Off beaten path ideas for guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Please share some of your off-the-beaten-path ideas you offer guests. Either on your blog, website, or inn-room book.
What has been the most bizarre attraction to your area that guests have enjoyed? Odd, bizarre, strange, or just plain different - you had no knowledge that guests would enjoy visiting or doing that there.

Not really bizarre...well maybe....we have a rescue zoo with loads of snakes and alligator turtles the fellow rescues. They also have a small petting zoo. This is not the kind of thing folks would expect to see in our small town. But...those who go there are really impressed with it and the dedicated owners.

The mummies. Well, not the mummies themselves but the Docent at the Philippi Depot where the mummies are. Everyone who encounters her comes back talking about what a trip it is to meet her. I wish I could put HER on the routing. (The depot is not always open.)

Lobster boat excursion has been wildly popular. The mail boat as well. Ya gotta hand it to businesses that get other people to pay for them to go to work! The Tommyknockers Tour (Stephen King book) is oddly popular given you go to the locations from his books.

. (edited to remove specific area info due to anon user id)
teeth_smile.gif

Lobster boat excursion has been wildly popular. The mail boat as well. Ya gotta hand it to businesses that get other people to pay for them to go to work! The Tommyknockers Tour (Stephen King book) is oddly popular given you go to the locations from his books..
I would do that, I'm King's #1 fan!

Lunch box museum....it's kind of lame but there have actually been a few people interested. Cracks me up!

Lunch box museum....it's kind of lame but there have actually been a few people interested. Cracks me up!.
OH that's a good one. Collecting lunch boxes is a big time hobby. Big bucks as well.

Lunch box museum....it's kind of lame but there have actually been a few people interested. Cracks me up!.
Samster said:
Lunch box museum....it's kind of lame but there have actually been a few people interested. Cracks me up!
ahem...there is something special a block or two away from you...where is that photo that your DH took there? I would blog about it. It is quirky and interesting since to some people it is a part of their entire day to day life. You know what I mean. (I won't disclose your location by naming it)

We find that the European Visitors just love to see a Hummingbird, as they tell me that they never see them in Europe. The biggest attraction though is to see a Moose. About half leave happy!

Ohio State Reformatory tours - Shawshank Redemption was filmed there (and here in Ashland and round about) and they've been on Ghosthunters.
Geocaching - we're quite a hotbed of geocaching here.
Amish - drive around tours. Our amish here aren't touristy, but ubiquitous...
Grandpa's Cheese Barn - meat, cheese, gift shop, ice cream, homemade candy shop, bed and breakfast suites....
The Fin (Fin, Feather and Fur Outfitters) - like Cabela's, but local
I need to track down information on the tiger rescue place, the deer farm, and the several local alpaca farms...
=)
Kk.

Samster said:
ahem...there is something special a block or two away from you...where is that photo that your DH took there? I would blog about it. It is quirky and interesting since to some people it is a part of their entire day to day life. You know what I mean. (I won't disclose your location by naming it)
Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. We were kind of excited to see that as I recall!

We have a nearby zipline that's very popular. We like them because they send a lot of folks our way. We also have a spring fed lake that serves as a scuba diving park.
In June and July, we had blueberry picking.

We had a guest spend the weekend with us to see fireflies/lightening bugs.

We had a guest spend the weekend with us to see fireflies/lightening bugs..
tedwin said:
Fantastic! I often wonder if I should highlight those on our website as well. They are only east of the Mississippi. I never saw them until moving here.

tedwin said:
Fantastic! I often wonder if I should highlight those on our website as well. They are only east of the Mississippi. I never saw them until moving here.
They really are special and I would sorely miss them if I moved away. We have an open meadow next to our inn and for several weeks in the summer they put on a spectacular show each evening at dusk.

tedwin said:
They really are special and I would sorely miss them if I moved away. We have an open meadow next to our inn and for several weeks in the summer they put on a spectacular show each evening at dusk.
yes we have loads of them too. One evening we were at our friends' inn sitting on the back deck and what a show those junebugs put on...it was amazing:)

Back