One thing you learned from YOUR STAY at another inn that you have implemented?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another thing I did that was simple and I have no idea if a guest ever uses much, was put a pack of cards, small notepad and pen in each room (together). We enjoyed playing cards once, because they were there, not in a library or anything, just in the room on the desk/dresser..
I stayed at a lovely place and they had scratch pads with their logo & info printed on them. They're kind of expensive, but the next time I had printing done, I had them create scratch pads for me. Guests loved them. I'm now out of them and looking for a cheaper supplier. They only have 20 sheets on each pad.
Does anyone else have these? Know of a good/cheap supplier?
I order them from Office Depot...no logo, lots more sheets and very affordable. If you're energectic, you can always use a rubber stamp for your logo!
Little Blue said:
I order them from Office Depot...no logo, lots more sheets and very affordable. If you're energectic, you can always use a rubber stamp for your logo!
The whole point of having them is another way to help the "brand", so it also has to look professional. Many guests take them and I want them to be reminded of our B&B and their stay every time they see it.
NO, the whole point of MY having them is so the guest has something to write on. I could care less about putting my name and logo on everything in the room. Guests will and do remember us regardless of whether our note pads have our name and logo on them.
IF I have to count on them to remember us from the stationery, I'm doing something wrong.

I will begin with something I changed.
HANGERS.
The one thing that multiplies in this place are hangers - clothes brought in on them, brought back out stuffed in their suitcase, I inherit the hangers. Because I try to be economically conscientous (aka thrifty, aka most bang for my buck) it is hard to just toss them away. I have stayed at inns with a couple wiry horrible hangers and no drawer space and it puts me off.
So after staying at a forum member inn, seeing nice wooden hangers ONLY in the closet I gave away all the other plastic (storebought and other) hangers and put ALL WOOD (same stained color) in every closet/wardrobe, except for some lingerie hangers three per room.
Something simple, but it just seemed a bit more upscale to me, so I did it. Has anyone ever commented on this? No, of course not, it is just something I did that made me feel good in the room presentation..
Yes wood hangers are a great idea. I have them here too and they look great. I am always getting the leftover hangers people leave and I always take those out of the room and put them in the recyling with scrap metal. No one ever wants those and they are ugly. I also like all the hanger pushed to one side of the closet rod. I've seen some places that have their hangers scattered over the rod and that really bugs me.

another thing I did that was simple and I have no idea if a guest ever uses much, was put a pack of cards, small notepad and pen in each room (together). We enjoyed playing cards once, because they were there, not in a library or anything, just in the room on the desk/dresser..
I stayed at a lovely place and they had scratch pads with their logo & info printed on them. They're kind of expensive, but the next time I had printing done, I had them create scratch pads for me. Guests loved them. I'm now out of them and looking for a cheaper supplier. They only have 20 sheets on each pad.
Note pads are a great idea with the logo on them printed professionally. I am hoping to do this as well. We just use a local printer for all our printing stuff. I know that guests will like having them.

Little Blue said:
The whole point of having them is another way to help the "brand", so it also has to look professional. Many guests take them and I want them to be reminded of our B&B and their stay every time they see it.
Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
I believe it was the old forum where we had some maniac come on there with massive gripes about a BnB. (My memory is prob missing facts here so just the gist) -- in the end it came down to the person hated the BnB and a huge gripe was there was no personalized stationary in the room. We all about fell over when we read that. One forum member contacted the innkeepers to let them know a past guest was badmouthing their place (as a courtesy, after all we are innkeepers!)
In the end it came down to the innkeeper's husband had DIED in the middle of renovations, they also had rental properties, she had a child and was expecting the second when HE UP AND DIED.
It really broke our hearts how cruel and selfish some guests can be. I think we took a vote that day and asked Who here/there had personalized stationary? Where was this pertrubed guest getting this idea from? And only a couple did have it. He was a very nasty man to go searching for places to bad mouth this inn. The room was not expensive or overpriced at all.
repeated post

