One of those days... a WTF Moment...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
An arrival, yesterday, asked about Yves. Which is pronounced eve, but is a very common male French name. Well, they wanted to know if Yves is my wife.... no, he's male. Ugh!
Yesterday, I went into a guests room. In a day they had gone through two extra rolls of toilet paper. Odd, but maybe. Didn't steal them, the empty rolls were in the trash, so I replaced them. Today, that guest checks out and they went through three more rolls. Again, the empty rolls are in the trash. (And yes, I have plenty of facial tissue in the room, the two boxes are still there, though one is empty.) So, I start to wonder if they have pica and are eating my paper. Then I look at my hand soap dispenser... it's almost empty. And all I can think is... did this person actually steal handsoap? Really? That's plain odd. Five rolls of TP in 2 days and a full dispenser full of liquid hand soap.
Incidentally, in the last two days I have also had a number of guests who haven't paid for their water in the rooms that is on the honour system. It clearly has a sign that says 2 for $1. Which frankly is damn cheap. It says to leave the money there. (If anyone wants the template, I can send it to them.) And no money. So, I don't refill it. Hey, you don't pay, you don't expect me to put more, do you? But how do you tell the guest that they are being less than honourable? (Or maybe I should change the sign to say 2 for $1 if you leave the money here, 2 for $5 if we have to put it on your bill.)

My name has the same misconception - "May we speak to Ms. Shivi"... oh noes, its Mr. Shivi!!
Actually we have the same "WTF" moment quite often esp wrt toilet paper rolls. 5 gone in 2 days or 7 out in 3! & the same goes for liquid hand soap sometimes. 250 ML emptied in 1 day!!
The only explanation i can think of is visitors using the toilet paper roll to spread it on the seat before using it. Likewise, i feel some of our guests have been using the liquid hand soap for bathing! [They came out of shower smelling quite "disinfected" LoL]
teeth_smile.gif

I provided a water purifier in the guest's lounge kicthen area . I provide guests with complimentary mineral water bottles for the 1st night & direct them to the filter water for refilling [which in any case is 1000 times safer than mineral water bottles
tounge_smile.gif
]
You may have to consider ignoring the $1 amount. Leave it upto the guests to pay on their own or charge to their bill, although the latter may not go down well with many

I think it might be better to do one of 2 things...raise the price of the room $5 to cover the water or state on the sign that the cost (whatever you select it to be) will be added to the bill should the guests choose to drink the water. (Rather than having people do this and then wondering how to handle it.) Obviously, you could also elect to not have bottled water in the rooms.
The hotel we stayed at had a sign over the fridge that said we were welcome to take the bottled water and $4 would be added to our bill and the bottled water would be replaced. As we had just bought a case of water for $3 we declined.
We have an Yves in our family. We got calls for him regularly and the automated voice systems all pronounced it why-vees. So I would call back and say I received a call for whyvees and there was no one here by that name. Of course, they would be looking for 'whyvees' on their name list and not have a clue what I was talking about.

I'll tell you what, just got back from Costco and TP and Paper Towels have gone up tremendously, even in the past few months. But you wouldn't think they'd be taking it if you see the empty rolls...maybe OCD and just lots of handwashing?
As for the water, we replaced individual bottles in rooms with a dispenser that does hot and cold in the dining room. Less waste and far less expense. We also put out those little drink mix packets that are meant to go with a 16 oz water bottle...they are going like hotcakes but our Crystal Springs rep has them on sale 2 for 1 for a box of 20 packets so it's still a great deal and the guests love it.

I'll tell you what, just got back from Costco and TP and Paper Towels have gone up tremendously, even in the past few months. But you wouldn't think they'd be taking it if you see the empty rolls...maybe OCD and just lots of handwashing?
As for the water, we replaced individual bottles in rooms with a dispenser that does hot and cold in the dining room. Less waste and far less expense. We also put out those little drink mix packets that are meant to go with a 16 oz water bottle...they are going like hotcakes but our Crystal Springs rep has them on sale 2 for 1 for a box of 20 packets so it's still a great deal and the guests love it..
That's a nice option to offer. I'm gonna have to haul out the catalog and see if the folks who do our coffee do those packs!

I think it might be better to do one of 2 things...raise the price of the room $5 to cover the water or state on the sign that the cost (whatever you select it to be) will be added to the bill should the guests choose to drink the water. (Rather than having people do this and then wondering how to handle it.) Obviously, you could also elect to not have bottled water in the rooms.
The hotel we stayed at had a sign over the fridge that said we were welcome to take the bottled water and $4 would be added to our bill and the bottled water would be replaced. As we had just bought a case of water for $3 we declined.
We have an Yves in our family. We got calls for him regularly and the automated voice systems all pronounced it why-vees. So I would call back and say I received a call for whyvees and there was no one here by that name. Of course, they would be looking for 'whyvees' on their name list and not have a clue what I was talking about..
In the US they often will call him Eye-ves.
We have one company that calls all the time that asks for Mr. or Mrs. X (asking for him by last name) and I always answer "Mr. X. isn't in. But by that definition, I'm Mrs. X. So, what do you want to try to sell me today." Sometimes they just hang up because they just don't know what to say. What are their chances of selling anything after calling me Mrs.

