one of THOSE days

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Ok, so a lady orders pies from me and is picking them this afternoon. No problem. I turn on the oven then go to the mail box. There is my Pay check that was supposed to be direct deposited with a letter explaining the issues they were having.... yak yak yak.. I suddenly remember my house payment is coming out of this account TODAY, so quickly I run to the bank (one block away) make the deposit and return home. Phew that taken care of walk inside and my house is filled with gas!!! YIKES, the pilot light didn't light. so i run and open everything up (there goes the airconditioning)! I have peaches sliced and draining and give them a stir breaking my spatula in the process (more frustrated than I thought), while calling the local appliance stores!
I don't want to drive to the City, so I'm calling local. I have to be able to 'kick the tires' so to speak. I can't order on line; I have to see inside, see all the features etc.. anyway, first appliance store doesn't have what I am looking for and it will take two weeks to get it...Hello, I'm a business that really NEEDS a stove and oven! the second one says they might have something that they can deliver in a day or so... great I'm glad I have no guests booked!
So there goes my savings... we don't like to buy on credit and try to pay cash for everything except the house payment. .... hmmm just when I think were getting a head :{
the phone rings and another b&b wants to know what I charge for luncheons.....

Do you really need a new stove just because the pilot didn't light? Sometimes just a clean and service is enough to get them running.

A service call may be what you need, unless the stove is old. What are you doing about the pies?

So how much for a luncheon?
tounge_smile.gif

me too ... what happened to the pies. You are welcome to come and use my ovens. A tad far, but come any way.

HA!! I have that beat....
I still do not have a fully functioning oven from the lightning strike. They are still waiting on the part. This is now 3 weeks later. We have a tentative date for Thursday to fix the stove if the part comes in. Our digital cable in our house is having problems even after we swapped out the box. That guy is coming on Friday afternoon. Guests are here tonight & tomorrow night.
Today...
  1. Sick dog (I won't go into the gross specifics)
  2. Plumbing leak under the sink of the room guests were checking into, so I had to move them
  3. Guest wanted early check-in which was fine since I had to move them to an upgraded room
  4. Guests caught me all disheveled (see #1-3 above)
  5. Dog is still sick
  6. Lawn guys didn't do their job right & I'm paying them a fortune
  7. I haven't eaten anything all day (see #1-6 above)
  8. TV/VCR in a guest room apparently got toasted from a storm
  9. My common areas didn't get cleaned due to the above but I'm taking 5 minutes to sit down & feel sorry for myself
    cry_smile.gif
I hope that's the end of the list for me!! Good luck with your stove :)

always could be worse...could have an earthquake.
Sheesh welcome back to Southern CA mom and Dad - they arrived there just as it happened this morning.

Sheesh welcome back to Southern CA mom and Dad - they arrived there just as it happened this morning..
there was a quake today??? Did it make the news??? where?? We are having new heat pumps installed..of course on a 90degree day!!! Hopefully the air will be on soon.

Sheesh welcome back to Southern CA mom and Dad - they arrived there just as it happened this morning..
True enough....
I guess lightning doesn't count for me??
wink_smile.gif
We are still finding small electronics that bit the dust. Irritating but not life threatening obviously.
I have now cleaned up after the dog for the 6th time. Not that I'm counting.... I remember your cat stories. I hope this is short lived from something that she ate.
Still have not gotten to my common rooms.
It is NOT a good day for me but I do have the consolation that I don't live where there are earthquakes anymore. Or do I?? Actually, we are right on the fault line for the East Coast.
I will not tempt fate!!!

