One thing you learned from YOUR STAY at another inn that you have implemented?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is there something you found dandy at another inn and decided you would do the same at yours? Just something simple or clever you liked that you implements at your place.
Have you been to another inn since opening yours? I hope so. We all need a chance to get away and see how the other-inns live. :)

I will begin with something I changed.
HANGERS.
The one thing that multiplies in this place are hangers - clothes brought in on them, brought back out stuffed in their suitcase, I inherit the hangers. Because I try to be economically conscientous (aka thrifty, aka most bang for my buck) it is hard to just toss them away. I have stayed at inns with a couple wiry horrible hangers and no drawer space and it puts me off.
So after staying at a forum member inn, seeing nice wooden hangers ONLY in the closet I gave away all the other plastic (storebought and other) hangers and put ALL WOOD (same stained color) in every closet/wardrobe, except for some lingerie hangers three per room.
Something simple, but it just seemed a bit more upscale to me, so I did it. Has anyone ever commented on this? No, of course not, it is just something I did that made me feel good in the room presentation.

HANGERS.
The one thing that multiplies in this place are hangers - clothes brought in on them, brought back out stuffed in their suitcase, I inherit the hangers. Because I try to be economically conscientous (aka thrifty, aka most bang for my buck) it is hard to just toss them away. I have stayed at inns with a couple wiry horrible hangers and no drawer space and it puts me off.
So after staying at a forum member inn, seeing nice wooden hangers ONLY in the closet I gave away all the other plastic (storebought and other) hangers and put ALL WOOD (same stained color) in every closet/wardrobe, except for some lingerie hangers three per room.
Something simple, but it just seemed a bit more upscale to me, so I did it. Has anyone ever commented on this? No, of course not, it is just something I did that made me feel good in the room presentation..
Joe Bloggs said:
HANGERS.
Something simple, but it just seemed a bit more upscale to me, so I did it.
hmmm....I have the opposite problem. My hangers disappear and the horrible wire ones are left. I've got the plastic ones so it's no big deal, but I'd be afraid if I used wooden ones, those would disappear too. It's annoying.

HANGERS.
Something simple, but it just seemed a bit more upscale to me, so I did it. Has anyone ever commented on this? No, of course not, it is just something I did that made me feel good in the room presentation..
Joe Bloggs said:
HANGERS.
hmmm....I have the opposite problem. My hangers disappear and the horrible wire ones are left. I've got the plastic ones so it's no big deal, but I'd be afraid if I used wooden ones, those would disappear too. It's annoying.
Breakfast Diva said:
Joe Bloggs said:
HANGERS.
Maybe they think they were brought from home? I had one guest take two wooden hangers and then return them - he had his pants hanging on them and just grabbed everything in the closet.

another thing I did that was simple and I have no idea if a guest ever uses much, was put a pack of cards, small notepad and pen in each room (together). We enjoyed playing cards once, because they were there, not in a library or anything, just in the room on the desk/dresser.

another thing I did that was simple and I have no idea if a guest ever uses much, was put a pack of cards, small notepad and pen in each room (together). We enjoyed playing cards once, because they were there, not in a library or anything, just in the room on the desk/dresser..
I stayed at a lovely place and they had scratch pads with their logo & info printed on them. They're kind of expensive, but the next time I had printing done, I had them create scratch pads for me. Guests loved them. I'm now out of them and looking for a cheaper supplier. They only have 20 sheets on each pad.
Does anyone else have these? Know of a good/cheap supplier?

Over time I replaced all my plastic hangers with wooden ones. I get them at Big Lots and they are cheap. I think it was around 3.50 for 3 of them.
What did I steal? The comment book (many years ago). I also stole the idea of using chargers from a B & B friend.

Many of you have shared your wording of policies with me...I like the way y'all make things sound...Bree especially helped with the wording of the breakfast info.
For actual "thing" that I've copied...guest computer setup, people appreciate it and I'm glad when I don't have to get up early to print their boarding passes.

Ditto on the hangers ("ditto"...does that date me too much?) Either on the other board, or way earlier on this one, there was quite a disscussion about the ugly wire hangers. That was while we were planning and building. Now that we're done....hmm.. are you ever "done"? - no ugly wire hangers here
regular_smile.gif

KathleenM
I learned my breakfast sequence from a restaurant where I worked years ago. They served two fruit salads at lunchtime, one plain cut fruit, and one dressed with yoghurt. I start all the breakfasts here with plain cut fruit salad. Guests all devour this. And while they're on that starter, I can complete the rest of their breakfast.
We have individual tables for our guests rather than family seating. We prefer it this way, and if guests are chatty, they can easily converse from table to table. We learned that we didn't like the all at the same table seating. We need time to work up to friendly! (no problem at our own place, we're up so far ahead of the guests that we're in happy mode by the time they're awake and moving.)
Elsewhere we liked white towels. We have white towels. We prefer no set time for breakfast, so that is how its done here..(with only two rooms, very do-able)...I'm sure there's loads more, but thats all that comes to mind at the moment.
-KM

I also borrowed the idea of hand lotion (aromatherapy) for guests. They last forever, bath and body works. I have a few different scents. One per room. I get them when they are on the annual sale and stock up. Go in person to make sure they don't stink. This one is lemongrass an cardamon. I try to keep them non flowery - more citrusy.
pBBW1-6138642v194.jpg

another thing I did that was simple and I have no idea if a guest ever uses much, was put a pack of cards, small notepad and pen in each room (together). We enjoyed playing cards once, because they were there, not in a library or anything, just in the room on the desk/dresser..
I stayed at a lovely place and they had scratch pads with their logo & info printed on them. They're kind of expensive, but the next time I had printing done, I had them create scratch pads for me. Guests loved them. I'm now out of them and looking for a cheaper supplier. They only have 20 sheets on each pad.
I order them from Office Depot...no logo, lots more sheets and very affordable. If you're energectic, you can always use a rubber stamp for your logo!

