One last slap

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
So, one last slap- $14 resort fee, $25/each for breakfast, looking at a 10 storey concrete wall out the window and it is $5 to print each boarding pass.
I am so posting a blog about this.

Talk about nickel and diming you to the poor house. Did that breakfast taste $25 good???? $5 is outrageous when you think about it but it so worth it than to spend the time in the lines, and they know it.
Gee I wonder how much I could have made over the years in boarding pass printing fees???
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Maybe it's not outrageous that they charge $25pp, maybe we are the dumb ones for giving it away, should be start a movement just to be called "Beds and nothing else"?

Alibi Ike said:
So, one last slap- $14 resort fee, $25/each for breakfast, looking at a 10 storey concrete wall out the window and it is $5 to print each boarding pass.
That is a $50 breakfast!! Plus tax I will wager! AND TIP. What do they charge for dinner?????? All I can say is cowabunga! are we geting ripped! And we are expected to give them incentives ($25 gas card) to come here besides?

Maybe we need to be like the PEOPLE who call us. Old geezer from CT called at least 10 times, tells me my website is broken cuz it won't take his reservation. I ask which room and it is not available for his dates. !! Then after all his pita-ness "I better still get the $10 for booking online!"
Maybe we need to walk around and tell people "I BETTER!"
Maybe we need to be PITAS
Maybe we need to cause a fuss and a stink and demand discounts.
I saw a tweet by the BWTS PR person "New England B&Bs are joining others throughout the country to give high gas prices a kick in the pants! Want free gas?"
FREE GAS? IS THIS WHAT THE PROMO IS?
The problem with any org is you need to believe in it and all rally round, this is getting increasingly more difficult...why does drawing attention to B&B's as a better way to stay need to be GIVE THEM HUGE DISCOUNTS AND FREE GAS? I look like a cheapskate on there with my weenie $15 off.
So the only way, so far, right out of the gate, to show B&B's as a BWTS is to show we give away huge discounts. When MOST B&B's do not do this. This is why they are a BWTS? So this is why they are Gen X and Gen Y?

Maybe we need to be like the PEOPLE who call us. Old geezer from CT called at least 10 times, tells me my website is broken cuz it won't take his reservation. I ask which room and it is not available for his dates. !! Then after all his pita-ness "I better still get the $10 for booking online!"
I saw a tweet by the BWTS PR person "New England B&Bs are joining others throughout the country to give high gas prices a kick in the pants! Want free gas?"
The problem with any org is you need to believe in it and all rally round, this is getting increasingly more difficult...why does drawing attention to B&B's as a better way to stay need to be GIVE THEM HUGE DISCOUNTS AND FREE GAS? I look like a cheapskate on there with my weenie $15 off.
So the only way, so far, right out of the gate, to show B&B's as a BWTS is to show we give away huge discounts. When MOST B&B's do not do this. This is why they are a BWTS? So this is why they are Gen X and Gen Y?.
So the only way, so far, right out of the gate, to show B&B's as a BWTS is to show we give away huge discounts. When MOST B&B's do not do this. This is why they are a BWTS? So this is why they are Gen X and Gen Y?
The new 'genious' marketing strategy of late! Are you a safe driver? Discount!, "Is it wise to let a parishable item spoil?" Even grocery stories are in on it - one has struck a deal with a major oil company for discounts on gas after spending $$$ in their store.
Gen X & Y is being brainwashed into thinking that everything can be bargained...

So the only way, so far, right out of the gate, to show B&B's as a BWTS is to show we give away huge discounts. When MOST B&B's do not do this. This is why they are a BWTS? So this is why they are Gen X and Gen Y?.
We have been trying to tell them that the free gas thing has been around since the 70s and is not cutting edge or edgy at all and they are ignoring us.
Plus they are telling us that we are being old farts complaining about the "WTF" they originally had on the ad. I just was reading a magazine yesterday, People magazine, where there was editorials in it complaining that they used "WTF" in some ad program.
Riki

Joey Bloggs said:
Here is what Virginia is using and I keep asking if they are going to leave the wording that tells the guest they will be receiving free gas
BBAV.gif

They mention in print underneath it I think that some inns may have other promos than $25 free gas but we all know that nobody reads anything and will think the worst if they don't get it.
I understood that we would all offer our own $25 worth of something - whatever we came up with but this ad makes everyone do simply $25 worth of free gas for a two night stay.
So I would have to do that for all my current bookings when i'm already booked almost every weekend that emcompasses this time frame, and I ALREADY give EACH GUEST that books my wine tour $25 discount on the wine tour.
RIki

