One thing you would do this year to bring in more guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
morticia - reminds me of the old movie, barefoot in the park - robert redford and jane fonda and their tiny apartment and the guy who lived upstairs
kathleen - i love the coffee idea - can they take tea if they prefer?
but also PROMOTE that bread! you give it away already!!!!
can you re-sell the coffee? can you sell that bread? (can you tell i love great coffee and home baked bread, fresh from the oven??) yumm.
My original plan was to put coffee in a poly bag in a cup as an item for sale. Then the cups sold so fast I did not have a chance to do that.
The good news is I talked to my potter yesterday and he is almost ready to start potting again. I told him I want 4 dozen to start with. Just scratch my original order and start over with the order for 4 doz. I told him I also need a quote for the "special" mugs I want to try selling. They will be expensive so I want to do a "test" before doing an order of any size for them. See below.
The tea is a lot more expensive - 3 oz of tea costs more than a pound of green coffee beans.
lrg_Facemug.jpg

Wow. What a fabulous coffee cup! Who wouldn't want that? Especially if it comes with coffee beans!
This is not the free cup. This is the pricy one I am wanting to "test" the waters with - to see if people would actually buy it. I paid $65 for this cup several years ago. I would probably have to sell it for $75 IF the price he quoted me wholesale a couple years ago still holds.
Looks as if I deleted the other cup photo.
Sorry..but there would be no way I would pay $75 for a mug.

morticia - reminds me of the old movie, barefoot in the park - robert redford and jane fonda and their tiny apartment and the guy who lived upstairs
can you re-sell the coffee? can you sell that bread? (can you tell i love great coffee and home baked bread, fresh from the oven??) yumm.
My original plan was to put coffee in a poly bag in a cup as an item for sale. Then the cups sold so fast I did not have a chance to do that.
The good news is I talked to my potter yesterday and he is almost ready to start potting again. I told him I want 4 dozen to start with. Just scratch my original order and start over with the order for 4 doz. I told him I also need a quote for the "special" mugs I want to try selling. They will be expensive so I want to do a "test" before doing an order of any size for them. See below.
The tea is a lot more expensive - 3 oz of tea costs more than a pound of green coffee beans.
lrg_Facemug.jpg

Wow. What a fabulous coffee cup! Who wouldn't want that? Especially if it comes with coffee beans!
This is not the free cup. This is the pricy one I am wanting to "test" the waters with - to see if people would actually buy it. I paid $65 for this cup several years ago. I would probably have to sell it for $75 IF the price he quoted me wholesale a couple years ago still holds.
Looks as if I deleted the other cup photo.
Sorry..but there would be no way I would pay $75 for a mug.
Me either but I did pay $65 for this one as a gift to DH for Chgristmas because it was different! That says something because I am Madam Tightwad! As with everything else, there are things people pay a fortune for that I never would.... My daughter told me I probably think she is crazy for spending $600 per to have her dogs' teeth cleaned. Told her it is HER money to spend as she chooses. They are her "boys". I have spent a fortune on my kids and my husband because I think they are worth it.
DH was worth buying the mug for - because he LIKED it!

lrg_Facemug.jpg

I like this mug too. Makes you happy to look at him! I like the tea option too. Don't know what tea you use/sell, but maybe look for something that is good at a lower price point? My favorite is Barry's Gold Blend from Ireland. (Again, sorry to bore you all, but I used to sell this. I got it thru Skandia Foods out of Chicago. Had people drive over an hour to get it, and had one lady order catering size for he own use!)

