One of those days... a WTF Moment...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My name has the same misconception - "May we speak to Ms. Shivi"... oh noes, its Mr. Shivi!!
Actually we have the same "WTF" moment quite often esp wrt toilet paper rolls. 5 gone in 2 days or 7 out in 3! & the same goes for liquid hand soap sometimes. 250 ML emptied in 1 day!!
The only explanation i can think of is visitors using the toilet paper roll to spread it on the seat before using it. Likewise, i feel some of our guests have been using the liquid hand soap for bathing! [They came out of shower smelling quite "disinfected" LoL]
teeth_smile.gif

I provided a water purifier in the guest's lounge kicthen area . I provide guests with complimentary mineral water bottles for the 1st night & direct them to the filter water for refilling [which in any case is 1000 times safer than mineral water bottles
tounge_smile.gif
]
You may have to consider ignoring the $1 amount. Leave it upto the guests to pay on their own or charge to their bill, although the latter may not go down well with many.
We have an honor bar, too. Generally works well, but sometimes no money & items gone..Always amazes me...
We stayed at a spot once that had little clipboards. Your name went on the top at checkin & then you put "tally marks" next to whatever you took (they had snacks, drinks) & you paid on checkout. Tho, you still need them to be honest about the tally marks...
Paradise said:
We have an honor bar, too. Generally works well, but sometimes no money & items gone..Always amazes me...
We stayed at a spot once that had little clipboards. Your name went on the top at checkin & then you put "tally marks" next to whatever you took (they had snacks, drinks) & you paid on checkout. Tho, you still need them to be honest about the tally marks...
This whole thing is why I think I'd rather just raise the prices $5 and be done with the whole thing. Yes, some guests will take way more than what we budget for, but some guests take nothing at all so I think we end up to the good at the end of the year. Money-wise as well as satisfied-guest-wise.
We stayed at a place that left a bottle of wine out for the guests and a plate of cookies. We had a glass of wine and a cookie. The next night there was nothing. They only do it on arrival. And no new guests arrived on our second night. So, we happily looked forward to sitting on the deck with a glass of wine and...nothing. Too far to go to town to buy a bottle of wine, so there we were. We had a coke instead. Not quite the same thing.
I am with you on this one. I don't want to nickel and dime people for a bottle of water or soda, candy, cookies etc. We charged enough to cover our costs and provided it all for free. Very few abused it.
Everyone does things their own way but for me it's just simpler to put the water in the room and have done with it. It's always appreciated and almost always used. It's back down to that personal thing again ... when I go to bed there are three things I NEED to know are there - water, tissues and someway for me to know what time it is, so those are three things that my guests get too.
Worrying about who has paid, who probably intends to pay at the of the visit and should therefore have the water replaced, who didn't pay .... and is it because they are cheap, forgot or simply didn't have enough respect to bother ???? That's one extra layer of angst I choose not to deal with.
It's also swings and roundabouts. I don't put out cookies etc in the evening. It's just one more thing that has to get done, involves time, possible waste and as AI said, disappointment if it's NOT there, but I do have plenty of other "stuff" that guests can help themselves to.
I guess the bottom line is that my time has become one of my most valuable "assets" so I pick and choose my battles.
UKMaineiac said:
I guess the bottom line is that my time has become one of my most valuable "assets" so I pick and choose my battles.
thumbs_up.gif

My name has the same misconception - "May we speak to Ms. Shivi"... oh noes, its Mr. Shivi!!
Actually we have the same "WTF" moment quite often esp wrt toilet paper rolls. 5 gone in 2 days or 7 out in 3! & the same goes for liquid hand soap sometimes. 250 ML emptied in 1 day!!
The only explanation i can think of is visitors using the toilet paper roll to spread it on the seat before using it. Likewise, i feel some of our guests have been using the liquid hand soap for bathing! [They came out of shower smelling quite "disinfected" LoL]
teeth_smile.gif

