Once more into the fray- cancellation polices

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breakfast Diva wrote: This summer has been the worst in 10 years for cancellations and for credit cards that are declined. We have 3 situations where people have said they would dispute it with their credit card company this summer alone. I politely tell them that is their option. In 10 years we have never even had the credit card company contact us for a dispute because they see our cancellation policy and it's very clear.
This year has been the worst for me as well. I am seeing this to be a trend and time to buckle down on my policies. I state that I take a deposit of 1 nights stay when the cancel date has kicked in - I even give them the date right on their confirmation. But for the last few years I have been slacking on actually taking the deposit... all had been going smoothly until this year.
According to financial resourses, this new triend is liable to be here for a while, and may get worse before it gets better. After several discussions with DH we have decided to start following through with our deposit policies. Taking the deposit at that time insures that we do not have to worry about refunding anyone and we know for a fact that the card is good for the use of the remaining reservation. If the card is declinded, we will contact the guest and ask for another card or will cancel their reservation and open the room for rebooking.
I do not want to have a large amount of deposits sitting in my account with the possiblity of having a cancelation and needing to refund someones money. When this money hits my account, it is mine! And if I get a sob story that weaks my gut, I can then choose to either refund or give a voucher and I will be looked on as a generious soul. If I don't, I am looked at as a strict business person that has policies and stands behind them..
I am liking this idea but how do you keep track of whose deposit you need to take on any given day? I'm wondering if just the paperwork itself would make me crazy.
Do you then need to file all of those receipts to get sigs on check-in? Again, how do you do that? (Can you tell I am AWFUL at paperwork???)
Really fairly easy. Go to your management system each day and look in advance - 7, 10, 14 what ever days ahead your cancellation is and run their cards. Place the receipts in a folder, I just keep all for a given check in day paper clipped together, sticky with the date of check in. It really is not that cumbersome as you are rotating in and out each day.
On the day of check in I just place each reciept with the key and check in card together... I know you take payment on check in, so after you run the remaining charge, have them sign both reciepts and you are set.
This is the best way I have found. Less headaches than any other I have tried. Again, nothing is fool proof and there will be a few that will try to buck your system but if your policies are in place & are clearly with their confirmation, you will find it will stand up to any that fight the charge. The few I have had try, I have won.
copperhead said:
Really fairly easy. Go to your management system each day and look in advance - 7, 10, 14 what ever days ahead your cancellation is and run their cards. Place the receipts in a folder, I just keep all for a given check in day paper clipped together, sticky with the date of check in. It really is not that cumbersome as you are rotating in and out each day.
On the day of check in I just place each reciept with the key and check in card together... I know you take payment on check in, so after you run the remaining charge, have them sign both reciepts and you are set.
This is the best way I have found. Less headaches than any other I have tried. Again, nothing is fool proof and there will be a few that will try to buck your system but if your policies are in place & are clearly with their confirmation, you will find it will stand up to any that fight the charge. The few I have had try, I have won.
Copperhead, by running the cards days in advance of their arrival don't you end up paying a higher fee because you don't have the physical card?

Breakfast Diva wrote: This summer has been the worst in 10 years for cancellations and for credit cards that are declined. We have 3 situations where people have said they would dispute it with their credit card company this summer alone. I politely tell them that is their option. In 10 years we have never even had the credit card company contact us for a dispute because they see our cancellation policy and it's very clear.
This year has been the worst for me as well. I am seeing this to be a trend and time to buckle down on my policies. I state that I take a deposit of 1 nights stay when the cancel date has kicked in - I even give them the date right on their confirmation. But for the last few years I have been slacking on actually taking the deposit... all had been going smoothly until this year.
According to financial resourses, this new triend is liable to be here for a while, and may get worse before it gets better. After several discussions with DH we have decided to start following through with our deposit policies. Taking the deposit at that time insures that we do not have to worry about refunding anyone and we know for a fact that the card is good for the use of the remaining reservation. If the card is declinded, we will contact the guest and ask for another card or will cancel their reservation and open the room for rebooking.
I do not want to have a large amount of deposits sitting in my account with the possiblity of having a cancelation and needing to refund someones money. When this money hits my account, it is mine! And if I get a sob story that weaks my gut, I can then choose to either refund or give a voucher and I will be looked on as a generious soul. If I don't, I am looked at as a strict business person that has policies and stands behind them..
I am liking this idea but how do you keep track of whose deposit you need to take on any given day? I'm wondering if just the paperwork itself would make me crazy.
Do you then need to file all of those receipts to get sigs on check-in? Again, how do you do that? (Can you tell I am AWFUL at paperwork???)
copperhead said:
Copperhead, by running the cards days in advance of their arrival don't you end up paying a higher fee because you don't have the physical card?
Proud Texan said:
I probably only have card in hand about 10% of the time. Of course, my processor does not charge different fees for having or not having the card...always the same fee...which is good, because I take a deposit the day the reservation is made.

