Offer for Veterans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I have posted on my home page that Monday, Nov 10 will be a free night to any current or retired military personnel with Military ID. Our Veterans Day Parade starts at 11 and there is a program at the Museum at Noon so they need the night of the 10th to be here for the activities. Put it up a couple days ago - and as yet, no takers. I tried....

gillumhouse said:
I tried....
It's all you can do.
It's a very generous offer, though. I would be very suprised if people didn't take you up on it.

We did a similar thing for Leap Year this year. Free night if they stayed either the day before or after. It was a FRIDAY for pete's sake. ONE taker.
I think it needs some time to get 'picked up' on the radar. If we (my B&B group) decide to do this next year, we'll start in the summer to publish it.

wow!
maybe call the vet associations and tell them about your offer. i would imagine you'd be swamped!

That's such a nice offer! I guess the problem with posting it on your homepage is that only people who were already thinking of booking with you will see it.
I agree with SS--tell the associations and the Museum so they can include it in their emails or refer people to you when they call. They may even send out a special email for you since it's such a great deal! You'll be booked up in no time!

Any way you could do a quickie press release? Tie in the offer with the festivities within the surrounding area.
GH, I know you are very savvy when it comes to this stuff, I hope I am not offending you by the suggestion...
confused_smile.gif

I just googled military forums and there are a ton. You might throw your noble offer out there on one of them
regular_smile.gif

I am not a vetran but do live in a town with a lot of military presence and would think someone would graciously accept an offer like ytours.

Maybe for next time you could get the local media's attention and get free advertising at the same time. I would think the media eats up this kind of support-the-troops service by businesses.

Had a call late last night and one young man has taken the offer. Still have 2 rooms available. I did give it to the CVB and posted it a couple other places. Thought of it too late this year. There is always next year.

Maybe for next time you could get the local media's attention and get free advertising at the same time. I would think the media eats up this kind of support-the-troops service by businesses..
I really was not doing it for the publicity. I got a call late last night from a Navy kid and have booked him in. (He was calling to see if it was a hoax.)

We offer a regular 10% off discount for military and have had since we started. We've had no takers on that either.

We offer a regular 10% off discount for military and have had since we started. We've had no takers on that either..
Proud Texan said:
We offer a regular 10% off discount for military and have had since we started. We've had no takers on that either.
Listen to this - all GI's get a discount here, but they never ask. They show up and it is obv a reunion after returning from middle east. They always tip and appreciate everything so much. Our last had just retired and was here the evening he stepped off the plane with his lovely wife. He walked around with his jaw dropped "It is so green and beautiful, everything is so green!" I loved this guest. We can become so self centered when we get everything we want, and to see his appreciation, was beautiful.

We offer a regular 10% off discount for military and have had since we started. We've had no takers on that either..
My standard military and police discount is 15% in season and 25% off-season. I get a lot of military and cops.

I want to support our military, but I can't afford to give away the farm. We've already been told we don't charge enough. We plan on raising our rates after a year, but right now discounts bring our profit margin to slightly above breaking even.
I think during the summer we may offer a TEACHER discount.

I want to support our military, but I can't afford to give away the farm. We've already been told we don't charge enough. We plan on raising our rates after a year, but right now discounts bring our profit margin to slightly above breaking even.
I think during the summer we may offer a TEACHER discount..
Proud Texan said:
We have more teachers than anything else stay here. BY FAR!

Proud Texan said:
Think about this in a different way...these folks will be back. They may come back even when times are tough. Yes, raise your rates by all means, but don't forget your core customers. You certainly don't have to do HUGE duscounts, but a gesture of goodwill goes a long way.
This weekend (and next) as I look at our reduced off-season rates and ALL guests being repeats with discounts, I wonder about the discounts. BUT, they are here, they are happy to be here, and they return every year, rain or shine. They might be in this town but at a different B&B without the added incentive to stay HERE.

Proud Texan said:
Think about this in a different way...these folks will be back. They may come back even when times are tough. Yes, raise your rates by all means, but don't forget your core customers. You certainly don't have to do HUGE duscounts, but a gesture of goodwill goes a long way.
This weekend (and next) as I look at our reduced off-season rates and ALL guests being repeats with discounts, I wonder about the discounts. BUT, they are here, they are happy to be here, and they return every year, rain or shine. They might be in this town but at a different B&B without the added incentive to stay HERE.
I actually provide a 10% OFF coupon printed right on the guests' invoice. Even if they don't return, they might give it to someone else. I also provide a slight discount when anyone purchases a gift certificate.

Back