I provided a water purifier in the guest's lounge kicthen area . I provide guests with complimentary mineral water bottles for the 1st night & direct them to the filter water for refilling [which in any case is 1000 times safer than mineral water bottles
tounge_smile.gif
]
You may have to consider ignoring the $1 amount. Leave it upto the guests to pay on their own or charge to their bill, although the latter may not go down well with many.
Paradise said:
This whole thing is why I think I'd rather just raise the prices $5 and be done with the whole thing. Yes, some guests will take way more than what we budget for, but some guests take nothing at all so I think we end up to the good at the end of the year. Money-wise as well as satisfied-guest-wise.
We stayed at a place that left a bottle of wine out for the guests and a plate of cookies. We had a glass of wine and a cookie. The next night there was nothing. They only do it on arrival. And no new guests arrived on our second night. So, we happily looked forward to sitting on the deck with a glass of wine and...nothing. Too far to go to town to buy a bottle of wine, so there we were. We had a coke instead. Not quite the same thing.
I am with you on this one. I don't want to nickel and dime people for a bottle of water or soda, candy, cookies etc. We charged enough to cover our costs and provided it all for free. Very few abused it.
Everyone does things their own way but for me it's just simpler to put the water in the room and have done with it. It's always appreciated and almost always used. It's back down to that personal thing again ... when I go to bed there are three things I NEED to know are there - water, tissues and someway for me to know what time it is, so those are three things that my guests get too.
Worrying about who has paid, who probably intends to pay at the of the visit and should therefore have the water replaced, who didn't pay .... and is it because they are cheap, forgot or simply didn't have enough respect to bother ???? That's one extra layer of angst I choose not to deal with.
It's also swings and roundabouts. I don't put out cookies etc in the evening. It's just one more thing that has to get done, involves time, possible waste and as AI said, disappointment if it's NOT there, but I do have plenty of other "stuff" that guests can help themselves to.
And I will say that UK is not kidding about the tissues and the time...BOTH sides of the bed have tissues and clocks. And the second bed in the room? Also has a clock & tissues. Did not notice a clock in the loo, but definitely more tissues!

teeth_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
]
Paradise said:
And I will say that UK is not kidding about the tissues and the time...BOTH sides of the bed have tissues and clocks. And the second bed in the room? Also has a clock & tissues. Did not notice a clock in the loo, but definitely more tissues!
People seem to INSIST on moving a box of tissues into the loo so I said "what the heck" and just put them there too. A clock? Not going to happen. That right there should be "me" time.

teeth_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
]
Paradise said:
Do you really need to time that? A clock in the loo... sh__ faster, dammit, it's taken you all of 3 minutes already. Double time on that!

teeth_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
]
Paradise said:
Do you really need to time that? A clock in the loo... sh__ faster, dammit, it's taken you all of 3 minutes already. Double time on that!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joking. Only joking. It's because UK has thought of everything.

I will be honest here, I don't like tissues (kleenex) in the room as the debris field...dust on everything, so here WE HAVE THEM IN THE BATHROOM ONLY and they can move them where they want. If it is a funeral or graduation I have a couple boxes per room, one on a dresser, I just don't like them being DECOR in a room, either. I know I am weird. I don't have any in my own bedroom for that reason.

I will be honest here, I don't like tissues (kleenex) in the room as the debris field...dust on everything, so here WE HAVE THEM IN THE BATHROOM ONLY and they can move them where they want. If it is a funeral or graduation I have a couple boxes per room, one on a dresser, I just don't like them being DECOR in a room, either. I know I am weird. I don't have any in my own bedroom for that reason..
I remove them for the photos and yes, what a mess, but there they are. I need tissues and I hate climbing into bed somewhere, realizing there aren't any around and then having to go find them. In hotels, I will take the tissue box out of the dispenser on the wall in the bathroom and put it next to the bed.
Some of the boxes are absolutely hideous but I don't want to get into 'tissue cozies' so I buy what the store has. The only person who ever complained about a lack of tissues was muirford. Ack! At least it was a friend! Totally forgot to restock the room after we closed for our vacation.
But, yeah, nothing like tissue dust all over the place. Tissue dust and skin flakes. Cosmic compost.

