One of those days... a WTF Moment...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if you ask what people drink around here I would say more Mountain Dew.

Years ago I was going to visit a friend. Her then young daughter was with her as she shopped. My friend put a box of tissues into the grocery basket. Her daughter saw it and immediately said, "Aunt Kathy's coming!" A good brand of tissues will be found in each of my rooms and in each bathroom also.
Clocks and a basket of fruit are in each room. I will have to think about adding the bottles of water........
Cost / personal preference issue. Fruit goes bad, bottled water doesn't. Could live without fruit in the room (although there is no doubt I would love to have it available) but would not be happy without water in the room.
UKMaineiac said:
Cost / personal preference issue. Fruit goes bad, bottled water doesn't. Could live without fruit in the room (although there is no doubt I would love to have it available) but would not be happy without water in the room.
I never thought about the water because we have good water here and I have glasses (OK, indi wrapped plastic) in the bathrooms so water is available at all times. As for the fruit, we always have apples and bananas on hand - I just get "new pretty" bananas before an arrival and get fancy apples instead of the "bagged" for the baskets. DH is always eating apples & bananas so it is something we consider as just being there - no waste. If we get a call when I cannot get to the store, we still have the fruit on hand usually - perhaps not as pretty as usual.
Rest assure, our tap water is ultimately drinkable and it isn't chlorinated, it's ozonated. Every room has two water glasses (acrylic) and two wine glasses along with a bottle opener. We also offer filtered water on the door of the refrigerator as well as ice. We also have a sleeve for wine, if needed. The bottled water is a personal prefernce that many guests have and it's been on the honour system for at least a year. For the most part people are honourable nad it works well. Once or twice someone asked if they could use it and replace the bottles and that's fine too. But not everyone wants it or needs it and so there are weeks when the same bottles get dusted and there are weeks when the guests gladly pay for it and take it.
I don't really think that I can fold it into the price at the moment. And I don't want to stock too many items in the room, for one thing they are heavy, for another, I'm in the inner city, they can go around the corner and choose from 50 different brands.
Then we get into the "what do you stock" question. Do I put Coke or Pepsi products or maybe a local brand? Do I put full sugar or diet? Do I put beer? Juice? It can be endless.
There is a four day period where we do this, the Grand Prix. But our prices are almost double and we put in a treat for the guests each day. The water is complimentary and we put out some other items too. But as an everyday expense, my prices won't cover it.
During the summer we get a run of Southerners here who want Coke & diet Coke for breakfast. No coffee. As I start to notice the NC, SC, GA, AL, TN states on the reg forms we have each on hand. NOT in the guest fridge, but in our own fridge so I can just grab one when they ask.
Not only coke, but dr pepper...and iced tea.
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
We say it is compulsary you have to have Yorkshire Tea! But in reality we do coffee, decaf coffee, Yorkshire tea, earl grey, and about 10 other types of tea, Local water, orange juice, apple juice, milk and decaf tea. Water is always popular on a sunday morning!

Years ago I was going to visit a friend. Her then young daughter was with her as she shopped. My friend put a box of tissues into the grocery basket. Her daughter saw it and immediately said, "Aunt Kathy's coming!" A good brand of tissues will be found in each of my rooms and in each bathroom also.
Clocks and a basket of fruit are in each room. I will have to think about adding the bottles of water........
UKMaineiac said:
I never thought about the water because we have good water here and I have glasses (OK, indi wrapped plastic) in the bathrooms so water is available at all times. As for the fruit, we always have apples and bananas on hand - I just get "new pretty" bananas before an arrival and get fancy apples instead of the "bagged" for the baskets. DH is always eating apples & bananas so it is something we consider as just being there - no waste. If we get a call when I cannot get to the store, we still have the fruit on hand usually - perhaps not as pretty as usual.
Rest assure, our tap water is ultimately drinkable and it isn't chlorinated, it's ozonated. Every room has two water glasses (acrylic) and two wine glasses along with a bottle opener. We also offer filtered water on the door of the refrigerator as well as ice. We also have a sleeve for wine, if needed. The bottled water is a personal prefernce that many guests have and it's been on the honour system for at least a year. For the most part people are honourable nad it works well. Once or twice someone asked if they could use it and replace the bottles and that's fine too. But not everyone wants it or needs it and so there are weeks when the same bottles get dusted and there are weeks when the guests gladly pay for it and take it.
I don't really think that I can fold it into the price at the moment. And I don't want to stock too many items in the room, for one thing they are heavy, for another, I'm in the inner city, they can go around the corner and choose from 50 different brands.
Then we get into the "what do you stock" question. Do I put Coke or Pepsi products or maybe a local brand? Do I put full sugar or diet? Do I put beer? Juice? It can be endless.
There is a four day period where we do this, the Grand Prix. But our prices are almost double and we put in a treat for the guests each day. The water is complimentary and we put out some other items too. But as an everyday expense, my prices won't cover it.
During the summer we get a run of Southerners here who want Coke & diet Coke for breakfast. No coffee. As I start to notice the NC, SC, GA, AL, TN states on the reg forms we have each on hand. NOT in the guest fridge, but in our own fridge so I can just grab one when they ask.
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
We say it is compulsary you have to have Yorkshire Tea! But in reality we do coffee, decaf coffee, Yorkshire tea, earl grey, and about 10 other types of tea, Local water, orange juice, apple juice, milk and decaf tea. Water is always popular on a sunday morning!
My son sent me some Yorkshire tea - I gave it to our City Finance Officer. Her Dad was a policeman and Herriot was their vet when she was growing up.

