One more time...today's menu is TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT...and in either case just sit down and get out of the way!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
I am just so over these people who NEED to cause some kind of scene, have some kind of special need, and in general just need to be the center of attention. I really thought DH was going to throw a fork at her this morning.
She of course chose to read NONE of her confirmation so prior to arrival had to call to be sure we would take her child (I should have shut it down right there and said NO), and to ask for special tour arrangements (the specifics of which she of course also didn't read and acted so surprised she needed cash to pay when I went over it all AGAIN at check in).
This morning I say hello and get "Do you have a newspaper from TODAY?" (No, our local paper is an evening edition so that's yesterdays...we do have free wifi and a guest computer if there's something you need right this second). Followed by "What's for breakfast?" I HATE this question...sit down and you'll see what's for breakfast. But I answered "French toast and sausage" and she walked away. Bring the plates out..."I don't eat meat, can I have one without meat?" as I'm standing there. I ask DH for a little plate and remove the sausage for her and then thank God I couldn't see it but DH said she made a face as if I'd just murdered her child and just sat pushing the food around...he says "Do you need a plate that didn't have sausage on it? Because if we'd known ahead of time we'd have been happy to make special arrangements for you." So I bring back a second plate that's never beyond tainted with pork. She just sat there pushing everything around.
Beyond pita...she is the whole A. I reprinted her email confirmation and have attached it to her invoice.

Was told by a guest today that our guest info was the most comprehensive he has ever seen! nearly did a double take as most never even take it out of the drawer! Felt like saying that's why we have it.

farmer-with-pitchfork.jpg

Pitchforks work well. Here is a great innkeepers photo.
It makes no sense whatsoever that anyone should be that way, I will never understand it til the day I die. I can only add, thankfully you are not related, or married to a person like that.

I just want some sleep! 2 nights ago had a call at 11 and got up to take them. Last night had calls at 1:10, 1:15, and 3:15 - DH told all calls - we are a B & B, we are closed! but we both were awakened. What is WITH people???

And how far away were you from "Would you like me to lick the pork juices off your plate?" just to see the look on her face.
Ah, if we could only do the things that would shock the guests for the fun of it.

I just want some sleep! 2 nights ago had a call at 11 and got up to take them. Last night had calls at 1:10, 1:15, and 3:15 - DH told all calls - we are a B & B, we are closed! but we both were awakened. What is WITH people???.
gillumhouse said:
I just want some sleep! 2 nights ago had a call at 11 and got up to take them. Last night had calls at 1:10, 1:15, and 3:15 - DH told all calls - we are a B & B, we are closed! but we both were awakened. What is WITH people???
SHUT OFF THE PHONE!! No good comes from calls after 7pm. Took me a while for my husband to convince me, but he was SO right!

You know, I got really mad at DH because I felt like after he was VERY short with her, I had to kind of step in and smooth things out. But now I'm thinking, NO...she certainly didn't feel any degree of discomfort to be a PITA...so why should I care if she didn't like the answer she got.
Thank goodness they are GONE.

I just want some sleep! 2 nights ago had a call at 11 and got up to take them. Last night had calls at 1:10, 1:15, and 3:15 - DH told all calls - we are a B & B, we are closed! but we both were awakened. What is WITH people???.
gillumhouse said:
SHUT OFF THE PHONE!! No good comes from calls after 7pm. Took me a while for my husband to convince me, but he was SO right!
Paradise said:
gillumhouse said:
Not an option. The nearest kid lives 600 miles away - and she is a cop - plus grandson #1 is in the Navy, thankfully just back from Afghanistan with all parts that he left with. I do not want to be unavailable to my family in an emergency - even the sibs are far away.

gillumhouse said:
Unplugging the phone is not an option for us either. We have no cell service so if guests have kids I make sure they have given our number to the responsible person in charge of the kids. It's the ONLY way parents (mostly mothers) are comfortable enough here. They know that if there is an emergency, we will take the call in the middle of the night and come get them.
I hate it, but it's the reality of our location.

gillumhouse said:
Unplugging the phone is not an option for us either. We have no cell service so if guests have kids I make sure they have given our number to the responsible person in charge of the kids. It's the ONLY way parents (mostly mothers) are comfortable enough here. They know that if there is an emergency, we will take the call in the middle of the night and come get them.
I wonder how many emergencies we have all had in the middle of the night?
I had one, prior to the guests arriving. Son in Scotland, very upset they needed to call ASAP. I was sick about this, they planned 4 nights here. The Mum came back from calling all in tears, it was just awful.
Then...he calls again...and again... WHAT THE HECK? This was all within a couple hours, I go to them to see if everything is okay and there is anything I can do to help. I know they will be leaving...I am prepared for that.
Well their son is in a mental hospital and found out they were here so called and called. Basically he disrupted their holidays, made Mum cry, said he would kill himself, etc. So they tried to get the next flight home, agreed they should have never left the country...the next flight home cost more than their original round trip flight, and it was not for 3 days anyway...so they stayed.
I was not comfortable with this at all. Mum had red rimmed eyes and never spoke, would get up from the table in tears and run to her room.
That has been my only PHONE emergency in 8 years at this B&B.

#6 this bud's for you Don.
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]http://bit.ly/mTkMq7[/COLOR]
(I just couldn't help but think of your guest when I saw this image.) The pita's might not realize this is how they appear to us after so much b.s. is thrown our way. :)

gillumhouse said:
I wonder how many emergencies we have all had in the middle of the night?
I had one, prior to the guests arriving. Son in Scotland, very upset they needed to call ASAP. I was sick about this, they planned 4 nights here. The Mum came back from calling all in tears, it was just awful.
Then...he calls again...and again... WHAT THE HECK? This was all within a couple hours, I go to them to see if everything is okay and there is anything I can do to help. I know they will be leaving...I am prepared for that.
Well their son is in a mental hospital and found out they were here so called and called. Basically he disrupted their holidays, made Mum cry, said he would kill himself, etc. So they tried to get the next flight home, agreed they should have never left the country...the next flight home cost more than their original round trip flight, and it was not for 3 days anyway...so they stayed.
I was not comfortable with this at all. Mum had red rimmed eyes and never spoke, would get up from the table in tears and run to her room.
That has been my only PHONE emergency in 8 years at this B&B.
Mine were not "emergencies" but we got a call at 11:55 PM to inform us the middle son had gotten married that afternoon (he called to tell us) and I had a Midnight call from my sister to tell me our Mother had died. I will answer because one never knows...

Back