Oh Bloody Joy!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
A guest who arrives next week, for a 7-night stay, emailed to forewarn me that she's on a blood thinner and her nose bleeds on the pillow most nights. She promises she can get the blood out herself, at the bathroom sink, but she said she'll need extra bed linens in the room so she has dry ones to put on after she washes a set.

I suggested that hydrogen peroxide works wonders on removing fresh blood stains, and that yes we'll supply extras linens.

Anyone have any additional suggestions?

Waterproof pillow covers so you don’t have to toss the pillows after she leaves.

We use an enzyme based cleaning spot-spray to deal. I'd put the bottle in her bathroom: spot spray and leave on floor for replacement. Blood happens.

She should have offered to bring her own pillow. Maybe get a less expensive pillow for her stay.

Swap the pillows out for the ones soonest to be replaced, just in case they aren't savable.

I suddenly understand a possible explanation for guests who bring what looks to me to be a ratty old pillow ... except when they accidentally swap it out for a nice one at your place and leave the old behind.

yes, as beach house says, she should bring her own pillow. ... would you ask?

I had waterproof pillow covers ... the kind that don’t rustle... that go over the pillow and go under the pillow case.
Is there a place in her room or suite to hang up rinsed out things? Otherwise, she’ll need to be provided with a bin or something and I’d be taking away those pillowcases every day to be sure to get the stains out and because she’ll need to hang up rinsed out things maybe somewhere you prefer she didn’t. I had guests rinse out pantyhose and underclothes and drape them over lamp shades and curtain rods to dry ... 🧐 so classy seeing underwear hanging in the inn windows! Haha

Maybe not my best pillows inside the pillow covers for her stay.

I guess I’d file this under ‘at least they told you’.

I use Murphy's Oil Soap on my stains - including blood. Gets it out. OLD PILLOWS only. Ones you would not mind throwing out. It gets out stains at my sister's beauty shop too.

All my pillows are in waterproof/bedbugproof covers. I have no idea which ones are older or newer. I'm not worried about the pillows, just the pillow cases. Good idea to suggest she bring her own, but she's flying and probably doesn't want to go that route.

The suite has a washer/dryer and she's promising she'll get any stains out, so I've decided to not worry about it...for now!

All my pillows are in waterproof/bedbugproof covers. I have no idea which ones are older or newer. I'm not worried about the pillows, just the pillow cases. Good idea to suggest she bring her own, but she's flying and probably doesn't want to go that route.

The suite has a washer/dryer and she's promising she'll get any stains out, so I've decided to not worry about it...for now!
Then, she really only needs a couple of pillowcases. One on the pillow, one being cleaned. It won’t be bad.

My poor mom had a problem with that, too. The first time it happened she was on vacation. She was so embarrassed to leave that mess behind she never went back to that hotel even tho she really liked everyone there.

fwiw, I would also have a waterproof mattress cover and comforter cover. When you're on blood thinners and sleeping, it is so easy to scratch or open a wound and get blood just about anywhere, not just pillows. Hydrogen Peroxide works great. Maybe leave a bottle in her bathroom. It's not their fault.

Had a new one today: Guest at checkout confessed that "I just had some work done on my tattoos yesterday, and I may have gotten some ink on your sheets overnight."

Found some ink stains. Not as awful as I imagined, but given our high standards makes the fitted sheet unusable if I can't get it out. Just pretreated with GooGone and gonna see what it looks like out of the washer. If I can get it out it goes into the dryer and back into circulation. Truthfully, even if it does, GooGone is such a corrosive pretreat that it shortens the life of fabrics we use it on.

The presumption we’re always supposed to just absorb the cost of a new sheet (or something else) they ruin baffles me.. I must look really wealthy to the guests.. (rant over)

Back