One weird call after another and no bookings.....why???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Is it just me or is this weirdness everywhere?
I am getting a million questions and no reservations. Questions like:
Do you have a DVD player in each room? - no
What level of cable do you offer? - basic
Will you make an exception to your cancellation policy for me? - no
Do you take AAA, Mobile or some other discount program? - no
Lots of tire kickers and no bookings....so is it just me?

I get those calls in clumps, too. Sometimes I think they're folks checking places out that they'd recommend for groups (weddings and stuff) but sometimes they seem like something else. Maybe a lazy travel writer? Maybe a directory of some sort checking information? Maybe a competitor? Who knows.
But yes, they do always strike me as weird. I got several calls like that yesteray afternoon, all within an hour of each other. After that, they stopped. So are they unrelated? Hard to imagine that they are. But most of the time, I'm not able to figure out just exactly they are about.

I got a really long phone call last night with all kinds of questions that I seemed to answer to her satisfaction. She was going to look at the rooms online and pick the one she liked best and book online. Nada.

I've been getting a lot of requests for Jan 2 but nothing. Or booking and canceling right away. The big suite is booked, though, with a wine tour so that's the same as two rooms for me!~
Right now we often do much better with the wine tours than the B&B.
RIki

I think it is the time of year, we get a lot of that in the off-season here. Most of the "20 Questions" people never seem to book, even when I think I've answered everything to their liking. We have many hotels here and they drop down to $60/night in the winter so I think that's where most of them end up booking.

And then, just to make me wrong about wierd calls not booking anything, I got two calls yesterday about 10 minutes apart pumping me about a one night stay and wine tour package for Wednesday, May 12, and they just booked online. Ya never know....!
RIki

I think it is the time of year, we get a lot of that in the off-season here. Most of the "20 Questions" people never seem to book, even when I think I've answered everything to their liking. We have many hotels here and they drop down to $60/night in the winter so I think that's where most of them end up booking..
Rupert said:
Most of the "20 Questions" people never seem to book, even when I think I've answered everything to their liking.
And if they DO finally book, you can count on either: a). them cancelling OR b). them being a giant PITA if they actually arrive!

I think it is the time of year, we get a lot of that in the off-season here. Most of the "20 Questions" people never seem to book, even when I think I've answered everything to their liking. We have many hotels here and they drop down to $60/night in the winter so I think that's where most of them end up booking..
Rupert said:
I think it is the time of year, we get a lot of that in the off-season here. Most of the "20 Questions" people never seem to book, even when I think I've answered everything to their liking. We have many hotels here and they drop down to $60/night in the winter so I think that's where most of them end up booking.
Here, too, the hotels are running between $59-$99 but the specific amenities she wanted they don't have.

It's happening here too and this is NOT our off season! I think it must be directories checking for accuracy or shoppers looking for a bargain but want the world too.

Back