One thing on a B&B website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you could pick just ONE THING that you find interesting and totally unnecessary on a B&B website what would it be? I mean, just totally off the cuff, in general interest? Not the needed things on the website...but something more. Maybe something that shows the inn or innkeepers personality?
a photo gallery?
a video
a blog
a page of guest reviews or a page of guest photos
a poem
a story
a gift shop
a section featuring the hosts artwork
the hosts hobbies or interests
local gardens in the community
photos of weird stuff
other
Have you seen anything that just caught your attention and you thought, hey neat!

A photo gallery, but not of the rooms, I want to see the cool stuff in the area so it can help me decide how many days I want to stay.

A photo gallery, but not of the rooms, I want to see the cool stuff in the area so it can help me decide how many days I want to stay..
Breakfast Diva said:
A photo gallery, but not of the rooms, I want to see the cool stuff in the area so it can help me decide how many days I want to stay.
What if the photo gallery on website has pictures of somewhere else and not the actual surroundings?

A photo gallery, but not of the rooms, I want to see the cool stuff in the area so it can help me decide how many days I want to stay..
Breakfast Diva said:
What if the photo gallery on website has pictures of somewhere else and not the actual surroundings?
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
What do you mean somewhere else? Why would you have pictures in a photo gallery of things not in your area?

Breakfast Diva said:
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
What do you mean somewhere else? Why would you have pictures in a photo gallery of things not in your area?
Breakfast Diva said:
To attract tourists :)
Picutre this.. a website displaying photos of trekking/river rafting/para gliding/yoga/ nature walks "near it" when in reality, all the activities take place atleast 200Kms away, if not in altogether different geographical area/country/state !
I would rather do a bit of research on the surrounding of the B&B online/ reviews/ maps than take the website of the place as the final word.

Breakfast Diva said:
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Picutre this.. a website displaying photos of trekking/river rafting/para gliding/yoga/ nature walks "near it" when in reality, all the activities take place atleast 200Kms away, if not in altogether different geographical area/country/state !
I would rather do a bit of research on the surrounding of the B&B online/ reviews/ maps than take the website of the place as the final word.
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
There are B&B's that have photos of ocean views and lighthouses and they are nowhere near the water. I get what you are saying. Obv that is nothing we are speaking of here, we are talking about things to see and do with photos. Example: a zipline - not here, but an hour away, so if you are inclined to want to fly through the air harnessed onto a cable we know a place you can do it!

Breakfast Diva said:
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
There are B&B's that have photos of ocean views and lighthouses and they are nowhere near the water. I get what you are saying. Obv that is nothing we are speaking of here, we are talking about things to see and do with photos. Example: a zipline - not here, but an hour away, so if you are inclined to want to fly through the air harnessed onto a cable we know a place you can do it!
I would consider side trips of 1 to 1 1/2 hours as "in your area". These are the kind of photos I'd like to see in a photo gallery...entice me to stay a few days to explore!

I wouldn't waste real estate on a poem. You're going to be lucky to have people look past your first page, so you have to sell it on your first try.
Critical items are: a short but sweet description, pictures, prices, amenities and phone number.

I wouldn't waste real estate on a poem. You're going to be lucky to have people look past your first page, so you have to sell it on your first try.
Critical items are: a short but sweet description, pictures, prices, amenities and phone number..
Proud Texan said:
Critical items are: a short but sweet description, pictures, prices, amenities and phone number.
You are correct, but the question was 'website' not just the home page!

Critical items are: a short but sweet description, pictures, prices, amenities and phone number..
Proud Texan said:
You are correct, but the question was 'website' not just the home page!
That's also what I meant. Poetry? Really? I'm trying to sell rooms. Put that crap in a blog.

I am asking YOU, not asking what YOU DO, not asking what YOUR WEBSITE has on it.
<BEAT HEAD HERE PER USUAL>
Can people not ONLY think that the questions are because I WANT TO BUILD A WEBSITE, I am asking you personally what you have found interesting, like a photo gallery of the gardens in different seasons. etc There is ALWAYS SPACE ON A WEBSITE TO ADD MORE PAGES and add more info and add more personality. That is what it is all about, not just sell sell sell. This is YOUR PLACE, YOUR LIFE, YOUR BUSINESS. That is what I am after, things you found interesting, or piqued your interest.
If you don't go anywhere or care, then DON'T ANSWER, PLEASE.
pita.gif

Proud Texan said:
I have been doing some research in the lovely state of Missouri. You can't imagine how many B&B websites I've found that don't even have a dog-gone address on the homepage! It's crazy. No address- bye. No online webervations- bye. No rates within three clicks (from home page to rate page- it better be there or I'm only giving you one more click)- bye. Hasn't been updated since Christmas of last year- bye.
Don't waste my time!
And you know what else, now that I'm on my soapbox, I would LOVE to know what area you are in within your state. I'm looking at Missouri. It's a big state. I am not overly familiar with the locations of certain cities/towns. I don't have googlemaps open on one tab and their website open on another. TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE! Say that you are in North Central area. Or in the southeastern corner of the state. Give me something to work with. Yes, you want my business- I'd love to give you my business. But I don't want to have to work harder to plan a getaway than I have to. Sheesh.