copperhead said:
Proud Texan said:
I probably only have card in hand about 10% of the time. Of course, my processor does not charge different fees for having or not having the card...always the same fee...which is good, because I take a deposit the day the reservation is made.
So LB...who is your processor?

copperhead said:
Proud Texan said:
catlady said:
I use Cellcharge...you can process by telephone or via a virtual terminal on the computer. I've been approached by a number of other processors who promise better rates. Once you factor in all their different fees and per transaction charges, cellcharge still ends up being the same or better...and no equipment to purchase or lease.

copperhead said:
I may pay a slightly higher rate for not having the card in hand, however, it is worth the $1 or .50 for the peace of mind. Knowing the guest is coming and I have been paid.

copperhead said:
Proud Texan said:
catlady said:
I use Cellcharge...you can process by telephone or via a virtual terminal on the computer. I've been approached by a number of other processors who promise better rates. Once you factor in all their different fees and per transaction charges, cellcharge still ends up being the same or better...and no equipment to purchase or lease.
That does sound convenient...and easier...do you mind sharing what your fees / per transaction costs you?

copperhead said:
It is about .1% or .2% higher (memory here) . It is worth it for me to know with out a doubt that I:
1) have a good cc#
2) get the 1st night paid - and that money is then mine.
We are all different, and do not see things the same way. If you do not take a deposit and are not loosing money through last minute cancels, don't worry about it. I have had this policy in place for a long time, I just have not followed through on the deposit end because things had been running smoothly, but I am now seeing a trend in last minute cancellations and declined cards. I do not get many last minute bookings to make up for lost revenue, time to put my policy in action again.

copperhead said:
It is about .1% or .2% higher (memory here) . It is worth it for me to know with out a doubt that I:
1) have a good cc#
We are all different, and do not see things the same way. If you do not take a deposit and are not loosing money through last minute cancels, don't worry about it. I have had this policy in place for a long time, I just have not followed through on the deposit end because things had been running smoothly, but I am now seeing a trend in last minute cancellations and declined cards. I do not get many last minute bookings to make up for lost revenue, time to put my policy in action again.
I'm taking notes on all these ideas. Looks like it's time for a 'lunch meeting'.

It all depends on where you are located and your clientele. We are in a college town and have mostly slow-to-moderate with crazy ass weekends or other sporting events. We found people banking rooms pending making actual arrangements. On some weekends we actually booked, cancelled, and rebooked the same room 4 times. This year we are instituting a $50 cancellation fee for just those special weekends. We'll see how it goes. My guess is that if that is turnoff on a multi $100's reservation, then the customer isn't really intending to come, after all.
And, as for the "emergency" cancellation, a guest once called way close to stay and said she had had (a very specific) emergency surgery; I said, sorry but you are liable unless I can rebook, a room which I could have booked 10 times back a month earlier, but nobody in their right mind is coming here now without a reservation. Manged to rebook all but one (first) night, and so informed, offered a GC, she says, "Oh, maybe I'll have my brother stay there, since it is free, and he is coming in tonight." Coming *in*? There was a party going on in the background. Fast recovery.
That said we are normally flexible on cancellations, trying to get a sense of how our market plays.

copperhead said:
1) have a good cc#
I'm taking notes on all these ideas. Looks like it's time for a 'lunch meeting'.
Have something wonderful and easy digestible, hopefully your conversation will be digested well too.
wink_smile.gif

I think the trend is going towards booking last minute and or cancelling later becuase they basically don't read anything we send them. Also it is not helped buy the many and various ways to book over the internet ie Expedia charge you when you book, laterooms doesn't and some times even if it is just sent for security some places charge in full at time of booking so people think they have already paid. it just leads to constant confusion. I am leaning towards charging all arrivals on the morning of the day they are supposed to arrive and handing out receipts as they arrive. But it would mean I never got cash as a down side.

I use Innpayment and are very happy with them. I don't have any equipment either. Got them from PAII!

Back