ok, ok, I'll be brave... I'll post my website... briefly!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
OK, ya all want to know who I am... FIRST let me say.... I REALLY appreciate all the constructive comments! Thank you. I have taken them to heart and will be making changes over the next few days.... (I work full time, volunteer one day a week and run the B&B so time is limited... as you all can understand).
I have soo appreciated all the help I have gotten from this form! Thank you so much!!!!!

WOW. what a beautiful website.
On the critical side, Im not much for flickering rolling banners, that is a bit web 1.0
Something is loading, I have a very fast internet connection, yet the page froze for a few seconds after I did see the first picture..
Noticed all these lovely pictures kind of "rolls" in while loading, that makes me think they might be much larger than they need to be, make sure they are scaled to the actual size you are using them at, this will make sure they load fast.
On the "reviews" page I get a floating text about riding a trail on the middle of the page.?
.... sooo what is the deal with links anyway.? I noticed that nobody here link to their B&B.? Im a photographer and we all links to galleries and jobs we are doing. what is different?

The type could be a bit larger if you are trying to entice old eyes. Also, the calendar is about 2009! We are almost 3/4 through 2010 - get the calendar updated. It looks as if time stopped or you do not care to tell what is happening this week or next month. Oh, the second room stated it was "light-filled" - I did not see anything that would make me think "light" as the first room showed afternoon light coming through the windows. this one made me think dark Victorian.... Just my quick observations since you asked. The clydesdales info sliding across the screen did not ask me for anything - it just ran. It was distracting from YOUR offerings. IMO that belongs on the attractions page not your home page.

On the critical side, Im not much for flickering rolling banners, that is a bit web 1.0
Something is loading, I have a very fast internet connection, yet the page froze for a few seconds after I did see the first picture..
Noticed all these lovely pictures kind of "rolls" in while loading, that makes me think they might be much larger than they need to be, make sure they are scaled to the actual size you are using them at, this will make sure they load fast.
On the "reviews" page I get a floating text about riding a trail on the middle of the page.?
.... sooo what is the deal with links anyway.? I noticed that nobody here link to their B&B.? Im a photographer and we all links to galleries and jobs we are doing. what is different?.
.... sooo what is the deal with links anyway.? I noticed that nobody here link to their B&B.? Im a photographer and we all links to galleries and jobs we are doing. what is different?
It is quite difficult to link to your page and remain anon.

The type could be a bit larger if you are trying to entice old eyes. Also, the calendar is about 2009! We are almost 3/4 through 2010 - get the calendar updated. It looks as if time stopped or you do not care to tell what is happening this week or next month. Oh, the second room stated it was "light-filled" - I did not see anything that would make me think "light" as the first room showed afternoon light coming through the windows. this one made me think dark Victorian.... Just my quick observations since you asked. The clydesdales info sliding across the screen did not ask me for anything - it just ran. It was distracting from YOUR offerings. IMO that belongs on the attractions page not your home page..
I completely forgot about the calendar page!!! I think I am just trying to do toooooooooooooo much...... Ok. I can see I really need to set aside a day and just do website stuff!
Whew!!!

no offense..............but.
The fish symbol.....just might turn some people off....thinking they might be preached to........
best to be neutral.....

I read the previous thread, and now this one. I totally agree with all the comments and suggestions made.
I understand that you are busy. I also understand that being busier at the B&B might be challenging for you due to all your other commitments. That being said, I would say that if you only put into practice two or three of the suggestions, I vote for: ONLINE RESERVATIONS. Top, foremost, above all, not questions asked, DO IT! Second, I'd update the calendar...time keeps moving even though sometimes we can't keep up. Third, update or refresh the titles of your website. Make sure that what you change as "titles" shows up in your text somewhere on that page.
Fourth, but way down the list, I'd suggest to lose the framing around the photos. If not lose them, make the frames smaller. I found myself tyring to compare the frames to see if they were the exact same ones for each photo and judging the colors in the room to see if the frames matched...not what I should have been doing while looking at your site. But it was what my eyes went to.
Gillum House always says that she hopes everyone is as busy as they want to be. If you are, great. If not, do something about it.
I read somewhere the definition of 'insanity' is: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Good luck! You can do it! I know you can :)

I read somewhere the definition of 'insanity' is: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Good line Em. Yeah that was who other than Einstein that said that!
The other thing to say on that subject is just "DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT" this is not the same world as 2004, we all need to change what we are doing. We all need to INVEST time in our websites. Every month, the off season kick it up a notch! This is why I post all the crap, ahem, lovely innformative articles I do on here and package ideas etc.
As mentioned by the Funky Phantom, focus on what you have there, is it recreation? Is it shopping? Is it all about romance? I go back and forth on this as we really do not have one niche. We have guests for so many reasons, so the more I focus on romance the less I get the Harleys touring the Blue Ridge, the more I focus on the Harley's the less I get of the Anniversary couples. It is a fine line.

hey, theres no edit button... how do I change... delete this post/????

.... sooo what is the deal with links anyway.? I noticed that nobody here link to their B&B.? Im a photographer and we all links to galleries and jobs we are doing. what is different?.
We sometimes get carried away commenting and some of us want to remain anonymous in case a guest happens to discover this site and maybe recognize a comment from an innkeeper about them. Slim chances...but it has happened.

hey, theres no edit button... how do I change... delete this post/????.
Just go to your original message and there is an edit link. Then just go into the message and delete the URL and repost
catlady said:
Just go to your original message and there is an edit link. Then just go into the message and delete the URL and repost
thanks! It worked

Not just anon from a bad guest, this is also the WWW and there are plenty of weirdos and wackjobs out there, even on this forum from time to time. We have had a couple here on the forum. Some pose as innkeepers, some are just nutcases and show their true colors after a few posts. Then there are those lurkers who read the forum and never post or never log in. The regulars all know who everyone is, or mostly who or where they are. No one actually hides the innfo, just protects their identity for those purposes. If we have a horrible guest and need to vent, this is the oNLY place known to innkeeping-kind where we can do that and have other 'get it.'

Yep, my hubby said you are right about the pic size. Thats my fault... I get all excited to put up new pics and forget to adjust the size.... Thanks for the reminder...
You all convinced me...
and yep... we try to remian annon incase we need to vent....

I wish had I been looking in but have been busy the past month moving so missed the web site. I'd love to have seen it!

I wish had I been looking in but have been busy the past month moving so missed the web site. I'd love to have seen it!.
ginocat said:
I wish had I been looking in but have been busy the past month moving so missed the web site. I'd love to have seen it!
So ginocat....where are you living now, and are you jonesing for the Inn? What will you do with your newfound freedom??

I am in Vancouver now and not missing BB one little bit!!!! I am going to be looking for a job soon but right now am enjoying time off in the summer for a change and visiting with my grandkids!!!

I like your website and your prices are very low for what you're offering aren't they? One question - does only one room have an ensuite?

I am in Vancouver now and not missing BB one little bit!!!! I am going to be looking for a job soon but right now am enjoying time off in the summer for a change and visiting with my grandkids!!!.
ginocat said:
I am in Vancouver now and not missing BB one little bit!!!! I am going to be looking for a job soon but right now am enjoying time off in the summer for a change and visiting with my grandkids!!!
Wow! Time off in the summer to play with the grandkids! Sweet. I'm hoping I get to that point before the grandkids graduate high school!

Back