One last slap

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came back from a little shopping trip and stopped for fast food, a gen y customer was wearing a t-shirt that said "F (spelled out) Milk, Got Po t?" -
Yeah, those are the ones I want to market to - NOT!!!
A man in his late 30's early 40's said to him - glad my kids aren't in here and seeing your shirt, while others were nodding in agreement.
So who is YOUR market?.
Does anyone remember when comedians were funny witout using one foul word? I remember a whole list of them that never used a curse word, bodily function, or rude gestures to get a laugh. Most of them did not just get a chuckle - they got huge belly laughs. They talked about people we all know. EVERYONE had an aunt or uncle or some relative or friend just like what was being described - and it was the timing of the delivery that made it funny. Jack Benny could get laughs with just a look or an eyebrow lift. Fred Allen was a master of the English language. Sam Levin had people rolling in the aisles. The best of the more recent was Cosby. The current "funny" people use the WORD every other word. So sad.....

Just came back from a little shopping trip and stopped for fast food, a gen y customer was wearing a t-shirt that said "F (spelled out) Milk, Got Po t?" -
A man in his late 30's early 40's said to him - glad my kids aren't in here and seeing your shirt, while others were nodding in agreement.
So who is YOUR market?.
Does anyone remember when comedians were funny witout using one foul word? I remember a whole list of them that never used a curse word, bodily function, or rude gestures to get a laugh. Most of them did not just get a chuckle - they got huge belly laughs. They talked about people we all know. EVERYONE had an aunt or uncle or some relative or friend just like what was being described - and it was the timing of the delivery that made it funny. Jack Benny could get laughs with just a look or an eyebrow lift. Fred Allen was a master of the English language. Sam Levin had people rolling in the aisles. The best of the more recent was Cosby. The current "funny" people use the WORD every other word. So sad.....
gillumhouse said:
BILL COSBY!!! His family themed routines still get me in stitches. "You out there snakes?"
RIki

So who is YOUR market?.
gillumhouse said:
BILL COSBY!!! His family themed routines still get me in stitches. "You out there snakes?"
RIki
I watch them on YouTube. Sometimes I have to pause it becuase I am laughing too hard to hear the rest of it. :)

Had a sweet guest from the Diocese in our state capital. She mentioned the Bishop chose not t stay at B&B's as he has diabetes and prefers H.I. with a continental boo-fay so he can just choose what he can eat.
Wanted to share this, as it is another reason someone who would enjoy a B&B chooses not to stay at them. Now you can say, like I did "I have diabetics all the time, it is no problem at all to fix them something they can eat!" But there are people, I know this is hard for us as innkeepers to believe, that are private about their health issues. We have so many with T.M.I. but there are plenty who don't want it to be known and discussed with others outside their family.
So I totally respect that, vs those demanding guests "me me me" and much of it is like vs allergy/restrictions/religious beliefs!

So who is YOUR market?.
gillumhouse said:
RIki
My favorite one did have some mild cursing in it but I remember it made my father cry with laughter "But Dad, I'm Jesus Christ!"

So who is YOUR market?.
gillumhouse said:
The best was Red Skelton, and he even ended with . . . God bless!

So who is YOUR market?.
gillumhouse said:
Does anyone remember when comedians were funny witout using one foul word?
YES, and there is one I will share with you AGAIN, and you will laugh your head off and love him! BRIAN REGAN, N'er a foul word, family friendly and hilarious. We have seen him live and will see him again and again.
Here are some for you to enjoy:
EMERGENCY ROOM
ME MONSTER
FLYING
EYE DOCTOR
DOCTOR VIDEO

Alibi Ike said:
So, one last slap- $14 resort fee, $25/each for breakfast, looking at a 10 storey concrete wall out the window and it is $5 to print each boarding pass.
Travelzooe has a special ocenfront hotel on Hilton Head Island SC. Only 13 hotels are ocean front, $89 per night Sun - thurs unitl June 17th peak season.
So I click - wow rooms avail...and now look (hope it posts okay) $89 room per night:

[tr]
Tax: :[/td]
11% per night not included in rate effective 24 April, 2011 thru 27 April, 2011
8 PERCENT STATE TAX AND 3 PERCENT LOCAL TAX. [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
Service Charge:[/td]
9.95 USD per night not included in rate effective 24 April, 2011 thru 27 April, 2011 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
Early Departure Fee:[/td]
$39.00 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
Daily Parking Fee:[/td]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
Daily Valet Parking Fee:[/td]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
Pet Policy:[/td]
Pets allowed Sept to Feb. 1st night $45, remaining nights $5. Leash required at all times except beaches. From Fri of Memorial wknd through Mon of Labor Day each year, dogs not allowed on beach 10am & 5pm nor in designated swimming areas at any hour.[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
What is the early departure fee? I do not know. And they give you all this and NO TOTAL, you have to enter your credit card info and book it before they give you the total.
ahhh here it is:
Early Departure Fee you will be charged if you check out prior to your check out date. (again look at my siggie line) you can check out but you can never leave1!! barahhaaahhaaaa

