Ok, I've now joined the ranks of disappointment with bandb.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
Going to Charleston, SC - looking for a nice place to stay for Sat. and Sunday nights - checked out B&B.com and saw they were having a promotion - buy $250 worth of GC, get $75 free - sounded like a good idea to me. Signed up (after checking to see if any that I wanted to go to accept them as I know there are a lot that don't). Found a few with availability even! Great! Push all the right buttons, sign up for the e-mail version since there is no time to send me one and they even say "Short on time? You can choose to have the gift card delivered instantly by email to the recipient, or email it to yourself to be printed at home — there's no need to wait for it to be shipped!"
..go to print it out and lo and behold there is a 7 day waiting period - I can't use them until 1/11/11! Well, that will do me no good whatsoever! So I called and sent them an e-mail admitting that it was my fault for not reading the fine print in the terms and conditions - response was "sorry - nothing we can do about it" End of discussion, have a nice day.
I'm sorry but that is definitely something they should have up front and center on their order page - you have to click onto "terms and conditions" twice before getting that particular information!
So, GillumHouse I am guilty of kinda waiting till the last minute to make a reservation - we have rooms booked at the hotel for Sat. and Sunday nights, but I thought it would be fun to stay downtown and since the hotels let you change at the last minute I was going to take advantage of that if I could. Now I don't know what to do!
Here comes the question to all of you out there who accept B&B.com GC's - would you, as an owner, allow me to use the card and just run it through on the 11th? Am I asking too much? Maybe if I find a place that is also disgruntled with B&B.com and if I'm really, really nice? My theory is you never know until you ask, but I wanted to get your opinions too.

Are you aware that B&B.com charges commission on the $75 "free" gift card to the inns that accept them? So, you got a "free" $75 gift card and the inn will have to pay 20% or so to accept? I am indignant on the behalf of the inns for that reason alone.

Are you aware that B&B.com charges commission on the $75 "free" gift card to the inns that accept them? So, you got a "free" $75 gift card and the inn will have to pay 20% or so to accept? I am indignant on the behalf of the inns for that reason alone..
See, that is the kind of thing I do not know - is that why B&B's don't like them anymore? Would the same hold true for the $250 then - the B&B's are the ones paying for them basically? But it is a form of marketing I guess, right? 20% is pretty steep tho.

I would prefer that an Innkeeper asks me for a spec rate, yes we get hit with a 20-30% comm when we accept these ......
I do however agree that the terms and conditions for BUYING the card should be clearly displayed FIRST

Are you aware that B&B.com charges commission on the $75 "free" gift card to the inns that accept them? So, you got a "free" $75 gift card and the inn will have to pay 20% or so to accept? I am indignant on the behalf of the inns for that reason alone..
See, that is the kind of thing I do not know - is that why B&B's don't like them anymore? Would the same hold true for the $250 then - the B&B's are the ones paying for them basically? But it is a form of marketing I guess, right? 20% is pretty steep tho.
suellen222 said:
The inn that takes them pays 20% to bandb.com. The inn may not have any kind of restrictions on the stay, such as 'no holidays'. They can't restrict the amount of the stay paid via the GC. So, if you stay for a week and you use GC's for the whole stay, for me that's a $250 hit. If you negotiated a discount with me, say a free night or some percentage off and then hit me with those GC's, it's even more onerous.
They always find inns to quote whose business went up 30% or more after they started taking those cards but around here it has always led to heartache. The folks who use them, see the discounted price and get excited. They got the GC's for a discount, why not the actual stay? They try to get the price of the room down to the amount of the GC they bought.
Contrary to the hype, guests who buy the GC's do not come in the off season, they come when all the full-price-paying guests want to come.
The problem with you asking someone to take them but not try to cash them in until that date is that they also cannot verify they are valid. (At least I don't think they can.)
I did not know there was a waiting period to use them, either, but I guess they need to be sure your credit card goes through.
Yes, the high % and the cranky, wheeler-dealer guests that try to use the GC's are why we don't take them anymore.

