Online Availability

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to stick my 2 cents in here regarding this subject actually subjects.
First, online reservations – on YOUR website: We have been using Webervations for 3 ½ years now and this system has been a wonderful easy addition to our website. I had the same thoughts about having at times all my rooms available, that issue finally passed and I would not be without online booking. Waking in the morning to new reservation requests (how we have it set up) in our email is nice, no phone calls at all hours, and for travelers from overseas, it removes that time of day issue as well as an international call. Guests are able to add packages, which by the way I sell more of as I don’t have this in my phone ‘pitch’, on Webervations, it is in their face. Information about arrival time, food allergies or preferences etc., are asked, and then automatically stored with the reservation for my quick reference prior to check in.
Webervations is in the process of a major update and it sounds like they will be offering different tiers with different additional services. We received an email about it sometime back but it is still in the testing phrase.

Now regarding reservations systems Here is the good, the bad and the dirty as I see it! We were involved with Hotels & later Expedia when Lanierbb.com had the exclusive agreement with Hotels, now B&B.com has the exclusive. NOTE that Expedia owns Hotels.com and Tripadvisor. When Lanier had it, first the B&B had to list their lowest rate, then the B&B paid +-20% commission from bookings. That changed later and B&B’s could remove themselves from the ‘lowest price guarantee’ initiative but remain on the site. We received quite a few bookings with very few cancellations.
Once B&B.com got the contract, we were unable to post availability, as we are not members of B&B.com. Yet, Hotels and Expedia keep our listing active with no availability and will not remove it. I have been battling this with them for over a year now.

We did however find an online reservation system that places us on most the travel agencies systems as well as Travelocity, Orbitz and many others - not Expedia or Hotels for reasons noted above. The cost (going by memory) is aprox 15% when not using a travel agent, an additional 10% with travel agent commission. Some reservation systems charge a monthly service fee, ours does not. Only charges are IF we have a completed stay. Up sides: by being listed on Sabre, Pegasus etc, we do get more bookings for business travelers, since joining this system. Some businesses do not use agents for booking but have these systems in place for employees to book on their own. Some business travelers (few) use the online booking while most call after viewing their online choices, saving me the % and providing caller with more information prior to booking. We do have higher rates (to defray cost) on these systems then if they book by calling or using Webervations thus; when they call I provide a lower cost which makes them even more pleased by their choice.
Also, you add the number of available rooms and dates you hope to fill, so you can use it as you wish. If you do not want last minute check ins, there is a way to take availability off the system 24, 48 or more hours before that date. I choose to remove availably 2 days before so I am better able to plan. I do not list all my availability, as this system is a guaranteed booking system, keeping it up to date is a must but at least the way I list, I have a little buffer time to change the system when I have booked rooms through Webervations or by phone. Yes, by having this type of system AND Webervations, there are 2 calendars to keep up with. This may not be the best thing for a newbie, you may want to get your feet wet with only one system before expanding.

Reservation System services are NOT for everyone. There ARE headaches: If the booking is done by an agent, you will not get guest information other than name, CC # etc., so you must contact agent for this information. Some are reluctant to provide it. I just clearly state that in order for us to keep the reservation, we MUST have their complete name, billing address and phone number(s) and if necessary state that we are the ones that will be issuing their commission – that cinches it. Some sytems provide all info through an email, ours provides name, dates and reservation number with all personal information including contact numbers and CC information are only available on their secure server. Other issues revolve around amenities and the like. The system we use provides us with a long list that we check off. WHAT we don’t know is what each booking system shows the potential customer, so some could think we had everything such as an on site restaurant like a hotel then be disapointed on arrival.

Issues we are unable to determine – If we show no availability on these systems, but have rooms, what % of business are we missing? We DO get calls, saying ‘I saw online you were full for x dates but wanted to check with you directly.” But how many potential guests are booking elsewhere due to this is anyone’s guess. But, if this is how they traditionally book, we would not have had a chance without this system. .
Thanks, you have a lot of great information there. One thing that caught my eye was related to getting stuck in the expedia / hotels system long after you stop listing rooms with them. It seems like somebody else on here had that problem too, as well as I have had a few clients have that happen. It presents a problem because your place shows up in that system but then when people do an availability check using Expedia or TripAdvisor it informs them that there is no availability when it should more truthfully say "this inn no longer lists with us so we have no idea what they have available." It takes many attempts (phone calls and email) but I have had clients have success in getting themselves removed from that system.