I am asking YOU, not asking what YOU DO, not asking what YOUR WEBSITE has on it.
<BEAT HEAD HERE PER USUAL>
Can people not ONLY think that the questions are because I WANT TO BUILD A WEBSITE, I am asking you personally what you have found interesting, like a photo gallery of the gardens in different seasons. etc There is ALWAYS SPACE ON A WEBSITE TO ADD MORE PAGES and add more info and add more personality. That is what it is all about, not just sell sell sell. This is YOUR PLACE, YOUR LIFE, YOUR BUSINESS. That is what I am after, things you found interesting, or piqued your interest.
If you don't go anywhere or care, then DON'T ANSWER, PLEASE.
pita.gif
I absolutely love knowing a little bit about the innkeepers. Even if it's just a blurb about their names and how they'd "love to host me"- blah, blah, blah.
But I still would like to know the name of the person I am giving my money to.
I love to see photos of the inns in different seasons. I have seen a website that has an open photo gallery and accepts guests' photos from their stay- has to be approved, of course, but from the guest standpoint, it's neat to see what they see!
I also love to know a little bit about the history of the inn. If Lincoln stayed at your place while he was traveling cross-country to accept his inauguration, I'd like to know that. If you have an old lumber baron's home, tell me. Let me know the history of your place. It interested you at one point, perhaps it'll interest me. I remember Little Blue once said that she got the kind of people to come to her that were like her. If it interested you, it might interest me, and we might get along. (We might not, but that's a different story).
Photos tell me just about everything I need to know. The exterior, interior, rooms, pets, flowers, in the summer, winter, down the driveway... a picture really is worth a thousand words!

Proud Texan said:
I have been doing some research in the lovely state of Missouri. You can't imagine how many B&B websites I've found that don't even have a dog-gone address on the homepage! It's crazy. No address- bye. No online webervations- bye. No rates within three clicks (from home page to rate page- it better be there or I'm only giving you one more click)- bye. Hasn't been updated since Christmas of last year- bye.
Don't waste my time!
And you know what else, now that I'm on my soapbox, I would LOVE to know what area you are in within your state. I'm looking at Missouri. It's a big state. I am not overly familiar with the locations of certain cities/towns. I don't have googlemaps open on one tab and their website open on another. TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE! Say that you are in North Central area. Or in the southeastern corner of the state. Give me something to work with. Yes, you want my business- I'd love to give you my business. But I don't want to have to work harder to plan a getaway than I have to. Sheesh.
You said it!
thumbs_up.gif
Drives me nuts, where the heck are they?

Some days I think we are doing good just having the dang site up and working hahaha But yes I agree that more photos seem to be better. Now what if you are in an area that maybe is not so visually stunning. I might not be the best photographer etc. so with caution.
I do disagree that most guests want to know the innkeeper before they show up. A name is nice but more then that is probably too much. I think most people have an idea that the innkeeper did ok and is now enjoying a quality of life change. If they really knew??? So i think you should keep the curtain shut as it were.

Some days I think we are doing good just having the dang site up and working hahaha But yes I agree that more photos seem to be better. Now what if you are in an area that maybe is not so visually stunning. I might not be the best photographer etc. so with caution.
I do disagree that most guests want to know the innkeeper before they show up. A name is nice but more then that is probably too much. I think most people have an idea that the innkeeper did ok and is now enjoying a quality of life change. If they really knew??? So i think you should keep the curtain shut as it were..
toddburme said:
I do disagree that most guests want to know the innkeeper before they show up. A name is nice but more then that is probably too much. I think most people have an idea that the innkeeper did ok and is now enjoying a quality of life change. If they really knew??? So i think you should keep the curtain shut as it were.
Some people do, some don't. I don't either but having it on the site for those that do is not a bad thing. I may click on it see a pic and then off again, other may want to read their life history and if so, maybe it will be there. I read a couple of them before, did not get a warm fuzzy feeling (uppity sounding), so I do not read them any more.

I do disagree that most guests want to know the innkeeper before they show up. A name is nice but more then that is probably too much. I think most people have an idea that the innkeeper did ok and is now enjoying a quality of life change. If they really knew??? So i think you should keep the curtain shut as it were..
I think that everything has some beautiful elements to it if you stop and really look. Just stop and look at it as if for the first time. Look at light and texture. Granted I'm pretty tired, and don't want to get "profound", but if you really look, you can take those photos. Photo editing software can do the rest. It's fun once you get going.

I'm chiming in late here, but I really like an FAQ page. Muirford had posted this one as a reference on an earlier thread, and I am using it as a template to create an FAQ page for our site. As a guest I think it helps to know what questions come up often, and if you're planning a trip in advance it gives you time to troubleshoot for yourself. But I'm the kind of person who enjoys the planning of a trip almost as much as the trip itself, so maybe that's just me.
Photo galleries I find SO boring...because most of them show pics of the "area" versus the actual property. I'm not interested in the tourist brochure version of where I'm going. But I do love pics of the actual property and rooms.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE knowing something about the innkeepers. Sometimes you find the most beautiful web site and the property looks so amazing, but what, did robots put it together and run it? I want to see the real people, and I like reading a little bit about you (although never anything to do with religious or political views, even if I agree with you it's not something I want to discuss on vacation).

Breakfast Diva said:
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Viper said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I would consider side trips of 1 to 1 1/2 hours as "in your area". These are the kind of photos I'd like to see in a photo gallery...entice me to stay a few days to explore!
BD, this struck me as so funny because I just posted that I specifically DON'T like photo galleries of "the area" because so many sites have pics of stuff that aren't what I would consider "close". It reminds me that EVERYONE looks at your site differently, so even if I personally don't like something, having it on my site might prompt someone who does like it to book....so now maybe I need an expanded photo gallery
regular_smile.gif

Back