I will be honest here, I don't like tissues (kleenex) in the room as the debris field...dust on everything, so here WE HAVE THEM IN THE BATHROOM ONLY and they can move them where they want. If it is a funeral or graduation I have a couple boxes per room, one on a dresser, I just don't like them being DECOR in a room, either. I know I am weird. I don't have any in my own bedroom for that reason..
I remove them for the photos and yes, what a mess, but there they are. I need tissues and I hate climbing into bed somewhere, realizing there aren't any around and then having to go find them. In hotels, I will take the tissue box out of the dispenser on the wall in the bathroom and put it next to the bed.
Some of the boxes are absolutely hideous but I don't want to get into 'tissue cozies' so I buy what the store has. The only person who ever complained about a lack of tissues was muirford. Ack! At least it was a friend! Totally forgot to restock the room after we closed for our vacation.
But, yeah, nothing like tissue dust all over the place. Tissue dust and skin flakes. Cosmic compost.
Alibi Ike said:
The only person who ever complained about a lack of tissues was muirford. Ack! At least it was a friend! Totally forgot to restock the room after we closed for our vacation.
OMG I sound like an ogre! I just asked for some, didn't I?

Alibi Ike said:
The only person who ever complained about a lack of tissues was muirford. Ack! At least it was a friend! Totally forgot to restock the room after we closed for our vacation.
muirford said:
Alibi Ike said:
You didn't even ask, you just mentioned you couldn't find them. Not an ogre at all, you're a sweetheart.

Years ago I was going to visit a friend. Her then young daughter was with her as she shopped. My friend put a box of tissues into the grocery basket. Her daughter saw it and immediately said, "Aunt Kathy's coming!" A good brand of tissues will be found in each of my rooms and in each bathroom also.
Clocks and a basket of fruit are in each room. I will have to think about adding the bottles of water.......

surprised none has thought ...... could be unrolling the TP, folding to take home with them.
It's a possibility

Years ago I was going to visit a friend. Her then young daughter was with her as she shopped. My friend put a box of tissues into the grocery basket. Her daughter saw it and immediately said, "Aunt Kathy's coming!" A good brand of tissues will be found in each of my rooms and in each bathroom also.
Clocks and a basket of fruit are in each room. I will have to think about adding the bottles of water........
Cost / personal preference issue. Fruit goes bad, bottled water doesn't. Could live without fruit in the room (although there is no doubt I would love to have it available) but would not be happy without water in the room.

Clocks and a basket of fruit are in each room. I will have to think about adding the bottles of water........
Cost / personal preference issue. Fruit goes bad, bottled water doesn't. Could live without fruit in the room (although there is no doubt I would love to have it available) but would not be happy without water in the room.
UKMaineiac said:
I never thought about the water because we have good water here and I have glasses (OK, indi wrapped plastic) in the bathrooms so water is available at all times. As for the fruit, we always have apples and bananas on hand - I just get "new pretty" bananas before an arrival and get fancy apples instead of the "bagged" for the baskets. DH is always eating apples & bananas so it is something we consider as just being there - no waste. If we get a call when I cannot get to the store, we still have the fruit on hand usually - perhaps not as pretty as usual.

