One of THOSE days

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
I'd just finished dusting opening up the cabins for this weekends guests (turning on hot water tanks, sweeping the porches.... All was done and set to go. So I start walking down the path to the house (short path maybe 100' long.) As I just start walking a gust of wind kicked up and I could hear the acorns falling from the oak tree I was under...so I put my hand over my head. As I proceed out from under the oak tree I walk under a basswood tree....which has small round seeds a little bigger than a pea. and they are falling, so I keep my hand over my head. As I walk under the last tree a large white pine nothing seems to be falling so move my hand and just then something hits the top of my head.
cry_smile.gif

It felt solid (like a thunk) and felt like it was still in my hair....so I reach for it and feel a LARGE drop of something gooey.....Fresh pine sap!!!. So I now have sticky sap on one hand and in my hair. I go to wash my hands with soap...I think it actually made the sap stickier.... so I turn to the computer to search for a remedy...this goes slower than normal because I have to type with one hand for fear of completely sticking to the keyboard and mouse with the other hand. First site says to put peanut butter in your hair for five minutes.... I think to myself that the instant I put peanut butter in my hair, all three couples are going to be at the door wanting to check in and their going to see me looking like Alfalfa (Little Rascals) smelling like peanut butter. So I go to the next site....which recommends WD-40... I knew immediately that it was the answer since I use the stuff all the time for lots of oddball stuff. One shot of WD-40 on the hand and a wipe with a paper towel and the pitch was gone. One squirt in the hair and a wipe with the paper towel and it was out of my hair too.
Now if only it would have magically converted my grey hair back to black.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

You think you have grey hair now, wait a couple more years with DS..... (hear a witch's cackle!)

LOL....
Today (well this week) was one of those days for me as well. Lots of things pilling up after Gustov coming through here. Lack of good sleep since last Friday, and all. This morning I guess it was my last straw... I dropped the cream pitcher and it splattered all over the fridge, tears started flowing...
DH came in and looked at me & the mess and said "there is no reason to cry over spilt milk!" I had to laugh - just what I needed to lift the stress - a little cry & a good laugh!

lol!!! Alfafa. BUT, you know what, when I was reading your post (well, before I got to the sap in your hair!), I thought how beautiful is that?. Hearing the acorns falling from the trees.
Anyway, I was going to say vinegar. But WD-40?! Never in a million years would I have thought of that.
Loreal -- you'll be back to Black in 5 minutes.

LOL....
Today (well this week) was one of those days for me as well. Lots of things pilling up after Gustov coming through here. Lack of good sleep since last Friday, and all. This morning I guess it was my last straw... I dropped the cream pitcher and it splattered all over the fridge, tears started flowing...
DH came in and looked at me & the mess and said "there is no reason to cry over spilt milk!" I had to laugh - just what I needed to lift the stress - a little cry & a good laugh!.
DH sounds like he's got great commedic timing. I shouldn't whine, overall it was a good day.

I thought the gooey stuff was going to be something else. HA!
WD-40? Whowouldathunk? I have it handy but not that handy. I bet it would work well for the sticky sap from these Confederate Jasmine here. Seems like it takes a fair amount of that goo soap I have to get it out. I'll let you know tomorrow after I trim :)

WD-40? Whowouldathunk? I have it handy but not that handy. I bet it would work well for the sticky sap from these Confederate Jasmine here. Seems like it takes a fair amount of that goo soap I have to get it out. I'll let you know tomorrow after I trim :).
That was my thought originally, I thought a bird got me good.
WD40 is a great solvent for lots of stuff (permanent marker, some make-up, price tag goo on glassware ...) I knew that Turpentine works great on pine pitch (I use to clean my tools after working with pine) but it stinks bad for a long time. The smell of the WD40 goes away more rapidly.
There was an email list that went around a few years back about the many uses of WD-40 ..... much of it true...but some not officially endorsed by the company
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp
The company has a list of user submitted 2000+ uses (a little long and partially repetitive)
http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf
They took the same list and broke it down by function...makes it a little easier to use
http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips

WD-40? Whowouldathunk? I have it handy but not that handy. I bet it would work well for the sticky sap from these Confederate Jasmine here. Seems like it takes a fair amount of that goo soap I have to get it out. I'll let you know tomorrow after I trim :).
That was my thought originally, I thought a bird got me good.
WD40 is a great solvent for lots of stuff (permanent marker, some make-up, price tag goo on glassware ...) I knew that Turpentine works great on pine pitch (I use to clean my tools after working with pine) but it stinks bad for a long time. The smell of the WD40 goes away more rapidly.
There was an email list that went around a few years back about the many uses of WD-40 ..... much of it true...but some not officially endorsed by the company
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp
The company has a list of user submitted 2000+ uses (a little long and partially repetitive)
http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf
They took the same list and broke it down by function...makes it a little easier to use
http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips
Thanks! I'll take a peek.

WD-40 is great stuff. Where I have some water stains under some windows where they leaked over the years (and where I haven't gotten around to stripping all of that wood and varnishing it), a little WD-40 applied like furniture polish and the teak looks just like the rest - water stain gone!
That's one of those little tricks I learned from the same bag that had the "wood floors polished with diesel fuel are the prettiest" and they are! That one was learned by mistake when a little fuel in a bucket spilled on the floor. It got wiped up and WOW was that spot gorgeous! But you gotta like the smell. I love the smell of diesel, but I don't practice that technique because I'm afraid guests would not like the smell.

Back