Not a good day for me either! HVAC guy came yesterday to recharge my system after I had rebuilt a solenoid valve. Had to evacuate the system and recharge it. OK - that went well. As we were testing the system by operating it normally, and in reverse cycle (heat), to clean out any debris that may have been in the tubes, we lost one phase of the power just as we had all units running in full blast heat mode. I was thinking, OK, that was probably just too much.
I went upstairs look at the volt meter and was only getting about 80 volts when I should have been getting 240. I walked down the dock to check the breaker and found that about 2/3 of the dock was out. Turned on the generator to finish the AC. All was working fine. I later discovered that the power failure was a coincidence and I didn’t blow everything up with the huge amount of amps I was sucking down at the time.
I returned from walking the guys out the gate to found my genny racing and voltage all over the place. Compressor in the refrigerator hated that and was grumbling loudly about it. AC had already shut itself down. Changed the fuel filter on the genny (the usual suspect) and still could not get decent power, so I just shut it down and went to someone else’s boat where they still had power (and air conditioning!).
Florida Power & Light showed up a few hours later and found that we had blown the oil out of a major transformer and that one line running in had been corrupted (time for a backhoe). They stole some power from another source and put the marina back on line.
Came back to the boat and can’t get the newly recharged system to cool. Condensing unit is hot as fire and can’t be touched which leads me to belive the gas has escaped again. Now, I hear water running where I shouldn’t.
It’s well after 1AM by now. I look down and the darn seawater pump that cools the AC system has sprung three pinholes and is spraying water everywhere. This is a below the waterline pump that pumps 3,000 gallons/hour.
I closed the seacock and shut the entire AC system down. It’s really HOT. I remembered reading what several other Hatteras owners had said about an epoxy material called "JB Weld" - my new best friend. It was after 3AM and I had crawled under one side of an engine to get to the pump. I slathered JB Weld goo all over the area where the water was coming it - I like to keep the ocean on the other side of the hull. :)
By 5AM, I had finished putting the seastrainers back together and the weld was set. I fired up the pump and the weld held and still is. Off to the store I went first thing this morning to get a new pump - you never know how long that weld is going to last, though others have said their welds have lasted more than 10 years now.
So, here I am with a new pump that needs to be installed in that very hard to get to place. I’ve had no sleep in about 36 hours and nothing to eat since lunch yesterday. Maybe I should take a nap before going down there and messing with 220 volts.
At least I have AC back on in certain parts, but not throughout the whole vessel. Is there a full moon?
As I sat outside in the wee hours of the morning on the verge of a total meltdown, it’s times like these that make me wonder if it’s all worth it or not.

ok, ok, you all got me beat! well, most of you :) my day doesn't seem so bad after reading yours.
the pies.. yes, well as i was about to turn off the oven i opened it and it was hot! and the gas wasn't leaking anymore! Well I probably shouldn't have but I did bake the pies in it. the gas was out of the house and it seemed ok. BUT it has done this one other time. I did put in a new igniter 4 years ago and it has lasted that long. But the oven doesn't cook even and it is small and old. the appliance man said the ignitor may not be pulling enough volts to ignite before the oven fills with gas.. yeah, so i think I'm lucky it didn't explode.. right? (our furnaces exploded 3 years ago when the gas company sent 10lbs of gas through a 1/4 lb line. Did $150,000. damage to the house and took 6 months to repair).
So I went to the appliance store and they were having a sale and I got a nice big new oven with a convection oven too.... AND a new refrigerator! yeah we needed a new one. ours was old too and way too small (20 cubic ft) and also continually leaked water.
So on top of the sale.. I asked them what kind of deal they would give me for being a loyal customer (a big deal since everyone is doing their shopping in the city); AND buying two appliances.. they gave me a very, good deal! :) yeah!
so my day wasn't all that bad :)

Do you really need a new stove just because the pilot didn't light? Sometimes just a clean and service is enough to get them running..
yeah, its old. I put in a new ignitor 4 years ago(did you catch that... I... the repair man said I probably couldn't do it myself) , but it has not cooked even. And it is very small and I get so frustrated because I can't cook much in it at one time.

Not a good day for me either! HVAC guy came yesterday to recharge my system after I had rebuilt a solenoid valve. Had to evacuate the system and recharge it. OK - that went well. As we were testing the system by operating it normally, and in reverse cycle (heat), to clean out any debris that may have been in the tubes, we lost one phase of the power just as we had all units running in full blast heat mode. I was thinking, OK, that was probably just too much.
I went upstairs look at the volt meter and was only getting about 80 volts when I should have been getting 240. I walked down the dock to check the breaker and found that about 2/3 of the dock was out. Turned on the generator to finish the AC. All was working fine. I later discovered that the power failure was a coincidence and I didn’t blow everything up with the huge amount of amps I was sucking down at the time.
I returned from walking the guys out the gate to found my genny racing and voltage all over the place. Compressor in the refrigerator hated that and was grumbling loudly about it. AC had already shut itself down. Changed the fuel filter on the genny (the usual suspect) and still could not get decent power, so I just shut it down and went to someone else’s boat where they still had power (and air conditioning!).
Florida Power & Light showed up a few hours later and found that we had blown the oil out of a major transformer and that one line running in had been corrupted (time for a backhoe). They stole some power from another source and put the marina back on line.
Came back to the boat and can’t get the newly recharged system to cool. Condensing unit is hot as fire and can’t be touched which leads me to belive the gas has escaped again. Now, I hear water running where I shouldn’t.
It’s well after 1AM by now. I look down and the darn seawater pump that cools the AC system has sprung three pinholes and is spraying water everywhere. This is a below the waterline pump that pumps 3,000 gallons/hour.
I closed the seacock and shut the entire AC system down. It’s really HOT. I remembered reading what several other Hatteras owners had said about an epoxy material called "JB Weld" - my new best friend. It was after 3AM and I had crawled under one side of an engine to get to the pump. I slathered JB Weld goo all over the area where the water was coming it - I like to keep the ocean on the other side of the hull. :)
By 5AM, I had finished putting the seastrainers back together and the weld was set. I fired up the pump and the weld held and still is. Off to the store I went first thing this morning to get a new pump - you never know how long that weld is going to last, though others have said their welds have lasted more than 10 years now.
So, here I am with a new pump that needs to be installed in that very hard to get to place. I’ve had no sleep in about 36 hours and nothing to eat since lunch yesterday. Maybe I should take a nap before going down there and messing with 220 volts.
At least I have AC back on in certain parts, but not throughout the whole vessel. Is there a full moon?
As I sat outside in the wee hours of the morning on the verge of a total meltdown, it’s times like these that make me wonder if it’s all worth it or not..
Jeez, Louise, I have nothing to complain about or have a pity party about! Yep, J B Weld is a keeper...it is in my little basket of really good glues & bonding agents.
regular_smile.gif

