ongoing problems

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilomaria

Reaction score
We are happy to be new members and have a place to vent and ask for ideas on a couple of ongoing problems .
How do you get guests to stop using the bed or desk for a place to put their dirty luggage to unpack or pack? Yes, we provide luggage racks but
continue to find black streaks on our nice white duvet covers or most recently, a long deep scratch on the desk.
Secondly, we provide a stain cloth for spills ,make up etc but constantly find stains on our white towels. It can be wine,coffee, blood,pizza grease, etc. If its not caught immediately it sets in no time.
Appreciate any ideas.

Sorry about your problem....but guest (we also when on vac.) are on vacation and rush into the room and plop down all and chill out there. I have luggage racks in both suites but they are not used also,instead they use the window seats(for luggage). When they want to use the window seat the luggage ends up on the floor.End of the bed benches are great for luggage, one king bed(of 3) here has one...Mary in Bridgewater

The only way we've found that works for the luggage is to carry the bags yourself and put them on the luggage racks. Now, if you test the racks out and find they are wobbly, guests won't use them at all.
I've seen guests throw soaking wet suitcases on the bed and you would think they might realize that EVERY guest has done that and that they are now going to sleep under that coverlet, but they don't care.
Cany you cover the desk with a thick sheet of glass to keep it from being scratched (and hope it doesn't get broken?)
We've been over the towel situation here a million times and the person who successfully gets guests to use the proper wipes for the proper job will make a fortune selling the idea to other innkeepers!

The only way we've found that works for the luggage is to carry the bags yourself and put them on the luggage racks. Now, if you test the racks out and find they are wobbly, guests won't use them at all.
I've seen guests throw soaking wet suitcases on the bed and you would think they might realize that EVERY guest has done that and that they are now going to sleep under that coverlet, but they don't care.
Cany you cover the desk with a thick sheet of glass to keep it from being scratched (and hope it doesn't get broken?)
We've been over the towel situation here a million times and the person who successfully gets guests to use the proper wipes for the proper job will make a fortune selling the idea to other innkeepers!.
Can you cover the desk with a thick sheet of glass to keep it from being scratched
You can get plexiglass cut to size at Lowes or Home Depot. That will be cheaper than glass. I have it on my desk and printer stand and yes it gets scratched up...but at least my desk is protected and that is the point.

Just as with the common cold, there is no cure. We have even pointed to the luggage racks and said - 'you can place your luggage right there", that works sometimes.
cry_smile.gif

We have 2 luggage racks per room and did carry the guest's bags and put them on the racks. I have also been known to move luggage from beds to the racks when we did evening turndown service. Message received. The worst offenders about putting luggage on the beds and furniture were/are FRIENDS! What's up with that? :)
You can get safety glass cut to fit any horizontal surface that you want protected. It did save damage to some of our furniture.
welcome.gif

I had a guest tell me yesterday we should have an elevator/lift for guest luggage as the man was carrying one small black overnight bag. DOH!
Are we to the point we cannot even carry a bag up one flight of stairs? Do I look like Popeye who just ate his spinach!

I recently purchased new luggage and it doesn't work on a luggage rack. Clamshell bags don't fit or open properly. As a BB person I don't put bags on beds but if there's not enough room on the floor I might not have a choice. I didn't think of this when I bought the luggage and I actually don't like them now. Oh well, I will use until they wear out I guess.

Wendy's comment made me think...someone posted a 'blanket' sort of thing you put on the beds expecially FOR throwing your suitcase on. I can't find it now but there is such a thing.

Wendy's comment made me think...someone posted a 'blanket' sort of thing you put on the beds expecially FOR throwing your suitcase on. I can't find it now but there is such a thing..
I can't find it either but the discussion included use by cruise lines that place covers for the end of the bed on arrival & night before departure for luggage. The ones we had on the last cruise we took were made of heavy duty vinyl and covered the bottom 1/3 of the bed.

Wendy's comment made me think...someone posted a 'blanket' sort of thing you put on the beds expecially FOR throwing your suitcase on. I can't find it now but there is such a thing..
It was either JBJ or Joey Bloggs that posted that. They use them on cruise ships.

