On the subject of Sitemaps.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonatainn

Reaction score
I'm receiving a few sitemap errors on google webmaster tools....specifically when it targets my blog...it states a "redirect error"
The link to my blog is not on my sitemap...should it be? Should I also list my facebook, and twitter pages? Google seems to find these by itself.
Also, I used to have pages on this website, but I have removed them a LOOONg time ago (february) but google still marks it as an error on my webmaster page...what should I do? I considered creating those pages again, but with a 301 redirect...
The redirect error when it targets http://www.sonatainn.com/sonatablog is bothering me though.

Your blog is returning a 301 (moved permanently) response ... which is actually common for a wordpress blog. It has to do with some of the url re-write commands built into Wordpress.
The bigger question is why is google scanning it as part of the sitemap if it is not listed in your sitemap? I'd need to know what sitemap you've submitted to troubleshoot that further.
Overall though, an xml sitemap for a site your size is not really needed (unless you plan to grow your site significantly)
A couple of suggestions for your blog though. Turn on SEO friendly urls so you get
www.sonatainn.com/sonatablog/Red Peppers for breakfast today
instead of
www.sonatainn.com/sonatablog/?p=150
Your posts read more like you are "testing your blog" than addressing your potential guests. Which if you are just testing the blog, that's just fine ;)

Also, I used to have pages on this website, but I have removed them a LOOONg time ago (february) but google still marks it as an error on my webmaster page...what should I do? I considered creating those pages again, but with a 301 redirect...
You have to figure out where the links are that are referencing those pages. Google is looking for the page because it is following a link from somewhere to that no-longer existent page.
Webmaster tools should tell the referencing url(s). Once you find them, try to get them changed. If you can't get them changed, 301 redirect them to an existing page that is as similar in content as possible.

You have to figure out where the links are that are referencing those pages. Google is looking for the page because it is following a link from somewhere to that no-longer existent page.
Webmaster tools should tell the referencing url(s). Once you find them, try to get them changed. If you can't get them changed, 301 redirect them to an existing page that is as similar in content as possible..
Swirt:
Thanks for the tips...what I ended up doing is placing a 301 redirect in my .htaccess file for all of those non existant urls. Unfortunately, I don't have similar content to those pages that never really existed in the first place...so I redirected to the home page...I know google doesn't like that, but it will have to do for now.
For the blog....I think I figured out how to change the permalinks...they include a date, before the actual title (I think that's ok.)
I am writing to test the blog mostly....but I wonder...what is good blogging material? I don't like to include too many personal guests stories to respect people's privacy...do you normally write about events around town or such? I wrote a review of the musical performace in my town recently....should I watch for keywords?

Here's my tips on B&B blogging. I'm sure many of the others can weigh in on good blogging topics
Permalinks with date are ok..permalinks with just good titles are better. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have similar content to those pages that never really existed in the first place.
So then you've got to wonder where the links are coming from in the first place if th epages never really existed. Something else may be misfiring. Creating 301's form pages that never existed may actually lead to more trouble.

Unfortunately, I don't have similar content to those pages that never really existed in the first place.
So then you've got to wonder where the links are coming from in the first place if th epages never really existed. Something else may be misfiring. Creating 301's form pages that never existed may actually lead to more trouble..
Well, the pages were from an old site that I used to host on this space.....once I had the design up, I just erased the useless files...I don't think it's going to affect my serps TOO much...

So then you've got to wonder where the links are coming from in the first place if th epages never really existed. Something else may be misfiring. Creating 301's form pages that never existed may actually lead to more trouble..
Well, the pages were from an old site that I used to host on this space.....once I had the design up, I just erased the useless files...I don't think it's going to affect my serps TOO much...
If they are off topic and had no real history, you'd probably be better off letting them return a 404 error (page not found) rather than 301 (page moved permanently)

Back