Yes, the waiting period is for the cc to go thru - I guess that in itself is why you all that don't do a deposit should?! Hold up, it doesn't take 7 days to figure that out, does it? If a card is going to be rejected it is right away, right? I bet if I go on-line with my cc history I can find out if it went through before 7 days are up!
Ok, 8 lashes with a wet spaghetti noodle for me - I stand corrected - they do have a notation on the 2nd page of ordering - I never saw it - I didn't read!!! Don't you hate when you realize in the middle of an argument that you are wrong?! I've said it b4, I'll say it again. I have apologized to the nice B&B.com lady. I'll go away now and pack!

Sue- your annoyance with them, as neatly as it was tied up and forgiven, is no where NEAR the annoyances that some of the inns have with B&B.com. 20% is steep, no matter what region/pricepoint an inn is in. Especially if the gift card is dropped into the innkeeper's laps at the last minute. A word of kind caution: when you book with these inns, PLEASE let them know right up front that you have a B&B.com gift card. Just as a courtesy.

I was at a shopping center last week - DH dropped me at the door and went to park. Since I have signs on both front doors plus on the butt end of the car, a young couple walking in asked where we were located. Then they told me they had received a GC card for Christmas , did not remember from where but thought they would ask if i took the cards. I told them it was probably a bb.com GC card and no I do not take any of those cards because they cost the innkeepers 20% oof the top. they said they understood why I would not take them and we parted in the store AFTER I gave them biz cards of course!

Sue- your annoyance with them, as neatly as it was tied up and forgiven, is no where NEAR the annoyances that some of the inns have with B&B.com. 20% is steep, no matter what region/pricepoint an inn is in. Especially if the gift card is dropped into the innkeeper's laps at the last minute. A word of kind caution: when you book with these inns, PLEASE let them know right up front that you have a B&B.com gift card. Just as a courtesy..
Penelope said:
Sue- your annoyance with them, as neatly as it was tied up and forgiven, is no where NEAR the annoyances that some of the inns have with B&B.com. 20% is steep, no matter what region/pricepoint an inn is in. Especially if the gift card is dropped into the innkeeper's laps at the last minute. A word of kind caution: when you book with these inns, PLEASE let them know right up front that you have a B&B.com gift card. Just as a courtesy.
I might guess this is why it cannot be redeemed immediately after purchased, someone can print one out and hand it to the innkeepers?
Otherwise you have the almost the same wait time to purchase a firearm. doh!

Sue- your annoyance with them, as neatly as it was tied up and forgiven, is no where NEAR the annoyances that some of the inns have with B&B.com. 20% is steep, no matter what region/pricepoint an inn is in. Especially if the gift card is dropped into the innkeeper's laps at the last minute. A word of kind caution: when you book with these inns, PLEASE let them know right up front that you have a B&B.com gift card. Just as a courtesy..
Penelope said:
I might guess this is why it cannot be redeemed immediately after purchased, someone can print one out and hand it to the innkeepers?
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
I would guess so. I think there was that fiasco earlier when they started selling thru costco. People would buy and use immediately.
Hurts the innkeepers. No pain at all for the guests or B&B.com.... grrrrrr

I had to "search" for this and I really think that this should be listed under the terms and conditions of purchase
Questions about Redeeming Gift Cards:
Where can I redeem them?
BedandBreakfast.com Gift Cards may be redeemed at more than 4,000 participating U.S. or Canadian B&B or inns. When you call the innkeeper to make a reservation, please tell the innkeeper that you will be paying with a BedandBreakfast.com gift card.
[/h3]So you really are not required to accept them if you have not been notified in advance, and if the guest suddenly presents them you would be 100% in refusing any discounts that you may have offered the guest. And yes you can check the balance ahead of time AND redeem ahead of time however if you only check the balance it could change by the time the guest checks in. bandb.com does state you may ask for a cc as well
Please note that not every B&B/inn that is listed on BedandBreakfast.com accepts gift cards

I had to "search" for this and I really think that this should be listed under the terms and conditions of purchase
Questions about Redeeming Gift Cards:
Where can I redeem them?
BedandBreakfast.com Gift Cards may be redeemed at more than 4,000 participating U.S. or Canadian B&B or inns. When you call the innkeeper to make a reservation, please tell the innkeeper that you will be paying with a BedandBreakfast.com gift card.
[/h3]So you really are not required to accept them if you have not been notified in advance, and if the guest suddenly presents them you would be 100% in refusing any discounts that you may have offered the guest. And yes you can check the balance ahead of time AND redeem ahead of time however if you only check the balance it could change by the time the guest checks in. bandb.com does state you may ask for a cc as well
Please note that not every B&B/inn that is listed on BedandBreakfast.com accepts gift cards.
You could send your request/suggestion to them-she said the 7 day policy was added after owners requested it. If enough people complain...