As for the water, we replaced individual bottles in rooms with a dispenser that does hot and cold in the dining room. Less waste and far less expense. We also put out those little drink mix packets that are meant to go with a 16 oz water bottle...they are going like hotcakes but our Crystal Springs rep has them on sale 2 for 1 for a box of 20 packets so it's still a great deal and the guests love it..
Why would you use TP to dry. It breaks into shreds when you get it wet, it's part of the design. The brand that I buy at Costco is recycled. I bought several packs when it was on sale. When I went yesterday the same package that was equivalent to 110 rolls now is equivalent to 103 rolls. Price didn't go down at all. I just can't fathom what someone would do or use 5 rolls in 2 days.
If someone takes a roll and we don't see the corresponding empty in the bathroom, we don't refill. It's usually a parent of a college age kid who's TP is horrible and the parent wants to take a roll over. By not refilling they seem to get the message and don't do it again. But never had this before.
Incidentally, I keep the empty rolls to store cables. See goo.gl/AoarK to better understand. Keeps them nice and neat and easy to find if a guest asks me for a specific cable.

a friend of mine had the same problem so she has a mini fridge and the chamber maids have to check them every day what has been taken. No one ever gets right what they have taken. I would put up the room price and make it compliamentary if they don't take everything its a bonus. Stayed somewhere in York where they did a can of coke, can of lemondade, mini bottle of white wine, and a bottle of water all included in the room price thought it was a nice touch but I know i was paying for it really. We used to have an honesty fridge but no one ever paid for anything so got rid of it.

a friend of mine had the same problem so she has a mini fridge and the chamber maids have to check them every day what has been taken. No one ever gets right what they have taken. I would put up the room price and make it compliamentary if they don't take everything its a bonus. Stayed somewhere in York where they did a can of coke, can of lemondade, mini bottle of white wine, and a bottle of water all included in the room price thought it was a nice touch but I know i was paying for it really. We used to have an honesty fridge but no one ever paid for anything so got rid of it..
For the last year it has been working well. Most people are honest and some leave $1 a bottle, which is a bonus. Very few have not paid. When we don't see money there, we just don't refill. Total loss if 4 bottles... $2, nothing major. I just wonder what possesses someone to not put down the money, it's so small.
Last year we had a guest ask if they could simply replace the bottles with ones they bought at the store. Sure. Comes back the next day and gave me the money, they were 89c each at the store, instead of my 2 for $1.

a friend of mine had the same problem so she has a mini fridge and the chamber maids have to check them every day what has been taken. No one ever gets right what they have taken. I would put up the room price and make it compliamentary if they don't take everything its a bonus. Stayed somewhere in York where they did a can of coke, can of lemondade, mini bottle of white wine, and a bottle of water all included in the room price thought it was a nice touch but I know i was paying for it really. We used to have an honesty fridge but no one ever paid for anything so got rid of it..
For the last year it has been working well. Most people are honest and some leave $1 a bottle, which is a bonus. Very few have not paid. When we don't see money there, we just don't refill. Total loss if 4 bottles... $2, nothing major. I just wonder what possesses someone to not put down the money, it's so small.
Last year we had a guest ask if they could simply replace the bottles with ones they bought at the store. Sure. Comes back the next day and gave me the money, they were 89c each at the store, instead of my 2 for $1.
Most of the time it works out like that...it's the ones who take everything (all the tea bags, all the raw sugar packets, all the granola bars, all the hot cocoa) that make us mad. Over the course of a year it's not even a blip and it's more something to do with their own unmet needs and hoarding than it has to do with anything we could ever get a handle on so I just let it go. But I won't completely refill anything until I figure the hoarder is gone.
Seashanty had a great story about helping a guest with her luggage. The woman's bag popped open and out fell rolls and rolls of tp. It's one of those things that really needs to show up in a book someday.

a guest of mine who stays here every week or every other week uses two rolls of toliet paper every so often. i determined that she was using it to stuff her bra. and i know that sounds crazy. but i'm 90% sure.
it takes all kind.

a guest of mine who stays here every week or every other week uses two rolls of toliet paper every so often. i determined that she was using it to stuff her bra. and i know that sounds crazy. but i'm 90% sure.
it takes all kind..
four at four forty four said:
it takes all kind.
Was her name Laverne or was it Shirley?
tounge_smile.gif

My name has the same misconception - "May we speak to Ms. Shivi"... oh noes, its Mr. Shivi!!
Actually we have the same "WTF" moment quite often esp wrt toilet paper rolls. 5 gone in 2 days or 7 out in 3! & the same goes for liquid hand soap sometimes. 250 ML emptied in 1 day!!
The only explanation i can think of is visitors using the toilet paper roll to spread it on the seat before using it. Likewise, i feel some of our guests have been using the liquid hand soap for bathing! [They came out of shower smelling quite "disinfected" LoL]
teeth_smile.gif