I mentioned this in another thread:
Small Elopements / Wedding / Vow Renewal Packages.
This basic one below runs $139 weekdays; $159 Weekends. Packages can be embellished with all sorts of bells and whistles up to $1000.
Our elegant and affordable ceremony with no overnight stay:
Marriage by the innkeeper in the living room, in the garden or at our beautiful outdoor wedding pavilion
Attendance by up to 10 guests at a fee of $10 per guest
Cake for 2 or to include guests
A pair of crystal champagne flutes and sparkling cider toast
Use of our silk rose bouquet for the ceremony and photographs
Keepsake copy of the marriage vows in gold embossed cover
Digital video recording of ceremonies.
I'm not seeing where this makes the innkeepers any money. Unless they have everything on hand- video recording capability, baking of cake, etc. I guess because I'm not set up for this, I look at it as a lot of work. If I had a separate space where I could host these things I definitely would.
Weddings are a lot of work. For inns that can book otherwise, I'd rather have my teeth pulled than deal with them.
But for inns that really need the bookings, they're a great avenue to pursue.
I agree, though, that they need to make money, too. To me they make much more sense when it's the whole weekend booked at X price and it includes X, Y, Z. With a couple of different options.
Weddings are expensive. Brides are looking to save money but they still want a nice wedding. If I were doing them at an inn, I would not hesitate to charge a decent price for the whole package.
IMHO.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Weddings are a lot of work. For inns that can book otherwise, I'd rather have my teeth pulled than deal with them.
But for inns that really need the bookings, they're a great avenue to pursue.
I agree, though, that they need to make money, too. To me they make much more sense when it's the whole weekend booked at X price and it includes X, Y, Z. With a couple of different options.
Weddings are expensive. Brides are looking to save money but they still want a nice wedding. If I were doing them at an inn, I would not hesitate to charge a decent price for the whole package.
IMHO.
I do not plan to do weddings. I plan to do private vineyard wedding ceremonies. They get the inn, location for ceremony, they get the officiant from my list of contact links. I provide a beautiful cake that starts at $30 for a six inch with beautiful marzipan icing with a rose or a grape cluster (I don't plan to tell the bakery it's now a wedding cake from the birthday cake), flowers for bride and groom which will be seasonal and a list of colors from which they pick, bottle of champagne and a gift. Period. No mother of the bride contacting me for anything. I will purchase a good camera and do the photos like a friend of mine does, or I have a local photographer that can come for a good price.
They will pick options off a menu or they will not get married here.
Riki
egoodell said:
I No mother of the bride contacting me for anything.
Riki, I hope that works out for you. But I just have to say that it is generally not easy to keep the mother of the bride from contacting you. They're going to. In my experience, anyway.
It's an important day. They are going to follow up over and over again on everything.
It's the nature of the beast.
Innkeeper To Go said:
egoodell said:
I No mother of the bride contacting me for anything.
Riki, I hope that works out for you. But I just have to say that it is generally not easy to keep the mother of the bride from contacting you. They're going to. In my experience, anyway.
It's an important day. They are going to follow up over and over again on everything.
It's the nature of the beast.
You are not understanding me. I am not doing weddings. I am doing affordable vineyard ceremonies.
I am going to do just a bit more than El's friend does in Luray.
I will not be dealing with parents. I have a friend in Maggie Valley NC who started doing the same thing and it has been very sucessful. I will be marrying couples who want a lovely vineyard wedding ceremony, and the majority of the time is is just the two getting married.
I am NOT doing any kind of reception. I am doing champagne, flowers, cake and a gift.
Before you say how do I know this, I know this because I am the only B&B in Charlottesville with a vineyard. The vineyard weddings here are in wineries and the cost STARTS at $30K and goes beyond 90K.
Anyone who wants more than I want to deal with can go to the wineries and pay the $100 - $150 per person for the weddings there.
I am only doing vineyard ceremonies from my menu where all they pick is the color of their flowers, and they will be responsible for picking the officient. Parents and guests may attend, but are not involved with the planning.
I know B&Bs that do weddings here. I will not. We have our hands full doing the tours as it is.
If they don't like sticking to the menu that I will provide, I have no problems letting them go somewhere else.
RIki
sounds like a plan but make sure you have cancellation policies in place andstick to your guns about what is allowed and what you are willing to do. Otherwise you will end up run ragged.

I have been given a list of online PR Web sites (if DH hasn't hidden it) which you can submit ariticles about your B&B for free advertising and with it comes a link to your web site which will improve your google rankings as well I just have to think of something to write an article about !(if anyone wants the info if I can find it just let me know)

I have been given a list of online PR Web sites (if DH hasn't hidden it) which you can submit ariticles about your B&B for free advertising and with it comes a link to your web site which will improve your google rankings as well I just have to think of something to write an article about !(if anyone wants the info if I can find it just let me know).
Camberley said:
I have been given a list of online PR Web sites (if DH hasn't hidden it) which you can submit ariticles about your B&B for free advertising and with it comes a link to your web site which will improve your google rankings as well I just have to think of something to write an article about !(if anyone wants the info if I can find it just let me know)
I have used this as well, just be careful IF You list any email addresses - anywhere - and even if not, you will get spammed - just to let you know in advance, can't be helped if you use a PR website.
Get those specials out there! That is what the other news sources will likely pick up!

