One thing you would do this year to bring in more guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Folks, I am running the verbiage past you. Have at it!
Do you love coffee? Gillum House Bed & Breakfast has decided 2010 is the year of the COFFEE. Any 2-consecutive night or longer reservation may choose a country of coffee of green coffee beans from the current in-house list and we will do one roast for you as a gift of the Gillum House. (We will grind it for you if you do not have a coffee grinder.).
I'm confused. I know what you're saying but it's too convoluted.
Coffee on My Mind:
We are all about coffee at Gillum House. Coffee from (list a bunch of countries here). Savor it during your breakfast with us and remember your stay with a pound of your favorite coffee, compliments of Gillum House with your 2-night stay.
Sorry, just realized you didn't say 'pound'. So, whatever your amount is, put it in the sentence. Like Bob said, No one knows what a 'roast' is so tell them in ounces or pounds or cups.
See why I put it here first? Thank you.
Revised revision:

We are all about coffee at Gillum House Bed & Breakfast. Coffee from Brazil, Panama, Kenya, Hawaii, New Guinea, Peru – approximately 16 countries of regular green coffee beans in house (4 Decafe). Savor it during your breakfast with us and remember your stay with enough fresh-roasted of your favorite coffee for two 10–12 cup pots of coffee at home, compliments of the Gillum House with your 2-night stay.
gillumhouse said:
Revised revision:
We are all about coffee at Gillum House Bed & Breakfast. Coffee from Brazil, Panama, Kenya, Hawaii, New Guinea, Peru – approximately 16 countries of regular green coffee beans in house (4 Decafe). Savor it during your breakfast with us and remember your stay with enough fresh-roasted of your favorite coffee for two 10–12 cup pots of coffee at home, compliments of the Gillum House with your 2-night stay.
Okay, sorry have to add my 2 cents -
You have some cool mugs - you have to give them the mug AND the coffee.
I also disagree with "with enough fresh-roasted of your favorite coffee for two 10–12 cup pots of coffee at home," I would just be more specific, no need to weigh and spell it out for them.
Then there is - drum roll please - the bulleting. Take the guess work out and bullet what they get on a list. :)
Can there be something catchy like "If you love coffee you will savor your stay at The Gillum House" this would seem inviting those coffee lovers to try it out!
Coffee to savor at home and complimentary Gillum House Cloth and Clay Mugs for Two - hand drawn and designed by your host's husband John. (or however you word if he is the host or not)
Your choice of of two:
  • Kenya
  • Brazil
  • Panama
  • Peru

Man, I would love to get that fourth room producing, especially for the busy summer and fall seasons. Could do it for about $5,000.00. Just have to determine how little space D. and I can get by with and still be happy doing this.
IE...We could make our living room also our bedroom, and with some minor painting and the addition of a fireplace and TV, our bedroom could be put into inventory as one of two shared bath rooms. I have a downstairs bathroom that is very large and could be turned into two smaller bathrooms. This means we could have our own bath with it's own convenient private entrance from the kitchen.
Might be a fair trade for us....$10k or so in additional income in exchange for our own bathroom and a chance to sleep away from guest rooms. The downside would be that aside from the kitchen, our personal space would be a 14x14 room for sleeping and living..
Little Blue said:
Might be a fair trade for us....$10k or so in additional income in exchange for our own bathroom and a chance to sleep away from guest rooms. The downside would be that aside from the kitchen, our personal space would be a 14x14 room for sleeping and living.
Yes, but if it gives you enough additional revenue on the weekends, it might also give you the ability to shutter up a few days at a time to get some breaks. A nice trade-off.