Many hotels have 1/2 blankets or throws at the bottom of the bed and especially with the new all white bed linen look. If we don't want things damaged then we have to figure out a way to stop the damage. If you do put something on the bed for suitcases then tell the guests that's why it's there. I don't see a problem with it.
Personally I wouldn't put a white cover/duvet/whatever on a bed because of the potential damage. I try to minimize problems and white is a problem and white bed covers are problem generators in my mind.
GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg

Many hotels have 1/2 blankets or throws at the bottom of the bed and especially with the new all white bed linen look. If we don't want things damaged then we have to figure out a way to stop the damage. If you do put something on the bed for suitcases then tell the guests that's why it's there. I don't see a problem with it.
Personally I wouldn't put a white cover/duvet/whatever on a bed because of the potential damage. I try to minimize problems and white is a problem and white bed covers are problem generators in my mind.
GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
Many hotels have 1/2 blankets or throws at the bottom of the bed and especially with the new all white bed linen look.
Every hotel we stayed at on our recent trip (5 of them) had those silly, useless throws at the bottom the bed. They're all slippery fabric so they fall off as soon as you touch them and they aren't useful for anything other than decoration. I just couldn't see the point.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
Many hotels have 1/2 blankets or throws at the bottom of the bed and especially with the new all white bed linen look.
Every hotel we stayed at on our recent trip (5 of them) had those silly, useless throws at the bottom the bed. They're all slippery fabric so they fall off as soon as you touch them and they aren't useful for anything other than decoration. I just couldn't see the point.
Folks really have forgotten the whole point of those bedscarves in the race to outdesign the next guy.
As ginocat wrote, they're really useful in protecting the lovely white duvet covers. But not if they're slippery fabric! That's just silly.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
Folks really have forgotten the whole point of those bedscarves in the race to outdesign the next guy.
As ginocat wrote, they're really useful in protecting the lovely white duvet covers. But not if they're slippery fabric! That's just silly.
I haven't encountered too many slippery ones. I generally stay at the Sheraton hotels. They had non-slippy ones in Bahrain and Vancouver. I don't put my bags on beds anyway but I think if the cover was large enough it would work even if it were slippery but we know that guests are not always smart and especially not careful of things that they do not own.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
I haven't encountered too many slippery ones. I generally stay at the Sheraton hotels. They had non-slippy ones in Bahrain and Vancouver. I don't put my bags on beds anyway but I think if the cover was large enough it would work even if it were slippery but we know that guests are not always smart and especially not careful of things that they do not own.
ginocat said:
we know that guests are not always smart and especially not careful of things that they do not own.
No truer words were ever spoken.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
I always folded the duvets at the bottom of the bed and most of them are white. Arrrgh. Then, went away and found the way someone else did it was to fold the quilt at the bottom of the bed and lay the duvet out completely. Easy peasy to wash the quilt! It's worked like a charm.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
I always folded the duvets at the bottom of the bed and most of them are white. Arrrgh. Then, went away and found the way someone else did it was to fold the quilt at the bottom of the bed and lay the duvet out completely. Easy peasy to wash the quilt! It's worked like a charm.
I do the duvet folded at the end of the bed because it's so much easier to wash the duvet cover than the comforter or quilt. I have spare duvet covers so I don't have to worry about timing when doing a flip. And spare duvet covers take up much less storage space than spare comforters or quilts.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
I do the duvet folded at the end of the bed because it's so much easier to wash the duvet cover than the comforter or quilt. I have spare duvet covers so I don't have to worry about timing when doing a flip. And spare duvet covers take up much less storage space than spare comforters or quilts.
Where do you get duvet covers? I find them so expensive and so cheaply made. I could make my own but I haven't found any really pretty sheets that I like. Altho, I have recently found quilt shops that have 108" bolts of fabric.

GROOM_KING_01_C.jpg
ginocat said:
Our 4 Star Hilton in England last Fall had the throw at the bottom and it was a velour type material (burgundy) and was a lint catcher. We kept taking it off, folding it up, & putting it on the chair and housekeeping would put it back on when they made up the room. It was a bad choice of fabric for sure.

Back