ongoing problems

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many hotels have 1/2 blankets or throws at the bottom of the bed and especially with the new all white bed linen look. If we don't want things damaged then we have to figure out a way to stop the damage. If you do put something on the bed for suitcases then tell the guests that's why it's there. I don't see a problem with it.
Personally I wouldn't put a white cover/duvet/whatever on a bed because of the potential damage. I try to minimize problems and white is a problem and white bed covers are problem generators in my mind.
GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
Many hotels have 1/2 blankets or throws at the bottom of the bed and especially with the new all white bed linen look.
Every hotel we stayed at on our recent trip (5 of them) had those silly, useless throws at the bottom the bed. They're all slippery fabric so they fall off as soon as you touch them and they aren't useful for anything other than decoration. I just couldn't see the point.
Folks really have forgotten the whole point of those bedscarves in the race to outdesign the next guy.
As ginocat wrote, they're really useful in protecting the lovely white duvet covers. But not if they're slippery fabric! That's just silly.
I always folded the duvets at the bottom of the bed and most of them are white. Arrrgh. Then, went away and found the way someone else did it was to fold the quilt at the bottom of the bed and lay the duvet out completely. Easy peasy to wash the quilt! It's worked like a charm.
I do the duvet folded at the end of the bed because it's so much easier to wash the duvet cover than the comforter or quilt. I have spare duvet covers so I don't have to worry about timing when doing a flip. And spare duvet covers take up much less storage space than spare comforters or quilts.
Where do you get duvet covers? I find them so expensive and so cheaply made. I could make my own but I haven't found any really pretty sheets that I like. Altho, I have recently found quilt shops that have 108" bolts of fabric.
Overstock usually has great duvet covers. There's almost always something good on sale.

Many hotels have 1/2 blankets or throws at the bottom of the bed and especially with the new all white bed linen look. If we don't want things damaged then we have to figure out a way to stop the damage. If you do put something on the bed for suitcases then tell the guests that's why it's there. I don't see a problem with it.
Personally I wouldn't put a white cover/duvet/whatever on a bed because of the potential damage. I try to minimize problems and white is a problem and white bed covers are problem generators in my mind.
GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
Many hotels have 1/2 blankets or throws at the bottom of the bed and especially with the new all white bed linen look.
Every hotel we stayed at on our recent trip (5 of them) had those silly, useless throws at the bottom the bed. They're all slippery fabric so they fall off as soon as you touch them and they aren't useful for anything other than decoration. I just couldn't see the point.
Folks really have forgotten the whole point of those bedscarves in the race to outdesign the next guy.
As ginocat wrote, they're really useful in protecting the lovely white duvet covers. But not if they're slippery fabric! That's just silly.
I always folded the duvets at the bottom of the bed and most of them are white. Arrrgh. Then, went away and found the way someone else did it was to fold the quilt at the bottom of the bed and lay the duvet out completely. Easy peasy to wash the quilt! It's worked like a charm.
I do the duvet folded at the end of the bed because it's so much easier to wash the duvet cover than the comforter or quilt. I have spare duvet covers so I don't have to worry about timing when doing a flip. And spare duvet covers take up much less storage space than spare comforters or quilts.
Where do you get duvet covers? I find them so expensive and so cheaply made. I could make my own but I haven't found any really pretty sheets that I like. Altho, I have recently found quilt shops that have 108" bolts of fabric.
I buy them on sale wherever I see them... Loblaws (President's Choice), Sprawlmart, Zellers, HomeSense, Ikea. Some are 100% cotton and I have to get them straight from the dryer onto the duvets or they wrinkle. Some are a poly-cotton blend. Some solids (which are good for spares because they go with a few different rooms) and some in really lovely patterns.
I don't look for sets -- I don't need matching shams or bedskirts since they're just folded at the end of the bed, and just for the cold months at that.
They are so much easier to launder that I'm thinking of switching out the comforters for lighter-weight duvets and using duvet covers on those too. It's a big pain in the butt to dry the big comforters, especially in the winter when I can't line-dry.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
I buy them on sale wherever I see them... Loblaws (President's Choice), Sprawlmart, Zellers, HomeSense, Ikea. Some are 100% cotton and I have to get them straight from the dryer onto the duvets or they wrinkle. Some are a poly-cotton blend. Some solids (which are good for spares because they go with a few different rooms) and some in really lovely patterns.
I don't look for sets -- I don't need matching shams or bedskirts since they're just folded at the end of the bed, and just for the cold months at that.
They are so much easier to launder that I'm thinking of switching out the comforters for lighter-weight duvets and using duvet covers on those too. It's a big pain in the butt to dry the big comforters, especially in the winter when I can't line-dry.
happyjacks said:
They are so much easier to launder
Most European hotels go that way - just a fitted sheet with an appropriate-weight duvet and cover on the top - no top sheet or blanket. Wash the cover and fitted sheet and you're all set. I think some fancy hotels here are also doing that, but I can't recall which brand.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
On everything but the king bed they're a snap. But that king duvet- oy! I should tie the duvet inside the cover so it stays put. It's always crooked. Plus, the duvet itself is about 6" shorter than the cover.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
happyjacks said:
Most European hotels go that way - just a fitted sheet with an appropriate-weight duvet and cover on the top - no top sheet or blanket. Wash the cover and fitted sheet and you're all set. I think some fancy hotels here are also doing that, but I can't recall which brand.
muirford said:
Most European hotels go that way - just a fitted sheet with an appropriate-weight duvet and cover on the top - no top sheet or blanket.
That's how we have our own bed. We find a top sheet uncomfortable, twisty-clingy. Our european and asian guests sometimes remove the top sheet or, more often, sleep on top of the top sheet rather than under it.
But I think I'd keep the top sheet, even after switching to duvets, for the north american guests who are accustomed to having it.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
Overstock usually has great duvet covers. There's almost always something good on sale.
That's where I got most of them. One bunch from the 'Hotel' collection were really good. Zip closures.
The last set I got were awful. Some really 'crunchy' fabric that stains awfully.
This might be a good time to look again.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
happyjacks said:
The Hilton for one. I find it a very sloppy look, tho. The bed looks awful in photos. Unmade almost. (Because they have nothing else on the bed. With the drape at the bottom of the bed, it looks different.)

Back