My dh got the plumbing problem fixed (I could not get the connection tightened & also didn't want to over tighten the valve). I got the cabinet pretty much dried out. The floor will take awhile longer at the corner of the kitchen island where the water sought its low spot. We left a note for the guests on their door that their room was ready & we could move them in tonight when they got back, give us a call. Nope, no call. I am hoping that they don't want to be moved tomorrow (2 night stay) because then I have to make up the beds in 2 rooms. boo hoo
cry_smile.gif
We'll see what breakfast brings.
My outdoor water faucet spigot at the other house won't turn on. I think the lawn guys busted it. Something else to fix...
Dog is still sick.
We finally ate Taco Bell at 8 PM. Healthy food! NOT!
Got the damaged sofa out of the guest room & stashed it in another room that is empty until our son can help my dh carry it downstairs. My dh is saying that he's worried about me getting it moved & I think he's really worried about himself. haha
teeth_smile.gif
The 2 new chairs & ottoman are set up for the guests checking in tomorrow to that room.
The last couple of days haven't been good & today was a particularly frustrating day for me & I asked myself the same question: "Is it all worth it??"

ok, ok, you all got me beat! well, most of you :) my day doesn't seem so bad after reading yours.
the pies.. yes, well as i was about to turn off the oven i opened it and it was hot! and the gas wasn't leaking anymore! Well I probably shouldn't have but I did bake the pies in it. the gas was out of the house and it seemed ok. BUT it has done this one other time. I did put in a new igniter 4 years ago and it has lasted that long. But the oven doesn't cook even and it is small and old. the appliance man said the ignitor may not be pulling enough volts to ignite before the oven fills with gas.. yeah, so i think I'm lucky it didn't explode.. right? (our furnaces exploded 3 years ago when the gas company sent 10lbs of gas through a 1/4 lb line. Did $150,000. damage to the house and took 6 months to repair).
So I went to the appliance store and they were having a sale and I got a nice big new oven with a convection oven too.... AND a new refrigerator! yeah we needed a new one. ours was old too and way too small (20 cubic ft) and also continually leaked water.
So on top of the sale.. I asked them what kind of deal they would give me for being a loyal customer (a big deal since everyone is doing their shopping in the city); AND buying two appliances.. they gave me a very, good deal! :) yeah!
so my day wasn't all that bad :).
Glad to hear that you had a good resolution to that oven problem :) Sad that we get so excited over new appliances, isn't it?
wink_smile.gif

True enough....
I guess lightning doesn't count for me??
wink_smile.gif
We are still finding small electronics that bit the dust. Irritating but not life threatening obviously.
I have now cleaned up after the dog for the 6th time. Not that I'm counting.... I remember your cat stories. I hope this is short lived from something that she ate.
Still have not gotten to my common rooms.
It is NOT a good day for me but I do have the consolation that I don't live where there are earthquakes anymore. Or do I?? Actually, we are right on the fault line for the East Coast.
I will not tempt fate!!!
Samster said:
I feel you. Two of mine have been off and on sick since Friday when I think they had some bad marrow bones. My perfectly house trained dogs; two had accidents in the middle of the night two nights ago and one had two accidents. And if cleaning up the messes isn't bad enough, four words: stinky, stinky, butt fur. If you've ever dealt with it you know what it is!
Oh, and we're supposed leave on a 2500 mile trip this Friday for a month in New England with all dogs. Thankfully, they both seem to be on their way to recovery and we've had no further issues since two nights ago. You know the bland diet and/or fasting routine? There's also reglan which can help with vomit. If you need more details you can email me off list.

Back