Office Hours

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I saw this on another thread, do you have proper office hours? Or do you TRY to have proper office hours? Seems we like to be all to all and break all of our own structure in this business when we know we should try to maintain it. I think this is A-Okay to have on your website. Your thoughts?
OFFICE HOURS 9:30AM-7:00PM DAILY

Other than lisitng reservations hours as 10am to 10pm, we don't have office hours.

we answer the phone up to 8pm. We run wine tours so I often tell guests they can reach us best 6 - 8.
RIki

It's not a bad idea. I'm sure we're not alone in receiving calls very late in the evening.

I don't think we state it that way, more like, 'Please call between 9 AM and 9 PM EST.' 'Office hours' might make it sound like no one is there outside those hours which might scare off some guests who want someone on site at night.
If I'm awake and the computer is on I'll answer the phone later than 9 PM.

Here's what I have on the website:
"You may book online or send us an email inquiry 24 hours a day. You may also call us at xxx-xxx-xxxx between 8 AM and 9 PM for more information."
We also don't take walk-ins unless it's a referral from someone we know.
I now tell our guests in house during the room tour to make note of my cell phone number (it's on the Welcome Letter in the room books in big red print & I point it out) because I don't answer the reservation line after 9 PM.
If I actually get finished with everything by 9 PM, that is my time or family time. :)

"You may book online or send us an email inquiry 24 hours a day. You may also call us at xxx-xxx-xxxx between 8 AM and 9 PM for more information."
I now tell our guests in house during the room tour to make note of my cell phone number (it's on the Welcome Letter in the room books in big red print & I point it out) because I don't answer the reservation line after 9 PM.
If I actually get finished with everything by 9 PM, that is my time or family time. :).
That is very up front and easy to understand.

Some days guests arrive so late and unlike prev threads about self check ins, I am determined to get back to that. Check in is 3-8pm, if you arrive AFTER that it will be a self check in. Days are just far too long for up at 6 or 7am at the latest and still waiting on guests at 10pm. We need to have some down time. We need to eat, sleep and the other.
cheers.gif

Some days guests arrive so late and unlike prev threads about self check ins, I am determined to get back to that. Check in is 3-8pm, if you arrive AFTER that it will be a self check in. Days are just far too long for up at 6 or 7am at the latest and still waiting on guests at 10pm. We need to have some down time. We need to eat, sleep and the other.
cheers.gif
Today we are on both ends of the spectrum. One early arrival at 11 AM- planned and paid for- and the next one at midnight, also planned but not paid for as it doesn't cause as much hustle for a late arrival. This is what guests do not see when they push for their own needs. No one will be waiting up for the late arrival but the late arrival may wake everyone up with small children in the mix. And then we have to be up the next morning and ready to feed everyone who doesn't know about the late arrivals and the bells ringing and the phones ringing all night.
Perhaps guests think we should hire staff to cover this, but that is not a viable solution for everyone.
When guests are staying multiple nights and I know we will have the chance to get to know them a little more it is easier to have the early or the late arrival. But when this is just a flop house- which is how it feels to us at times- then it is less appealing to have those guests be somuch more needy than 3 or 4 night stays.
Our check in is from 3 to 7. We will do a later check in until 9 where the innkeepers will greet the guest. After that you are on your own to check yourself in. We all need a chance to relax with our own people, to take our shoes off and walk around with holey socks.

If I actually get finished with everything by 9 PM, that is my time or family time. :).
That is very up front and easy to understand.
JBJ convinced me about KISS :)

I have no office hours. I work a full time job outside the B&B so am not available at the house. Guests always have my cell phone to call anytime they want.
Guests arrange check in time because most fly in and are hostage to the airlines. So I arrange check in according to that.

I have no office hours. I work a full time job outside the B&B so am not available at the house. Guests always have my cell phone to call anytime they want.
Guests arrange check in time because most fly in and are hostage to the airlines. So I arrange check in according to that..
hawley said:
Guests arrange check in time because most fly in and are hostage to the airlines. So I arrange check in according to that.
You are a very nice (and flexible) person.
regular_smile.gif
Your situation is a little different, so I can see how you would have to flexible. Most of us are stuck in place and are subject to all the early and late arrivals and juggling our schedules around them.
sad_smile.gif

Back