Little Blue said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
I believe it was the old forum where we had some maniac come on there with massive gripes about a BnB. (My memory is prob missing facts here so just the gist) -- in the end it came down to the person hated the BnB and a huge gripe was there was no personalized stationary in the room. We all about fell over when we read that. One forum member contacted the innkeepers to let them know a past guest was badmouthing their place (as a courtesy, after all we are innkeepers!)
In the end it came down to the innkeeper's husband had DIED in the middle of renovations, they also had rental properties, she had a child and was expecting the second when HE UP AND DIED.
It really broke our hearts how cruel and selfish some guests can be. I think we took a vote that day and asked Who here/there had personalized stationary? Where was this pertrubed guest getting this idea from? And only a couple did have it. He was a very nasty man to go searching for places to bad mouth this inn. The room was not expensive or overpriced at all.
Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
What a disturbing story. Does anybody know how she is doing now? I just don't get people sometimes.
As far as stationary goes, somehow I don't consider a scratch pad stationary and I certainly wouldn't expect it. Geez, you don't even get stationary in 5* hotels anymore!
Does anybody know how she is doing now?
She posted to tell us her story but did not stay around long. I think she was in PA.
I had notecards printed with my name & logo on the front with our name on the envelopes and put them in the drawers in every nightstand or dresser. They were rarely used or taken. I do not put them out any more.
We have had guests who sat around the dining room table playing cards and I got them score paper and pencils.

Little Blue said:
NO, the whole point of MY having them is so the guest has something to write on. I could care less about putting my name and logo on everything in the room. Guests will and do remember us regardless of whether our note pads have our name and logo on them.
IF I have to count on them to remember us from the stationery, I'm doing something wrong.
Little Blue said:
geez, don't take it so personally. Branding is part of how we come across (my inn) to our guests and that we do things professionally. They are impressed. They like it. Only certain items have our logo on them and they are NOT on everything in the room. In my inn I'm putting out a professional product and trying to separate us from the "granny's room down the hallway" image. That's part of who we are and the image we want to portray or brand. Branding is part of a strategic plan...if it's not right for you, no problem.
And NO, I'm not saying that your place is like "granny's room down the hall". I'm just using that phrase as a stereotype example.

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
geez, don't take it so personally. Branding is part of how we come across (my inn) to our guests and that we do things professionally. They are impressed. They like it. Only certain items have our logo on them and they are NOT on everything in the room. In my inn I'm putting out a professional product and trying to separate us from the "granny's room down the hallway" image. That's part of who we are and the image we want to portray or brand. Branding is part of a strategic plan...if it's not right for you, no problem.
And NO, I'm not saying that your place is like "granny's room down the hall". I'm just using that phrase as a stereotype example.
It is OK. I am Granny - ask my 8 grandchildren - and I do understand your branding and that is not a put-down to me and my more laid-back. We are ALL professional - OK, in view of the tirade I just wrote, most of us are.
For me, it was having my brochures printed on a very heavy paper. It will not go through the folding machines. It was my way of conveying that we are a place of quality (we may be in Podunk, but we are quality) by the feel of the paper. My branding is running around in my bib apron with my logo emblazoned on it and I am known as the "muffin lady".

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
It is OK. I am Granny - ask my 8 grandchildren - and I do understand your branding and that is not a put-down to me and my more laid-back. We are ALL professional - OK, in view of the tirade I just wrote, most of us are.
For me, it was having my brochures printed on a very heavy paper. It will not go through the folding machines. It was my way of conveying that we are a place of quality (we may be in Podunk, but we are quality) by the feel of the paper. My branding is running around in my bib apron with my logo emblazoned on it and I am known as the "muffin lady".
"it is OK. I am Granny - ask my 8 grandchildren - and I do understand your branding and that is not a put-down to me and my more laid-back. We are ALL professional - OK, in view of the tirade I just wrote, most of us are."
Thanks Kathleen....and by the way I wasn't calling you or anyone else here unprofessional (and I know you know that).

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
"it is OK. I am Granny - ask my 8 grandchildren - and I do understand your branding and that is not a put-down to me and my more laid-back. We are ALL professional - OK, in view of the tirade I just wrote, most of us are."
Thanks Kathleen....and by the way I wasn't calling you or anyone else here unprofessional (and I know you know that).
I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew that!

