Off your game

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
What do you do when you feel like you're off your game? I felt like my head was in the clouds all thru breakfast.
Couldn't get a conversation started to save my life. Everyone was lovely, no pills in the bunch but everything was slightly off like I was constantly one note behind in a song.

I forgot the Maple syrup today on waffle day. BLeech, and no one mentioned it untill I said " oh my gosh ,where is the syrup" just off, dancing to a different beat.

I had that after we took the weekend off a couple of weeks ago. I felt like I was drugged. I had to keep going over the menu over and over in my head because I was sure I forgot something. Took me four days to get out of my cloud.

We have days like that, when you're doing 7 days a week it's gonna happen.
Some days I really can't be bothered to talk with guests during breakfast, I hide in the kitchen and leave DH to it, some days it's the other way round.
Some mornings everyone comes down 10 mins or so after each other, there's a even flow to everything and one lot of breakfasts go out as the next couple arrive and it all feels nice and professional.
Other mornings they all come down at once, everyone wants something different, full cooked but with scrambled eggs, don't want mushrooms but I'll have beans instead, side orders black pudding and haggis, ones a vegetarian so it's got to be cooked separately. DH is running back and forth, I've got pans everywhere, the smoke alarm is going off. It's chaos.

We have days like that, when you're doing 7 days a week it's gonna happen.
Some days I really can't be bothered to talk with guests during breakfast, I hide in the kitchen and leave DH to it, some days it's the other way round.
Some mornings everyone comes down 10 mins or so after each other, there's a even flow to everything and one lot of breakfasts go out as the next couple arrive and it all feels nice and professional.
Other mornings they all come down at once, everyone wants something different, full cooked but with scrambled eggs, don't want mushrooms but I'll have beans instead, side orders black pudding and haggis, ones a vegetarian so it's got to be cooked separately. DH is running back and forth, I've got pans everywhere, the smoke alarm is going off. It's chaos..
My job is to pull the battery on the smoke detector that is in the kitchen hallway!

Mort - now you know how I feel half of the time. If I have a long stretch of empty days it takes a bit of time for me to get my timing back. Thankfully I did fairly well when I got home in June and hit the floor running.

That's me at the start of every season, or in the slow times with long intervals between bookings. It does help to have music at a low level in the dining room. I find it spurs conversation, especially as the kitchen door is closed and I emerge with the starter, then the breakfast and periodic coffee refills and used plate removals. I have a loop of instrumental CDs. It goes for about 4 hours. One of those antique looking players that fits with the house.

I take an aspirin, it usually brings me down from the clouds.

Me thinks you "need a day off once or twice a week". to help charge worn out soul.

Me thinks you "need a day off once or twice a week". to help charge worn out soul..
Went out to dinner last night. It was just what DH needed to decompress a little.
When we got home, two guests were waiting. They had locked two sets of keys in their room. Sigh. That's why you feel you can't leave.
(It won't stop us from leaving, but it does give one pause.)

Me thinks you "need a day off once or twice a week". to help charge worn out soul..
Went out to dinner last night. It was just what DH needed to decompress a little.
When we got home, two guests were waiting. They had locked two sets of keys in their room. Sigh. That's why you feel you can't leave.
Just curious, do you leave a sign out to let guests know that you've gone out?

We do if we are expecting check ins. Saying when we'll be back and inviting them to have coffee.
But we didn't last night. I think it might be a good idea. With DH's cell number.
Does everyone routinely leave a note?

We do if we are expecting check ins. Saying when we'll be back and inviting them to have coffee.
But we didn't last night. I think it might be a good idea. With DH's cell number.
We have a small clip board fastened to the door frame. The normal note showing lists office hours and asks that they ring the door bell, one says working in the garden, ring the big farm bell, one says cleaning rooms, look for us in guest rooms, a variety suit most needs, final note which is taped to the clipboard says "sorry no rooms, thanks for stopping", it saves jumping up when we have no rooms or got tired of price shoppers and went to bed. I save and print the notes on card stock from the computer.

TheBeachHouse said:
Yes! If no one is home we leave a cell number.

We have a small clip board fastened to the door frame. The normal note showing lists office hours and asks that they ring the door bell, one says working in the garden, ring the big farm bell, one says cleaning rooms, look for us in guest rooms, a variety suit most needs, final note which is taped to the clipboard says "sorry no rooms, thanks for stopping", it saves jumping up when we have no rooms or got tired of price shoppers and went to bed. I save and print the notes on card stock from the computer.
Like Jim we have a variety of different signs that we leave out, depending on the situation. "Out for a sail," "On errands in town, back soon," "Out to dinner," "On errands out of town, gone all afternoon," etc...
The main sign says "We are on the property .... somewhere! Ring the bell like you mean it (it's a big property!)"
We always have our business phone number forwarded to one of our cell phones (I mean always!), so we just list the business number for people to call.

Like the ones below we have many signs which we hang up. Our favorite one is, "We are out by the pool" So many guest show up expecting us to be lounging around the pool and here we are vacuuming the pool and skimming leaves!

Im like that if say we have 1 room left which is likely a single - sign says Vacancy but its a single room for 1 person for that reason.

See this is why we set up the phone system - I don't want the guests to know I am not there - we have a call phone in reception/lounge which goes direct to my mobile I can be anywhere doesn't matter.

Like Jim we have a variety of different signs that we leave out, depending on the situation. "Out for a sail," "On errands in town, back soon," "Out to dinner," "On errands out of town, gone all afternoon," etc...
The main sign says "We are on the property .... somewhere! Ring the bell like you mean it (it's a big property!)"
We always have our business phone number forwarded to one of our cell phones (I mean always!), so we just list the business number for people to call.
We have two signs. One is for errands and lists check in time and invites them to leave their car here or have coffee. The other says, "We are out by the pond." And like you said above, we aren't just hanging around, we are cleaning the filters or managing the plants.
I guess I'll make another for evenings saying, 'We are out for the evening. If you have an emergency, please call DH's cell, xxx xxx xxxx."

Back