Man, I would love to get that fourth room producing, especially for the busy summer and fall seasons. Could do it for about $5,000.00. Just have to determine how little space D. and I can get by with and still be happy doing this.
IE...We could make our living room also our bedroom, and with some minor painting and the addition of a fireplace and TV, our bedroom could be put into inventory as one of two shared bath rooms. I have a downstairs bathroom that is very large and could be turned into two smaller bathrooms. This means we could have our own bath with it's own convenient private entrance from the kitchen.
Might be a fair trade for us....$10k or so in additional income in exchange for our own bathroom and a chance to sleep away from guest rooms. The downside would be that aside from the kitchen, our personal space would be a 14x14 room for sleeping and living..
IF you continue on with a plan to sell down the road, think how this will affect the resale value. I think most of us here have said how important it is to have your own private quarters and one 14 x14 room wouldn't be appealing to many people...just something to think about. Also, you can sell your place as a private residence as well if you wanted to.

Do you love coffee? Gillum House Bed & Breakfast has decided 2010 is the year of the COFFEE. Any 2-consecutive night or longer reservation may choose a country of coffee of green coffee beans from the current in-house list and we will do one roast for you as a gift of the Gillum House. (We will grind it for you if you do not have a coffee grinder.).
Coffee on My Mind:
We are all about coffee at Gillum House. Coffee from (list a bunch of countries here). Savor it during your breakfast with us and remember your stay with a pound of your favorite coffee, compliments of Gillum House with your 2-night stay.
Sorry, just realized you didn't say 'pound'. So, whatever your amount is, put it in the sentence. Like Bob said, No one knows what a 'roast' is so tell them in ounces or pounds or cups.
Revised revision:

gillumhouse said:
Revised revision:
I also disagree with "with enough fresh-roasted of your favorite coffee for two 10–12 cup pots of coffee at home," I would just be more specific, no need to weigh and spell it out for them.
Then there is - drum roll please - the bulleting. Take the guess work out and bullet what they get on a list. :)
Can there be something catchy like "If you love coffee you will savor your stay at The Gillum House" this would seem inviting those coffee lovers to try it out!
Coffee to savor at home and complimentary Gillum House Cloth and Clay Mugs for Two - hand drawn and designed by your host's husband John. (or however you word if he is the host or not)
Your choice of of two:
  • Kenya
  • Brazil
  • Panama
  • Peru
Boohoo! No more mugs! The potter pooped out on me and have not found another yet. Called one but he only does 18th century style and that is not what I what for here. John's word in trying to explain it to the proposed potter was "something with a bit of elegance" (18th century frontier is NOT elegance).. Maybe I can find another potter.....

Did you see this article on the smallest apt in NYC? Couple lives in a space that's 175 sq ft. The elevator doesn't even go to their floor, they get off on the floor below and walk up the stairs to what was formerly a 'maid's room' and is now their apt.

