Old Regional Heritage Story-type Magazines

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I have some regional cultural magazines that highlight local writers, artisans and music of the area. Not dated events or anything, but the history, cultue and heritage of this area. The author had to stop printing this unique magazine due to costs, and I have some of them in the guest rooms.
I was just cleaning a room and saw that one is dated 2005. Do you think they are too old to keep in the guest rooms now? I have books, dates don't matter, and I have a small stack of these really neat magazines. Would you keep them in there? Guests read them. Not sure if they think "wow a 2005 magazine" or not. There is nothing else like this being printed now.
Your thoughts?

how about this
print up a little note and attach to each magazine that says exactly what you've told us here ...
This magazine contains lots of great info about local history, culture and heritage. Gems about xyz ... Sadly, this magazine is now out of print due to costs.
You might want to add on various notes 'see page 54 for a wonderful writeup about a local jazz band that still performs in the area' or something like that.

It is mostly history, stories etc. They have an online version with archives of the articles, but it has not been updated since 2006. The author/publisher is a recent widow to a hsitorian author in our area.

We have a similar item on a magazine rack in the common room. They do end up migrating into the guest rooms but I like to try to keep the guest room magazines no older than 3-6 months. Guests really do like to read them because they are local. I'm not sure the age makes a difference as some of mine are from much earlier than yours.
For me, when I am traveling, I just like something to look at in the room. A 4 year old Time wouldn't cut it, but a 4 year old local pub would be fine.

I am with SS. I am a history buff and love local info. You might also highlight something in each mag. Such as a house that is a musuem they can visit or you can walk by and see one that is highlighted or a garden to view. I would really like that.

I am with SS. I am a history buff and love local info. You might also highlight something in each mag. Such as a house that is a musuem they can visit or you can walk by and see one that is highlighted or a garden to view. I would really like that..
hawley said:
I am with SS. I am a history buff and love local info. You might also highlight something in each mag. Such as a house that is a musuem they can visit or you can walk by and see one that is highlighted or a garden to view. I would really like that.
I can see you here...one of the many guests who can't get enough reading material, they love all of it. I like that too!
So would you prefer having all these magazines in one spot, vs two or three in each room? I have some duplicates in a couple rooms. I had a guest come here for something unique and actually read about it while here in one of the old mag's in his room, he got a kick out of it! I couldn't recall what was in that magazine. He shared all about it at the breakfast table that day.

I am with SS. I am a history buff and love local info. You might also highlight something in each mag. Such as a house that is a musuem they can visit or you can walk by and see one that is highlighted or a garden to view. I would really like that..
hawley said:
I can see you here...one of the many guests who can't get enough reading material, they love all of it. I like that too!
So would you prefer having all these magazines in one spot, vs two or three in each room? I have some duplicates in a couple rooms. I had a guest come here for something unique and actually read about it while here in one of the old mag's in his room, he got a kick out of it! I couldn't recall what was in that magazine. He shared all about it at the breakfast table that day.
So would you prefer having all these magazines in one spot, vs two or three in each room?
I would vote for 2 or 3 in each room. I would like to have reading material in my room so I can read for a while befor going to sleep. It would be really nice if you had a bookmark for articles on things in your area - especailly things that are "hidden treasures".

hawley said:
So would you prefer having all these magazines in one spot, vs two or three in each room?
I would vote for 2 or 3 in each room. I would like to have reading material in my room so I can read for a while befor going to sleep. It would be really nice if you had a bookmark for articles on things in your area - especailly things that are "hidden treasures".
gillumhouse said:
Okay, thanks. Yes the articles are all about our area and hidden treasures, so I will leave them. I just recall someone a while back talking about outdated stuff. But these are not touristy mags, they are very special.
I looked at an article by one well known author who lives in our town who descibed why she wrote all of her stories based on this town (which I didn't know as they are HARLEQUIN! Not the trashy ones, there are diff ones apparently, hers are the true love type...STOP LAUGHING!) ...she spoke about our area and the paintbrush of spring... I thought, okay, so maybe I will leave these. Indecisive as. I try to declutter, but really I know people love reading material, esp regional.