First, online reservations – on YOUR website: We have been using Webervations for 3 ½ years now and this system has been a wonderful easy addition to our website. I had the same thoughts about having at times all my rooms available, that issue finally passed and I would not be without online booking. Waking in the morning to new reservation requests (how we have it set up) in our email is nice, no phone calls at all hours, and for travelers from overseas, it removes that time of day issue as well as an international call. Guests are able to add packages, which by the way I sell more of as I don’t have this in my phone ‘pitch’, on Webervations, it is in their face. Information about arrival time, food allergies or preferences etc., are asked, and then automatically stored with the reservation for my quick reference prior to check in.
Webervations is in the process of a major update and it sounds like they will be offering different tiers with different additional services. We received an email about it sometime back but it is still in the testing phrase.

Now regarding reservations systems Here is the good, the bad and the dirty as I see it! We were involved with Hotels & later Expedia when Lanierbb.com had the exclusive agreement with Hotels, now B&B.com has the exclusive. NOTE that Expedia owns Hotels.com and Tripadvisor. When Lanier had it, first the B&B had to list their lowest rate, then the B&B paid +-20% commission from bookings. That changed later and B&B’s could remove themselves from the ‘lowest price guarantee’ initiative but remain on the site. We received quite a few bookings with very few cancellations.
Once B&B.com got the contract, we were unable to post availability, as we are not members of B&B.com. Yet, Hotels and Expedia keep our listing active with no availability and will not remove it. I have been battling this with them for over a year now.

We did however find an online reservation system that places us on most the travel agencies systems as well as Travelocity, Orbitz and many others - not Expedia or Hotels for reasons noted above. The cost (going by memory) is aprox 15% when not using a travel agent, an additional 10% with travel agent commission. Some reservation systems charge a monthly service fee, ours does not. Only charges are IF we have a completed stay. Up sides: by being listed on Sabre, Pegasus etc, we do get more bookings for business travelers, since joining this system. Some businesses do not use agents for booking but have these systems in place for employees to book on their own. Some business travelers (few) use the online booking while most call after viewing their online choices, saving me the % and providing caller with more information prior to booking. We do have higher rates (to defray cost) on these systems then if they book by calling or using Webervations thus; when they call I provide a lower cost which makes them even more pleased by their choice.
Also, you add the number of available rooms and dates you hope to fill, so you can use it as you wish. If you do not want last minute check ins, there is a way to take availability off the system 24, 48 or more hours before that date. I choose to remove availably 2 days before so I am better able to plan. I do not list all my availability, as this system is a guaranteed booking system, keeping it up to date is a must but at least the way I list, I have a little buffer time to change the system when I have booked rooms through Webervations or by phone. Yes, by having this type of system AND Webervations, there are 2 calendars to keep up with. This may not be the best thing for a newbie, you may want to get your feet wet with only one system before expanding.

Reservation System services are NOT for everyone. There ARE headaches: If the booking is done by an agent, you will not get guest information other than name, CC # etc., so you must contact agent for this information. Some are reluctant to provide it. I just clearly state that in order for us to keep the reservation, we MUST have their complete name, billing address and phone number(s) and if necessary state that we are the ones that will be issuing their commission – that cinches it. Some sytems provide all info through an email, ours provides name, dates and reservation number with all personal information including contact numbers and CC information are only available on their secure server. Other issues revolve around amenities and the like. The system we use provides us with a long list that we check off. WHAT we don’t know is what each booking system shows the potential customer, so some could think we had everything such as an on site restaurant like a hotel then be disapointed on arrival.

Issues we are unable to determine – If we show no availability on these systems, but have rooms, what % of business are we missing? We DO get calls, saying ‘I saw online you were full for x dates but wanted to check with you directly.” But how many potential guests are booking elsewhere due to this is anyone’s guess. But, if this is how they traditionally book, we would not have had a chance without this system. .
I do not pay commissions, my rates are not that high to start with. My online reservation charges so much a month, no commissions, and only charges if their in an online booking or more that month.

