Office hours?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you have office hours? Times during which you answer the phone? We've recently given ourselves back 3 hours by not answering the phone after 7pm.
One person has called 3 times since 7 pm. Every bit of information they need, based on the voicemail left, is easily found on the website.
If you post office hours what are they? 9 - 9 ? 10 - 6?
What is a reasonable time frame? We have been told we were the only place that answered the phone, thus we got the reservation. Always wonder how far down the list they went before getting to our number.
But we do need a little more family time for Wednesday and Pugsley.

Yes you have to find that balance. Certainly if you're willing to answer the phone after midnight you'll get reservations others will miss, but at what price?
In my case, I NEVER answer the inn phone number. All calls must go to voicemail, and I return the ones I want, when I want. But I'm in a position where I don't really hurt if I miss a few reservations. I'm working harder than I meant to already! My motto comes from Gilllum: may you be as busy as you WANT to be!

Yes you have to find that balance. Certainly if you're willing to answer the phone after midnight you'll get reservations others will miss, but at what price?
In my case, I NEVER answer the inn phone number. All calls must go to voicemail, and I return the ones I want, when I want. But I'm in a position where I don't really hurt if I miss a few reservations. I'm working harder than I meant to already! My motto comes from Gilllum: may you be as busy as you WANT to be!.
The hours used to be 9 to 9. Never after 9. That's when the loonies call.
One caller told me another innkeeper answered the phone and said he was out for dinner and would call back later. When Gomez and I finally get away we turn the phone off.

In my case, I NEVER answer the inn phone number. All calls must go to voicemail, and I return the ones I want, when I want. But I'm in a position where I don't really hurt if I miss a few reservations. I'm working harder than I meant to already! My motto comes from Gilllum: may you be as busy as you WANT to be!.
The hours used to be 9 to 9. Never after 9. That's when the loonies call.
One caller told me another innkeeper answered the phone and said he was out for dinner and would call back later. When Gomez and I finally get away we turn the phone off.
Morticia said:
When Gomez and I finally get away we turn the phone off.
thumbs_up.gif
Then you enter my world, known as "the good life"!
We all love our businesses...well most of us do...but it's good to also have a private life off stage! If I took calls, rather than sending them to voicemail, I'd turn my phone off at 5:00. That's quitin' time. I'm a small operation, not a hotel! People who stay with me need to realize that.
But others may reasonably suggest a later hour, because after all, business is business. Maybe 8 p.m. Or for the east coast people maybe 9 p.m., because east coast people stay up late. At least I always assumed they do. They don't have the news until 11:00, and I've been in bed a long time by then...normally.

Our hours are when ever our guests needs us,,,We ALWAYS answer the phone no matter what time or where we are...if we are out we have notepad and pen.It's really not an issue with us.one missed call , they go to the next one.One lady told us recently we were the first to answer the phone after 3 other b&b's didn't answer.....glad we did, it was a 5 night booking. One reason we are very busy, we enjoy what we do.. Don't get me wrong, it is and can be irritating hearing the phone ring all day,but then we are in customer service.

We have posted hours of 8 to 8 (on those listing sites that invite us to enter our hours). The business number is forwarded to one of our cell phones, and we typically will answer it whenever it rings, where ever we are. If we are away from a computer and can't process their request right then and there, we tell them they can make their reservation online, or that they should send us a e-mail. Of course, a lot of the calls are easy to respond to -- "Sorry, we are full," or "Sorry, we have a two-night/three-night/week minimum." I can count on one hand the number of very late night calls we've gotten. Of course, our business is different (we don't call ourselves and "inn") so we are not likely to get those kinds of calls either.
Our previous managers never (or very rarely) answered the phone, letting almost every call go to the answering machine. Since we took over and have been answering the phone, we have discovered that they were missing out on a lot of business.... That said, almost all of our business is by advance reservation done by e-mail.

