Old linens

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where to put this so here it is. I went over to the lodge yesterday to do a video inventory of personal property. One of the bedrooms had been converted to a linens room. There is a boat load of stuff there. The lodge had 32 guest rooms when it closed. Lot of sorting and washing to do.
Two questions come to mind. PO once gave us a set of sheets from the lodge which were wonderful. They were fine old fashioned crisp cotton. She said she got them and found them too heavy in the wash and didn't use them. Shelves of them are sitting there unused. The lodge closed in 1980. The other quandary is the vintage chenille bedspreads. BUNCHES of them. Some of them are still on the beds. My thought is that they will not hold up for use and might be best put on eBay for those who revel in them? A quick check showed no discolorations or tears...any one here have experience with using old linens?

If you're going to use the old sheets, start washing them now to see how they hold up. I'd also wash one of those chenilles before trying to sell them.

My first thought is to use them... my second is, who's going to iron those sheets?
=)
Kk.

My first thought is to use them... my second is, who's going to iron those sheets?
=)
Kk..
I don't think people would appreciate 30 year old sheets...unless there is something spectacular about them...same for chenille bedspreads...

I have one set of Dan River Linens left that last and last...man o war I wish I could get all Dan River stuff...too bad it is all gone now.

I do like Chenille bedspreads...I think it was one of those things from childhood I thought were pretty cool!

I think old is fine, if they're clean and not wrinkly. I use a lot of vintage embroidered pillowcases to add to my sets. How can you tell how old a sheet set is if it's clean, ironed and crisp cotton? I buy the shabby chic ones from target to get that crisp feeling.
I also like chenille bedspreads, again if clean and not threadbare. Especially for an old lodge - I think they would add a lot of charm.

I think old is fine, if they're clean and not wrinkly. I use a lot of vintage embroidered pillowcases to add to my sets. How can you tell how old a sheet set is if it's clean, ironed and crisp cotton? I buy the shabby chic ones from target to get that crisp feeling.
I also like chenille bedspreads, again if clean and not threadbare. Especially for an old lodge - I think they would add a lot of charm..
I guess I have too many memories of old ugly chenille bedspreads from my childhood
embaressed_smile.gif

They could be cool I guess as a vintage touch in an old lodge though.

i would try out the bedspreads if you like the look of vintage. they might look sweet.
but i have to warn you about the sheets.
i ended up with old sheets (though not as old as you are describing) that looked fine. i laundered them and put them on the beds. but, with use, they would simply rip down the middle right on the bed.

Ditto on the Chenille bedspreads. Lovely vintage look and if they're in good condition, no reason not to use them.
As with the sheets, though, you should try them all out first. Dry rot could have set in to all of them after all those years...

I'd try a set on my own bed to see how they hold up the last thing you want is someone putting a toe through them!

Thanks all-
I hadn't really thought about the ironing.... The set PO gave us 10 years back ( I only use for a treat) are finally giving up the ghost--tears in the wash. They are great sheets, best I have slept on. I may keep them for ME.
Using the chenille is on the fence with me, I have never been a fan. Just wondered if they are usable, if I would be wiser to use them and save a buck or sell them and buy a different style. (Lodge is more Craftsman/Mission). Thanks for the feedback, more to think about...

ps just check out the prices of chenille bedspreads on this site.
if you don't like the look, sell them as vintage..
Funny you should mention them. I get their catalog, and I have thought of sending them my sheet to see if they can find something similar, I like it that well! Have been looking at online auctions, and the chenille fans are there! The ones at the lodge have lovely colors--nicer than those in the catalog I think--some nice solid colors too---soft yellows, pinks and greens.

Now don't be hasty. What is an old, cumbersome hassle to one, is charming, collectable and vintage to another.
Go online and google "vintage linens" and you will see what I mean. I recently bought vintage shams on ebay and there was an impressive bidding war over them.
There is a market for them if you should decide they are not for you.

Thanks all-
I hadn't really thought about the ironing.... The set PO gave us 10 years back ( I only use for a treat) are finally giving up the ghost--tears in the wash. They are great sheets, best I have slept on. I may keep them for ME.
Using the chenille is on the fence with me, I have never been a fan. Just wondered if they are usable, if I would be wiser to use them and save a buck or sell them and buy a different style. (Lodge is more Craftsman/Mission). Thanks for the feedback, more to think about....
If you don't use the chenille bedspreads, you might think of using it to make some pillow covers. Chenille covers can make a great retro look really come together.

Thanks all-
Using the chenille is on the fence with me, I have never been a fan. Just wondered if they are usable, if I would be wiser to use them and save a buck or sell them and buy a different style. (Lodge is more Craftsman/Mission). Thanks for the feedback, more to think about....
If you don't use the chenille bedspreads, you might think of using it to make some pillow covers. Chenille covers can make a great retro look really come together.
That would be an idea for the ones are torn or stained in spots. The soft colors would be easy to mix. The lodge has an air of grandmothers house on a large scale. I was thinking of pushing it a little more Arts and Crafts style to bring out some of character there. I don't think of chenille and Arts and Crafts together. Nothing wrong with grandmothers house cozy tho. Maybe I can do a general change over slowly if I choose colors carefully. It would stretch the budget if I could use them. Thanks for the ideas.

Back