Office hours?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have posted hours of 8 to 8 (on those listing sites that invite us to enter our hours). The business number is forwarded to one of our cell phones, and we typically will answer it whenever it rings, where ever we are. If we are away from a computer and can't process their request right then and there, we tell them they can make their reservation online, or that they should send us a e-mail. Of course, a lot of the calls are easy to respond to -- "Sorry, we are full," or "Sorry, we have a two-night/three-night/week minimum." I can count on one hand the number of very late night calls we've gotten. Of course, our business is different (we don't call ourselves and "inn") so we are not likely to get those kinds of calls either.
Our previous managers never (or very rarely) answered the phone, letting almost every call go to the answering machine. Since we took over and have been answering the phone, we have discovered that they were missing out on a lot of business.... That said, almost all of our business is by advance reservation done by e-mail..
Harborfields said:
Our previous managers never (or very rarely) answered the phone, letting almost every call go to the answering machine. Since we took over and have been answering the phone, we have discovered that they were missing out on a lot of business.... That said, almost all of our business is by advance reservation done by e-mail.
This is a big no no.
This is what we do most of the time now as 99.5% of our calls are not for a booking, and are a total waste of time. It is what we have to deal with in our situation here, if we had all phone bookings then we would treat this differently. It is entirely apples and oranges.
I say that as I hope those reading will understand this. Every inn is different, the clientele and their m.o.
If you don't have everythign set up for EASE OF INFORMATION and EASE OF RESERVING online then you better answer every single call 24/7. (Not saying this about Harborfields, but there are some who don't give the info - a new B&B in our town, for example you had to call to get room prices!)
I agree a lot of calls are not from prospective guests but from phone "spammers," but it just as easy to hang up on them at the time they call as it is to delete their voice mail. Of course, it is still an interruption, but if we really are in the middle of something and have our hands full so to speak, we just don't answer the phone right then.
I also agree that every inn is different and each needs to figure out what works best for their particular situation.
Harborfields said:
I agree a lot of calls are not from prospective guests but from phone "spammers," but it just as easy to hang up on them at the time they call as it is to delete their voice mail. Of course, it is still an interruption, but if we really are in the middle of something and have our hands full so to speak, we just don't answer the phone right then.
I also agree that every inn is different and each needs to figure out what works best for their particular situation.
I disagree. Picking it up stops the process of wherever you are and whatever you are doing. It is spam, it is wasting time. That is whatI have here, you may have a different set up with less wasted phone calls.
As mentioned, I would gladly answer the calls that equated to $$, but 95% are not, and you can't hang up on the school parents asking for donations for the high school football team. I get to spend 10 minutes telling them we have kids in school, we support them already, we are band boosters, we devote time and money to that...
"Well do you have a name or number of someone else who can help?" "Can we add you to our mailing list for other options?"
and so on and so on... and NO I am not lying to them, we really do these things, already. I literally was on the phone with two robo-calls and then still on the phone with two more marketers (locally)...on the same phone call - this was Monday. I decided to answer every call that day as I was waiting for an urgent call.
I did have the gal in the wheelchair who can't make it up any stairs who called and questioned, and I did spend some time sharing what we offer, not what we can't offer her, specifically. Expressing how wonderful she is getting married and such.
The caller who rang 3 times after 7pm left another message saying they really need to make their reservation now! They are too busy to call back tomorrow, as the answering machine message says to do if they have questions.
They don't know how to use the internet to buy something? Will find out tonight when we return their call and ask why they kept leaving messages instead of making the reservation themselves.
Is everyone else thinking pita?
Morticia said:
The caller who rang 3 times after 7pm left another message saying they really need to make their reservation now! They are too busy to call back tomorrow, as the answering machine message says to do if they have questions.
And is still calling with 2 weeks left before arrival. No longer wants to speak with me but demands to know the name of the person answering the phone. This person really doesn't get this is a small property. They still think 5-6 employees are on staff at all times to answer the phone and their whims.
Why don't you clue them in? Hi _____, this is Morticia again. We are a small property, just us two, the owners, to answer your questions, no matter when you call, day or night, it will be us that will answer.
They might then realize the nuisance they are.
They'll want to change their room on arrival. And remember they can't eat anything on the menu. After they leave Gomez and I jet off to sunnier climes.
We leave in 4 sleeps. Gomez can explain that expression to you.
Jon Sable said:
We leave in 4 sleeps. Gomez can explain that expression to you.
That's not the same expression he uses. Let me think. 3 days and a wake up? I'll ask when he gets home.

