One bad apple, or why guests force policy changes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my God, that is SO awful and utterly disgusting and disrespectful - not to mention they clearly shouldn't be allowed to own a dog.
So sorry these hideous, vile people put you through the gut-churning job of cleaning up their revolting filth.
I'm with Camberley - charge with an itemized bill.
I bet when you start to list the things you had to do and put appropriate charges next to them you'll be shocked by how much it comes to.
I had a friend who did this, with perfectly reasonable figures, and it came to a really big number - so she rounded it off with the phrase "As a gesture of goodwill I am willing to charge you just half this figure".
I thought that was a stroke of genious because half of it was still a worthwhile amount, but it also meant the guest was way less likely to argue about it..
SGS you are an enigma.
And this line, and I am so serious you must be standing right beside me half the time here:
According to Louis Armstrong “when you’re smilin’…the whole world smiles with you”. Well he obviously never met the couple I just checked in.
I had the couple with no personality Sun and Mon and it was killing me! I even told some innmates off forum, ya know I can do a pretty good rat tat tat routine, but I need audience feedback. When I get a blank stare it is a show stopper, I cannot force people to smile and be happy. Little did I know that WAS THEM BEING HAPPY!
Gloomathon, is that a term for the innkeeper glossary? When they came to the door to find out about a boat cruise IN A THUNDERSTORM they stared back like deer in the headlights not understanding why there was no cruise? I said, well it doesn't begin until summer time, when it warms up. They stood and stared. I began again, "Do you need dinner recommendations?" I mean it was like talking to a couple of rocks.
EXACTLY! I have a whole "comedy" routine - same "gags" in the same places, usually provokes the same smiles and chuckles, but every once in a while you'll just get a couple who're dead behind the eyes.
How ever these people meet and are attracted to each other I have no idea.
Have been a bit out of the loop with blogging and foruming lately due to B&B madness, just have a couple of hours to catch up and am so utterly horrified by Alibi Ike's story (am LOVING the new Polly avatar tho).
And people not in the biz wonder why we feel badly treated sometimes - seriously SO many people wouldn't last 24 hours in this industry with people treating us, our homes and belongings they way they do.
I always think people are heavily medicated who act this way. I wouldn't doubt it, people pop pills for any little emotion they may have, someone dies "pop a pill" in fact, here you can have an RX for the rest of your life, you don't actually want to grieve or go through any emotions. Everyone on meds will hate what I just wrote. I am anti pill popping, as you can see.
Speaking of this, and I can't go into detail, but after a lengthy conversation, and a few others with the other couple as well, we have someone this weekend who will be going down our inside stairs one by one on her butt.
I said, of course, just not getting it, since she wants to remain independent and not allow anyone to help her as "That" would embarrass her, how about just throwing her over your shoulder and bringing her down the flight of stairs? We do have other guests here! (It is hard to believe I am even typing this, but this was yesterday and we will have this scene for two days this weekend. The stairs are literally right over and beside where I am typing this - the wall in front of me, so the sound of this should be delighftul!)

