Oh no...more snow!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Well looks like we are in for another n'oreaster snow storm /blizzard starting Friday. They are already panicing people around here. Wal Mart is out of milk, eggs and bread right now!!! Gheez. A friend told me his brother in law, a local sheriff has been told to bring change of clothes and sleeping bag with him when he comes in for duty already. Gosh...I don't know how you people in the real snow zones do this:-(

I live in South Dakota. We already have 43 inches on the ground and still have roughly 3 more months of winter to go through. It's not easy but you get used to stocking up on basics (mostly canned goods and water, toiletries, etc) in the fall to ensure you have supplies all winter and don't have to run to WalMart and hope they have what you want.

Let the weekend cancellations begin. I am offering rebookings for everyone, no refunds.

I'll take a little of that snow off your hands...it's good for business when you live next to the Ski Resort!

We're not getting any of this weather and guests are already calling to ask if there will be any snow. They want to cancel because there's no snow in the forecast! They want snow! Just don't want to drive thru it to get here.
It's the same thing here...if the talking heads on TV get all wound up about the snow, the stores are emptied. People who don't even eat eggs will buy them because it's what they heard you're supposed to do. But no one here stays home because of the forecasts.

You guys have had more snow than us this winter! A flurry here and there, but except for that one cold snap with snow, not much!
=)
Kk.

today we had snow showers in the sun for hours. and it was so so cold. very strange.
i hope you all get through the snow okay.

We are going to get hit. It's bad here because they don't normally get a lot of snow, so not enough equipment to do more than the highways. We are losing a lot of income from this - three weekends now that we have to tell people not to come unless they are driving a jeep.
Riki

We are going to get hit. It's bad here because they don't normally get a lot of snow, so not enough equipment to do more than the highways. We are losing a lot of income from this - three weekends now that we have to tell people not to come unless they are driving a jeep.
Riki.
Sorry but I wouldn't be driving out in anything. People are foolish to be out in stuff like this when they don't have to be. I keep hoping it won't be as bad as they are making it sound...they try and panic everyone..and are doing a good job of it. I am making my husband go out and get more gas so he has plenty for the generator and snow blower. ...Just sitting here and waiting....:-(

Riki.
Sorry but I wouldn't be driving out in anything. People are foolish to be out in stuff like this when they don't have to be. I keep hoping it won't be as bad as they are making it sound...they try and panic everyone..and are doing a good job of it. I am making my husband go out and get more gas so he has plenty for the generator and snow blower. ...Just sitting here and waiting....:-(
My parents went south to avoid the winter! They hit VA last week and had to stop. They were going to FL but decided to stick to SC where it's not snowing and not raining (at the moment). At home (where they live) it's sunny!

Riki.
Riki when you do that do you have to give their deposit back or do you keep it and ask them to rebook a later date?

Riki.
Riki when you do that do you have to give their deposit back or do you keep it and ask them to rebook a later date?
Rupert said:
For the B&B we are still so small we don't take the deposit up front unless they call for a last minute booking. So we give them a cancellation number (I am the paranoid type- what if they do decide to come after all and I rebook the room or something - I want proof of cancellation) and just let them rebook if they wish. Remember, I still work at the university so the income pays our mortgage which gives us more leeway.
If it's a tour I usually have a $50 deposit in the form of a check to avoid people trying to do chargeback. I either offer to refund or rebook, whichever they want. So far none have asked for the $$ back out of four couples who were booked. I think they still want the tours.
Interestingly, the tours RARELY (knock on my head for some wood) cancel - the B&B not often, but this month we have had several.
RIki

Riki.
Rupert said:
For the B&B we are still so small we don't take the deposit up front unless they call for a last minute booking. So we give them a cancellation number (I am the paranoid type- what if they do decide to come after all and I rebook the room or something - I want proof of cancellation) and just let them rebook if they wish. Remember, I still work at the university so the income pays our mortgage which gives us more leeway.
If it's a tour I usually have a $50 deposit in the form of a check to avoid people trying to do chargeback. I either offer to refund or rebook, whichever they want. So far none have asked for the $$ back out of four couples who were booked. I think they still want the tours.
Interestingly, the tours RARELY (knock on my head for some wood) cancel - the B&B not often, but this month we have had several.
RIki
I just had my first cancellation request for this weekend and I am just offering everyone to rebook at a later date. Everyone is on a winter discounted rate this weekend so if they rebook between now and the end of March that rate stays, otherwise they pay the rate difference. I don't plan to give any deposits back and I'm hoping this solution will be amenable to all the guests. I just emailed the rest of the people on the books with the same offer. I'm hoping they all just rebook later, I already got snowed in with 19 people in December and I would much rather be snowed in with just hubs and the dog...less pressure!

We are under a winter storm warning starting tomorrow. Supposed to have up to 6 or more inches from Friday into Saturday. We are supposed to go down to 8 degrees Sunday night into Monday! I forsee and all-nighter for me in the near future.

Riki.
Rupert said:
RIki
I just had my first cancellation request for this weekend and I am just offering everyone to rebook at a later date. Everyone is on a winter discounted rate this weekend so if they rebook between now and the end of March that rate stays, otherwise they pay the rate difference. I don't plan to give any deposits back and I'm hoping this solution will be amenable to all the guests. I just emailed the rest of the people on the books with the same offer. I'm hoping they all just rebook later, I already got snowed in with 19 people in December and I would much rather be snowed in with just hubs and the dog...less pressure!
Would you believe someone just emailed me a request for a stay and wine tour this weekend??? They are predicting up to 20 inches here.
RIki

Riki.
Rupert said:
RIki
Would you believe someone just emailed me a request for a stay and wine tour this weekend??? They are predicting up to 20 inches here.
RIki
Where have they been??? Out of touch with the world I guess:-( I just made it back from Walmart. I needed Cat food and cat litter:) You can tell where my priorities are..ha ha. It was a zoo. The entire parking lot was full, every register open and lines at least 10 deep at every one of them. Oh well. got to have your SuperBowl snacks early this year. Stay safe everyone.

Robins.jpg

I have a flock of robins eating the crabapples on my trees. It's early for robins, especially with 6" snow on the ground. We got the tail end of the eastern blizzard. So sorry for all of you who are snowed in and without power.

I live in South Dakota. We already have 43 inches on the ground and still have roughly 3 more months of winter to go through. It's not easy but you get used to stocking up on basics (mostly canned goods and water, toiletries, etc) in the fall to ensure you have supplies all winter and don't have to run to WalMart and hope they have what you want..
Hi srlathrop, Welcome to Innspiring
welcome.gif

I live in South Dakota. We already have 43 inches on the ground and still have roughly 3 more months of winter to go through. It's not easy but you get used to stocking up on basics (mostly canned goods and water, toiletries, etc) in the fall to ensure you have supplies all winter and don't have to run to WalMart and hope they have what you want..
Hi srlathrop, Welcome to Innspiring
welcome.gif

Thanks Swirt,
I am kinda lurking right now and learning lots and lots! I hope to become more active in the near future after I get through all of the posts (which could take a while.....LOL)

Welcome to the Forum. Stay warm!

Back