Morticia said:
But we do need a little more family time for Wednesday and Pugsley.
My Dearest Morticia,
I know you want to spend time with the kids but Pugsley passed away a few days ago.
Our condolences to you, Gomez, Uncle Fester, Lurch, Grandmama, Wednesday, Pubert, Cousin Itt and Thing
Then again, I suppose it doesn't matter to an Adams whether the children are alive or dead, they're fun either way. If you take him to the taxidermist soon he will make a lovely doorstop.
Janet
Ken Weatherwax, Pugsley on 'Addams Family,' dies at 59
ABCNews‎ - 3 day ago
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/pugsley-addams-family-dies-27458153

Morticia said:
But we do need a little more family time for Wednesday and Pugsley.
My Dearest Morticia,
I know you want to spend time with the kids but Pugsley passed away a few days ago.
Our condolences to you, Gomez, Uncle Fester, Lurch, Grandmama, Wednesday, Pubert, Cousin Itt and Thing
Then again, I suppose it doesn't matter to an Adams whether the children are alive or dead, they're fun either way. If you take him to the taxidermist soon he will make a lovely doorstop.
Janet
Ken Weatherwax, Pugsley on 'Addams Family,' dies at 59
ABCNews‎ - 3 day ago
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/pugsley-addams-family-dies-27458153.
The family is all in mourning. (Not that you can tell.) Wednesday is beside herself; she's not sure if it was that last little prank. We'll miss the little fella.

Our hours are when ever our guests needs us,,,We ALWAYS answer the phone no matter what time or where we are...if we are out we have notepad and pen.It's really not an issue with us.one missed call , they go to the next one.One lady told us recently we were the first to answer the phone after 3 other b&b's didn't answer.....glad we did, it was a 5 night booking. One reason we are very busy, we enjoy what we do.. Don't get me wrong, it is and can be irritating hearing the phone ring all day,but then we are in customer service..
dms121761 said:
Our hours are when ever our guests needs us,,,We ALWAYS answer the phone no matter what time or where we are...if we are out we have notepad and pen.It's really not an issue with us.one missed call , they go to the next one.One lady told us recently we were the first to answer the phone after 3 other b&b's didn't answer.....glad we did, it was a 5 night booking. One reason we are very busy, we enjoy what we do.. Don't get me wrong, it is and can be irritating hearing the phone ring all day,but then we are in customer service.
Ditto here. ANSWER THE PHONE!! People are calling you for a reason. If I don't answer, then they're on to the next property as we are in a very competitive area (150 B&Bs in the county). Once I had just run out to get the mail. Message on the machine and I called right back - maybe 10 minutes(??) The caller had already called someplace else and booked.
Before my innkeeping life, I was an insurance adjuster. I guess the ideal of customer service has been drilled into me for so long, I can't shake it.