HANGERS.
The one thing that multiplies in this place are hangers - clothes brought in on them, brought back out stuffed in their suitcase, I inherit the hangers. Because I try to be economically conscientous (aka thrifty, aka most bang for my buck) it is hard to just toss them away. I have stayed at inns with a couple wiry horrible hangers and no drawer space and it puts me off.
So after staying at a forum member inn, seeing nice wooden hangers ONLY in the closet I gave away all the other plastic (storebought and other) hangers and put ALL WOOD (same stained color) in every closet/wardrobe, except for some lingerie hangers three per room.
Something simple, but it just seemed a bit more upscale to me, so I did it. Has anyone ever commented on this? No, of course not, it is just something I did that made me feel good in the room presentation..
Yes wood hangers are a great idea. I have them here too and they look great. I am always getting the leftover hangers people leave and I always take those out of the room and put them in the recyling with scrap metal. No one ever wants those and they are ugly. I also like all the hanger pushed to one side of the closet rod. I've seen some places that have their hangers scattered over the rod and that really bugs me.
oceans said:
You are so funny. YES WE HAVE INNKEEPER OCD! That is one thing that bugs me too, scattered hangers, it is like a partially open drawer or towels not hung evenly. Close it tight. Make sure the hangers are all tight to the right or left.
tounge_smile.gif

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
I love all that stuff. As a kid I requested getting a Christmas stocking with neat notepads and pens. I love stationary sets, I love cards. In my next life I might be the restocker of the hallmark cards or something. I would buy most of them.
Before we moved in I already had the stationary and pens - logo'd and ready to go. In fact the box of 1000 or more (I can't recall) is finally to the bottom. I used to have a pile of pens in each room so they could take some. When the stationary ran out, letter head and envelopes and notepads I did not renew them, but that was before knowing about VISTA print.
Branding is cool. I have tshirts and other memorabilia, because we are a business, we have a slogan (we actually have a few slogans, I am slogan happy and can't stick to one - although ONE is the main one).
I have a tshirt that says "There is nothing continental about our breakfasts" another that says "Comfort Happens" and our main slogan "Life is too short for bad coffee" with our inn name, etc.
Again, I enjoy this sort of thing, it is the fun part of innkeeping in my estimation.

HANGERS.
oceans said:
You are so funny. YES WE HAVE INNKEEPER OCD! That is one thing that bugs me too, scattered hangers, it is like a partially open drawer or towels not hung evenly. Close it tight. Make sure the hangers are all tight to the right or left.
tounge_smile.gif

Haha! I do that too! "Innkeeper's OCD"....a new term for the glossary ;-)

HANGERS.
Joe Bloggs said:
HANGERS.
Something simple, but it just seemed a bit more upscale to me, so I did it.
hmmm....I have the opposite problem. My hangers disappear and the horrible wire ones are left. I've got the plastic ones so it's no big deal, but I'd be afraid if I used wooden ones, those would disappear too. It's annoying.
We also use the wooden hangers. An yes some of them disappear, but our local Home Despot frequently has them really cheap (a little over 50 cents each).

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
You said "The whole point of having them is another way to help the "brand", so it also has to look professional." Just sounded like you were saying there was no point in providing them if they weren't branded. I was explaining that my entire reason for providing them was guest related and not marketing related.
Just a different way of doing things, and nothing was taken personally on this end! :)

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
Just a thought...I wonder how much branding ourselves leads to the idea by some guests that B&Bs are the similar in form and structure to chain motels, thereby causing them to think we should allow heavy discounts just because they ask and all the other BS we get from the general public.
We have to be careful to distinguish ourselves from other types of lodging or the expectations will be the same.

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
Just a thought...I wonder how much branding ourselves leads to the idea by some guests that B&Bs are the similar in form and structure to chain motels, thereby causing them to think we should allow heavy discounts just because they ask and all the other BS we get from the general public.
We have to be careful to distinguish ourselves from other types of lodging or the expectations will be the same.
I know what you're saying, but I seriously doubt that whatever a small B&B does with branding will ever be seen as crossing the line to motel/hotel.
If your thought is correct, you would see your repeat guests expecting big discounts since they are the ones that have witnessed the branding during their stay. That just doesn't happen here in our experience.
I recently had a return guest contact me to see if I would give her a large discount. I posted about it here because it threw me for a loop...I just don't get asked that question often. I don't give a repeat discount yet I have a large repeat base. I also don't run specials except rarely the last minute webervations special for $10, but that's usually when I've gotten a last minute cancellation.
The ones that we encounter wanting cheap rooms/discounts are those that have somehow found us in a local magazine or gps and have never seen our website or know what we're all about. They are almost always last minute and if they don't want to pay my rate, I'll help them with a name of other lodging in the area.

