OK, My turn for the strange ones...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
This has been a strange beginning ot the year. So far I have had 2 horse reservations cancel in one week - one the night OF the reservation, one horse reservation who AFTER putting the horse in the stall acts surprised to discover i expected them to come to the B & B - they had a reservation at a locl Ha mp for $39 saying we did not know - it is blazed all over that they only stable for my guests. Just had a biker leave. Did not make them do the 2-night (basically because I forgot it was Mem Day weekend). Basic problem was only the Asi an restaurant was open and BIG problem - there was no place to get a drink where he could smoke a cigar. Get the cc to run it saying the total is xxx and SHE says in a surprised voice I thought is was yyy ($25 less) even though the rate was in the confirmation letter, on the your reservation is in 3 days e-mail, on the web site. I gave the her rate since they were not getting breakfast or staying and it was not worth it to dig in my heels. Even DH is saying it is crazy this year.
I figure with this one, I am the winner - lord knows how demanding they would have been - "This just is not where we wanted to be." They thought I was in big city 10 miles south. That was nowhere in my address (that city name). When I start getting weird ones, look out to the rest of you!! This is totally a weird year!!!

Oh, I hate those situations because it comes at you from left field! No time to digest it before you have time to respond.
Sounds like you did what was best for you. I sure hope it's not one of THOSE summers!

I hope you charged them for stable. That's disgusting.

I hope you charged them for stable. That's disgusting..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Definitely charged for the stable - that is not my money. I am sure they thought I was getting a "cut" of the stable fee but I do not. That particular one made me ready to scream because it was one of the few times I did not get a cc# because they were driving when they made the rez - horses do not have a lot of choices of where to go so I was blind-sided by her statement. What hurt was I not only had to wait up because they were getting in late (not unusal with horses) but drove out to the Interstate and guided them to the stable - coming out totally empty. Found out at the stable they were not the horse owners but horse transporters (call that do it as cheap as you can as long as the horses get quality because the owners will be charged the stable fees).

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Definitely charged for the stable - that is not my money. I am sure they thought I was getting a "cut" of the stable fee but I do not. That particular one made me ready to scream because it was one of the few times I did not get a cc# because they were driving when they made the rez - horses do not have a lot of choices of where to go so I was blind-sided by her statement. What hurt was I not only had to wait up because they were getting in late (not unusal with horses) but drove out to the Interstate and guided them to the stable - coming out totally empty. Found out at the stable they were not the horse owners but horse transporters (call that do it as cheap as you can as long as the horses get quality because the owners will be charged the stable fees).
You should have charged extra because they weren't staying with you. I'm sorry, but the posted price is for guests, for non-guests it's double.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
You should have charged extra because they weren't staying with you. I'm sorry, but the posted price is for guests, for non-guests it's double.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Couldn't. No cc# (which will never happen again - pull over and give me the number - and the stable fee is cash or check because if I touch the money I am liable and my insurance will not cover. The farmer gets $25 per horse per night - and he does not want anyone other than my guests. The horses were already IN the stalls when I found out. What am I going to do at Midnight to get them and the horses reloaded and out? The farmer is tucked in his bed and would not appreciate me calling him. I am not going to mess up a good thing because of one set of jerks. I just hope this is the end of the jerkimers for this year. I got the payback for all the good years this year. Sigh!!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Couldn't. No cc# (which will never happen again - pull over and give me the number - and the stable fee is cash or check because if I touch the money I am liable and my insurance will not cover. The farmer gets $25 per horse per night - and he does not want anyone other than my guests. The horses were already IN the stalls when I found out. What am I going to do at Midnight to get them and the horses reloaded and out? The farmer is tucked in his bed and would not appreciate me calling him. I am not going to mess up a good thing because of one set of jerks. I just hope this is the end of the jerkimers for this year. I got the payback for all the good years this year. Sigh!!
I understand. Sometimes we see the signs coming. I recently had a guest that asked me about BB. I was weary when I heard that question simply because I didn't know if they were stupid and didn't realize that any innkeeper worth their salt would immediately take care of the problem or that it was a sign that someone was going to try to blackmail me.
When they arrived at the door it was clearly the former, as the questions kept on getting worse and it was clear that these were B&B people. I have the laundry to prove that. Ugh!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I understand. Sometimes we see the signs coming. I recently had a guest that asked me about BB. I was weary when I heard that question simply because I didn't know if they were stupid and didn't realize that any innkeeper worth their salt would immediately take care of the problem or that it was a sign that someone was going to try to blackmail me.
When they arrived at the door it was clearly the former, as the questions kept on getting worse and it was clear that these were B&B people. I have the laundry to prove that. Ugh!
We had a walk-in ask us that once. DH turned to her and said, 'Unless you're bringing them in with you, no, we don't have bb.'

I got burnt twice never again by people who were only 10 mins away and never turned up - i sat and waited when I was dog tired - never again you give a card or you don't have a room its that simple.

I got burnt twice never again by people who were only 10 mins away and never turned up - i sat and waited when I was dog tired - never again you give a card or you don't have a room its that simple..
I got burnt twice never again by people who were only 10 mins away and never turned up - i sat and waited when I was dog tired - never again you give a card or you don't have a room its that simple.
thumbs_up.gif

Back