oh my.. they just searched my house!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
I can't believe this! We were in the kitchen preparing breakfast and my husband went out to refresh coffee and there was a "stranger" just outside the dining room. He said he was looking for his daughter. My husband told him all our guest were right there at the dining room table and there was no one else here. Just then a woman comes down the stairs and says "I've just searche the rooms, she's not here! All the doors were wide open and no one was in the rooms."
UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!
I can't believe they thought it was "OK" to just walk right in during breakfast and search the rooms!

Wonder who will have a front door access keypad next...and keep the rooms locked next...just wondering. It is always one innstance like this that gets your ire and makes these changes...they think it is a PUBLIC place and can do whatever they feel like.
Now that got your adrenaline rushing!
Never a dull moment running an inn...you and hubby will laugh about it later.
PS One innmate was on the loo when someone did this a few years ago, searching or opening doors because they wanted to.

Wow - maybe I'm wrong here, but I think I might have called the police. Someone entered the premises - not a guest, not with permission - and searched every room? If nothing else, I'd want it documented in case they stole from my guests. And I understand they were searching for their daughter...or they said they were.

I told someone your story and they said:
"Looking for their daughter? Right!! Did she hold the couple and call police? OR see if anything was missing from the guests rooms? Old ruse >> one stays and other rumages thru stuff.
Gypsies have always done that. Can my daughter use your bathroom????"

WHAT??? And did they say anything else to you? What is going on here? I would have called the cops right then and there. Who or where do they think they are??? FOlks ..keep your doors locked at all times.

Sunshine said:
"... All the doors were wide open and no one was in the rooms."
UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!
You're right. I can't believe your doors were unlocked. If the house was open to where anyone can enter, this is what you'll get. Lock your entry doors and encourage guests to take their guest keys when they leave their room and lock the doors.
Take nothing for granted. Don't become paranoid, but stay vigilant.

I would lock the front door, specially if you take walk-ins or are in a populated foot trafic area-and I would definantely go to the police and report it at the least.

As I was reading your post, my first thought 911. These people do not have the right to go searching your home - B&B or not. They would not be able to do this at a hotel. And as JB pointed out, this is the way some criminals work... You would not expect a couple to steal, and that is what they want you to think. It is not until later that you get that feeling. And given that this is a typical busy time frame for everyone... you preparing & delivering food, and all the guests focused on their morning breakfast and the agenda for the day... guards are down all around.

we lock our outside doors at all times and guests are requested to lock their doors if they don't and things get stolen it is their own fault. The chamber maid here went into a room and it was unlocked and all electrical stuff and computer etc just lying about! I told him off when he came back mind.

You have to remember, a lot of people do not know what a B&B is .. they think it's like a hotel and they can just walk in .. although I have to say that looking into the rooms is a bit odd .....

You have to remember, a lot of people do not know what a B&B is .. they think it's like a hotel and they can just walk in .. although I have to say that looking into the rooms is a bit odd ......
Yes that may be the case...but searching rooms is far more than just ODD....they should have been detained and the police called. NO one can go into a hotel searching for someone in a room...why should they be able to do so in a B & B?

Full table today, I am on my own working it out in the kitchen...getting ready to serve the food hot on every plate (which included eggs - you know what I was up against) and I hear someone trying to get in the front door, the table is all laughter and talking and me (tuned into all the specific noises in the house like y'all are at your places) hear it and keep on keepin' on. Thought of this thread tho.

You have to remember, a lot of people do not know what a B&B is .. they think it's like a hotel and they can just walk in .. although I have to say that looking into the rooms is a bit odd ......
Yes that may be the case...but searching rooms is far more than just ODD....they should have been detained and the police called. NO one can go into a hotel searching for someone in a room...why should they be able to do so in a B & B?
Trust me when I worked in hotels (large and small, city and leisure) I would often find "non guests" peering into rooms to see what they looked like and there was always a major array of reasons they were on the floors.

What was the outcome of this? I would definitely be worried that this was a ruse to pilfer from the guests' belongings OR to case the place. Big red flag!
Good reminder to keep the front door locked and caution the guests to protect their own personal belongings. We often had guests ask if they should lock their guest room door and my answer was to consider it like a hotel.
We don't really "know" who is staying with us.

Back