I provided a water purifier in the guest's lounge kicthen area . I provide guests with complimentary mineral water bottles for the 1st night & direct them to the filter water for refilling [which in any case is 1000 times safer than mineral water bottles
tounge_smile.gif
]
You may have to consider ignoring the $1 amount. Leave it upto the guests to pay on their own or charge to their bill, although the latter may not go down well with many.
We have an honor bar, too. Generally works well, but sometimes no money & items gone..Always amazes me...
We stayed at a spot once that had little clipboards. Your name went on the top at checkin & then you put "tally marks" next to whatever you took (they had snacks, drinks) & you paid on checkout. Tho, you still need them to be honest about the tally marks...

Just had the grouchiest people on earth check in. I shall hope for the "stepford effect" and see them transformed into new guests by morning!

teeth_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
]
You may have to consider ignoring the $1 amount. Leave it upto the guests to pay on their own or charge to their bill, although the latter may not go down well with many.
We have an honor bar, too. Generally works well, but sometimes no money & items gone..Always amazes me...
We stayed at a spot once that had little clipboards. Your name went on the top at checkin & then you put "tally marks" next to whatever you took (they had snacks, drinks) & you paid on checkout. Tho, you still need them to be honest about the tally marks...
Paradise said:
This whole thing is why I think I'd rather just raise the prices $5 and be done with the whole thing. Yes, some guests will take way more than what we budget for, but some guests take nothing at all so I think we end up to the good at the end of the year. Money-wise as well as satisfied-guest-wise.
We stayed at a place that left a bottle of wine out for the guests and a plate of cookies. We had a glass of wine and a cookie. The next night there was nothing. They only do it on arrival. And no new guests arrived on our second night. So, we happily looked forward to sitting on the deck with a glass of wine and...nothing. Too far to go to town to buy a bottle of wine, so there we were. We had a coke instead. Not quite the same thing.

That's a nice option to offer. I'm gonna have to haul out the catalog and see if the folks who do our coffee do those packs!
We have the half and half lemonade and iced tea, from Arnold Palmer. It is good! Guests love it. They probably have Crystal Light, or even the Hawaiian Punch if you get a lot of kids.

teeth_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
]
Paradise said:
This whole thing is why I think I'd rather just raise the prices $5 and be done with the whole thing. Yes, some guests will take way more than what we budget for, but some guests take nothing at all so I think we end up to the good at the end of the year. Money-wise as well as satisfied-guest-wise.
We stayed at a place that left a bottle of wine out for the guests and a plate of cookies. We had a glass of wine and a cookie. The next night there was nothing. They only do it on arrival. And no new guests arrived on our second night. So, we happily looked forward to sitting on the deck with a glass of wine and...nothing. Too far to go to town to buy a bottle of wine, so there we were. We had a coke instead. Not quite the same thing.
I am with you on this one. I don't want to nickel and dime people for a bottle of water or soda, candy, cookies etc. We charged enough to cover our costs and provided it all for free. Very few abused it.

Don Draper said:
As for the water, we replaced individual bottles in rooms with a dispenser that does hot and cold in the dining room. Less waste and far less expense. We also put out those little drink mix packets that are meant to go with a 16 oz water bottle...they are going like hotcakes but our Crystal Springs rep has them on sale 2 for 1 for a box of 20 packets so it's still a great deal and the guests love it.
If using a water dispenser, I'm curious as to what you give the guests to hold the water...cups? portable water bottles??? What?

Don Draper said:
If using a water dispenser, I'm curious as to what you give the guests to hold the water...cups? portable water bottles??? What?
We keep plastic 10 oz disposable cups at the water dispenser, but many people have their own thermoses/water bottles which they fill right from there. We also have an ice machine where we keep rocks glasses and wine glasses/openers.

teeth_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
]
Paradise said:
I am with you on this one. I don't want to nickel and dime people for a bottle of water or soda, candy, cookies etc. We charged enough to cover our costs and provided it all for free. Very few abused it.
Everyone does things their own way but for me it's just simpler to put the water in the room and have done with it. It's always appreciated and almost always used. It's back down to that personal thing again ... when I go to bed there are three things I NEED to know are there - water, tissues and someway for me to know what time it is, so those are three things that my guests get too.
Worrying about who has paid, who probably intends to pay at the of the visit and should therefore have the water replaced, who didn't pay .... and is it because they are cheap, forgot or simply didn't have enough respect to bother ???? That's one extra layer of angst I choose not to deal with.
It's also swings and roundabouts. I don't put out cookies etc in the evening. It's just one more thing that has to get done, involves time, possible waste and as AI said, disappointment if it's NOT there, but I do have plenty of other "stuff" that guests can help themselves to.
I guess the bottom line is that my time has become one of my most valuable "assets" so I pick and choose my battles.

Back