We have been trying to tell them that the free gas thing has been around since the 70s and is not cutting edge or edgy at all and they are ignoring us.
Plus they are telling us that we are being old farts complaining about the "WTF" they originally had on the ad. I just was reading a magazine yesterday, People magazine, where there was editorials in it complaining that they used "WTF" in some ad program.
Riki
Yes, the website with elegant images on the header does not convey a personal 22 year-old text messaging his/her college buddy rude messages, it was VERY unprofessional. That was a huge mistake, edgy vs crude are two different things. Representing all those involved in a crude way was wrong, and I am sure they lost plenty of backers due to that.
Not all Gen-Y and Gen-X use crude language, hate to break it to them.
To participate you are required to have the promotion on YOUR WEBSITE, and as mentioned, this means every booking YOU NOW HAVE will be getting the same DEAL. A deal is a deal, let them find the deal at least, to put it on our website is, as we say so often, sending them away from our website, AND giving them something which is supposed to be a promotion to get attention.

There is no DELETE button on the BWTS website for a special as mine is only $15 off, I emailed to ask them to remove it entirely.
Here is the latest news blast, fyi for anyone not participating:
BWTS
To date more than 150 inns and B&Bs have posted packages on www.BetterwaytoStay.com. Hat’s off to those who’ve jumped on the "B&Bs Kick Gas” wagon and are participating. We know there are a number of others who’d like to participate, but simply haven’t posted packages yet, and still others who don’t plan to participate. We’re going to release the campaign to the media on April 15th, and hope to tie into Earth Day with a number of packages designed to reward travelers for eco-friendly driving and carpooling. It’s not too late to post your package, and we encourage you to do so by this Thursday, April 14. While there’s no time limit to when packages can be posted, we encourage you to do so soon to take advantage of the media push we’ll have shortly.
Please remember you can create any kind of package you like as long as there is a tie-in to gas, driving and travel to your inn/B&B. We ask that a minimum of a $25 added value be part of your package (doesn’t have to be a discount), and that it’s valid at least through June 30, 2011, if possible. We encourage you to read through some of the posted packages to get a sense of what other innkeepers are offering and collect some ideas for your package.
Here are the instructions for posting your package:
  • Go to www.Betterwaytostay.com
  • Mouse over FOR INNKEEPERS then select SUBMIT A SPECIAL
  • Scroll down and you’ll see two blue boxes. Click on the REGISTER box.
  • Create a user name and input your email address. A password will be emailed immediately (if you don’t see it, check your spam folder).
  • Once you have your password, go back to SUBMIT A SPECIAL, and then scroll down to the LOG-IN blue box. Click on that box and input your offer and the other info requested. We strongly encourage you to include a featured photo too.
We’ve received a great deal of input via email and phone from innkeepers – overwhelmingly in strong support of the campaign, but some criticism due to the use of "colorful” language in this first promo. While we want you to know we’ve read each and every email (so many arrived so quickly), we are not able to answer each one. But, your feedback is very important to us, and all of it will help shape future efforts and promotions under the Better Way to Stay Campaign.
We’ve created a promo to launch the Better Way to Stay program that some describe as edgy…some say irreverent…and some say too crude...some say it’s perfect. We won’t be creating a campaign that’ll work for every inn/B&B in every market all the time. A campaign that pleases all innkeepers will not be possible. At the same time, we have to create content that will be interesting, catchy, humorous and worthy of the attention of media and the next generation of B&B guests. The sweet spot will be when we have created something unexpected that makes Gen X and Y think about us AND is acceptable to most innkeepers – and we will strive for that, but we will not succeed in pleasing all audiences all the time. In all of this, our primary audience to attract will be Gen X and Y. We have dozens of fresh, funny and very interesting ideas waiting on the burners that will both earn us much-deserved attention AND highlight why B&Bs rock when compared to the alternatives out there. I’m confident we will create stuff that you will want to trumpet from the roof tops.