suellen222 said:
Here comes the question to all of you out there who accept B&B.com GC's - would you, as an owner, allow me to use the card and just run it through on the 11th? Am I asking too much? Maybe if I find a place that is also disgruntled with B&B.com and if I'm really, really nice? My theory is you never know until you ask, but I wanted to get your opinions too.
I'm surprised to hear that the 20% commission is not something you know - I am positive that I told you about that when we discussed why I don't take those gift cards at my B&B.

suellen222 said:
I'm surprised to hear that the 20% commission is not something you know - I am positive that I told you about that when we discussed why I don't take those gift cards at my B&B..
Jeanne,
One of those little tidbits of information my mind did not retain evidently - sorry! I think I will be remembering it now tho. And I am going to feel bad for asking any B&B to take it now. In hindsight I should have researched the forum for B&B.com GC's and I'm sure it is all out there - I just didn't look. Lesson learned.

suellen222 said:
I'm surprised to hear that the 20% commission is not something you know - I am positive that I told you about that when we discussed why I don't take those gift cards at my B&B..
Jeanne,
One of those little tidbits of information my mind did not retain evidently - sorry! I think I will be remembering it now tho. And I am going to feel bad for asking any B&B to take it now. In hindsight I should have researched the forum for B&B.com GC's and I'm sure it is all out there - I just didn't look. Lesson learned.
suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
Don't feel badly about using them. Any inn that accepts them does so by opting in. They know the rules and they expect to have the GC's show up. You have about 2000 places across the country to choose from. So there are plenty of inns that take them.
But, definitely do not spring the GC's on them at check-in or try to negotiate any special deals, extra guests in the room, use them to pay for package deals, etc! No one takes kindly to that.

suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
Sometimes we don't remember something that has been said to us until it has been put in motion in our own lives.

suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
Don't feel badly about using them. Any inn that accepts them does so by opting in. They know the rules and they expect to have the GC's show up. You have about 2000 places across the country to choose from. So there are plenty of inns that take them.
But, definitely do not spring the GC's on them at check-in or try to negotiate any special deals, extra guests in the room, use them to pay for package deals, etc! No one takes kindly to that.
Ok! Will be leaving the certificates at home for another time as I was just able to get a one night at the Palmer Home B&B in the Carriage House (and they don't accept them)! Anyone that is going to be down there by Sat. that would like to see the place let me know - I hear the Harbor views are spectacular.

suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
Sometimes we don't remember something that has been said to us until it has been put in motion in our own lives.
Very true!

suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
Ok! Will be leaving the certificates at home for another time as I was just able to get a one night at the Palmer Home B&B in the Carriage House (and they don't accept them)! Anyone that is going to be down there by Sat. that would like to see the place let me know - I hear the Harbor views are spectacular.
The Palmer House is beautiful! They have afternoon wine on the piazza upstairs (or they used to) so be sure you have time for that. Nice digs. I've never stayed there as it is out of my price range! You'll have to report back.
Tons of restaurants to walk to from there. If you have time, go on a ghost walk. It's campy but you do get to see down some side streets (alleys) where you might not think to go. And the carriage rides are very informative.

suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
suellen222 said:
Jeanne,
The Palmer House is beautiful! They have afternoon wine on the piazza upstairs (or they used to) so be sure you have time for that. Nice digs. I've never stayed there as it is out of my price range! You'll have to report back.
Tons of restaurants to walk to from there. If you have time, go on a ghost walk. It's campy but you do get to see down some side streets (alleys) where you might not think to go. And the carriage rides are very informative.
Alibi, since there are 2 couples sharing the cost it was really only $154/night - didn't think that was too bad! I was just so glad to get it cos I kinda had my heart set on it - it looks beautiful. Thanks for the info on what to do and see - I'll report back.

Back