Alibi Ike said:
So, one last slap- $14 resort fee, $25/each for breakfast, looking at a 10 storey concrete wall out the window and it is $5 to print each boarding pass.
Travelzooe has a special ocenfront hotel on Hilton Head Island SC. Only 13 hotels are ocean front, $89 per night Sun - thurs unitl June 17th peak season.
So I click - wow rooms avail...and now look (hope it posts okay) $89 room per night:

[tr]
[/tr]
[tr]
9.95 USD per night not included in rate effective 24 April, 2011 thru 27 April, 2011 [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
$39.00 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
Pets allowed Sept to Feb. 1st night $45, remaining nights $5. Leash required at all times except beaches. From Fri of Memorial wknd through Mon of Labor Day each year, dogs not allowed on beach 10am & 5pm nor in designated swimming areas at any hour.[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
What is the early departure fee? I do not know. And they give you all this and NO TOTAL, you have to enter your credit card info and book it before they give you the total.
ahhh here it is:
Early Departure Fee you will be charged if you check out prior to your check out date. (again look at my siggie line) you can check out but you can never leave1!! barahhaaahhaaaa.
I will assume you were looking at going between those April dates and that those fees aren't only for those dates! And what, pray tell, is a 'service charge'? It's not, BTW, a tip. The hotel gets it free and clear simply because they charge it. $20/day to have your car parked even if you park it yourself?
Food? Anything included?
I hate finding a hotel now. I was totally fed up after I made my rez a month or so ago.

Alibi Ike said:

[tr]
[/tr]
[tr]
[/tr]
[tr]
$39.00 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[/tr]

[/table]
ahhh here it is:
Early Departure Fee you will be charged if you check out prior to your check out date. (again look at my siggie line) you can check out but you can never leave1!! barahhaaahhaaaa.
I can't blame them for having an early departure fee. I have one and had to use it once. Sorry folks but it is just like canceling... imho.

Alibi Ike said:

[tr]
[/tr]
[tr]
[/tr]
[tr]
$39.00 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[/tr]

[/table]
ahhh here it is:
I can't blame them for having an early departure fee. I have one and had to use it once. Sorry folks but it is just like canceling... imho.
copperhead said:
Don't you just charge the room price? This sounds like an additional fee to cancel. $39 PLUS the room. I only charge the room price.

Alibi Ike said:

[tr]
[/tr]
[tr]
[/tr]
[tr]
$39.00 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
$9.95 (USD)[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[/tr]

[/table]
ahhh here it is:
copperhead said:
Don't you just charge the room price? This sounds like an additional fee to cancel. $39 PLUS the room. I only charge the room price.
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Most hotels don't charge someone for the room if they check out early, so it is my thinking that they are charging a fee instead... Again, I could be wrong - it would not be the first!

Alibi....You were in a resort area, right?
We have to remember perspective. Also, supply and demand.
There's a big difference between a place like that and some of the locales here on the forum.

There's a big difference between a place like that and some of the locales here on the forum..
Samster said:
You were in a resort area, right?
There's a big difference between a place like that and some of the locales here on the forum.
I don't know. Do you consider Vegas a resort area? With them screaming poverty lately you'd think they'd be a little more accommodating. However, like I said, the room was about the same price as the addon fees. But, the same room I booked for $86 was $325 the day I stayed at $86. (Had to check it for my mother who ended up not coming due to the price!)

There's a big difference between a place like that and some of the locales here on the forum..
Samster said:
I don't know. Do you consider Vegas a resort area? With them screaming poverty lately you'd think they'd be a little more accommodating. However, like I said, the room was about the same price as the addon fees. But, the same room I booked for $86 was $325 the day I stayed at $86. (Had to check it for my mother who ended up not coming due to the price!)
Absolutely! You're not staying in some small town! Vegas is a tourist mecca. Good grief!
Here's some perspective for you....
If we had taken advantage of the car park for our Hilton hotel in the UK - 17 GBP for the daytime ($28) & 25 GBP ($40) = $68 a day. That was the rate, but you could have in and out privileges. Oh, and if the park right at the hotel was full, you had to park in the overflow and it could take them 20 minutes to get your car. Tack that on to a car rental! We opted for the public car park right across the street which only charged roughly $3.75 overnight and $3.50 PER HOUR during the day. So, we ended up paying roughly $11/day with the overnight rate by the time we got out of there to tour during the day.
More perspective...
Gas prices? $2.20 per LITRE over there.
I could go into the cost of food but you get the idea....
regular_smile.gif

Do I regret going and paying the price? No way....