Thanks, you have a lot of great information there. One thing that caught my eye was related to getting stuck in the expedia / hotels system long after you stop listing rooms with them. It seems like somebody else on here had that problem too, as well as I have had a few clients have that happen. It presents a problem because your place shows up in that system but then when people do an availability check using Expedia or TripAdvisor it informs them that there is no availability when it should more truthfully say "this inn no longer lists with us so we have no idea what they have available." It takes many attempts (phone calls and email) but I have had clients have success in getting themselves removed from that system.
Thanks for noting that there is a possibility of being removed. Maybe I have just not screamed loud enough yet. Of course by that I mean being constantly in their email inbox, voice mail, etc. I will keep the effort going!

I do not pay commissions, my rates are not that high to start with. My online reservation charges so much a month, no commissions, and only charges if their in an online booking or more that month.
So are you stating that you only pay a flat fee (i.e. $25) only if there is a booking during that month and it stays the same rate no matter how many bookings you get that month? Also, do they charge after the booking or is it after the stay? Does this system place you on all the travel booking sites and in travel agent systems like Sabre and Pegasus?
I am always looking for better options!

So are you stating that you only pay a flat fee (i.e. $25) only if there is a booking during that month and it stays the same rate no matter how many bookings you get that month? Also, do they charge after the booking or is it after the stay? Does this system place you on all the travel booking sites and in travel agent systems like Sabre and Pegasus?
I think (might be wrong) that Resnexus.com is no charge for the month if you don't get a reservation that month. I'm not sure if that is the one 1linda is referring to. It is flat fee availability calendar and booking, but I don't believe it has the capability to release rooms to the GDS system. I think for that you need something like Rezovation

Thanks for noting that there is a possibility of being removed. Maybe I have just not screamed loud enough yet. Of course by that I mean being constantly in their email inbox, voice mail, etc. I will keep the effort going!
completely separate topic: Copperhead, check the email address that you are using for your account here. All the email getting sent to you by the system is bouncing back to me saying that the address has been rejected because the domain is disabled. Might be a typo in the email address? You can change it by clicking on "My Account" in the left column and then clicking the "edit" tab near the top of the page.

I think (might be wrong) that Resnexus.com is no charge for the month if you don't get a reservation that month. I'm not sure if that is the one 1linda is referring to. It is flat fee availability calendar and booking, but I don't believe it has the capability to release rooms to the GDS system. I think for that you need something like Rezovation
If i am not misstaken, Resnexus is more like Webervations, an availability, online booking system for your on website. I was under the impression from 1linda that she was speaking of a system that is connected to the GDS system.
My original post on this thread addressed my use of both. I was just trying to have 1linda clarify which type of system she was addressing - Thanks!

That is correct. It does not place me on travel booking sites or travel agent systems. I do not think I would like to be on those sites or systems.
http://resnexus.com/
This is the online reservation system I use. Yes there is a set charge each month if there is an online booking or more. I like the total set-up. I like the calendar, information,reports,etc. They helped to customize it to my needs. I pay no commission.
I was hesitant to use anything for an online reservation system. Wanted to be hands on, well several times I have been extremely glad that I have it. I know I have gotten bookings, because I had online reservations and others in the area did not. I can do my lodging tax report on it and send in the tax in about 10 minutes.

completely separate topic: Copperhead, check the email address that you are using for your account here. All the email getting sent to you by the system is bouncing back to me saying that the address has been rejected because the domain is disabled. Might be a typo in the email address? You can change it by clicking on "My Account" in the left column and then clicking the "edit" tab near the top of the page.
Thanks swirt, fixed it!

Excellent!
Like I say, more fun than having the UPS truck pull up out front! I love waking up to reservations, esp if they are more than one night, or have something interesting in them!.
OK, funny one...I had an online booking this morning waiting for me...from the guests in one of my rooms! They didn't want to disturb us last night so they booked another night online...see how well that worked for my beauty sleep!

This is strictly picky...great advice and info in your post, but could you use paragraphs, it's too hard to read all lumped together like that.

