 'safing' myself and didn't bother with it in either place. but another guest told me he locks his backup disks and thumb drives away. so that if his laptop goes missing, he is okay..
Good one! You called it right. They had JUST gotten off a cruise ship.

Back