I mentioned this in another thread:
Small Elopements / Wedding / Vow Renewal Packages.
This basic one below runs $139 weekdays; $159 Weekends. Packages can be embellished with all sorts of bells and whistles up to $1000.
Our elegant and affordable ceremony with no overnight stay:
Marriage by the innkeeper in the living room, in the garden or at our beautiful outdoor wedding pavilion
Attendance by up to 10 guests at a fee of $10 per guest
Cake for 2 or to include guests
A pair of crystal champagne flutes and sparkling cider toast
Use of our silk rose bouquet for the ceremony and photographs
Keepsake copy of the marriage vows in gold embossed cover
Digital video recording of ceremonies.
I'm not seeing where this makes the innkeepers any money. Unless they have everything on hand- video recording capability, baking of cake, etc. I guess because I'm not set up for this, I look at it as a lot of work. If I had a separate space where I could host these things I definitely would.
Weddings are a lot of work. For inns that can book otherwise, I'd rather have my teeth pulled than deal with them.
But for inns that really need the bookings, they're a great avenue to pursue.
I agree, though, that they need to make money, too. To me they make much more sense when it's the whole weekend booked at X price and it includes X, Y, Z. With a couple of different options.
Weddings are expensive. Brides are looking to save money but they still want a nice wedding. If I were doing them at an inn, I would not hesitate to charge a decent price for the whole package.
IMHO.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Weddings are a lot of work. For inns that can book otherwise, I'd rather have my teeth pulled than deal with them.
I agree, though, that they need to make money, too. To me they make much more sense when it's the whole weekend booked at X price and it includes X, Y, Z. With a couple of different options.
Weddings are expensive. Brides are looking to save money but they still want a nice wedding. If I were doing them at an inn, I would not hesitate to charge a decent price for the whole package.
IMHO.
I do not plan to do weddings. I plan to do private vineyard wedding ceremonies. They get the inn, location for ceremony, they get the officiant from my list of contact links. I provide a beautiful cake that starts at $30 for a six inch with beautiful marzipan icing with a rose or a grape cluster (I don't plan to tell the bakery it's now a wedding cake from the birthday cake), flowers for bride and groom which will be seasonal and a list of colors from which they pick, bottle of champagne and a gift. Period. No mother of the bride contacting me for anything. I will purchase a good camera and do the photos like a friend of mine does, or I have a local photographer that can come for a good price.
They will pick options off a menu or they will not get married here.
Riki
egoodell said:
I No mother of the bride contacting me for anything.
Riki, I hope that works out for you. But I just have to say that it is generally not easy to keep the mother of the bride from contacting you. They're going to. In my experience, anyway.
It's an important day. They are going to follow up over and over again on everything.
It's the nature of the beast.
Innkeeper To Go said:
egoodell said:
Riki, I hope that works out for you. But I just have to say that it is generally not easy to keep the mother of the bride from contacting you. They're going to. In my experience, anyway.
It's an important day. They are going to follow up over and over again on everything.
You are not understanding me. I am not doing weddings. I am doing affordable vineyard ceremonies.
I am going to do just a bit more than El's friend does in Luray.
I will not be dealing with parents. I have a friend in Maggie Valley NC who started doing the same thing and it has been very sucessful. I will be marrying couples who want a lovely vineyard wedding ceremony, and the majority of the time is is just the two getting married.
I am NOT doing any kind of reception. I am doing champagne, flowers, cake and a gift.
Before you say how do I know this, I know this because I am the only B&B in Charlottesville with a vineyard. The vineyard weddings here are in wineries and the cost STARTS at $30K and goes beyond 90K.
Anyone who wants more than I want to deal with can go to the wineries and pay the $100 - $150 per person for the weddings there.
I am only doing vineyard ceremonies from my menu where all they pick is the color of their flowers, and they will be responsible for picking the officient. Parents and guests may attend, but are not involved with the planning.
I know B&Bs that do weddings here. I will not. We have our hands full doing the tours as it is.
If they don't like sticking to the menu that I will provide, I have no problems letting them go somewhere else.
RIki

Coffee on My Mind:
Revised revision:

gillumhouse said:
Revised revision:
Your choice of of two:
  • Kenya
  • Brazil
  • Panama
  • Peru
Boohoo! No more mugs! The potter pooped out on me and have not found another yet. Called one but he only does 18th century style and that is not what I what for here. John's word in trying to explain it to the proposed potter was "something with a bit of elegance" (18th century frontier is NOT elegance).. Maybe I can find another potter.....
gillumhouse said:
OH! I thought you had an entirely new order you got. Sorry, that is a shame, that would have gone so well. But a big chunk to outlay to get new ones now.