We have posted hours of 8 to 8 (on those listing sites that invite us to enter our hours). The business number is forwarded to one of our cell phones, and we typically will answer it whenever it rings, where ever we are. If we are away from a computer and can't process their request right then and there, we tell them they can make their reservation online, or that they should send us a e-mail. Of course, a lot of the calls are easy to respond to -- "Sorry, we are full," or "Sorry, we have a two-night/three-night/week minimum." I can count on one hand the number of very late night calls we've gotten. Of course, our business is different (we don't call ourselves and "inn") so we are not likely to get those kinds of calls either.
Our previous managers never (or very rarely) answered the phone, letting almost every call go to the answering machine. Since we took over and have been answering the phone, we have discovered that they were missing out on a lot of business.... That said, almost all of our business is by advance reservation done by e-mail..
I totally agree with you Harborfields, i just don't understand letting calls go to voice mail all the time

Our previous managers never (or very rarely) answered the phone, letting almost every call go to the answering machine. Since we took over and have been answering the phone, we have discovered that they were missing out on a lot of business.... That said, almost all of our business is by advance reservation done by e-mail..
Harborfields said:
Our previous managers never (or very rarely) answered the phone, letting almost every call go to the answering machine. Since we took over and have been answering the phone, we have discovered that they were missing out on a lot of business.... That said, almost all of our business is by advance reservation done by e-mail.
This is a big no no.
This is what we do most of the time now as 99.5% of our calls are not for a booking, and are a total waste of time. It is what we have to deal with in our situation here, if we had all phone bookings then we would treat this differently. It is entirely apples and oranges.
I say that as I hope those reading will understand this. Every inn is different, the clientele and their m.o.
If you don't have everythign set up for EASE OF INFORMATION and EASE OF RESERVING online then you better answer every single call 24/7. (Not saying this about Harborfields, but there are some who don't give the info - a new B&B in our town, for example you had to call to get room prices!)

We absolutely will not answer the phone after hours unless we recognize the number and it is an emergency. But, having said that it seems that we are not having many late night calls either.
I am changing many things. If you read that food for the thought I shared the other day, to put it in a nutshell "I am going to be running this business, this business is not going to be running me"
Get everything in place for guests to easily find infor they want and reserve online!

Our hours are when ever our guests needs us,,,We ALWAYS answer the phone no matter what time or where we are...if we are out we have notepad and pen.It's really not an issue with us.one missed call , they go to the next one.One lady told us recently we were the first to answer the phone after 3 other b&b's didn't answer.....glad we did, it was a 5 night booking. One reason we are very busy, we enjoy what we do.. Don't get me wrong, it is and can be irritating hearing the phone ring all day,but then we are in customer service..
dms121761 said:
Our hours are when ever our guests needs us,,,We ALWAYS answer the phone no matter what time or where we are...if we are out we have notepad and pen.It's really not an issue with us.one missed call , they go to the next one.One lady told us recently we were the first to answer the phone after 3 other b&b's didn't answer.....glad we did, it was a 5 night booking. One reason we are very busy, we enjoy what we do.. Don't get me wrong, it is and can be irritating hearing the phone ring all day,but then we are in customer service.
We recently went out for an innkeeper's dinner with 5 other inns. We were the only innkeepers without a phone at the table. It was enjoyable to eat our dinner in peace as everyone else jumped up from the table to talk to telemarketers.
Even those calls that were legitimate had to be called back after dinner to make the reservation. No one would request someone give their cc info over the phone in the middle of a restaurant! We just checked our voicemail at home and called everyone back.
Like Arks and JB, we're moving toward a lifestyle business where we run the business instead of the other way round.

Harborfields said:
This is a big no no.
This is what we do most of the time now as 99.5% of our calls are not for a booking, and are a total waste of time. It is what we have to deal with in our situation here, if we had all phone bookings then we would treat this differently. It is entirely apples and oranges.
I say that as I hope those reading will understand this. Every inn is different, the clientele and their m.o.
If you don't have everythign set up for EASE OF INFORMATION and EASE OF RESERVING online then you better answer every single call 24/7. (Not saying this about Harborfields, but there are some who don't give the info - a new B&B in our town, for example you had to call to get room prices!)
I agree a lot of calls are not from prospective guests but from phone "spammers," but it just as easy to hang up on them at the time they call as it is to delete their voice mail. Of course, it is still an interruption, but if we really are in the middle of something and have our hands full so to speak, we just don't answer the phone right then.
I also agree that every inn is different and each needs to figure out what works best for their particular situation.

We turn off the ringer at bedtime. Learned that the first week we lived here!