Our hours are when ever our guests needs us,,,We ALWAYS answer the phone no matter what time or where we are...if we are out we have notepad and pen.It's really not an issue with us.one missed call , they go to the next one.One lady told us recently we were the first to answer the phone after 3 other b&b's didn't answer.....glad we did, it was a 5 night booking. One reason we are very busy, we enjoy what we do.. Don't get me wrong, it is and can be irritating hearing the phone ring all day,but then we are in customer service..
dms121761 said:
Our hours are when ever our guests needs us,,,We ALWAYS answer the phone no matter what time or where we are...if we are out we have notepad and pen.It's really not an issue with us.one missed call , they go to the next one.One lady told us recently we were the first to answer the phone after 3 other b&b's didn't answer.....glad we did, it was a 5 night booking. One reason we are very busy, we enjoy what we do.. Don't get me wrong, it is and can be irritating hearing the phone ring all day,but then we are in customer service.
Ditto here. ANSWER THE PHONE!! People are calling you for a reason. If I don't answer, then they're on to the next property as we are in a very competitive area (150 B&Bs in the county). Once I had just run out to get the mail. Message on the machine and I called right back - maybe 10 minutes(??) The caller had already called someplace else and booked.
Before my innkeeping life, I was an insurance adjuster. I guess the ideal of customer service has been drilled into me for so long, I can't shake it.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Once I had just run out to get the mail. Message on the machine and I called right back - maybe 10 minutes(??) The caller had already called someplace else and booked.
Oh yes, it's that fast. When someone is in the mood to get this done, to get the reservation made, they move quickly and want it finalized so they can have it taken care of.
That's why it's so important to offer real time online reservations. No "e-mail a request and we'll get back to you".

dms121761 said:
When we first got here the PO's told us the same thing. If you don't answer the phone they book elsewhere. They had the phone on a bungee cord worn around the neck. This was a portable wall phone. Don't laugh.
For me that didn't work.
This is for me. It doesn't work for everyone. Our voice message is pretty clear about how guests can self serve if they're afraid to wait for a call back.
They other thing we've found is that once the 'other' inns fill up, we can raise our rates and get paid more for the same amount of work.
Again, this works for me. Doesn't work for everyone.
We lived for years with Gomez on 24 call 365 days/year. We didn't want that any longer.

dms121761 said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Once I had just run out to get the mail. Message on the machine and I called right back - maybe 10 minutes(??) The caller had already called someplace else and booked.
Oh yes, it's that fast. When someone is in the mood to get this done, to get the reservation made, they move quickly and want it finalized so they can have it taken care of.
That's why it's so important to offer real time online reservations. No "e-mail a request and we'll get back to you".
in my town - 17 large hotels, 50 bed and breakfasts and 100 serviced apartments at least - give them 5 minutes and yes they will have booked somewhere else.

dms121761 said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
in my town - 17 large hotels, 50 bed and breakfasts and 100 serviced apartments at least - give them 5 minutes and yes they will have booked somewhere else.