This basic one below runs $139 weekdays; $159 Weekends. Packages can be embellished with all sorts of bells and whistles up to $1000.
Marriage by the innkeeper in the living room, in the garden or at our beautiful outdoor wedding pavilion
I'm not seeing where this makes the innkeepers any money. Unless they have everything on hand- video recording capability, baking of cake, etc. I guess because I'm not set up for this, I look at it as a lot of work. If I had a separate space where I could host these things I definitely would.
IMHO.
Innkeeper To Go said:
IMHO.
I do not plan to do weddings. I plan to do private vineyard wedding ceremonies. They get the inn, location for ceremony, they get the officiant from my list of contact links. I provide a beautiful cake that starts at $30 for a six inch with beautiful marzipan icing with a rose or a grape cluster (I don't plan to tell the bakery it's now a wedding cake from the birthday cake), flowers for bride and groom which will be seasonal and a list of colors from which they pick, bottle of champagne and a gift. Period. No mother of the bride contacting me for anything. I will purchase a good camera and do the photos like a friend of mine does, or I have a local photographer that can come for a good price.
Riki
egoodell said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
egoodell said:
You are not understanding me. I am not doing weddings. I am doing affordable vineyard ceremonies.
I will not be dealing with parents. I have a friend in Maggie Valley NC who started doing the same thing and it has been very sucessful. I will be marrying couples who want a lovely vineyard wedding ceremony, and the majority of the time is is just the two getting married.
I am NOT doing any kind of reception. I am doing champagne, flowers, cake and a gift.
Before you say how do I know this, I know this because I am the only B&B in Charlottesville with a vineyard. The vineyard weddings here are in wineries and the cost STARTS at $30K and goes beyond 90K.
Anyone who wants more than I want to deal with can go to the wineries and pay the $100 - $150 per person for the weddings there.
I am only doing vineyard ceremonies from my menu where all they pick is the color of their flowers, and they will be responsible for picking the officient. Parents and guests may attend, but are not involved with the planning.
I know B&Bs that do weddings here. I will not. We have our hands full doing the tours as it is.
If they don't like sticking to the menu that I will provide, I have no problems letting them go somewhere else.
RIki
Riki, that sounds like a plan! I like it.
Now I have a question - will you provide a list of officiants? I mean, do you feel these bride and groom will be from out of the area and need that info or in the area looking for what you have on offer there? What sort of policies (cancellations) will you have in place, typically they book the 'place' then find the officiant etc.

IMHO.
Innkeeper To Go said:
IMHO.
Riki
egoodell said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Now I have a question - will you provide a list of officiants? I mean, do you feel these bride and groom will be from out of the area and need that info or in the area looking for what you have on offer there? What sort of policies (cancellations) will you have in place, typically they book the 'place' then find the officiant etc.
I have another friend who specializes in weddings locally. See what she does here. She has more than she can handle..but loves doing it. She provides lists for officiciants and suggests some she knows, she puts them in contact with caters if she feels she can't provide what they want.

IMHO.
Innkeeper To Go said:
IMHO.
Riki
egoodell said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Joey Bloggs said:
They will pay a non refundable deposit and the balance before they come. I'm copying other B&Bs policies since weddings can be so inconsistant. There are plenty who want vineyard weddings so that I should be able to pick and choose.
RIki
Yes, I am researching that right now. We have one that seems to be a team player that specializes in whatever the guest wants, I also found out the sheriff can do weddings too. I have to research some religious officiants now. I hope to get their permission to give their links.
I don't want them contacting anyone who is not reliable.
This is why my friend in NC does the ceremonies herself. She had an officiant cancel on her just before a wedding
Riki

morticia - reminds me of the old movie, barefoot in the park - robert redford and jane fonda and their tiny apartment and the guy who lived upstairs
kathleen - i love the coffee idea - can they take tea if they prefer?
but also PROMOTE that bread! you give it away already!!!!
can you re-sell the coffee? can you sell that bread? (can you tell i love great coffee and home baked bread, fresh from the oven??) yumm

morticia - reminds me of the old movie, barefoot in the park - robert redford and jane fonda and their tiny apartment and the guy who lived upstairs
can you re-sell the coffee? can you sell that bread? (can you tell i love great coffee and home baked bread, fresh from the oven??) yumm.
My original plan was to put coffee in a poly bag in a cup as an item for sale. Then the cups sold so fast I did not have a chance to do that.
The good news is I talked to my potter yesterday and he is almost ready to start potting again. I told him I want 4 dozen to start with. Just scratch my original order and start over with the order for 4 doz. I told him I also need a quote for the "special" mugs I want to try selling. They will be expensive so I want to do a "test" before doing an order of any size for them. See below.
The tea is a lot more expensive - 3 oz of tea costs more than a pound of green coffee beans.
lrg_Facemug.jpg

well then, tea is out because if it's cost prohibitive it's not helpful.
but that's great news about the mugs. i love mugs. my stepson gave me one from his college bookstore with the name of the school carved into the side. it's not from a potter (too bad) but mass produced. still, it's nice looking.
i also love those crocks someone shared a link to - not sure who - with the little covers. and i love the mugs with the flat lids - haven't seen them in a long time. for keeping your tea or coffee warm and you can put it under the mug as a coaster. LOVE THEM!
it's a great strategy to do a cross promotion with the potter if he has a site and will put 'as used in' your b&b.
i cannot recall the terminology for this but when you have something as a promotion, like the free coffee gift with a two night stay and then you offer for sale the mugs, etc. and FREE is a big draw. sounds great!

