Offering a late checkout.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cook me breakfast and I will be there with bells on. :)
We were trying to head out of town and our guests would not leave on Sunday. We nearly charged a late check out. But packed up instead and got ready to roll.
So to answer the devils advocate on what would stay overs do with their day "..." is the answer.

I do that too. I offer a late departure of 3pm for $70 additional..
I don't know what your room rate is, but that sounds like a GREAT idea for the innkeeper. Bet you don't get many takers. That is one thing that is in my craw now, the last two guests have grossly exceeded their check out time. When I go to remind them when checkout is, they reply they are working on and will be out in the next 10 - 15 minutes. Like they haven't had many hours to plan for it?

Charge them
If you WANT to offer it, do so, but if not, don't allow it.
Again...back to the life thing, yeah that life thing always gets in the way. Case in point every flippin' time I bend and say Okay come on by and if your room is ready check in early, and every flippin' time those are the rooms who end up showing at 9 or 10pm at night, and i have to be "ON" super early.
Had a request last night, "we would like to check in early" after they checked the box agreeing to our policies and when our check in BEGINS. DH says as I am all frazzled, YOU DO IT TO YOURSELF, JUST SAY NO.
I get no compassion around here!
On the next booking is said when asked about FOOD ALLERGIES and IF YOU ARE VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN to let us know on thsi space _______________________________
Allergic to smoke and heavy perfume.
Dang it! I only use the heavy perfume to cover up my smoke! DOH!
I want to make THAT into a tshirt...Guess what, "Innkeepers hate smoke and heavy perfume more than anyone!".
Joey Bloggs said:
Charge them
If you WANT to offer it, do so, but if not, don't allow it.
Again...back to the life thing, yeah that life thing always gets in the way. Case in point every flippin' time I bend and say Okay come on by and if your room is ready check in early, and every flippin' time those are the rooms who end up showing at 9 or 10pm at night, and i have to be "ON" super early.
Had a request last night, "we would like to check in early" after they checked the box agreeing to our policies and when our check in BEGINS. DH says as I am all frazzled, YOU DO IT TO YOURSELF, JUST SAY NO.
I get no compassion around here!
On the next booking is said when asked about FOOD ALLERGIES and IF YOU ARE VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN to let us know on thsi space _______________________________
Allergic to smoke and heavy perfume.
Dang it! I only use the heavy perfume to cover up my smoke! DOH!
I want to make THAT into a tshirt...Guess what, "Innkeepers hate smoke and heavy perfume more than anyone!"
I had this same problem until we started charging $35 for early check ins this year. Most of the time when money is involved they arrive when they say they are. It does not cost us anymore and it payed for our vacation to Florida this year.

I do that too. I offer a late departure of 3pm for $70 additional..
I don't know what your room rate is, but that sounds like a GREAT idea for the innkeeper. Bet you don't get many takers. That is one thing that is in my craw now, the last two guests have grossly exceeded their check out time. When I go to remind them when checkout is, they reply they are working on and will be out in the next 10 - 15 minutes. Like they haven't had many hours to plan for it?
remnjava said:
Our registration form lets the guests know the price for late check-out. If they exceed by more than 20 minutes, I go to the door and let them know we are charging for the overstay. It generally helps them get out the door in less than 2 minutes at that point.
What I usually do is just let them stay until I am about 10 minutes from needing to clean that room. I have a wonderful review telling everyone just how obnoxious I am when the guest is 'just 10 minutes late!' (They were 2 hours late.)

Personally its ok if the guest asks AHEAD OF TIME to stay later as long as they are out of the room-we get many one nighters here (not my decision as i am not the owner just innkeeper).
We have been extremely busy all month every day a turnover, finally today (sunday 18th) we thought-great we have no check ins-only three rooms to do and we can be done by noon-we can take the afternoon off and go do something non-inn like. But at check out a guest comes to my husband and said that she won't be leaving till 2pm-husband said ok-this really ticks me off cause she could have said something last night a check in or this morning at breakfast. It peeves me cause damn-we do have a life people and sometimes its necessary to TAKE TIME TO BREATH before the next crazy week. Don't want to leave the Inn with a guest lurking so now we are stuck until she leaves.
Your idea is great todd if you want to do it charge....

Personally its ok if the guest asks AHEAD OF TIME to stay later as long as they are out of the room-we get many one nighters here (not my decision as i am not the owner just innkeeper).
We have been extremely busy all month every day a turnover, finally today (sunday 18th) we thought-great we have no check ins-only three rooms to do and we can be done by noon-we can take the afternoon off and go do something non-inn like. But at check out a guest comes to my husband and said that she won't be leaving till 2pm-husband said ok-this really ticks me off cause she could have said something last night a check in or this morning at breakfast. It peeves me cause damn-we do have a life people and sometimes its necessary to TAKE TIME TO BREATH before the next crazy week. Don't want to leave the Inn with a guest lurking so now we are stuck until she leaves.
Your idea is great todd if you want to do it charge.....
Is this ok with the owner? That guests leave whenever they feel like it? That's not right for any property to have to 'wonder' what time the last guest will be leaving.

Tell Jon I said he needs a slap up the side of the head! 2PM is not check-out time. Point her to the lovely park across the street or a nice lunch room. Tell him he lived in WV long enough to learn to tell time.

Tell Jon I said he needs a slap up the side of the head! 2PM is not check-out time. Point her to the lovely park across the street or a nice lunch room. Tell him he lived in WV long enough to learn to tell time.
I'll relay the message K- :)

Back