OK, What the heck is it and how do you eat it?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gillumhouse said:
That is the question I asked at the produce market this afternoon. They did not know either other than it was a fruit - it was on the invoice as Dragon Fruit. So I thought what the hey and bought the "lets get rid of" basket (4 for $1.50). Looked it up - something new on the table tomorrow morning!!!
http://thaifood.about.com/od/introtothaicooking/ss/dragonfruit.htm
I WISH I could get them at that price. Just peel and serve. You can even make melon balls if you like. Juiced for smoothies as well. Yum! Come in white flesh or pink flesh.

gillumhouse said:
That is the question I asked at the produce market this afternoon. They did not know either other than it was a fruit - it was on the invoice as Dragon Fruit. So I thought what the hey and bought the "lets get rid of" basket (4 for $1.50). Looked it up - something new on the table tomorrow morning!!!
I WISH I could get them at that price. Just peel and serve. You can even make melon balls if you like. Juiced for smoothies as well. Yum! Come in white flesh or pink flesh..
are they as pretty as the pictures? very inexpensive! let us know how it goes.

gillumhouse said:
I WISH I could get them at that price. Just peel and serve. You can even make melon balls if you like. Juiced for smoothies as well. Yum! Come in white flesh or pink flesh..
seashanty said:
They look great on a plate, in slices or melon balls. And when properly ripe are nice and sweet. The pink ones look particularly pretty.

I see those all the time around here. I'll pick up one and give it a try. Not holding my breath though. I don't like pears and I'm not that fond of kiwis. It's that gritty texture I don't like - ditto for watermelon. I like the flavor of those fruits, just not the texture.

I see those all the time around here. I'll pick up one and give it a try. Not holding my breath though. I don't like pears and I'm not that fond of kiwis. It's that gritty texture I don't like - ditto for watermelon. I like the flavor of those fruits, just not the texture..
hmmm...maybe it's the texture that I don't like about watermelon. I never thought about that! I do love pears and kiwis though....

gillumhouse said:
seashanty said:
Yes, very pretty. I have no idea how much they would be normally. They were on her truck when it came in and possibly because no one knew what they were, they were moved to the let's get rid of. Strawberries were $4 for a flat (I think there were 10 packages there). Will let you know in the morning how they taste. Will have dragon fruit, strawberries, and cantaloupe with kiwi. Might toss in a few blueberries for color. Waiting for a room that called about 30 min ago - no rooms anywhere.

It's very tasty if not over ripe. Hope your guests like it!.
OH yummmie
I wished I could get them at a good price. try them a few years ago. Our guests love them. I sliced them . Then layed it on the plate with a few faned strawberries on the corner of the plate. Yesterday they were $4.oo each. Enjoy

My first guest liked them. I tasted one small piece and it was good - not as much flavor as a mango but the compote looks great! One dragon fruit, most of a mango, almost a pound of strawberries, and a kiwi. I now have LOTS of strawberies to use up. Tough assignment but someone has to do it!

My first guest liked them. I tasted one small piece and it was good - not as much flavor as a mango but the compote looks great! One dragon fruit, most of a mango, almost a pound of strawberries, and a kiwi. I now have LOTS of strawberies to use up. Tough assignment but someone has to do it!.
I like fruit sliced where you get more of the flavor of each type of fruit. Have you tried serving it that way as opposed to a compote?

My first guest liked them. I tasted one small piece and it was good - not as much flavor as a mango but the compote looks great! One dragon fruit, most of a mango, almost a pound of strawberries, and a kiwi. I now have LOTS of strawberies to use up. Tough assignment but someone has to do it!.
I like fruit sliced where you get more of the flavor of each type of fruit. Have you tried serving it that way as opposed to a compote?
I may do that Saturday. I think the lady here now likes the variety. She did 2 helpings of fruit today - the other room did not touch it. THEIR breakfast was a mite overdone since they came down 30 min after the time they told me. I cannot help that. They ate very little. Carolyn did a lot better with her breakfast!

Back