Once on the Web ....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Old pictures never die on the web, they are there forever giving people false impressions of your business and what you offer.
Had some guests book a room that once was painted mauve, it is now a deep olive green. When she was booking I told her the only room available was that one... she did not want that room - it is PINK. No, but there are some florals that are. Then I think - she must be looking at some old photos, I ask and she said she was on our site, saw the walls were green. Ok, just picky - get over it!!! You aren't buying the place just resting your head here a couple of days.
She arrives and lets out a VERY deep sigh, 'green, I like green.' She did see those old photos, she didn't believe that MY site had the recent photos.
This was the first time I had someone balk due to old photos out there... but how many are not booking because of them?
Not that we can do anything about this, but something to ponder over as we take more and more photos and insert them anywhere we can.

How often do you retake photos when changes are made to a room? (Asking the group collectively)
It is more than just old pix out there in cyberspace.
I retook some photos for one room two nights ago (when I replaced the images on the website I saw the date on the old ones were 2007!) I have been waiting to get a wide angle lens to retake, but finally just bit the bullet and took some.
Have you been putting updated photos out there or is google storing the few that have the most track record and so come up first?
I agree, wait, or are you saying DON'T PUT THEM OUT THERE? I agree is you said get them out ther anywhere you can, on your BLOG - submit them to directory special events or promotions, label them AND caption them if you can - do not put photos out there that say "room 2 july" or something, label them Garden House B&B every time, every image.
The internet is forever, so it seems. This is why I try to not put my FULL NAME on stuff, it really sucks when it comes up in 1000 different places "Dog toy review on amazon" and what have you.
Here is your homework for today innmates: Go to google (don't waste your time on yahoo and the rest, go to the big dawg) and type in your B&B name and all its variables, search via IMAGE (top left corner of your browser) and see what comes up. You may have GUEST IMAGES showing as well.

PS When I search images I compete with another B&B of the same name in Jefferson Texas, we battle it out for placement in google every day, images, web listing, directories. This is something to consider should you be a start up and picking a name!
PS Note 75% of these images are ours.

WOW!! There were 10 pages and on some of the last pages there was either one or none of MY photos. It was interesting to see what gets tagged by Gillum. (Plus a Linkedin photo of someone with the same name as me)

This is what I'm talking about - there are pages of images I have put out there over the years... Looking through them, you really get a good history of the transformation this place has been through.
Adding to JB's comment to label photos with the B&B name, a date may be good to add to it from now on. (hind sight is 20/20)

Don't forget to compress your images, you don't want any images out there or on your website or blog over 100kb max, really they should be half that. (I don't like dates on my images externally, I don't want someone to see an old image and think it is out of date, when really it may be the best photo I have out there), that's just me. You can also view the date in the properties of an image (without having is viewable to the gen public).

How often do you retake photos when changes are made to a room? (Asking the group collectively)
I retook some photos for one room two nights ago (when I replaced the images on the website I saw the date on the old ones were 2007!) I have been waiting to get a wide angle lens to retake, but finally just bit the bullet and took some.
Have you been putting updated photos out there or is google storing the few that have the most track record and so come up first?
I agree, wait, or are you saying DON'T PUT THEM OUT THERE? I agree is you said get them out ther anywhere you can, on your BLOG - submit them to directory special events or promotions, label them AND caption them if you can - do not put photos out there that say "room 2 july" or something, label them Garden House B&B every time, every image.
The internet is forever, so it seems. This is why I try to not put my FULL NAME on stuff, it really sucks when it comes up in 1000 different places "Dog toy review on amazon" and what have you.
Here is your homework for today innmates: Go to google (don't waste your time on yahoo and the rest, go to the big dawg) and type in your B&B name and all its variables, search via IMAGE (top left corner of your browser) and see what comes up. You may have GUEST IMAGES showing as well..
Some pretty incredibly awful photos are out there from the early 2000's. (Including, heaven help me, Agness!) Tons of food photos. I see an opportunity here!

Here is your homework for today innmates: Go to google (don't waste your time on yahoo and the rest, go to the big dawg) and type in your B&B name and all its variables, search via IMAGE (top left corner of your browser) and see what comes up. You may have GUEST IMAGES showing as well..
Major changes, I would take new photos. But, because I hired the photography out anything I take with my point n click will look out of place, so it would have to be a major change at this point. (Or I buy myself a nice camera!)

Back