Oh my God, that is SO awful and utterly disgusting and disrespectful - not to mention they clearly shouldn't be allowed to own a dog.
So sorry these hideous, vile people put you through the gut-churning job of cleaning up their revolting filth.
I bet when you start to list the things you had to do and put appropriate charges next to them you'll be shocked by how much it comes to.
I had a friend who did this, with perfectly reasonable figures, and it came to a really big number - so she rounded it off with the phrase "As a gesture of goodwill I am willing to charge you just half this figure".
I thought that was a stroke of genious because half of it was still a worthwhile amount, but it also meant the guest was way less likely to argue about it..
SGS you are an enigma.
And this line, and I am so serious you must be standing right beside me half the time here:
According to Louis Armstrong “when you’re smilin’…the whole world smiles with you”. Well he obviously never met the couple I just checked in.
I had the couple with no personality Sun and Mon and it was killing me! I even told some innmates off forum, ya know I can do a pretty good rat tat tat routine, but I need audience feedback. When I get a blank stare it is a show stopper, I cannot force people to smile and be happy. Little did I know that WAS THEM BEING HAPPY!
Gloomathon, is that a term for the innkeeper glossary? When they came to the door to find out about a boat cruise IN A THUNDERSTORM they stared back like deer in the headlights not understanding why there was no cruise? I said, well it doesn't begin until summer time, when it warms up. They stood and stared. I began again, "Do you need dinner recommendations?" I mean it was like talking to a couple of rocks.
EXACTLY! I have a whole "comedy" routine - same "gags" in the same places, usually provokes the same smiles and chuckles, but every once in a while you'll just get a couple who're dead behind the eyes.
Have been a bit out of the loop with blogging and foruming lately due to B&B madness, just have a couple of hours to catch up and am so utterly horrified by Alibi Ike's story (am LOVING the new Polly avatar tho).
And people not in the biz wonder why we feel badly treated sometimes - seriously SO many people wouldn't last 24 hours in this industry with people treating us, our homes and belongings they way they do.
I always think people are heavily medicated who act this way. I wouldn't doubt it, people pop pills for any little emotion they may have, someone dies "pop a pill" in fact, here you can have an RX for the rest of your life, you don't actually want to grieve or go through any emotions. Everyone on meds will hate what I just wrote. I am anti pill popping, as you can see.
Speaking of this, and I can't go into detail, but after a lengthy conversation, and a few others with the other couple as well, we have someone this weekend who will be going down our inside stairs one by one on her butt.
I said, of course, just not getting it, since she wants to remain independent and not allow anyone to help her as "That" would embarrass her, how about just throwing her over your shoulder and bringing her down the flight of stairs? We do have other guests here! (It is hard to believe I am even typing this, but this was yesterday and we will have this scene for two days this weekend. The stairs are literally right over and beside where I am typing this - the wall in front of me, so the sound of this should be delighftul!)
I Know its people who won't let me help with bags! I don't want you dragging the dam things up the stairs! and banging them all down again! you Beeeping idiots!

SGS you are an enigma.
If they overshare with everyone else, by the end of the weekend everyone will be thinking how brave and probably offering to contribute to her cause.

Is there some wording that can be worked in the policies stating do not be slobs, respect the establishment, yadda, yadda, yadda....
I've read many that did state excessive cleaning charges, for smoking in non-smoking rooms

Is there some wording that can be worked in the policies stating do not be slobs, respect the establishment, yadda, yadda, yadda....
I've read many that did state excessive cleaning charges, for smoking in non-smoking rooms.
I have some 'text' on the chek-in sheet regarding damages/excessive cleaning and reserving the right to charge guest for such. Most guests never read it. Some ask, 'What's this?' If they ask I tell them, 'If you run amok in your rooms, I have the right to charge you to fix things you've damaged.'
It's especially fun to see the look on the little kids' faces when they hear their parents being told not to run amok.

I've read many that did state excessive cleaning charges, for smoking in non-smoking rooms.
I have some 'text' on the chek-in sheet regarding damages/excessive cleaning and reserving the right to charge guest for such. Most guests never read it. Some ask, 'What's this?' If they ask I tell them, 'If you run amok in your rooms, I have the right to charge you to fix things you've damaged.'
It's especially fun to see the look on the little kids' faces when they hear their parents being told not to run amok.
Something else I have become aware of....after looking over many, many establishment websites..and those that are for sale.
I understand this to be location directed....Have seen a couple establishments where it was stated that they are an adult facility.....and by the pictures, decor and all. Oh yes, price point. These places don't come across they would have guests of poor caliber......not saying that all afluent folks are nip and tuck....
And certainly not all blue collar are slovenly.
I hope you don't mind my continuing this topic.......This very issue is something I would need to wrap my head around, as possibly there is the day I to experience this.....what I consider nonsense......I doubt I would be hospitable or forgiving of such pigish behavior.....I'd like to prevent such incidents, if that was possible