Harborfields said:
This is a big no no.
I agree a lot of calls are not from prospective guests but from phone "spammers," but it just as easy to hang up on them at the time they call as it is to delete their voice mail. Of course, it is still an interruption, but if we really are in the middle of something and have our hands full so to speak, we just don't answer the phone right then.
I also agree that every inn is different and each needs to figure out what works best for their particular situation.
Harborfields said:
I disagree. Picking it up stops the process of wherever you are and whatever you are doing. It is spam, it is wasting time. That is whatI have here, you may have a different set up with less wasted phone calls.
As mentioned, I would gladly answer the calls that equated to $$, but 95% are not, and you can't hang up on the school parents asking for donations for the high school football team. I get to spend 10 minutes telling them we have kids in school, we support them already, we are band boosters, we devote time and money to that...
"Well do you have a name or number of someone else who can help?" "Can we add you to our mailing list for other options?"
and so on and so on... and NO I am not lying to them, we really do these things, already. I literally was on the phone with two robo-calls and then still on the phone with two more marketers (locally)...on the same phone call - this was Monday. I decided to answer every call that day as I was waiting for an urgent call.
I did have the gal in the wheelchair who can't make it up any stairs who called and questioned, and I did spend some time sharing what we offer, not what we can't offer her, specifically. Expressing how wonderful she is getting married and such.

Harborfields said:
This is a big no no.
Harborfields said:
I disagree. Picking it up stops the process of wherever you are and whatever you are doing. It is spam, it is wasting time. That is whatI have here, you may have a different set up with less wasted phone calls.
As mentioned, I would gladly answer the calls that equated to $$, but 95% are not, and you can't hang up on the school parents asking for donations for the high school football team. I get to spend 10 minutes telling them we have kids in school, we support them already, we are band boosters, we devote time and money to that...
"Well do you have a name or number of someone else who can help?" "Can we add you to our mailing list for other options?"
and so on and so on... and NO I am not lying to them, we really do these things, already. I literally was on the phone with two robo-calls and then still on the phone with two more marketers (locally)...on the same phone call - this was Monday. I decided to answer every call that day as I was waiting for an urgent call.
I did have the gal in the wheelchair who can't make it up any stairs who called and questioned, and I did spend some time sharing what we offer, not what we can't offer her, specifically. Expressing how wonderful she is getting married and such.
The caller who rang 3 times after 7pm left another message saying they really need to make their reservation now! They are too busy to call back tomorrow, as the answering machine message says to do if they have questions.
They don't know how to use the internet to buy something? Will find out tonight when we return their call and ask why they kept leaving messages instead of making the reservation themselves.
Is everyone else thinking pita?

I do transfer my phone to my cell when we go out - mainly because it is both the B & B AND our phone. Himself has friends who only have that number or do not have his cell yet. I answer my phone as long as I am at my desk. The phone is on the night stand at night but rarely rings after we turn in - it is mostly for early morning calls before we roll out if there are no guests and no appointments - from friends who are early risers. Usually by 11 I am done for the day.

balance is the key. i think it's helpful for guests to hear that you have 'office hours' ... you can always grab the phone if you choose to. if you don't mention 'office hours' they might keep calling trying to reach you 'live'. had that happen.
if i didn't get enough sleep, i'd be crying making the breakfast at 6 am and i'd be a basket case by noon. so the phone went to voicemail at 9 pm (i could hear it through the speaker in case there was an emergency - but i never had an emergency call) and i hoped to be in bed by 10.

Harborfields said:
This is a big no no.
Harborfields said:
The caller who rang 3 times after 7pm left another message saying they really need to make their reservation now! They are too busy to call back tomorrow, as the answering machine message says to do if they have questions.
They don't know how to use the internet to buy something? Will find out tonight when we return their call and ask why they kept leaving messages instead of making the reservation themselves.
YEP another one for you. You can tell by the messages. I would not return that call.But then again, if you need the $$ who knows?

Harborfields said:
This is a big no no.
Harborfields said:
Morticia said:
They read on the internet that this cheap room has a bathroom 'steps down the hall' and they want to know what that means. Plus, this room has a king size bed, so they need to know if that means they can sleep 4.

I used to be obsessed about answering the phone. I would answer it 24/7. Around year 10, I decided it really was ok to not be in bondage by the phone. One of the main reasons I'm able to walk away or go to town without forwarding it to my cell is the increase of robo & solicitation calls. It's not unusual for us to get 10-15 of these a day. We get so many of them that I find my phone answering voice to be not quite as upbeat as it used to be. More often than not, it's a solicitation call. It wears me down. It interrupts what I'm doing. It takes me away from taking care of my guests.
There has to be a quality of life where you're not afraid to sit down at a restaurant on those rare times you're able to go out and be interrupted by calls that want you to be on the 1st page of google.

Back