I stole the playing cards idea too. Maybe it was from JBJ here on the forum? We have had guests use them.
Guests are always commenting on how nice the wooden hangers and padded hangers are here. None have gone walking. I had a guest who was here for a week and brought lots of skirts and asked for skirt hangers. I now have a couple of the ones with clips for pants or skirts in each room too.
You can get small pretty notepads at dollar stores and they usually have 80-100 sheets - I still have the original ones after about 18 months.

I stole the playing cards idea too. Maybe it was from JBJ here on the forum? We have had guests use them.
Guests are always commenting on how nice the wooden hangers and padded hangers are here. None have gone walking. I had a guest who was here for a week and brought lots of skirts and asked for skirt hangers. I now have a couple of the ones with clips for pants or skirts in each room too.
You can get small pretty notepads at dollar stores and they usually have 80-100 sheets - I still have the original ones after about 18 months..
Samster said:
You can get small pretty notepads at dollar stores and they usually have 80-100 sheets - I still have the original ones after about 18 months.
I don't know that we stole the idea, because we'd never seen it, but we have cards, board games etc. in each guest room. From the feedback we receive, Yahtzee seems to be the favorite.
ETA: We also put travel size Scrabble in each room. Very popular.

I order them from Office Depot...no logo, lots more sheets and very affordable. If you're energectic, you can always use a rubber stamp for your logo!
Little Blue said:
The whole point of having them is another way to help the "brand", so it also has to look professional. Many guests take them and I want them to be reminded of our B&B and their stay every time they see it.

Little Blue said:
The whole point of having them is another way to help the "brand", so it also has to look professional. Many guests take them and I want them to be reminded of our B&B and their stay every time they see it.
Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
I believe it was the old forum where we had some maniac come on there with massive gripes about a BnB. (My memory is prob missing facts here so just the gist) -- in the end it came down to the person hated the BnB and a huge gripe was there was no personalized stationary in the room. We all about fell over when we read that. One forum member contacted the innkeepers to let them know a past guest was badmouthing their place (as a courtesy, after all we are innkeepers!)
In the end it came down to the innkeeper's husband had DIED in the middle of renovations, they also had rental properties, she had a child and was expecting the second when HE UP AND DIED.
It really broke our hearts how cruel and selfish some guests can be. I think we took a vote that day and asked Who here/there had personalized stationary? Where was this pertrubed guest getting this idea from? And only a couple did have it. He was a very nasty man to go searching for places to bad mouth this inn. The room was not expensive or overpriced at all.

Little Blue said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
I believe it was the old forum where we had some maniac come on there with massive gripes about a BnB. (My memory is prob missing facts here so just the gist) -- in the end it came down to the person hated the BnB and a huge gripe was there was no personalized stationary in the room. We all about fell over when we read that. One forum member contacted the innkeepers to let them know a past guest was badmouthing their place (as a courtesy, after all we are innkeepers!)
In the end it came down to the innkeeper's husband had DIED in the middle of renovations, they also had rental properties, she had a child and was expecting the second when HE UP AND DIED.
It really broke our hearts how cruel and selfish some guests can be. I think we took a vote that day and asked Who here/there had personalized stationary? Where was this pertrubed guest getting this idea from? And only a couple did have it. He was a very nasty man to go searching for places to bad mouth this inn. The room was not expensive or overpriced at all.
Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
What a disturbing story. Does anybody know how she is doing now? I just don't get people sometimes.
As far as stationary goes, somehow I don't consider a scratch pad stationary and I certainly wouldn't expect it. Geez, you don't even get stationary in 5* hotels anymore!

We have started putting a large thermos of coffee outside the rooms very early in the morning for the early risers with a big comfortable chair beside the table. The guests can then take their coffee back to their rooms or sit with a book or newspaper and not disturb their spouse. The guests love not having to come downstairs for their coffee and many of them will get a cup and go back to bed then get up for a late breakfast.
I also love wooden roses for the rooms and special packages for the guests to take home. Tie your business card on the rose with a pretty ribbon and the guests will keep as a reminder of their stay.

We have started putting a large thermos of coffee outside the rooms very early in the morning for the early risers with a big comfortable chair beside the table. The guests can then take their coffee back to their rooms or sit with a book or newspaper and not disturb their spouse. The guests love not having to come downstairs for their coffee and many of them will get a cup and go back to bed then get up for a late breakfast.
I also love wooden roses for the rooms and special packages for the guests to take home. Tie your business card on the rose with a pretty ribbon and the guests will keep as a reminder of their stay..
Where do you get wooden roses?? Sounds like something that might work here.

Back