Offering a late checkout.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
80% of our customers come from a large city about an hour away. We are a weekend getaway destination. Because of that we can expect high weekend traffic and limited week traffic. I was thinking of offering a late checkout to our Sat night guests with the idea that they could take a bikeride or hang around town for the day and still have the room to return to cleanup, nap etc before heading back to the city. So for example a guest is at breakfast and they didn't do the wine tour. Maybe they would see it as an advantage to keep the room until 6 PM on Sunday to take in the winery and then watch a movie or nap in case the winery went a bit too well. ;) For only an additional $59 or something. If the room is open on Monday, it is extra income for us and maybe a nice experience for them.
Sound too goofy? Any reason to just not even think about this?

If Sunday is not busy for you, and you don't mind hanging around the house all day waiting for guests to be done enjoying themselves, go for it. It could be a great selling point for you!

We do it but I tend to work on the basis of how busy we are. Mostly we are quiet on a Sunday so it is not any inconvenience. It can be a nice little earner but make sure they have to book it with you so you know where you are.

Well I enjoy my Sunday afternoons off after people leave so I can go to a winery, enjoy the afternoon over a cheese plate, or something like that. I would not give that up for anything.
But I work at UVA during the week so my Sundays might be more precious than yours...
RIki

We always offer guests the opportunity to stay later if we do not have guests booked in their room that night and usually they take us up on it. I go about my day and they usually spend the afternoon relaxing on the hammock or taking a hike. When guests are not being rushed out the door and they can leave when they want to leave they feel like it's getting an extra day for free. It's a win-win for everyone.

offer it and see what happens.
i paid for an extra night's stay at a b&b in new hampshire in order to check out at 5 pm instead of 11 am. of course, you would be prevented from having that room available for another guest ... how far in advance would they have to agree they want that late checkout?

I think it is a wonderful idea especially if your Sunday nights are slow.
One thing to consider though is that many have already made plans by the time Sunday AM comes along. If you do not want to have it on your website (which may be a great plug for your business), you may want to provide this info in your confirmation letter.
I think having a statement on your site that says something to entice them with the idea and "just check with us when you arrive (or morning of departure) to see if we will be able to accommodate you" .

We used to offer a later complimentary check-out on Sundays if we didn't have anyone coming into the room. That meant that they could leave as late as 1 PM, not stay all afternoon. Guests typically had breakfast at the latest time we offered it on Sundays, too. Sometimes, folks just enjoy lazing around on a Sunday when they're on a weekend getaway. That still gave us the bulk of the afternoon & evening to do what we wanted. I could still strip the rooms and start laundry after they left and my part-time housekeeper and I could hit the rooms on Monday morning. This worked for me because Sundays & Mondays were the slowest days.
Just a nice amenity to offer if you can and it doesn't create stress for you.......

I do that too. I offer a late departure of 3pm for $70 additional..
Wow, this is an eye-opener for me. We've been offering it for free, as late as 3 PM, if no one is coming in that same day to that room. It's the one-nighters who take us up on it occasionally.

For those of you who charge a fee for a late checkout... do you let the guest book that in advance or wait till the day before of morning of and only do it if you don't need to flip the room?
If you DO let the guest book it in advance, what do you do if you get a booking for that night? Do you cancel the late checkout or do you turn down the booking?
Thanks.

Charge them
If you WANT to offer it, do so, but if not, don't allow it.
Again...back to the life thing, yeah that life thing always gets in the way. Case in point every flippin' time I bend and say Okay come on by and if your room is ready check in early, and every flippin' time those are the rooms who end up showing at 9 or 10pm at night, and i have to be "ON" super early.
Had a request last night, "we would like to check in early" after they checked the box agreeing to our policies and when our check in BEGINS. DH says as I am all frazzled, YOU DO IT TO YOURSELF, JUST SAY NO.
I get no compassion around here!
On the next booking is said when asked about FOOD ALLERGIES and IF YOU ARE VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN to let us know on thsi space _______________________________
Allergic to smoke and heavy perfume.
Dang it! I only use the heavy perfume to cover up my smoke! DOH!
I want to make THAT into a tshirt...Guess what, "Innkeepers hate smoke and heavy perfume more than anyone!"