Little Blue said:
Little Blue said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Little Blue said:
I know what you're saying, but I seriously doubt that whatever a small B&B does with branding will ever be seen as crossing the line to motel/hotel.
If your thought is correct, you would see your repeat guests expecting big discounts since they are the ones that have witnessed the branding during their stay. That just doesn't happen here in our experience.
I recently had a return guest contact me to see if I would give her a large discount. I posted about it here because it threw me for a loop...I just don't get asked that question often. I don't give a repeat discount yet I have a large repeat base. I also don't run specials except rarely the last minute webervations special for $10, but that's usually when I've gotten a last minute cancellation.
The ones that we encounter wanting cheap rooms/discounts are those that have somehow found us in a local magazine or gps and have never seen our website or know what we're all about. They are almost always last minute and if they don't want to pay my rate, I'll help them with a name of other lodging in the area.
Breakfast Diva said:
... if they don't want to pay my rate, I'll help them with a name of other lodging in the area.
I do the same, but refer them to the Inn that's more expensive than us!

We have started putting a large thermos of coffee outside the rooms very early in the morning for the early risers with a big comfortable chair beside the table. The guests can then take their coffee back to their rooms or sit with a book or newspaper and not disturb their spouse. The guests love not having to come downstairs for their coffee and many of them will get a cup and go back to bed then get up for a late breakfast.
I also love wooden roses for the rooms and special packages for the guests to take home. Tie your business card on the rose with a pretty ribbon and the guests will keep as a reminder of their stay..
Where do you get wooden roses?? Sounds like something that might work here.
you can order them online from several place. I love an arrangement in the rooms - they look real and with a rose scented spray, they smell real - for a while anyway. They are inexpensive and a great add-on for a package. I use real filler and greens or treated ones to fill out the arrangement. A rose on the pillow tied with a ribbon and a business card looks great if you do turn down service. You can always try ebay for some but you will need to buy several dozen. I get them in the colors that look real to me and work with the rooms. Husbands love these as a gift for birthdays and anniversaries - I call them the "forever roses" . I purchase an inexpensive vase, use a dozen roses with filler and a ribbon. I usually get $24.00 for an arrangement that cost me less than $5.00 to make.

We have started putting a large thermos of coffee outside the rooms very early in the morning for the early risers with a big comfortable chair beside the table. The guests can then take their coffee back to their rooms or sit with a book or newspaper and not disturb their spouse. The guests love not having to come downstairs for their coffee and many of them will get a cup and go back to bed then get up for a late breakfast.
I also love wooden roses for the rooms and special packages for the guests to take home. Tie your business card on the rose with a pretty ribbon and the guests will keep as a reminder of their stay..
Where do you get wooden roses?? Sounds like something that might work here.
you can order them online from several place. I love an arrangement in the rooms - they look real and with a rose scented spray, they smell real - for a while anyway. They are inexpensive and a great add-on for a package. I use real filler and greens or treated ones to fill out the arrangement. A rose on the pillow tied with a ribbon and a business card looks great if you do turn down service. You can always try ebay for some but you will need to buy several dozen. I get them in the colors that look real to me and work with the rooms. Husbands love these as a gift for birthdays and anniversaries - I call them the "forever roses" . I purchase an inexpensive vase, use a dozen roses with filler and a ribbon. I usually get $24.00 for an arrangement that cost me less than $5.00 to make.
kattrin said:
Sounds like another dust collector. More cleaning?

Since I read every post ever posted at the predecessor forum, I'd say at least 90% of what I do was stolen from someone somewhere. As far as actual visits...
  • Curtains with a metal hold back... easy to close for privacy but elegant. (Surprise Kathleen! I got that from you!)
  • Putting the computer code in the desk drawer. (Duh!)
  • Electric outlet near bed (that's from the B&B's that don't have them!).
I don't have to stay in a place to get great ideas. I got a lot of my ideas when I was in my research stage and some kind innkeepers gave me tours of their inns
  • Don't fill the bath salts all the way up
  • Have some fun and unexpected touches. (One guy had a beta fish.)
  • Work with the incoming freshman families and reserve graduation and parents weekends 3 or 4 years in advance... which allows you to pick and choose which families get to stay (pitas are much further down the "waiting" list)
=)
Kk.

Back