UKMaineiac said:
I never thought about the water because we have good water here and I have glasses (OK, indi wrapped plastic) in the bathrooms so water is available at all times. As for the fruit, we always have apples and bananas on hand - I just get "new pretty" bananas before an arrival and get fancy apples instead of the "bagged" for the baskets. DH is always eating apples & bananas so it is something we consider as just being there - no waste. If we get a call when I cannot get to the store, we still have the fruit on hand usually - perhaps not as pretty as usual.
Rest assure, our tap water is ultimately drinkable and it isn't chlorinated, it's ozonated. Every room has two water glasses (acrylic) and two wine glasses along with a bottle opener. We also offer filtered water on the door of the refrigerator as well as ice. We also have a sleeve for wine, if needed. The bottled water is a personal prefernce that many guests have and it's been on the honour system for at least a year. For the most part people are honourable nad it works well. Once or twice someone asked if they could use it and replace the bottles and that's fine too. But not everyone wants it or needs it and so there are weeks when the same bottles get dusted and there are weeks when the guests gladly pay for it and take it.
I don't really think that I can fold it into the price at the moment. And I don't want to stock too many items in the room, for one thing they are heavy, for another, I'm in the inner city, they can go around the corner and choose from 50 different brands.
Then we get into the "what do you stock" question. Do I put Coke or Pepsi products or maybe a local brand? Do I put full sugar or diet? Do I put beer? Juice? It can be endless.
There is a four day period where we do this, the Grand Prix. But our prices are almost double and we put in a treat for the guests each day. The water is complimentary and we put out some other items too. But as an everyday expense, my prices won't cover it.

UKMaineiac said:
Rest assure, our tap water is ultimately drinkable and it isn't chlorinated, it's ozonated. Every room has two water glasses (acrylic) and two wine glasses along with a bottle opener. We also offer filtered water on the door of the refrigerator as well as ice. We also have a sleeve for wine, if needed. The bottled water is a personal prefernce that many guests have and it's been on the honour system for at least a year. For the most part people are honourable nad it works well. Once or twice someone asked if they could use it and replace the bottles and that's fine too. But not everyone wants it or needs it and so there are weeks when the same bottles get dusted and there are weeks when the guests gladly pay for it and take it.
I don't really think that I can fold it into the price at the moment. And I don't want to stock too many items in the room, for one thing they are heavy, for another, I'm in the inner city, they can go around the corner and choose from 50 different brands.
Then we get into the "what do you stock" question. Do I put Coke or Pepsi products or maybe a local brand? Do I put full sugar or diet? Do I put beer? Juice? It can be endless.
There is a four day period where we do this, the Grand Prix. But our prices are almost double and we put in a treat for the guests each day. The water is complimentary and we put out some other items too. But as an everyday expense, my prices won't cover it.
During the summer we get a run of Southerners here who want Coke & diet Coke for breakfast. No coffee. As I start to notice the NC, SC, GA, AL, TN states on the reg forms we have each on hand. NOT in the guest fridge, but in our own fridge so I can just grab one when they ask.

UKMaineiac said:
During the summer we get a run of Southerners here who want Coke & diet Coke for breakfast. No coffee. As I start to notice the NC, SC, GA, AL, TN states on the reg forms we have each on hand. NOT in the guest fridge, but in our own fridge so I can just grab one when they ask.
Not only coke, but dr pepper...and iced tea.

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!

See you all are so different to us in demographics, we have 75% southern guests and I can count on one hand in 8 years the number of them who wanted a soda for breakfast AND WE HAVE THEM right in the dining room to help yourself! We had one DR Pepper gal who had it every morning and all day and she was an RN from VA Beach (so not officially a southerner, but a transplant by general description)
wink_smile.gif

UKMaineiac said:
Mtatoc said:
We've never been asked for Dr Pepper. Interesting.

See you all are so different to us in demographics, we have 75% southern guests and I can count on one hand in 8 years the number of them who wanted a soda for breakfast AND WE HAVE THEM right in the dining room to help yourself! We had one DR Pepper gal who had it every morning and all day and she was an RN from VA Beach (so not officially a southerner, but a transplant by general description)
wink_smile.gif
Maybe they do it to us because they don't see any around and want to see what we'll do.
Me, I don't bat an eye at any food requests anymore!

Back