can you re-sell the coffee? can you sell that bread? (can you tell i love great coffee and home baked bread, fresh from the oven??) yumm.
My original plan was to put coffee in a poly bag in a cup as an item for sale. Then the cups sold so fast I did not have a chance to do that.
The good news is I talked to my potter yesterday and he is almost ready to start potting again. I told him I want 4 dozen to start with. Just scratch my original order and start over with the order for 4 doz. I told him I also need a quote for the "special" mugs I want to try selling. They will be expensive so I want to do a "test" before doing an order of any size for them. See below.
The tea is a lot more expensive - 3 oz of tea costs more than a pound of green coffee beans.
lrg_Facemug.jpg

Wow. What a fabulous coffee cup! Who wouldn't want that? Especially if it comes with coffee beans!

lrg_Facemug.jpg

Wow. What a fabulous coffee cup! Who wouldn't want that? Especially if it comes with coffee beans!
This is not the free cup. This is the pricy one I am wanting to "test" the waters with - to see if people would actually buy it. I paid $65 for this cup several years ago. I would probably have to sell it for $75 IF the price he quoted me wholesale a couple years ago still holds.
Looks as if I deleted the other cup photo.

lrg_Facemug.jpg

This is not the free cup. This is the pricy one I am wanting to "test" the waters with - to see if people would actually buy it. I paid $65 for this cup several years ago. I would probably have to sell it for $75 IF the price he quoted me wholesale a couple years ago still holds.
It's pretty fabulous at any price. And who knows, in today's market he may give you a better price. Especially in bulk...

lrg_Facemug.jpg

It's pretty fabulous at any price. And who knows, in today's market he may give you a better price. Especially in bulk...
I will probably order up to 5 depending on the price to start with as a test to see how long they take to sell. It will have a small "medallion" on the opposite side with my B & B name on it and I would put 1/4 pound of coffee in it too.

lrg_Facemug.jpg

I will probably order up to 5 depending on the price to start with as a test to see how long they take to sell. It will have a small "medallion" on the opposite side with my B & B name on it and I would put 1/4 pound of coffee in it too.
Very smart.

Coffee on My Mind:
Revised revision:

I like this idea. How about putting the focus more on the special service for the customer here? Maybe like:
We are all about coffee at Gillum House Bed and Breakfast. We roast our own. We stock beans from Brazil, Panama, Kenya, Hawaii--usually about 16 countries in house!
Savor it with your breakfast here, and this year we want to do something special for you!. Now you may reminisce about your stay here with over your favorite coffee at home.
Our gift to you will be one special roast, approximately 4oz, which will make about two pots of coffee. You may select your favorite beans, and your favorite roast. You can even watch as it is done! Compliments of the Gillum House with your 2-night stay.

Coffee on My Mind:
Revised revision:

I like this idea. How about putting the focus more on the special service for the customer here? Maybe like:
We are all about coffee at Gillum House Bed and Breakfast. We roast our own. We stock beans from Brazil, Panama, Kenya, Hawaii--usually about 16 countries in house!
Savor it with your breakfast here, and this year we want to do something special for you!. Now you may reminisce about your stay here with over your favorite coffee at home.
Our gift to you will be one special roast, approximately 4oz, which will make about two pots of coffee. You may select your favorite beans, and your favorite roast. You can even watch as it is done! Compliments of the Gillum House with your 2-night stay.
Thanks. I like that - except they will not watch unless I move the roaster - my kitchen/laundry is not a place I really want guests. Something to think about. Would need a heat shield under it if moved to Dining room and that is running out of space!

Back