Ok Yea we know...but! (gardening)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
So we both know that the owner is a little-no alot of micromanaging type-BUT its been an ongoing discussion through the winter-and since there was a consultation of helping to fix the problems and we are hoping that owner may take their advice.
This is the situation-its a way of making more $$ which we need at this time and its also in the lines that I love to do. The gardener which was taking care of the victorian garden was charging her WAY TOO MUCH and she is trying to cut costs-so, we in our infitate wonderful wisdom (strupidity) have decided to make an offer to take over the gardening. We will not be mowing or mulching or raking the lawns they have someone doing this and they will be willing to help with large plantings etc. We would mainly take care of the beds surrounding the garden with getting some peranials to get established removing the need to plant annuals every season.
The garden is large although we would be moving plants that are in the wrong spot and replanting where it should be. The garden was not taken care of and the gardener pretty much took advantage of owner with the money he was paid he was not doing the job so we thought we would give it a try for one season and since we will more than likely be here for another season it also gives us a chance to put that we took care of a formal garden on our resume for our next job. We are still on the "talking" stage of this new endevour so would like to hear some advise on what would be the fair charge for this.

We have a 'gardener' on here, maybe he can pitch in with some estimates. A little more info would help- size of area to be cared for, intricacy of plantings (hardy plants vs tender, lots of perennials vs annuals, etc). Maybe you could change the title of the thread to sometihng like 'Need gardening help' to make it more obvious what this is about!
Also, what did the other person charge? You'll have to come in under that to make it a 'savings'.
And be careful you don't get 'stuck' with it being an unpaid part of your job!

No that is one of the things that hubbie and I discussed-this will be a seperate charge for the garden. The gardner was getting around 1,800/mth for it, but the thing is he did not do half of what was in the contract. We won't do the lawn mowing or blowing of leaves this is another expense cause there is no equipment to mow-this is strictly caring for the gardening beds and building on the premise that there won't be much maintenance if there are lots of perennials.
Will change the title.

No that is one of the things that hubbie and I discussed-this will be a seperate charge for the garden. The gardner was getting around 1,800/mth for it, but the thing is he did not do half of what was in the contract. We won't do the lawn mowing or blowing of leaves this is another expense cause there is no equipment to mow-this is strictly caring for the gardening beds and building on the premise that there won't be much maintenance if there are lots of perennials.
Will change the title..
Is this a huge garden? Acres of gardens? $1800/month? And it doesn't include mowing and all of that? Yikes.

If I were you I would not worry about the gardening and concentrate on finding a new job where the owner appreciates what you do and does not try and micro manage. Why save her money? I know the extra would probably help you...but why help her when she seems so hell bent on doing things her way? I would be out of there as soon as I could.

NO its not acres of gardens, and I would be out of here as soon as I could if I found something suitable-and we are aware that she micro-manages but as long as we are here we might as well make as much money as we can through the season so that in the case that we do decide to leave we can at least have a cushion.
Its around 5 midium size beds with the largest one right behind the B & B.
Thanks

NO its not acres of gardens, and I would be out of here as soon as I could if I found something suitable-and we are aware that she micro-manages but as long as we are here we might as well make as much money as we can through the season so that in the case that we do decide to leave we can at least have a cushion.
Thanks.
BECAUSE you enjoy gardening, I would pitch it. BUT I would take pictures of the before I started and then pictures of the after. Keep a photo record of your efforts and put them in a book (and i mean inside the inn as well as outside). I suggest you also include an herb bed with the herbs you use most in the kitchen - and even some you only use once in a while - the price of tarragon is HUGE! so it is nice having it when i need it.
Check to see if One Day has an offline e-mail to ask him for suggested $$ - it is his line of work.

Thanks.
Did the gardener's fee include the cost of the annuals that were planted? That seems pretty pricey for trimming, pruning, wedding, and planting. Especially because a lot of things don't need weekly trimming.
I would do a rough calculation of how much time you think it would take per bed per week per person. You could use $10/hr per person as a guide.
It cost me $100/week to have a landscape service mow, edge, and weed whack 2 city lots. A 3 guy crew was done in about 20-30 minutes. I had to tell them to trim and pull weeds, even though it was part of the contract. They billed me separately for products like Roundup.
Best of luck with this if you have the time for it!

The book is a great idea K-we have drawn a map of the entire Victorian Garden and have walked more than once and have numbered the beds to make sure that we mark what is there at this time and what we want moved or planted in those beds, will be taking pictures soon and doing what you said-great idea.
The mowing will be seperate-but yes this included all and it was not done properly so now we kinda have to make it what it should be
Anyone with ideas for low maintenance perenials would be great we are in Zone 8-(Delta of the MIssissippi)...
thanks in advance

First you would ask the company to provide an updated estimate..seperating the tasks and costs to each.
Or you provide a listing of what you want them to do and rebid the work.
Only knowing what the cost differences are can you begin to make decision...
Also, get at least one other estimate

Back