Old Home Week

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Just this week we had a call from the granddaughter of the couple our house was built for, she stayed with us for two nights and it was great to see her. She was so appreciative of the way her family home is being cared for, and she lives across the country so she loves having someplace like home to stay when she travels.
Then out of the blue today, our PO's who live halfway across the country showed up out of the blue. They still have friends in this area so not totally unprecedented for them to visit, but it's been a while. It was nice to visit with them...seeing them happy in their retirement makes me feel there is light at the end of this sometimes very long tunnel! They ran this place for 12 years, pretty unheard of for a place this big. Innspiring!

We had the exact same kind of visit from the original owners kinfolk recently... it was a great visit - because he was the only guest, we could sit and visit with him all evening long about his family's history and our house. We're hoping to have him back with other cousins for a mini-reunion this year.

We had the great-great-grandson and great-great-granddaughter of the builder of the home come and stay last year with their spouses. Everyone was in their 80's and were recounting what it was like when their grandmother's family lived here. They brought a bunch of cool photos from the early 1920's of the outside of the house. We discovered some cool things about the houses's past while they were here, and they really helped me flesh out the history of the house that is in the Guest Binder for folks to read....now with photos too!

We had the great-great-grandson and great-great-granddaughter of the builder of the home come and stay last year with their spouses. Everyone was in their 80's and were recounting what it was like when their grandmother's family lived here. They brought a bunch of cool photos from the early 1920's of the outside of the house. We discovered some cool things about the houses's past while they were here, and they really helped me flesh out the history of the house that is in the Guest Binder for folks to read....now with photos too!.
I love it! I really think people enjoy knowing these details, makes them feel very connected to where they are staying.

The youngest child of what I term the original owners (the builder lived here briefly I guess) stayed her for 2 nights in 1996. That is how we found out he was born in the room he slept in - in 1919. His only niece was also born in that room - in 1932. His Father was the B & O Station Agent.
His son Station gent's grandson) has been back 3 more times and HIS daughter (Station Agent's great-granddaughter) stayed here on her honeymoon. The 3 grandsons are welcome anytime as our guests (they are coming back to Granny's house, literally) - but the next generation pays. The last time Mike was here, he grought a big box of his uncle's memorbilia from his career in the Air Force. We took it to the Museum.

The youngest child of what I term the original owners (the builder lived here briefly I guess) stayed her for 2 nights in 1996. That is how we found out he was born in the room he slept in - in 1919. His only niece was also born in that room - in 1932. His Father was the B & O Station Agent.
His son Station gent's grandson) has been back 3 more times and HIS daughter (Station Agent's great-granddaughter) stayed here on her honeymoon. The 3 grandsons are welcome anytime as our guests (they are coming back to Granny's house, literally) - but the next generation pays. The last time Mike was here, he grought a big box of his uncle's memorbilia from his career in the Air Force. We took it to the Museum..
We took over our inn last month. So as you can imagine we are still going through our growing pains. Sunday morning we had guest and the previous owner popped in along with his son. They are always welcome since they are like family. As luck would have it my oven went on the fritz and my quiches took and extra hour to make. Luckily the PO had his guitar and played and sang and save the day.
Scot

His son Station gent's grandson) has been back 3 more times and HIS daughter (Station Agent's great-granddaughter) stayed here on her honeymoon. The 3 grandsons are welcome anytime as our guests (they are coming back to Granny's house, literally) - but the next generation pays. The last time Mike was here, he grought a big box of his uncle's memorbilia from his career in the Air Force. We took it to the Museum..
We took over our inn last month. So as you can imagine we are still going through our growing pains. Sunday morning we had guest and the previous owner popped in along with his son. They are always welcome since they are like family. As luck would have it my oven went on the fritz and my quiches took and extra hour to make. Luckily the PO had his guitar and played and sang and save the day.
Scot
Sunnyside said:
Scot
Now THAT'S the way a PO should be! How lucky for you that they care enough to check in on you and help.
RIki

Back