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
My son sent me some Yorkshire tea - I gave it to our City Finance Officer. Her Dad was a policeman and Herriot was their vet when she was growing up.
the Herriot museum is about 30 mins drive from me where the author and vet himself lived. Yorkshire Tea is made in my town about 10 mins drive from my place. I always think its cool that it is based on real life so any people just think it is a book but he was an actual person and a vet.

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
the Herriot museum is about 30 mins drive from me where the author and vet himself lived. Yorkshire Tea is made in my town about 10 mins drive from my place. I always think its cool that it is based on real life so any people just think it is a book but he was an actual person and a vet.
I used to love that old lady who sent them baskets from Fortnum's. Do you know- was she a real person or a character the TV show invented?

See you all are so different to us in demographics, we have 75% southern guests and I can count on one hand in 8 years the number of them who wanted a soda for breakfast AND WE HAVE THEM right in the dining room to help yourself! We had one DR Pepper gal who had it every morning and all day and she was an RN from VA Beach (so not officially a southerner, but a transplant by general description)
wink_smile.gif
Soda for breakfast? I don't want to be judgemental but... gross! I've seen it once or twice and I still can't believe it, each time I see it. I can't even drink regular apple juice in the morning, I find it too sweet... I have to dilute it with water.

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
For breakfast....
No Yorkshire tea. We have English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Earl Grey, Orange Pekoe (Canadian regular tea) and a few others, along with tisane (herbal) and I think there are 24 different teas for guests. We have coffee (strong,) flavoured and decaf available. And hot chocolate, which is interestingly enough a big seller around here. Ice water, orange juice (not from concentrate), 1% milk (ultra pure filtered, usually) and 10% cream. Frome time to time we have apple juice, when it's in season, since it's fresh apple cider.
Usually coffee is the big seller. We often have to make a second pot. We use about 2 ounces (56 grams) of coffee to make 12 cups and it's always a mix with a good dark French roast (local favourite).
But in the rooms, that's entirely different. I don't know....
Here's a few things that we find locally. I don't know if I would stock them in the room... since they are obscure choices... Nectar (sort of like vanilla cream soda), Black Cherry Soda, Spruce Beer (yup, tastes just like a Christmas tree) and RC Cola. But I wouldn't stock them in the rooms... the guests think it's odd enough all the meat we eat around here.

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
For breakfast....
No Yorkshire tea. We have English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Earl Grey, Orange Pekoe (Canadian regular tea) and a few others, along with tisane (herbal) and I think there are 24 different teas for guests. We have coffee (strong,) flavoured and decaf available. And hot chocolate, which is interestingly enough a big seller around here. Ice water, orange juice (not from concentrate), 1% milk (ultra pure filtered, usually) and 10% cream. Frome time to time we have apple juice, when it's in season, since it's fresh apple cider.
Usually coffee is the big seller. We often have to make a second pot. We use about 2 ounces (56 grams) of coffee to make 12 cups and it's always a mix with a good dark French roast (local favourite).
Here's a few things that we find locally. I don't know if I would stock them in the room... since they are obscure choices... Nectar (sort of like vanilla cream soda), Black Cherry Soda, Spruce Beer (yup, tastes just like a Christmas tree) and RC Cola. But I wouldn't stock them in the rooms... the guests think it's odd enough all the meat we eat around here.
24 different teas? We have that in green coffee beans (diferent countries that I roast). We have over 100 varieties of tea - impresses the heck out of them until they are standing in front of the tea tasting hutch. Then it is OMG!!!!

