One guest changes policy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, I hate changing policies for one guest's 'mistake' but when the innkeeper has to get her inhaler and ends up with a honking huge headache, policies get changed.
Last night I had to close my windows because I thought someone was smoking a cigar outside on the patio and it was wafting in thru my windows. No, actually the guest was burning a candle in her room and apparently burned it all night long. My lungs shut down when I walked into the room. Then my head started pounding. New policy- absolutely NO candles, incense, potpourri, diffusers of any kind. (And I'd stop perfume if I could.)
So, the room is airing out and I can still smell the candle scent drifting in thru the windows and from the room.

Funny you mention this as I have a candle on my desk right now from the room above where I sit. Front of it reads "HIGHLY FRANGRANCED" those two little words an innkeeper does not want to read, oh and FLAMMABLE, that would be the third!
I am SO VERY THANKFUL we have normal bathtubs and no spa tubs for the candle-club to set up camp around.

Funny you mention this as I have a candle on my desk right now from the room above where I sit. Front of it reads "HIGHLY FRANGRANCED" those two little words an innkeeper does not want to read, oh and FLAMMABLE, that would be the third!
I am SO VERY THANKFUL we have normal bathtubs and no spa tubs for the candle-club to set up camp around..
Gomez thinks it was in the bathroom as that is where the scent is strongest. It's a stinkin' tiny shower for Pete's sake and givne I smelled it while they were not even in the room, it wasn't some sort of 'romance' thing. OH! I'm just realizing they weren't IN THE ROOM while the candle was burning. Oh good grief. They were outside when I smelled it and thought they were smoking on the patio.

We don't allow naked flames of any kind the previous owners did and we had to chuck all the curtains out becuase of the cigarette burns. People should never allow candles burning unsupervised! what complete idiots. sorry you were not well I am the same strong smells like that give me a migrane.

We don't allow naked flames of any kind the previous owners did and we had to chuck all the curtains out becuase of the cigarette burns. People should never allow candles burning unsupervised! what complete idiots. sorry you were not well I am the same strong smells like that give me a migrane..
We don't allow naked flames of any kind
i...can't...help...myself...with...this...one...too...many...things...come...to...mind... :)

We recently added the no candles policy. The phrase "We're always careful" carries as much weight with me as "our children are very well behaved".

I added a no candles or open flames policy on my superinn registration form that the guest signs at check-in. I make sure each guest knows not to use candles in the rooms. It is just not worth it. I have had more mess with the melted wax than anything. They dripped it all down a dresser and onto the carpet. Another guest let it drip and run down a brick fireplace and they were busy the next morning madly trying to scrap it off the bricks with a butter knife. I can still see where it once was.

Yep, you had to do it for the idjits! I was very surprised that the B&B we recently stayed at actually had candles in the rooms! And, a lighter for them. There was a sign that said, "Do not leave candles unattended". We knew from the get-go that we didn't want any kind of candle or open flame and that's why I had the flameless battery candles of various types. They actually worked pretty well and people did use them.
The guy that we had rent part of the second house before we opened the B&B used a diffuser to conceal his stinky cigar smoke, even though he knew that he wasn't supposed to smoke inside. He thought I was stupid.
The gas fireplace in one of our guest rooms made me very nervous, too. Which is why we would light it for the guests and instruct them how to turn it off, even though the manufacturer's instructions were there. If we had installed that gas fireplace, it would have been the type behind glass doors with a thermostatically controlled wall switch like some other places where we've stayed. People just are not that careful.....

Samster a comedian who was from NEAR where you were last week in NC told this story of his dad calling him an "IDJIT", and he said:
"Dad what does that mean?"
He said,"Well you are a kid, so you are a midget, plus you are not the brightest tack so you are an idiot, so that makes you an Idjit."

JB commented: I am SO VERY THANKFUL we have normal bathtubs and no spa tubs for the candle-club to set up camp around.
But it doesn't stop 'em. Once I went in to fluff a room and there were those little tin tealite candles all around the edge of the tub (normal household tub) and everywhere in the room. They are not to be used except in another holder as that tin gets very hot. I picked up each and every one & the bag (still 1/2 full) and took them out of the room. Nothing was said and I handed them to the guests on checkout.
angry_smile.gif

[email protected] wrote: We don't allow naked flames of any kind
Thank you for this chuckle to my day. Sometimes the diffrences in the use of words between cultures can be down right hysterical.

Doesn't stop them, but doesn't invite them either. Oh it happens everywhere...I bought two new room chairs and could not convince the sales person WHY I will not have a solid print/material.

Doesn't stop them, but doesn't invite them either. Oh it happens everywhere...I bought two new room chairs and could not convince the sales person WHY I will not have a solid print/material..
Joey Bloggs said:
Doesn't stop them, but doesn't invite them either. Oh it happens everywhere...I bought two new room chairs and could not convince the sales person WHY I will not have a solid print/material.
Same here with my new chairs. ALtho, I ended up getting chocolate-colored microfiber.
Try explaining to the carpet person that you want 'coffee- with a splash of cream-colored,' carpet!

Doesn't stop them, but doesn't invite them either. Oh it happens everywhere...I bought two new room chairs and could not convince the sales person WHY I will not have a solid print/material..
Joey Bloggs said:
Same here with my new chairs. ALtho, I ended up getting chocolate-colored microfiber.
Try explaining to the carpet person that you want 'coffee- with a splash of cream-colored,' carpet!
Try explaining to the carpet person that you want 'coffee- with a splash of cream-colored,' carpet!I've got that color, of course it was after it was installed.
cry_smile.gif

Re: the flameless battery candles. We had them out, but two sets of guests tried very hard to get them to light with a match!

Re: the flameless battery candles. We had them out, but two sets of guests tried very hard to get them to light with a match!.
It seems to help a little to turn at least one of those battery candles upside down so they realize it's fake instead of real. I haven't had any more attempts to light one since then.

Re: the flameless battery candles. We had them out, but two sets of guests tried very hard to get them to light with a match!.
It seems to help a little to turn at least one of those battery candles upside down so they realize it's fake instead of real. I haven't had any more attempts to light one since then.
I turn all 3 of them over and people STILL try to light them and ruin them! I now have to add it to my check-in schpele.
I confiscate any flame candles I see in the room and give them back at check-out. They have been warned many times before they get here that there are no candles (website, policies that they have to agree to on webervations and confirmation letter).

i had flameless candles all over the place and it was in our policies... and in the room info explaining ... mort, i didn't realize you allowed candles. we told guests it was because of our fire insurance policy ... old building, wooden decks, etc.
guests really liked the flameless candles ... i set them inside other things to make them look more real. i had columns, tapers and tea lights that i put inside jars.
confession: i am a naked flame lover (
embaressed_smile.gif
)

Back