On track to find history in the USA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
On track to find history in the USA[/h2]
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]We British find it quite easy – not to mention fun – to sneer at America’s lack of history. While we can proudly trace our origins back thousands of years, the Americans can only muster around four centuries-worth of history.[/COLOR]
But they’ve certainly packed a lot into a short space of time, as I discovered during a five-day trip around the state of Virginia on the east coast of America aboard the iconic silver Amtrak railway this autumn.
No less than former eight presidents called Virginia home, including the illustrious George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, while three out of every five battles fought during the American Civil War were fought on the state’s soil. And this being the home of capitalism, it’s all open to the public with a gift shop and glossy film to watch as well.
But visiting Virginia isn’t simply an extended history lesson, the state boasts a series of quaint towns, a varied dining experience (although the burger chains are there in abundance too), charming independent hotels and a vibrant wine and beer industry
British article and perspective
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/life_and_style/holidays/s/1467579_on-track-to-find-history-in-the-usa

PS I can't believe this line, the nerve of some people! Some Brits (sorry Cambs and Tipsy) overall I like this article...
"Virginia might not be the place you think of when you consider holidaying in America, but there’s more than you would believe tucked behind the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia."

What they fail to take into account as well is that there WERE people living here when the first Brits set foot on land. But that's a whole other topic. Being a relative newcomer myself, I'll just pipe down.

It was like the Illinois battle - Chicago vs the rest of the State that made the Civil War give birth to West Virginia. In all the history of Virginia only one Governor was elected from our side of the mountains.
Our most prestigous school honor - getting top scores in each County for 8th graders on the WV Histiry test - is becoming a Knight of the Golden Horseshoe. British Governor Alexander Spotswood promised a horseshoe of gold to anyone who would cross the mountains and settle in Western Virginia and that is how it got the name. I won on my school level and went to County but wanted it so badly that I went stupid - one of my biggest regrets is that I am NOT a Knight of the Golden Horseshoe.

Back