Do any of you subscribe to magazines specifically to place in the guests rooms?
We put past issues of our own magazines there such as Southern Living, Birds and Blooms, etc., but try to keep them relatively current. We also have a selection of paperbacks that could easily be read during a two-day visit.

hawley said:
If I read everything you had in the room, I would probably ask if you had others.
I have a library and put most of the stuff there for people to help themselves. A few in the sunroom common area.
In the suites, I have duplicates of city magazines that are printed yearly with things to see and do.

We put past issues of our own magazines there such as Southern Living, Birds and Blooms, etc., but try to keep them relatively current. We also have a selection of paperbacks that could easily be read during a two-day visit..
There are a couple magazines that send them to us (I never subscribed - one is about mountain homes and another about WV) so I put them in the rooms and since we get motorcycle guests put DH's various biker magazines in the rooms and when I get horse magazines -those also since we get horse owners. The State Travel Guide is also in each room.
Forgot to add I have a 4-shelf bookcase in the upstairs hall and a 3-shelf book rack in one guestroom - all reading materials (books, magazines, etc) on the second floor isthere for the guests to "steal" and they are encouraged to do so. Nothing is to be returned!

We put past issues of our own magazines there such as Southern Living, Birds and Blooms, etc., but try to keep them relatively current. We also have a selection of paperbacks that could easily be read during a two-day visit..
Proud Texan said:
We put past issues of our own magazines there such as Southern Living, Birds and Blooms, etc., but try to keep them relatively current. We also have a selection of paperbacks that could easily be read during a two-day visit.
Yes. I read everything that comes in but I subscribe to them for the inn. Local mags, Cooking Light, Quilting mags, Car & Driver, Motorcyclist and I put out our college alumni mags, too. There are a bunch more and every once in awhile I get on someone's mailing list and I get free mags for a year.
And there's a small library of books guests can pick up and take along if they don't finish. And they also leave behind books. I just read 'My Sister's Keeper' last night. That was left behind.

hawley said:
Joe Bloggs said:
hawley said:
We do both. One central location and then 5-6 mags in each room. I make sure there is a selection in the rooms so guests who have settled in don't have to get up and wander around at midnight when they can't sleep.

I've got a bunch of really old magazines around. Mostly things like Gourmet, National Geographic, Martha Stewart. I keep for two reasons, first because I've stopped all magazines coming to the inn...we recycle everything and are a "green certified" B&B...I just can't justify all the waste of new magazines each month.Living in the northwest in timber country, I see everyday all the clearcutting that is done to make the paper all those magazines are printed on. It's not pretty.
Second, The types of magazines we have contain a lot of information in them that doesn't go out of date. The same recipe in Gourmet is informative whether is 2009 or 2000.
I've also got a large book collection, and the paperback books can be exchanged by our guests...read yours, leave it, take one of ours.

I've got a bunch of really old magazines around. Mostly things like Gourmet, National Geographic, Martha Stewart. I keep for two reasons, first because I've stopped all magazines coming to the inn...we recycle everything and are a "green certified" B&B...I just can't justify all the waste of new magazines each month.Living in the northwest in timber country, I see everyday all the clearcutting that is done to make the paper all those magazines are printed on. It's not pretty.
Second, The types of magazines we have contain a lot of information in them that doesn't go out of date. The same recipe in Gourmet is informative whether is 2009 or 2000.
I've also got a large book collection, and the paperback books can be exchanged by our guests...read yours, leave it, take one of ours..
I have 2 bookcases on the second floor of books to be stolen - they do not come back - please. I go to the Friends of the Library or the clearance rack at Half Price Books and get books that interest me. I read them and then they go upstairs.

Southern Living, Newsweek, Conde Naste Traveler, More, Innstyle, Readers Digest, Entertainment Weekly (I'm dropping this one), Prevention - probably one or two more popular magazines. I also get a couple of historic preservation magazines - local and national. A couple of local magazines of interest about our City and area. I have an assortment in the guest rooms and then a brass magazine rack in the living room.
ETA: I forgot that I get Food & Wine, too. They stopped publishing Conde Nast Portfolio which was a business magazine I used to get.

Back