oh my gosh! I need some insite here

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
I was looking at my stats and notices that we got a ton of hits on Jan 4th, to my Christmas page, during ONE HOUR, from ALL OVER THE WORLD!
What in the WORLD happened on Jan 4th???!!!!
HOW on earth do I find out what happened to draw all these visitors to my site! I wanna repeat it!! I do, I do!

Did you get reservations from all over the world during that time? - Traffic is not the same as conversions... often especially during a spike like that.
If your analytics tells you they were from all over the world, it should also be able to tell you whether they were from search (organic or paid), what the search query was or whether they were from some other referrer. If they were from some other referrer, you should be able to then go see what it was. With most stats packages, there is no reason for this to be a guessing game for you.

Just because they came to your site...doesn't mean much...it is probably a bunch of bots out there culling sites. Just like the ones that hit this site and start spamming. You didn't do anything. Delve further into your stats and you can probably see what has happened.

Did you get reservations from all over the world during that time? - Traffic is not the same as conversions... often especially during a spike like that.
If your analytics tells you they were from all over the world, it should also be able to tell you whether they were from search (organic or paid), what the search query was or whether they were from some other referrer. If they were from some other referrer, you should be able to then go see what it was. With most stats packages, there is no reason for this to be a guessing game for you..
Yes, it shows that the 'referrer' in 40% came from a 'news media', but I couldn't find anything when I searched. The rest came from a direct link to my site /page.
and no, no reservations came from it.
sad_smile.gif

It was a 1700 % increase for that period of time!

Whenever I have a date that has weird traffic, I isolate that date so I'm only looking at that data.

If your analytics tells you they were from all over the world, it should also be able to tell you whether they were from search (organic or paid), what the search query was or whether they were from some other referrer. If they were from some other referrer, you should be able to then go see what it was. With most stats packages, there is no reason for this to be a guessing game for you..
Yes, it shows that the 'referrer' in 40% came from a 'news media', but I couldn't find anything when I searched. The rest came from a direct link to my site /page.
and no, no reservations came from it.
sad_smile.gif

It was a 1700 % increase for that period of time!
Your stats package should show you the linking page that in the "news media" that the visitors came from.

Back