OMG! We really have to watch who we let in anymore....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
This morning I had a nice wake up call.....
I had a "Long-term" guest, for about 3 out of 6 weeks. This morning I get a call from someone in town advising me that I should check this person's public record.
He is a sexual offender and listed my B&B as his residence
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I asked him immediately to leave since he did not tell me the truth, used my B&B as residence without me permission and I have a 3 year old grand daughter living with me.....
Do we really have to check our guests history ?

You owe a big thanks to the one who tipped you off!
Yes, you really never know who'll be walking through the door. It helps that things like this are (as far as we know) very very rare.

Egads. I don't usually check anyone who is staying here unless they just make me curious for some reason. Good that someone let you know.

Yes, I am thankful for the person who called me. I would never had checked...why would I ?

Yes, I am thankful for the person who called me. I would never had checked...why would I ?.
This would make me consider doing a look-up of anyone more than a 2-nighter. As a Granny, I know the twist in the gut was your granddaughter. I am sure that is the reason no one with kids in the house would EVER let the kid(s) be there alone when guests are present. We DO NOT KNOW.....
Adding that I am so glad you found out via a telephone call rather than a problem. So very sorry you had to deal with it period.

Yes, I am thankful for the person who called me. I would never had checked...why would I ?.
This would make me consider doing a look-up of anyone more than a 2-nighter. As a Granny, I know the twist in the gut was your granddaughter. I am sure that is the reason no one with kids in the house would EVER let the kid(s) be there alone when guests are present. We DO NOT KNOW.....
Adding that I am so glad you found out via a telephone call rather than a problem. So very sorry you had to deal with it period.
I will start doing that, have to. Besides that he gave MY business as his residence, cause they only have 24 hours to register....Future Guests don't know if that's a guest or the owner listed .....

I will start doing that, have to. Besides that he gave MY business as his residence, cause they only have 24 hours to register....Future Guests don't know if that's a guest or the owner listed .....
Yes, THAT s a horible thing to do. Can you get that address removed from his record? Will the local cops delete that for you? I certainly hope so.

We don't have a public registry in Canada, it's limited to police and the such.
But why are they allowed to register with a B&B address, or are you allowed to house people for longer than 30 days?
Aren't they required to notify everyone of their status if there are people at risk?
Horrible! Glad you found out.

Yes, THAT s a horible thing to do. Can you get that address removed from his record? Will the local cops delete that for you? I certainly hope so.
He has 24 hours to change his residence address. However, it's a weekend so he has until Monday. If he does not remove it by then I will have to send a written request on my letter head requesting them to remove my address. Just more work on my end to keep my name clean...

We don't have a public registry in Canada, it's limited to police and the such.
But why are they allowed to register with a B&B address, or are you allowed to house people for longer than 30 days?
Aren't they required to notify everyone of their status if there are people at risk?
Horrible! Glad you found out..
We can rent for a s long as we like. They have rights, they don't have to tell us. All they have to do is to register there where abouts if they move. Well, he didn't move here ! He just was going to stay here as a guest for 6 weeks....There is a difference between an apartment complex and a B&B....but he didn't care
I know he will be looking for a nw place, I will call around and let others know.

Okay so I have to ask, it is legal to ask them to leave if they are registered? If they are transient then they must put they are staying there.
This is a new one. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Okay so I have to ask, it is legal to ask them to leave if they are registered? If they are transient then they must put they are staying there.
This is a new one. Thanks for sharing your experience with us..
Not that I have a clue what the law is but I would think he would not be allowed to live with strangers who have a young child in the house, depending on what the criminal charges were, especially if they did not know. Like Moose said, it's not an apt complex where the other tenants have their own doors and locks and space, he's in her house.
In the case of a family, where the offender comes home, it's up to the other adults whether or not the person gets to live with the family again, even if the victims are the children of the family or other family members who live in the home.
I hope Moose has some rights in this as we all know it's just the sort of thing certain people believe goes on at B&B's and they're just looking for an opportunity to bring it up at zoning meetings.

This is a new one. Thanks for sharing your experience with us..
Not that I have a clue what the law is but I would think he would not be allowed to live with strangers who have a young child in the house, depending on what the criminal charges were, especially if they did not know. Like Moose said, it's not an apt complex where the other tenants have their own doors and locks and space, he's in her house.
In the case of a family, where the offender comes home, it's up to the other adults whether or not the person gets to live with the family again, even if the victims are the children of the family or other family members who live in the home.
I hope Moose has some rights in this as we all know it's just the sort of thing certain people believe goes on at B&B's and they're just looking for an opportunity to bring it up at zoning meetings.
I posed the question, not in ignorance, as I do know our rights here, I have children. But many here on the forum may not, so I don't think speculating is the answer. I would hope from this thread the innkeepers here would go to their state registry and look this up (for their own peace of mind). That is why I am thankful that it was shared with us. I am not saying look up every guest, by any means.
You should know what the law is and where you stand on this innmates. Also I think it was nice of the town to contact Mooseberry.

Back