One Job Down

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
Life happens. A family member needs some help and a new employee has come on at the paid job, who can absorb my duties......so I'm officially retired from outside work. The last few months have been pretty busy....to the point that room upgrades did not get done, but we'll start on shower upgrade next week....scheduled anyway. Whew. Waiting on a couple for breakfast now before off to see the visiting nurse. Nice to be able to focus close to home.

thumbs_up.gif

Good for you! Life can be crazy. Glad you can 'find' some more time now.

Congratulations! With all the work you have planned, don't forget to smell the roses.

Congratulations on your retirement from one job. Now you can go full-time innkeeper - I hope it is more fun for you than the other job.

When you look back on yet this period in your life you will wonder how you ever found the time to manage both jobs! Still, there will not be enough hours in the day to do all you want with the B&B.

When you look back on yet this period in your life you will wonder how you ever found the time to manage both jobs! Still, there will not be enough hours in the day to do all you want with the B&B..
That is exactly right. I was laid off about 2 months ago and looking back, I can't figure out how I got everything done!

Time is such a precious commodity. I went through a similar situation. Congrats on the retirement. :)

When you look back on yet this period in your life you will wonder how you ever found the time to manage both jobs! Still, there will not be enough hours in the day to do all you want with the B&B..
That is exactly right. I was laid off about 2 months ago and looking back, I can't figure out how I got everything done!
You guys managing alright with just the inn?

I nearly packed in the day job after our last season, but one of the employees at my workplace has some serious health issues and was not able to complete all work needed. As I have a more technical background than others I filled in, and filled in........at any rate, a new person has been found who is being trained (and I have been doing some of that too) to fill the position. As it happens the new employee can do my job too, and with the hours I officially had, its worth it to him to do his new job plus my old one to up the pay a bit. Its a non-profit and the pay is low, but it was a good fit for me when I came on board. I promised them 5 years. It's been 8, and I'd really like to be a homebody, tend to the inn and to my Dad while I have the privilege to do so. We have another small business for our primary retirement income. The inn has become a significant secondary income. So to answer your question - we're in good shape.
Hope to visit you one of these days. Along with a lot of other innmates slightly closer to home!

I nearly packed in the day job after our last season, but one of the employees at my workplace has some serious health issues and was not able to complete all work needed. As I have a more technical background than others I filled in, and filled in........at any rate, a new person has been found who is being trained (and I have been doing some of that too) to fill the position. As it happens the new employee can do my job too, and with the hours I officially had, its worth it to him to do his new job plus my old one to up the pay a bit. Its a non-profit and the pay is low, but it was a good fit for me when I came on board. I promised them 5 years. It's been 8, and I'd really like to be a homebody, tend to the inn and to my Dad while I have the privilege to do so. We have another small business for our primary retirement income. The inn has become a significant secondary income. So to answer your question - we're in good shape.
Hope to visit you one of these days. Along with a lot of other innmates slightly closer to home!
I'm visiting my dad right now. It's nice to have the time to do that.

Visited my Dad in the rehab hospital last night. Getting old is not pretty.

No, it is not pretty and the weak cannot handle it. Himself and I just prop each other put and keep moving.
He is actually using the wheelchair to go to the doctor these days. He also told the guy with the motorcycle event that he may use the wheelchair this year. (This was when I told Tom I was complicating his life with the event this year.Someone will have to get Himself from the hotel to the event and back Saturday and "babysit" him. I bought my plane tickets to go to Grandson #2's wedding in July - the same day as Himself's big day of the year.
I am going to get him settled for the night Friday, then drive to Pittsburgh and spend the night at the airport - I have a 6 AM flight to Chi. Wedding at 2, reception at 6, and I fly out of Chi at 7:30 AM Sunday. I will request a late checkout on Sunday because my timing is VERY close.

No, it is not pretty and the weak cannot handle it. Himself and I just prop each other put and keep moving.
He is actually using the wheelchair to go to the doctor these days. He also told the guy with the motorcycle event that he may use the wheelchair this year. (This was when I told Tom I was complicating his life with the event this year.Someone will have to get Himself from the hotel to the event and back Saturday and "babysit" him. I bought my plane tickets to go to Grandson #2's wedding in July - the same day as Himself's big day of the year.
I am going to get him settled for the night Friday, then drive to Pittsburgh and spend the night at the airport - I have a 6 AM flight to Chi. Wedding at 2, reception at 6, and I fly out of Chi at 7:30 AM Sunday. I will request a late checkout on Sunday because my timing is VERY close.
Hug.
heart.gif

Congratulations! With all the work you have planned, don't forget to smell the roses..
LOL The deer eat the roses before we can smell them! Thanks Diva. You two are an inns-piration!
Skamokawa said:
LOL The deer eat the roses before we can smell them! Thanks Diva. You two are an inns-piration!
Awww, thanks. I can relate to your deer problems. There's just always things to do, especially an an old house. The Cottage is scheduled to be painted on it's exterior this week. Ugh, rain is now in the forecast. Yard crew was here yesterday. 3 people for 5 hours. Still not done!
Now that both of you are full time innkeepers, it's even more important to get away on little trips. (hint, hint)

Back