Something else I have become aware of....after looking over many, many establishment websites..and those that are for sale.
I understand this to be location directed....Have seen a couple establishments where it was stated that they are an adult facility.....and by the pictures, decor and all. Oh yes, price point. These places don't come across they would have guests of poor caliber......not saying that all afluent folks are nip and tuck....
And certainly not all blue collar are slovenly.
I hope you don't mind my continuing this topic.......This very issue is something I would need to wrap my head around, as possibly there is the day I to experience this.....what I consider nonsense......I doubt I would be hospitable or forgiving of such pigish behavior.....I'd like to prevent such incidents, if that was possible
One Day said:
I'd like to prevent such incidents, if that was possible
Prevention is key.
I hope, but it not always possible, to behave as the queen would...never embarrass the guest. (No matter how daft.) I come here and rant. I rarely rant at the guests, even these guests, even when I walked in on them drying the bedspread the dog had obviously peed on.
Will recheck the room tomorrow to see how it's coming along.

SGS you are an enigma.
I don't understand why someone who can't manage stairs wouldn't stay somewhere that had ground floor rooms or an elevator. This baffles me....

SGS you are an enigma.
Dh will be doing the butt climb at Innkeep's because we want to see her and because that is the only way he can do stairs. Sandyinn, let me know if there is a butt climb in his future for when we stop in to say hello. No sweat if there is, just need to forewarn as he hates surprises. And yes, stairs are USUALLY avoided.
I understand your lady, JB. DH is that way about using a wheelchair ANY time other than going to a baseball game (those seats are so choice!) because to him, it is giving in and that is not in his vocab.

It is difficult for those of us who always like to help people, to realize they do not want help. This husband was a very tall and strong man and the wife of 75 lbs, so he could have easily carried her. They are gone now, it has been a very strange weekend. My daughters helped me freshen the rooms and got a "nose" full and then a lesson from me about people dying and the conditions that happen to them. (Not an easy lesson, but easier to grasph with hands on/scents on in certain areas.)
Our old people were stepfords just like I thought, I like old people and I can usually find the sweet spot, they scowl and then you find the right connection and their eyes light up and you are their new favorite person!
The butt slider and friends are now gone - they rented a boat on the lake and got burnt up. They all enjoyed their stay, albeit a difficult one.
The mother and daughter here for college orientation are out and about.
The pompous rude people from O/S who stuffed their food and made the table unbearable and would get up and walk off without a word and THEN the table would relax and laugh and joke and be happy again - left without a goodbye or a thank you and no care whatsoever to the people who live "here" or in this part of the world.
The wedding night left flowers (romantic addon they paid for), a small tip and a nicely made bed. Now I get to reuse those flowers for the 3 nighter here on a special anniversary checking in later tonight.
So all in all, as we innkeepers say "It all comes out in the wash!" We take the good with the bad. We don't have to LIKE everyone, this ain't facebook!

It is difficult for those of us who always like to help people, to realize they do not want help. This husband was a very tall and strong man and the wife of 75 lbs, so he could have easily carried her. They are gone now, it has been a very strange weekend. My daughters helped me freshen the rooms and got a "nose" full and then a lesson from me about people dying and the conditions that happen to them. (Not an easy lesson, but easier to grasph with hands on/scents on in certain areas.)
Our old people were stepfords just like I thought, I like old people and I can usually find the sweet spot, they scowl and then you find the right connection and their eyes light up and you are their new favorite person!
The butt slider and friends are now gone - they rented a boat on the lake and got burnt up. They all enjoyed their stay, albeit a difficult one.
The mother and daughter here for college orientation are out and about.
The pompous rude people from O/S who stuffed their food and made the table unbearable and would get up and walk off without a word and THEN the table would relax and laugh and joke and be happy again - left without a goodbye or a thank you and no care whatsoever to the people who live "here" or in this part of the world.
The wedding night left flowers (romantic addon they paid for), a small tip and a nicely made bed. Now I get to reuse those flowers for the 3 nighter here on a special anniversary checking in later tonight.
So all in all, as we innkeepers say "It all comes out in the wash!" We take the good with the bad. We don't have to LIKE everyone, this ain't facebook!.
Like you say, "the variety is the spice of life type of guests". Innkeeping wouldn't be the same without them!
wink_smile.gif

Back