Odds and ends of running an inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I just checked in guests here for a goat jamboree...HUH? I have never heard of that before. We have a river race, tech graduation, some weddings and locally the prom. (Chat, Vent, Laugh, Cry - - this is the chat and laugh part, the vent part is nil, the cry part is coming up)
I wanted to share a personal story
An older couple is here who were here before, a few years ago with two other couples.
They asked me if I recalled the other couples? Then reminded me who they were, high school friends. I noticed the one man never spoke, and they told me later and thanked me for how nice I treated him and that he had Alzheimers. He never remembered them or who he was, or anything. He rarely spoke at all.
The next part brings tears to my eyes, that I cannot portray as awesome as it was being told to me, but will try...
They said he died. But that is not the teary-eyed part...read on:
When they were here, that next morning our guest was getting coffee and saw his high-school buddy coming down the stairs and said "Good morning" expecting no reply, and his friend with Alzheimers was "HERE" in the present and said "Hey Mackie!! What a beautiful morning, let's go have coffee on that big porch!"
and then he was gone. mentally. never to come back.
So that was the last time ANY OF THEM saw him have a cognizant moment. And that is/was their fondest memory of him since, when he came back and remembered his best friend! This is what they hold onto, what they cherish...they told me, and it happened here.
I feel privileged to hear this from them, and am thankful they shared it with me. We really don't know when our last moment will be, love them while you can!

That is truly awesome!!! I know first-hand the ravages of the Big A. Your home had to have been truly awesome to trip the switch to remembrance, The PORCH! As someone who has gone through it, I thank you for being you and doing what you do.
I knew not matter what else my house was going to have when I was house hunting - it HAD to have a big front porch! Priceless memories are made on front porches.

I think the goat jamboree beats all!
Tough times with older guests. Glad he 'came around' for their getaway.

Yes I still have a lump in my throat from this morning. I tried to tell DH and got so choked up I couldn't speak.
We had only just been discussing my grandmother's birthday in Sept, which is "totally inconvenient" on one of our busiest weekends of the year. I was feeling the stress of going across the country and everything here and all...she turns 90.
90. I need to be there.
What IS a goat jamboree?

Yes I still have a lump in my throat from this morning. I tried to tell DH and got so choked up I couldn't speak.
We had only just been discussing my grandmother's birthday in Sept, which is "totally inconvenient" on one of our busiest weekends of the year. I was feeling the stress of going across the country and everything here and all...she turns 90.
90. I need to be there.
What IS a goat jamboree?.
Joey Bloggs said:
What IS a goat jamboree?
Well that is the question of the day! But knowing you, you will follow these guests and get some great pictures to share. Can't wait to find out!

90. I need to be there.
Parents are celebrating their 60th next year (God willin' and the creek don't rise). We're closing for a week in season. They're having their party here!

90. I need to be there.
Parents are celebrating their 60th next year (God willin' and the creek don't rise). We're closing for a week in season. They're having their party here!
Madeleine said:
heart.gif

DH's family in on the opposite coast and even though it's tough to get away, we try to see them once a year. His parents will be celebrating their 60th anniv. next month also. After this visit, I'm really concerned about my FIL, it's the first time I can really see the decline of his age and family is saying he's forgetting things.
DH's niece is getting married in Oct., and even though it will put a big strain on us, we'll be going anyway. Not so much for the niece, but the parents. I'm afraid that our vacations will be centered around the family for the next couple of years. On the bright side, from their location it's just a short flight to the Caribbean if we can spare a couple extra days.
I've lost both my parents in the last 10 years, so we need to cherish the time we can get and it's worth the sacrifice.

DH's family in on the opposite coast and even though it's tough to get away, we try to see them once a year. His parents will be celebrating their 60th anniv. next month also. After this visit, I'm really concerned about my FIL, it's the first time I can really see the decline of his age and family is saying he's forgetting things.
DH's niece is getting married in Oct., and even though it will put a big strain on us, we'll be going anyway. Not so much for the niece, but the parents. I'm afraid that our vacations will be centered around the family for the next couple of years. On the bright side, from their location it's just a short flight to the Caribbean if we can spare a couple extra days.
I've lost both my parents in the last 10 years, so we need to cherish the time we can get and it's worth the sacrifice..
And my kids are all out your way! I really did not want to plan my vacations around seeing grandkids but if I don't I don't see them. Once/year is not really enough to keep up and they are not big on Skype-ing with me so it's save up for a visit or show up at their graduations as the 'unknown grandparents'.

I've lost both my parents in the last 10 years, so we need to cherish the time we can get and it's worth the sacrifice..
And my kids are all out your way! I really did not want to plan my vacations around seeing grandkids but if I don't I don't see them. Once/year is not really enough to keep up and they are not big on Skype-ing with me so it's save up for a visit or show up at their graduations as the 'unknown grandparents'.
Madeleine said:
Stop on by if you're in the area!
I guess you'll have to travel to them until you're an old geezer...then it's their turn!

We are similar since DH brought me back to WV. The two oldest we were close by - but still did not see them all that often because everyone was working, etc - so we could take them to their fists: play, circus, train ride, camping, apple picking, etc. Grandchild #3 arrived after we came here but we made the effort and went to Iowa from Alabama to get back to WV soon after she was born. After that it was just too expensive since DH would not just drive our car - rentals are not cheap! They were coming less often lately but we went to Iowa in 2011 and Illinois in 2012 seeing all the grands (Navy was mustered out so saw him in 2012 also). I think they are going to start coming here again since they aw how their Dad has deteriorated in the last year. we try to keep in touch, but we drop the ball as much as they do. Now there are 9 grands, keeping up is interesting.

Back