We have posted hours of 8 to 8 (on those listing sites that invite us to enter our hours). The business number is forwarded to one of our cell phones, and we typically will answer it whenever it rings, where ever we are. If we are away from a computer and can't process their request right then and there, we tell them they can make their reservation online, or that they should send us a e-mail. Of course, a lot of the calls are easy to respond to -- "Sorry, we are full," or "Sorry, we have a two-night/three-night/week minimum." I can count on one hand the number of very late night calls we've gotten. Of course, our business is different (we don't call ourselves and "inn") so we are not likely to get those kinds of calls either.
Our previous managers never (or very rarely) answered the phone, letting almost every call go to the answering machine. Since we took over and have been answering the phone, we have discovered that they were missing out on a lot of business.... That said, almost all of our business is by advance reservation done by e-mail..
Harborfields said:
Our previous managers never (or very rarely) answered the phone, letting almost every call go to the answering machine. Since we took over and have been answering the phone, we have discovered that they were missing out on a lot of business.... That said, almost all of our business is by advance reservation done by e-mail.
This is a big no no.
This is what we do most of the time now as 99.5% of our calls are not for a booking, and are a total waste of time. It is what we have to deal with in our situation here, if we had all phone bookings then we would treat this differently. It is entirely apples and oranges.
I say that as I hope those reading will understand this. Every inn is different, the clientele and their m.o.
If you don't have everythign set up for EASE OF INFORMATION and EASE OF RESERVING online then you better answer every single call 24/7. (Not saying this about Harborfields, but there are some who don't give the info - a new B&B in our town, for example you had to call to get room prices!)
Harborfields said:
I disagree. Picking it up stops the process of wherever you are and whatever you are doing. It is spam, it is wasting time. That is whatI have here, you may have a different set up with less wasted phone calls.
As mentioned, I would gladly answer the calls that equated to $$, but 95% are not, and you can't hang up on the school parents asking for donations for the high school football team. I get to spend 10 minutes telling them we have kids in school, we support them already, we are band boosters, we devote time and money to that...
"Well do you have a name or number of someone else who can help?" "Can we add you to our mailing list for other options?"
and so on and so on... and NO I am not lying to them, we really do these things, already. I literally was on the phone with two robo-calls and then still on the phone with two more marketers (locally)...on the same phone call - this was Monday. I decided to answer every call that day as I was waiting for an urgent call.
I did have the gal in the wheelchair who can't make it up any stairs who called and questioned, and I did spend some time sharing what we offer, not what we can't offer her, specifically. Expressing how wonderful she is getting married and such.
They don't know how to use the internet to buy something? Will find out tonight when we return their call and ask why they kept leaving messages instead of making the reservation themselves.
Is everyone else thinking pita?
Morticia said:
And is still calling with 2 weeks left before arrival. No longer wants to speak with me but demands to know the name of the person answering the phone. This person really doesn't get this is a small property. They still think 5-6 employees are on staff at all times to answer the phone and their whims.
We had one, too (excessive caller). Gets to be funny after awhile.

A quick note on the guest with the itchy phone finger - one of them was very particular about the room. So which one checked in and saw the room? The other one. Correct. The particular one was shopping and would come later. Probably after I was in bed, if there was a problem.
Cleaning the room - thermostat up to 78. These are not southerners, where excessively high temps are normal. They must have frozen at breakfast as the dining room was only 67. They told us they wouldn't be back until after dinner.
I know, they paid for it. It's one of those annoyances I have to let go or else get wireless thermostats I can control from my bunker.

I'm late responding, but for whatever it is worth we post a time range of 9 to 9, in actual practice it means I don't answer the phone during the night, still answer the doorbell as we sometimes get late arrivals or the passerby who thought I was just sitting there in case they needed directions at 3AM.
Even during our posted hours there are times that we will be away from the phone cleaning or tending the gardening in season, I usually tell folks the best time to catch us near the phone is early evening.

I'm late responding, but for whatever it is worth we post a time range of 9 to 9, in actual practice it means I don't answer the phone during the night, still answer the doorbell as we sometimes get late arrivals or the passerby who thought I was just sitting there in case they needed directions at 3AM.
Even during our posted hours there are times that we will be away from the phone cleaning or tending the gardening in season, I usually tell folks the best time to catch us near the phone is early evening..
Speaking of giving directions - had a call today from someone wanting to know if we had a playground for the children. Then wanted to know when the shops closed. And what was the phone number for the mall.
I was totally confused. I explained she'd called a b&b and was she asking if we had a playground. No, for the mall. Did the mall have a playground.
More confusion. No idea where she got my number or why she called it. Happens a lot.
And why she wanted to drive 3 hours for a playground still stumps me.

Even during our posted hours there are times that we will be away from the phone cleaning or tending the gardening in season, I usually tell folks the best time to catch us near the phone is early evening..
Speaking of giving directions - had a call today from someone wanting to know if we had a playground for the children. Then wanted to know when the shops closed. And what was the phone number for the mall.
I was totally confused. I explained she'd called a b&b and was she asking if we had a playground. No, for the mall. Did the mall have a playground.
More confusion. No idea where she got my number or why she called it. Happens a lot.
Morticia said:
The drive is for the shopping. She wants to be able to play while her children shop. ;-)

Morticia said:
The drive is for the shopping. She wants to be able to play while her children shop. ;-)
Played dumb on the phone. Of course she wanted a playground for the kids while she shopped but I can't imagine driving all that way to dump the kids in a strange town.
Maybe she was thinking it was an indoor mall with playground attendants in place.
I almost suggested she look up the mall of America but a didn't want to be snarky. It's my new persona.