Samster said:
Absolutely! You're not staying in some small town! Vegas is a tourist mecca. Good grief!
If we had taken advantage of the car park for our Hilton hotel in the UK - 17 GBP for the daytime ($28) & 25 GBP ($40) = $68 a day. That was the rate, but you could have in and out privileges. Oh, and if the park right at the hotel was full, you had to park in the overflow and it could take them 20 minutes to get your car. Tack that on to a car rental! We opted for the public car park right across the street which only charged roughly $3.75 overnight and $3.50 PER HOUR during the day. So, we ended up paying roughly $11/day with the overnight rate by the time we got out of there to tour during the day.
More perspective...
regular_smile.gif

$4.37/gal in Vegas. Luckily no fee to park the car. But we parked it a 1/2 mile away.
Of course Vegas is not podunk! But when an entire town is screaming and bleeding money (my kid just bought a house for $25k, yeah, 3 zeros) they need to understand that charging for every little thing is not how you make guests feel welcome.
It doesn't help that I hate Vegas. Even if everything were free it would be the last place I would consider for a vacation. So, paying fees amounting to the price of the room didn't help. Charge me the full rate and throw everything in and I'm a happy camper. I can pick where I want without having to figure out how much extra I'm going to pay.
Vegas is not the sort of town that cares, tho. Even tho they have superstructures rusting on the strip because no one is building, they don't care. Service was abysmal.

Samster said:
More perspective...
regular_smile.gif

$4.37/gal in Vegas. Luckily no fee to park the car. But we parked it a 1/2 mile away.
Of course Vegas is not podunk! But when an entire town is screaming and bleeding money (my kid just bought a house for $25k, yeah, 3 zeros) they need to understand that charging for every little thing is not how you make guests feel welcome.
It doesn't help that I hate Vegas. Even if everything were free it would be the last place I would consider for a vacation. So, paying fees amounting to the price of the room didn't help. Charge me the full rate and throw everything in and I'm a happy camper. I can pick where I want without having to figure out how much extra I'm going to pay.
Vegas is not the sort of town that cares, tho. Even tho they have superstructures rusting on the strip because no one is building, they don't care. Service was abysmal.
The casinos make the money. You're right, they don't care in Vegas, generally speaking. It is what it is.
I have no desire to ever go to Vegas in my lifetime. (I've been to Reno and that was plenty.) There are too many other fabulous places not only in this country, but the world!
Our petrol was over $8 American equivalent/Imperial gallon. We still have cheap gas here compared to many, many countries. Although I'm a big fan of using the British train system (and I did while we were there), having our own car gave us the flexibility of just pulling off the road to go where we wanted to and see what we wanted to see....which is how we roll.
regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
More perspective...
regular_smile.gif

The casinos make the money. You're right, they don't care in Vegas, generally speaking. It is what it is.
I have no desire to ever go to Vegas in my lifetime. (I've been to Reno and that was plenty.) There are too many other fabulous places not only in this country, but the world!
Our petrol was over $8 American equivalent/Imperial gallon. We still have cheap gas here compared to many, many countries. Although I'm a big fan of using the British train system (and I did while we were there), having our own car gave us the flexibility of just pulling off the road to go where we wanted to and see what we wanted to see....which is how we roll.
regular_smile.gif

We are planning to park the RV outside London and same in Paris and use public transport. As for costs, this is one time in my life I am saying, "That is why GOD created credit cards" and I am NOT worrying about what DH is going to say when the statement comes in July! I am going to be quite content to dine in small cafes and am looking forward to fish & chips (isn't that the National Dish of England?). I was brought up using "shank's mare" for transport.

Samster said:
More perspective...
regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

We are planning to park the RV outside London and same in Paris and use public transport. As for costs, this is one time in my life I am saying, "That is why GOD created credit cards" and I am NOT worrying about what DH is going to say when the statement comes in July! I am going to be quite content to dine in small cafes and am looking forward to fish & chips (isn't that the National Dish of England?). I was brought up using "shank's mare" for transport.
You will need cash for a lot of smaller places and for the public transport if it's under a certain amount. Check the currency conversion rates and get the local currency. One US dollar today is about 61 cents in the UK, and 69 cents in countries using the Euro. Not good...
Every time you use your credit card in the UK or the continent, you will be hit with additional fees so usually they are best used for larger purchases.
Marks & Spencer (a department store in the UK) does not charge a fee to convert money and their rates are usually pretty good. Banks are notorious for charging the most, along with the airport money changers. You can get cash from ATMs in both places with certain types of network ATM cards, or bank cards that have a PIN.
Fish & chips is best eaten as a "take away" (cod or halibut) imvvho. We only ate fish and chips in Whitby (seaside town on the North Sea). There are lots of great, hardy dishes like pork loin roast with roasted potatoes or lamb shank, which are served in the U.K. We had some of the best fresh vegetables that I've had in a loooooooooooooooooong time there. (Vegetables here in the South are always cooked with lots of salt and some kind of ham or lard). Lots of pubs will serve a curry dish and they are quite good also. We found that there is a farm to table movement over in the UK in some of the smaller towns. Beware of pubs that don't serve home cooked food.

Back