Riki
Yes, the website with elegant images on the header does not convey a personal 22 year-old text messaging his/her college buddy rude messages, it was VERY unprofessional. That was a huge mistake, edgy vs crude are two different things. Representing all those involved in a crude way was wrong, and I am sure they lost plenty of backers due to that.
To participate you are required to have the promotion on YOUR WEBSITE, and as mentioned, this means every booking YOU NOW HAVE will be getting the same DEAL. A deal is a deal, let them find the deal at least, to put it on our website is, as we say so often, sending them away from our website, AND giving them something which is supposed to be a promotion to get attention.
Joey Bloggs said:
I already give all my guests a $25 per person disount on their wine tour and that would be all that I would put up. I may do it on their website but not on the VA Assn website as they are promising all two night stays $25 worth of gas. They are not even letting us design our own package.
RIki

There is no DELETE button on the BWTS website for a special as mine is only $15 off, I emailed to ask them to remove it entirely.
BWTS
To date more than 150 inns and B&Bs have posted packages on www.BetterwaytoStay.com. Hat’s off to those who’ve jumped on the "B&Bs Kick Gas” wagon and are participating. We know there are a number of others who’d like to participate, but simply haven’t posted packages yet, and still others who don’t plan to participate. We’re going to release the campaign to the media on April 15th, and hope to tie into Earth Day with a number of packages designed to reward travelers for eco-friendly driving and carpooling. It’s not too late to post your package, and we encourage you to do so by this Thursday, April 14. While there’s no time limit to when packages can be posted, we encourage you to do so soon to take advantage of the media push we’ll have shortly.
Please remember you can create any kind of package you like as long as there is a tie-in to gas, driving and travel to your inn/B&B. We ask that a minimum of a $25 added value be part of your package (doesn’t have to be a discount), and that it’s valid at least through June 30, 2011, if possible. We encourage you to read through some of the posted packages to get a sense of what other innkeepers are offering and collect some ideas for your package.
  • Create a user name and input your email address. A password will be emailed immediately (if you don’t see it, check your spam folder).
  • Once you have your password, go back to SUBMIT A SPECIAL, and then scroll down to the LOG-IN blue box. Click on that box and input your offer and the other info requested. We strongly encourage you to include a featured photo too.
We’ve received a great deal of input via email and phone from innkeepers – overwhelmingly in strong support of the campaign, but some criticism due to the use of "colorful” language in this first promo. While we want you to know we’ve read each and every email (so many arrived so quickly), we are not able to answer each one. But, your feedback is very important to us, and all of it will help shape future efforts and promotions under the Better Way to Stay Campaign.
We’ve created a promo to launch the Better Way to Stay program that some describe as edgy…some say irreverent…and some say too crude...some say it’s perfect. We won’t be creating a campaign that’ll work for every inn/B&B in every market all the time. A campaign that pleases all innkeepers will not be possible. At the same time, we have to create content that will be interesting, catchy, humorous and worthy of the attention of media and the next generation of B&B guests. The sweet spot will be when we have created something unexpected that makes Gen X and Y think about us AND is acceptable to most innkeepers – and we will strive for that, but we will not succeed in pleasing all audiences all the time. In all of this, our primary audience to attract will be Gen X and Y. We have dozens of fresh, funny and very interesting ideas waiting on the burners that will both earn us much-deserved attention AND highlight why B&Bs rock when compared to the alternatives out there. I’m confident we will create stuff that you will want to trumpet from the roof tops..
...we have to create content that will be interesting, catchy, humorous and worthy of the attention of media and the next generation of B&B guests.
But the use of crude slang does not need to be used. There are many MANY ways to be catchy and humorous to the younger generations with out lowering the standards of our industry.
We have dozens of fresh, funny and very interesting ideas waiting on the burners that will both earn us much-deserved attention AND highlight why B&Bs rock when compared to the alternatives out there.
If so, with all the out-cry, why couldn't they use one of the 'dozens' of other ideas to jump start this campaign. Save the slang for a time when we have seen the campaign works.
After seeing this same type of marketing pertaining to a major campaign, I asked my gen y kids about it. They both said 'are you serious?' They did laugh but said that most would see right through the attempt and discredit them.
I just started thinking about the past... remembering when I was young and we would see the 'older' generation try to be 'hip' letting their hair grow long (men), talking or trying to be 'cool'. We laughed AT them - this is no different, and it will bring about the same results I'm afraid.
The trouble with this, just like when sitcoms stereotype B&B's with little ole blue haired grannies and doilies everywhere; if it is highly broadcast we ALL will have this to deal with whether or not we participated in the ad or not... we all get lumped in - just like having to disprove the doily factor!

