OH, I'm PEEVED!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
To spur a little extra business during the winter, beginning of the year months, I usually offer a BOGO special - 'Buy one night, get the 2nd night for $20.16' (last year it was $20.15). I picked up this little gimmick from the local restaurant week. I've been surprised that I get more traffic on this than a total 'buy one get one free' special. There are some restrictions - only Sunday- Thursday nights for the cheapie night and no holidays (MLK, President's Day, Valentines Day). But if a guest would like to stay 4 nights over a weekend (Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun), they could do it for less than the price of 3 nights.
I participate in the BBDC program where they also market us to other OTA's like Xpeedia, Prclne, etc. So, I had BBDC put this BOGO special out there. I got a few takers thru the OTA's, but more direct calls, which I was happy about since BBDC takes 20% after the BOGO is applied. So on a $129 room for two nights, I'd get $119.33 ($129 + $20.16 less 20%).
So imagine my surprise when I get a 3-day booking and they pay me only $179.58 when I should have received $222.53. So, I email them, explaining the math and asking what happened because I cannot figure out how they arrived at $179.58. Oh, they say that my Xpeedia offer is 42% off. WHAT!!!???
angry_smile.gif
I never authorized this!! I have no idea how my BOGO special could have morphed into 42% off. Then the 'customer service' rep has the gall to say: "I would personally never recommend offering discount on Xpeedia bookings only because you are already charged 20% commission" Oh, I am beyond pi$$ed! I wrote back, cc'ing everyone I have ever dealt with at BBDC. They had better fix this.

How frustrating for you. I was very surprised last week to have a visit from a sales rep for Xpeedia. He said since a lot of people are using B kingdotcom that they are having to get out and market themselves by lowering their commission, which I was told was 15%. It's intrigued me since this winter has been one of our slowest on record. After reading different posts on here I'm still very leery to hop on their band wagon although the exposure would be great for us, but not sure the frustration would be worth it.

I got a visit from a rep back in July. They offered me my first year at 12%, then up to 15%. Thought I would give them a try. Wow! They've blown B**king out of the water for me. So far, so good. And so far, no bad credit cards.

I think what they do is look at the total cost of two nights and extrapolate from there. Thus, each night is 42% off rather than one night at full rate and the next at the discounted price. Then, throw in a third night at the same discounted rate. Their computers can't do the math that a human can do.
That's how they end up telling guests our room rate is $147, when we have zero rooms at that rate.
What a pain.

I got a visit from a rep back in July. They offered me my first year at 12%, then up to 15%. Thought I would give them a try. Wow! They've blown B**king out of the water for me. So far, so good. And so far, no bad credit cards..
That's so good to hear. I am very close to giving it a try.

Good lord, what are they thinking? The biggest problem is we are little, they are big and the big boys rule. I am so sorry they are doing this to you. I truly hope you are the exception and you win.

we do well with them as one of their creatures Ho te ls .c om does 10 nights 11th is free ie you add them up like a stamp card for a coffee shop- then they either if self employed benefit or they take the wife away - and it comes out of my commission bill so is good for me to.

15 percent huh. Guess I should call and try and renegotiate. I'm sure the loss of my 9 rooms would totally tank their stock price.

15 percent huh. Guess I should call and try and renegotiate. I'm sure the loss of my 9 rooms would totally tank their stock price..
I told the rep I understood the newbie rate was 12%. I was told that was only in certain markets. Obviously not mine. ;-)

15 percent huh. Guess I should call and try and renegotiate. I'm sure the loss of my 9 rooms would totally tank their stock price..
I told the rep I understood the newbie rate was 12%. I was told that was only in certain markets. Obviously not mine. ;-)
Heck, 15% ain't the going rate here on commission either. But under the new program, I don't have to guarantee them any rooms.

Ugh! The issues with them just continue! Every day it's something else. Earlier last week a guest who had booked two nights for this week emailed and said that he could only stay one night. No problem for me, but since he booked thru xpeda, he would have to contact them to change the reservation. This reservation, when it was two nights, met the criteria for the bogo special - meaning that the first night was full price and the 2nd night was $20.16.
So, what do you think BB.Com did? They cut my reimbursement in half!! So, instead of 80% of the $129, I'm getting half of 80% of $129 + $20.16!! I'm currently in a pi&&ing match with them! Their 'customer service' people are a joke. I have to go above them to someone else before anything really gets resolved. And then, they have the nerve to send me a survey!! OMG!
angry_smile.gif

Ugh! The issues with them just continue! Every day it's something else. Earlier last week a guest who had booked two nights for this week emailed and said that he could only stay one night. No problem for me, but since he booked thru xpeda, he would have to contact them to change the reservation. This reservation, when it was two nights, met the criteria for the bogo special - meaning that the first night was full price and the 2nd night was $20.16.
So, what do you think BB.Com did? They cut my reimbursement in half!! So, instead of 80% of the $129, I'm getting half of 80% of $129 + $20.16!! I'm currently in a pi&&ing match with them! Their 'customer service' people are a joke. I have to go above them to someone else before anything really gets resolved. And then, they have the nerve to send me a survey!! OMG!
angry_smile.gif
Call them up and YELL. I used to speak to Cledstone (he's great), but I'm not sure he does CS anymore. Make it clear they should have cancelled the reservation at no charge and rebooked it, because the discount deal no longer applied.

angry_smile.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
angry_smile.gif
I would not offer these special deals through OTAs, keep those directly for those that book direct.

I got a visit from a rep back in July. They offered me my first year at 12%, then up to 15%. Thought I would give them a try. Wow! They've blown B**king out of the water for me. So far, so good. And so far, no bad credit cards..
Same with us. 12% first year - 15% after that. Twice as many bookings as B;;king. Which is still not that many.

Back