One of my favorite little friends

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Toad_HLB

Reaction score
We get about four different species of hummingbirds from early April until the first frosty night in October. They are such a marvel to watch.
Hummingbird2.jpg

Where is it that the hummingbirds flock to in droves (or whatever it is hummingbirds travel in)? Is that anywhere near where you are? I saw it on a nature program once and it was a desert-like environment.
We only get a couple of kinds of hummers but they are a joy to watch.

I love hummers! We don't get many here...maybe it's too hot? I do have a feeder out.
We were looking to buy a bed and breakfast in Durango, Colorado and there were soooooo many hummingbirds in the garden in August.

Hey Tim, are you sure that's a real humming bird? Check this out.
[h2]Robo-Hummingbird Takes Flight[/h2] July 04, 2009

DARPA-contractor AeroVironment has developed a tiny drone that mimics the wing movement of a hummingbird, allowing it fly about and hover just like the actual bird.
DARPA-contractor AeroVironment has developed a tiny drone that mimics the wing movement of a hummingbird, allowing it fly about and hover just like the actual bird. The firm says the final version of the winged "nano air vehicle" will look like a real hummingbird too, as well as be controllable from up to a kilometer away -- even inside buildings. See test flight video at Wired.com.

Fantastic photos! Put them on your website to attract "birding" guests!
Riki

I agree...one of my guest's favorite activities is sitting on the porch and watching the hummingbirds.

My guess is that hummingbirds have a good memory. For years we had flowers in planter boxes that made up the edge of our deck, and they would always come for those. This year we ripped the planter boxes out to put up an actual railing. There have been no plants on the deck since Nov last year, but they still buzz up to the edge of the deck and look about, then zoom off.
I've debated about putting a feeder out, but don't want to attract the ants...log homes and ants are a bad combination. :(

I wish I knew the trick to getting them here. We get a couple, they seem to like the cheap plastic feeders over the glass ones. I see some places in town that get dozens at their feeders with no plants that would attract them (a lot of rock gardens around here) I have lots of foliage and nice places to nest and am lucky to get one or two a day. I have sage, lambs ear, petunias...our neighbor even has an entire wall of orange trumpet vine and they still don't show...
We do get lots of canyon swifts, rewing blackbirds and bats that like to clean up the bugs around the pond tho'.

Back