I have been given a list of online PR Web sites (if DH hasn't hidden it) which you can submit ariticles about your B&B for free advertising and with it comes a link to your web site which will improve your google rankings as well I just have to think of something to write an article about !(if anyone wants the info if I can find it just let me know).
Camberley said:
I have used this as well, just be careful IF You list any email addresses - anywhere - and even if not, you will get spammed - just to let you know in advance, can't be helped if you use a PR website.
Get those specials out there! That is what the other news sources will likely pick up!
I am used to the spam I think its the price you pay for the PR and links.

Just added Wi-Fi, voice mail to rooms,a business travel special and in June a 14X36 2 story barn (side yard) for yard events. Thats all for this year. The 3rd room under the Cottage comes in 2 years...Mary in Bridgewater

Just added Wi-Fi, voice mail to rooms,a business travel special and in June a 14X36 2 story barn (side yard) for yard events. Thats all for this year. The 3rd room under the Cottage comes in 2 years...Mary in Bridgewater.
sounds like you have had your hands full! best of luck.
Thank you ...just got back home from city and county zoning offices.Looks like we all got things ironed out.They were going to make difficult but took my drawings, photos,plat,etc..Mary in Bridgewater

Camberley said:
I still haven't figured out how to attract more people here. My town really isn't on the way to anywhere except Detroit, and has 11% unemployment, and built 2 bramd new chain motels just before the economy tanked. Last year I tried a link from main page of University newspaper website (18,000 + students), nada, I just got home from taking cookies and rack cards and special brocures to about a dozen secretaries of University... Administrative Professional's Day falls this week. Do get some bookings from the secretaries for University visiting firemen, so I'm working to cover as many secretaries with the cookie campaign as possible. Also, with my first Vista Print order I got 4000 special rack cards printed up for all incoming freshman package given out by CVB.
My chief referrers are still organic search, state bb association website and paid directories.

Camberley said:
I still haven't figured out how to attract more people here. My town really isn't on the way to anywhere except Detroit, and has 11% unemployment, and built 2 bramd new chain motels just before the economy tanked. Last year I tried a link from main page of University newspaper website (18,000 + students), nada, I just got home from taking cookies and rack cards and special brocures to about a dozen secretaries of University... Administrative Professional's Day falls this week. Do get some bookings from the secretaries for University visiting firemen, so I'm working to cover as many secretaries with the cookie campaign as possible. Also, with my first Vista Print order I got 4000 special rack cards printed up for all incoming freshman package given out by CVB.
My chief referrers are still organic search, state bb association website and paid directories.
I love Vista Print!

This morning the couple from one state away asked the couple from O/S how they found this B&B. I was eavesdropping from my perch in the kitchen as I finished up cooking the main course. The couple from one state away were shocked this couple found the B&B online, and then the O/S couple said "Well how did YOU find them?" On the internet.
DOH!
He told me that was where he found me in case I didn't know. He said he googled and found us, I am sure glad he told me or I would have been clueless!
cry_smile.gif

Crap! This is not the sarcasm thread! Hey what can I say...onenightersville at its best.

Just added Wi-Fi, voice mail to rooms,a business travel special and in June a 14X36 2 story barn (side yard) for yard events. Thats all for this year. The 3rd room under the Cottage comes in 2 years...Mary in Bridgewater.
sounds like you have had your hands full! best of luck.
Thank you ...just got back home from city and county zoning offices.Looks like we all got things ironed out.They were going to make difficult but took my drawings, photos,plat,etc..Mary in Bridgewater
It sounds like this country we build two new bedrooms by moving our living accomodation into the basement (we had to build a basement) and the local officials were a nightmare as we live in a conservation area so are really strict about what you can and cannot have. HOwever my dad beat them to death with examples of each thing we wanted and made them trail round and see them all till they were so tired they would have agreed to anything that made it stop. We got everything we wanted so it was worth the fight. The only thing that is a pain was in exchange we have to put a fire door on every door which is a big expense and we are a victorian building so no standard size doors oh well its probably for the best.

Back