BWTS
We’ve created a promo to launch the Better Way to Stay program that some describe as edgy…some say irreverent…and some say too crude...some say it’s perfect. We won’t be creating a campaign that’ll work for every inn/B&B in every market all the time. A campaign that pleases all innkeepers will not be possible. At the same time, we have to create content that will be interesting, catchy, humorous and worthy of the attention of media and the next generation of B&B guests. The sweet spot will be when we have created something unexpected that makes Gen X and Y think about us AND is acceptable to most innkeepers – and we will strive for that, but we will not succeed in pleasing all audiences all the time. In all of this, our primary audience to attract will be Gen X and Y. We have dozens of fresh, funny and very interesting ideas waiting on the burners that will both earn us much-deserved attention AND highlight why B&Bs rock when compared to the alternatives out there. I’m confident we will create stuff that you will want to trumpet from the roof tops..
...we have to create content that will be interesting, catchy, humorous and worthy of the attention of media and the next generation of B&B guests.
But the use of crude slang does not need to be used. There are many MANY ways to be catchy and humorous to the younger generations with out lowering the standards of our industry.
We have dozens of fresh, funny and very interesting ideas waiting on the burners that will both earn us much-deserved attention AND highlight why B&Bs rock when compared to the alternatives out there.
If so, with all the out-cry, why couldn't they use one of the 'dozens' of other ideas to jump start this campaign. Save the slang for a time when we have seen the campaign works.
After seeing this same type of marketing pertaining to a major campaign, I asked my gen y kids about it. They both said 'are you serious?' They did laugh but said that most would see right through the attempt and discredit them.
I just started thinking about the past... remembering when I was young and we would see the 'older' generation try to be 'hip' letting their hair grow long (men), talking or trying to be 'cool'. We laughed AT them - this is no different, and it will bring about the same results I'm afraid.
The trouble with this, just like when sitcoms stereotype B&B's with little ole blue haired grannies and doilies everywhere; if it is highly broadcast we ALL will have this to deal with whether or not we participated in the ad or not... we all get lumped in - just like having to disprove the doily factor!
Like a rolling stone....
How does it feel? How does it feel?
To be without a home, like a complete unknown...like a rolling stone...
We need THIS GUY to be the spokesmodel. Gen Y and X like humor, like fun, like not being TOLD what sort of car to drive.
2267911306_a9f3963aa0_o.jpg

or maybe this guy?
old%20spice%20dude.jpg

jdon48l.jpg

I invited Marti to visit this thread, if she is interested, for more unwanted feedback. :) It is valuable info, to see the frustration level. She emailed back about my promo as I was trying ot delete it and I used the contact form to email.

Alibi Ike said:
That is a $50 breakfast!! Plus tax I will wager! AND TIP. What do they charge for dinner?????? All I can say is cowabunga! are we geting ripped! And we are expected to give them incentives ($25 gas card) to come here besides?.
gillumhouse said:
What do they charge for dinner??????
Last night we paid $42 for dinner for 2. Left a $5 tip, but only because the spouse is more generous than I am. The busboy waited on us. Our server showed up to collect the tip, tho.

I totally agree with all of you. I think they really missed the mark with this one. Smacks of the same promotions bb.com has been using for years. WHY is it that we need to pony up for the very first promotion of BWTS?!!?!?!?!?! It's a terrible precident. Take an industry where most of us haven't seen a room increase in a couple of years and all utilities, food and insurance has soared up around us. Sure, they say we don't need to give an actual $25 gas card, but isn't it the whole point B&Bs are better, offer more and have an added value? STOP GIVING THEM THE DISCOUNT MENTALITY!
This IS not "thinking out of the box", it's just using an old idea and trying to freshen it up with "edgy language". It's nothing new, nothing unique and not very creative.
I'm one of the biggest supporters of PAII, but this is very disappointing.

Just came back from a little shopping trip and stopped for fast food, a gen y customer was wearing a t-shirt that said "F (spelled out) Milk, Got Po t?" -
Yeah, those are the ones I want to market to - NOT!!!
A man in his late 30's early 40's said to him - glad my kids aren't in here and seeing your shirt, while others were nodding in agreement.
So who is YOUR market?

Just came back from a little shopping trip and stopped for fast food, a gen y customer was wearing a t-shirt that said "F (spelled out) Milk, Got Po t?" -
Yeah, those are the ones I want to market to - NOT!!!
A man in his late 30's early 40's said to him - glad my kids aren't in here and seeing your shirt, while others were nodding in agreement.
So who is YOUR market?.
copperhead said:
So who is YOUR market?
Geezers. And everyday those 40-somethings are turning 50.
Sat thru an entire dinner last night with a 60-something woman at the next table cursing at someone on her cell. Don't want her either. No class.

Back