A booking from within the B&B! Is this a first? I like it!.
LOL that sounds like a scary movie....we've traced the reservation, and it is coming from inside the B&B
teeth_smile.gif

I didn't want to sidetrack, but dang it now I am going to have to. Ithought the same as you on that reservation.
When a Stranger calls was the greatest scary movie for me when I was younger. (The original version)
My younger sister was babysitting age. She and her friend were on the floor with pillows, mom on a couch and me on the loveseat watching that movie on tv. Pre-dvd or vhs.
This is a true story.
When the line came in from the police "we've traced the call and it is coming from inside the house!" We all screamed our heads off in a rage!!!" So picture 2 little girls about 12, and me and mom screaming at the top of our lungs.
Dad was in bed in his room the other side of the living room wall.
His door suddenly flings open, out steps Dad from a 'dead' sleep standing there in his superman bvd's, no shirt and a shotgun in his hand!
The screaming stopped. The room went mute.
Of course Dad didn't know what the heck happened. HE WAS TICKED!
I am laughing as I retell this story.

I didn't want to sidetrack, but dang it now I am going to have to. Ithought the same as you on that reservation.
When a Stranger calls was the greatest scary movie for me when I was younger. (The original version)
My younger sister was babysitting age. She and her friend were on the floor with pillows, mom on a couch and me on the loveseat watching that movie on tv. Pre-dvd or vhs.
This is a true story.
When the line came in from the police "we've traced the call and it is coming from inside the house!" We all screamed our heads off in a rage!!!" So picture 2 little girls about 12, and me and mom screaming at the top of our lungs.
His door suddenly flings open, out steps Dad from a 'dead' sleep standing there in his superman bvd's, no shirt and a shotgun in his hand!
I am laughing as I retell this story..
And the best part of the story is the Superman BVD's!
=)
Kk.

This is a true story.
I am laughing as I retell this story..
I'm going to sidetrack further for another movie...Wait Until Dark...with Audrey Hepburn. If you haven't seen it, she plays a blind woman whose husband may or may not be involved with drug dealers. One of the bad guys gets in the apartment to find the drugs. The Audrey character knows something is going to happen and she has broken every lightbulb in the apt, thinking she has the advantage in the dark. The bad guy opens the fridge. Light comes on. She hears the door open and knows she's forgotten the fridge. Bad guy jams towel into door so she can't get it shut. She hits him with something, he goes down. You cheer. She tries to crawl away and his hand reaches out and grabs her ankle.
Holy cow! My mother and I came up off the couch shrieking. Dad is downstairs. Doesn't budge. We were more upset that he didn't come to see what was the matter!

Excellent!
Like I say, more fun than having the UPS truck pull up out front! I love waking up to reservations, esp if they are more than one night, or have something interesting in them!.
OK, funny one...I had an online booking this morning waiting for me...from the guests in one of my rooms! They didn't want to disturb us last night so they booked another night online...see how well that worked for my beauty sleep!
That's bloody brilliant!

Excellent!
That's bloody brilliant!
IvyLee said:
That's bloody brilliant!
I thought it was rather thoughtful of them. They didn't want to miss out but they didn't want to 'bother' us 'after hours'. (I think the booking came in just before midnight.)

Thank you for all the great information about the reservation systems. A lot to digest and we will be certainly looking into purchasing one and not have our web designer try and make one. (especially since she is not a real web designer but does a pretty good job... although we are waiting for the design we really wanted and she is still working on it after 6 months ... sigh)
I checked them out and still have the one at the bottom of the page that Swirt sent to me. We are just now getting a breather from our guests as they checked out. (we did though go out for lunch with a few friends on Wednesday and lunch with our lunch bunch on Thursday .. trying to maintain a bit of a life
wink_smile.gif
).
Today is laundry and clean the room day, but our next guests do not arrive until Monday so a few days to do that. And we are flipping the room that had a strange smell from the boys being in there so we are washing everything. But more important, today is also the day when I am catching up on all the forums.
I find everyone's help amazing. I know you have all been there, done that, got the t-shirt kind of thing, but some questions and thoughts you seem to ask before I have a chance and for this I am finding the most valuable.
Thank you all for answering my questions so very fast.
Cathy

Back