Charge them
If you WANT to offer it, do so, but if not, don't allow it.
Again...back to the life thing, yeah that life thing always gets in the way. Case in point every flippin' time I bend and say Okay come on by and if your room is ready check in early, and every flippin' time those are the rooms who end up showing at 9 or 10pm at night, and i have to be "ON" super early.
Had a request last night, "we would like to check in early" after they checked the box agreeing to our policies and when our check in BEGINS. DH says as I am all frazzled, YOU DO IT TO YOURSELF, JUST SAY NO.
I get no compassion around here!
On the next booking is said when asked about FOOD ALLERGIES and IF YOU ARE VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN to let us know on thsi space _______________________________
Allergic to smoke and heavy perfume.
Dang it! I only use the heavy perfume to cover up my smoke! DOH!
I want to make THAT into a tshirt...Guess what, "Innkeepers hate smoke and heavy perfume more than anyone!".
Joey Bloggs said:
I want to make THAT into a tshirt...Guess what,
"Innkeepers hate smoke and heavy perfume more than anyone!"
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

I just saw this on a local lakefront resort email:
RESERVE ANYTIME IN NOVEMBER AND RECEIVE A
COMPLIMENTARY 5 PM CHECK-OUT!
Offer subject to availability, call for details.

We do that. We call it our "Lazy Morning Option" Since we are small, we have a fixed breakfast time of 8:30 a.m. with a checkout at 11 a.m.
With the purchase of the package, they can name their breakfast time (up to 10 a.m.) and checkout is delayed until 1 p.m. That still gives us two hours to flip the room.
We get a lot of takers for this and it doesn't cost us a cent. DW usually serves pancakes on those mornings, so the fruit course is done in advance and the pancakes are put on when we see them walking to the house. Most people come to breakfast at 9 a.m. and leave by noon.

We do that. We call it our "Lazy Morning Option" Since we are small, we have a fixed breakfast time of 8:30 a.m. with a checkout at 11 a.m.
With the purchase of the package, they can name their breakfast time (up to 10 a.m.) and checkout is delayed until 1 p.m. That still gives us two hours to flip the room.
We get a lot of takers for this and it doesn't cost us a cent. DW usually serves pancakes on those mornings, so the fruit course is done in advance and the pancakes are put on when we see them walking to the house. Most people come to breakfast at 9 a.m. and leave by noon..
Forget, do you have a 2 night min? If not, do you find this happens more on Sunday departures?
Interesting way to do this, may have to borrow the idea! It is also a way to have an excuse when someone wants to check in early. And people are more likely to pay to sleep in late than they are to arrive early to drop off their bags.

We get a lot of takers for this and it doesn't cost us a cent. DW usually serves pancakes on those mornings, so the fruit course is done in advance and the pancakes are put on when we see them walking to the house. Most people come to breakfast at 9 a.m. and leave by noon..
Proud Texan said:
We get a lot of takers for this and it doesn't cost us a cent. DW usually serves pancakes on those mornings, so the fruit course is done in advance and the pancakes are put on when we see them walking to the house. Most people come to breakfast at 9 a.m. and leave by noon.
I'm playing devil's advocate here. If most people who are adding the late breakfast/checkout choose 9:00 breakfast, then how many potential guests just don't book with you because your breakfast is so early?
Personally, I would never book a place where the only breakfast time is 8:30 and I wouldn't purchase the additional package either. I would go somewhere else. Since I'm on a getaway out in the country, I would want to relax and sleep in. I could see an early breakfast if you were in the city, because people could then get out and do city things. What is it that your stay overs do with their day (especially in winter)?

Proud Texan said:
I'm playing devil's advocate here. If most people who are adding the late breakfast/checkout choose 9:00 breakfast, then how many potential guests just don't book with you because your breakfast is so early?
Personally, I would never book a place where the only breakfast time is 8:30 and I wouldn't purchase the additional package either. I would go somewhere else. Since I'm on a getaway out in the country, I would want to relax and sleep in. I could see an early breakfast if you were in the city, because people could then get out and do city things. What is it that your stay overs do with their day (especially in winter)?
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Well, answering you as the devil's advocate, I guess we'll never see you here then...and I really don't care.
We are quite satisfied with the number of our bookings. We may be losing some people for the reasons you mention, but since we're a niche market anyway, it's no big deal. The guests we do get love us and love the package. We're not for everyone, don't need to be, don't want to be.
We're doing just fine and the system works for us without working us to death. I realize that this would not work for larger places, but it works for us.

Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
FYI - Our breakfast is served 8:30-9:30 and more often we are asked for an EARLIER breakfast than for a late one. For the last 4 days I have been serving one room @ 7:15. I was so happy for that time change last night, I needed the extra hr.
Just like most things, you can't please everyone! And sometimes you just have to please YOURSELF.
Edited to add: one place we stayed said breakfast is at 8am, I asked if I needed to tell him then that I may not eat. He said no problem either way. - Next morning the alarm (aka loud player piano) woke up the entire house at 7:30.... he knew all along I would be at breakfast, no sleeping through that!

Back