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
For breakfast....
24 different teas? We have that in green coffee beans (diferent countries that I roast). We have over 100 varieties of tea - impresses the heck out of them until they are standing in front of the tea tasting hutch. Then it is OMG!!!!
Yeah, sometimes it just overwhelms them at 24. It's funny how certain teas move during certain months. Chamomile is definitely a big seller in the winter.

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
For breakfast....
Yeah, sometimes it just overwhelms them at 24. It's funny how certain teas move during certain months. Chamomile is definitely a big seller in the winter.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
And yet, even tho we have around 20 teas, someone invariably asks, 'I don't see it in here, do you have...' (fill in the blank). Yes, the camomile went very well this year.
Hot cocoa is another biggie. I have it for me as I don't drink tea or coffee. Kids like Quik so I have a container of that. I used to have to go get it out and spouse would tell the kids, 'Wow, she must like you, she's gone to get HER chocolate for you!' Now I find Quik is dreck unless it's cold. All the adults I've talked to don't like the new formula.

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
For breakfast....
Eric Arthur Blair said:
And yet, even tho we have around 20 teas, someone invariably asks, 'I don't see it in here, do you have...' (fill in the blank). Yes, the camomile went very well this year.
Hot cocoa is another biggie. I have it for me as I don't drink tea or coffee. Kids like Quik so I have a container of that. I used to have to go get it out and spouse would tell the kids, 'Wow, she must like you, she's gone to get HER chocolate for you!' Now I find Quik is dreck unless it's cold. All the adults I've talked to don't like the new formula.
Haven't had anyone really ask me for a tea that wasn't there. I stock a few black teas, green teas and even a white tea or two.
Well, the kids aren't going to like me... no NesQuik, no Hershey's syrup. I don't like chocolate, so I don't even think about things like that. Usually the kids go for the hot chocolate (we have plain and a few fancy packets) which I have to buy in the winter, because they aren't stocked all year round. Personally, the last time I had Quik, they still had Cherry flavour, the cover was metal and it was still called Nestle's Quik.
100245597_2bb78a7c47.jpg

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
For breakfast....
forgot we have hot chocolate as well but we only make when asked. We used to have it in the rooms but a lot of the time they half ripped the packet and left it which makes no sence and made it a pain to wash up the cups so now we have a little sign saying if you want fresh milk or hot chocolate please ask.

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
For breakfast....
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Haven't had anyone really ask me for a tea that wasn't there. I stock a few black teas, green teas and even a white tea or two.
Well, the kids aren't going to like me... no NesQuik, no Hershey's syrup. I don't like chocolate, so I don't even think about things like that. Usually the kids go for the hot chocolate (we have plain and a few fancy packets) which I have to buy in the winter, because they aren't stocked all year round. Personally, the last time I had Quik, they still had Cherry flavour, the cover was metal and it was still called Nestle's Quik.
100245597_2bb78a7c47.jpg

Ewwww. I collect tins and I have one, lone chocolate Quik tin. It wasn't until it was too late that I realized they were going to plastic. I found the metal-topped one at the local general store. It was probably a million years old.

UKMaineiac said:
Alibi Ike said:
During the summer we get a run of Southerners here who want Coke & diet Coke for breakfast.
Also, Richard Dreyfuss. With coffee. Thank goodness I had full-strength HFCS Coke in cans leftover from some party.

See you all are so different to us in demographics, we have 75% southern guests and I can count on one hand in 8 years the number of them who wanted a soda for breakfast AND WE HAVE THEM right in the dining room to help yourself! We had one DR Pepper gal who had it every morning and all day and she was an RN from VA Beach (so not officially a southerner, but a transplant by general description)
wink_smile.gif
Soda for breakfast? I don't want to be judgemental but... gross! I've seen it once or twice and I still can't believe it, each time I see it. I can't even drink regular apple juice in the morning, I find it too sweet... I have to dilute it with water.
Excellent hangover cure, a nice cold fizzy Coke. Not that I'd know...
wink_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Excellent hangover cure, a nice cold fizzy Coke. Not that I'd know...
wink_smile.gif

cheers.gif

UKMaineiac said:
Dr Pepper and SWEET Tea!
haha...I drank NO COFFEE for the week that I was in the UK in April. It was Yorkshire Tea all the way!
regular_smile.gif

Back