We took a call on Christmas day around 5pm. It resulted in us getting two rooms for two nights (starting the day after Christmas). They said we were the only people that answered the phone that day. It was totally worth it for us.
We were having dinner at a friend's house just 10 minutes from the Inn. We would have gone up there for a walk-in, so we didn't mind answering. It's all about how badly you want the rooms.
We usually answer until 8pm. I figure if they are going to call around, I'd rather get them hooked into us than let them get to the next place.

balance is the key. i think it's helpful for guests to hear that you have 'office hours' ... you can always grab the phone if you choose to. if you don't mention 'office hours' they might keep calling trying to reach you 'live'. had that happen.
if i didn't get enough sleep, i'd be crying making the breakfast at 6 am and i'd be a basket case by noon. so the phone went to voicemail at 9 pm (i could hear it through the speaker in case there was an emergency - but i never had an emergency call) and i hoped to be in bed by 10.
I know this is an old post, but I’m bringing it back! What about check in hours? Our check in hours are listed as 3-10pm and we keep finding ourselves waiting until 12am-1am for our last reservation check ins to arrive. Part of our problem is that we are at the mercy of booking.com. But how do you get people to respect your office/check in hours? We understand running a little late but like tonight our guests who listed their arrival time as 9-10pm knowing our check in hours called at 10pm to say they won’t be here until midnight. They told us where they were coming from, which means they didn’t even get on the road until an hour before their arrival time even though it’s a three hour drive. On top of that, I call my guests checking in that day to ask estimated arrival times. I had called them four times since 2pm and it went right to voicemail every time. Then they called me at 10pm.

...we keep finding ourselves waiting until 12am-1am for our last reservation check ins to arrive...
You really need to come up with a way to have self-check-in. A door key code or a lock box they can use to get their key, along with good arrival instructions.

Also, find a way to NOT be at the mercy of Booking! I fired them years ago and have never regretted it! They are really not set up to be compatible with anything but traditional hotels.

I wait up because that is what I do. My check-in is 4 to 7. IF I have to be somewhere, I DO contact them and request they come before or after my commitment. With people who have been here before - like tonight - they know how to get into the house and where to go. A couple years ago, the guest arrived on Friday night while I was at my high school reunion and left me a note what time for breakfast Sunday - the first I saw him. the hard ones are the 11 - Midnight arrivals that want a 7 AM breakfast - thankfully few and far between.

This is stay #6 for tonight's guests. I have to be at the Park at 4:30 (Independence Celebration & concert was postponed due to rain). They are brining me some ground venison so will come in, put the venison in the freezer & eggs from their chickens in the fridge before coming out to the Park for the concert & fireworks. They told me they are coming up to visit with ME, not to do anything (paying me to visit with me AND bringing venison!) so they are coming to the Park for my concert - I will be playing bass drum, triangle, tambourine, AND THE GONG!! I get to beat on things!

What about check in hours? Our check in hours are listed as 3-10pm and we keep finding ourselves waiting until 12am-1am for our last reservation check ins to arrive. Part of our problem is that we are at the mercy of booking.com.
The disconnect with my guest rather than the commission is the reason I don't participate with the OTA's, that personal connection is what makes the small lodging place different/superior to a large property.

Our check in hours are 2 to 9 pm. Our emails before arrival (through Reservation Key) remind folks of this, I try to nicely say that if they are delayed and see that they may arrive late they need to call early evening and make arrangements if they expect to have a room (at bedtime I put out the no rooms sign and go to bed).

Back