online booking issue

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
does anyone else encounter this probelm- a guest books online and checks off number of guests as "2" and then puts information in the booking that imply many more guests than "2" will be showing up for that room? today's bookings were for 2 rooms and what appeared to be parents and 2 children. the 2 children appeared to be going into one room by themselves except they were very young children. when questioned about this the guest responded back that there would be 3 guests in one of the rooms. the reservation confirmation was amended on this end before being sent to the guest. then guest then wanted to know why there was an additional charge on the reservation if the room that was booked was suitable for 3 guests? response back was a quote from the website which states that the 3rd person will be charged for all of the nights at a certain rate and that had the guest checked the appropriate number of people the correct charge would have shown up right away. all said in much less terse verbiage than stated here.
similar problem yesterday when guest checked out. guest wanted discount because there are 2 beds in the room and she only used one of them. it was explained that the room rate is based on 1-2 guests occupying the room, not the number of beds used.
would you change your rates so the rooms with more than 1 bed cost more all the time and then not charge extra for extra guests? that's a secondary question to the one above where guests don't select the proper number of occupants when they book themselves online.

No as we only have one room that can accomodate more than 2 people. I keep my eyes peeled on that room.
Question - does your booking prgm ask for the other guests name? Webervations does.
Answer to the other question you posted - itis the luck of the draw so to speak, or in our terminology - it all comes out in the wash. Charge occup not # of beds, but I do know king beds usually are worth more than two doubles. So?

No as we only have one room that can accomodate more than 2 people. I keep my eyes peeled on that room.
Question - does your booking prgm ask for the other guests name? Webervations does.
Answer to the other question you posted - itis the luck of the draw so to speak, or in our terminology - it all comes out in the wash. Charge occup not # of beds, but I do know king beds usually are worth more than two doubles. So?.
Joe Bloggs said:
yes, the program asks for the names of all guests. that field is rarely filled in even when it is just 2 guests. another question asks about children and the ages. that was what tipped off this one, even though that field is often left blank but then there is some notation made that the someone needs something that implies there are more guests than stated. or a roll away bed is requested. why they need a rollaway for 2 guests in a room with 2 beds puts up the red flag. there have been bookings that say there is 1 guest and then 3 names are listed. because children aren't guests is what i'm thinking. but it is not an issue about children, it's an issue about how many guests will be arriving that have not been prepared for and food not purchased and now it is another trip to the store. and quick run to get more towels and glasses and all the other amenities that each guest gets.
in this case it is a guest who thinks the price of the room covers all the people she is bringing. clearly stated otherwise both on the website and at the time of booking.

We used to get that much more often than we do now, but it still happens. The guests will reserve and state there are x number in their party and then show up at the door with x+2 and assume the +2 will sleep on the floor. OK, go to a hotel if you want to jam them in like sardines.

I do run into this sometimes with 2 rooms here.
One room has 2 queen beds and the max occupancy is only 3 people. The reason I did that is that in my opinion, although it's a large room with sitting area, it would not really be comfortable for more than 3. The point of the room was that it's good for the following scenarios: 1) People traveling together that don't want to share a bed, 2) Maybe a couple with a teenager, or someone visiting here that has a college kid join them, or 3) a married couple where one of them can't have the train locomotive snoring right beside them (just happened). There is a 3rd person charge there because I know with certainty that the second bed will get used! More linens, work, another brekkie, etc. I have no control over the married people that decide to sleep separately. It's their room! There are some places that have a charge if you use the second or third bed in a room with 1-2 people occupying the room and I think that's goofy.
The other room here where people try to do it on the cheap is one that the living space can be added and it has a sleep sofa. For instance, the room without the living space is $170 and with the living room is $200/night. I priced it that way because it is obviously more work and it's a much larger suite!!. Someone can choose it or not if it's 1-2 people and pay a little more to have the extra space with another TV, desk, etc. If it's booked with the living space and they want to sleep 1-2 more people on the sleep sofa, there's the extra person charges on top of that. People don't get that! Hellooooooooo...I have to feed those people, launder more towels & sheets, make-up the sleep sofa,etc. I think the other wrinkle that confuses people about that is I have another suite that can be opened up with an additional bedroom and detached bath and I don't have an extra person charge, it just costs more. It's a great deal and I'd like to raise the rate on that but I don't think now is the time. I get 3-4 day stays in that 2-room suite and it's a great money maker because of the set up. There are no complaints on that detached bath since more people can get ready at the same time in the morning to get somewhere
regular_smile.gif

I am not going to cram people into rooms here. My dh just got a call last night and the caller said, "That is way too much money for me to spend!" My new answer is, "I suggest that you contact some of the new economy motels that are close to the Interstate and your event destination."

We all know people just do not read. They skim the site for the info they want, read what they think are the policies, amenities and such then book. This is probably the case with this this person. Some people do this as they think they can just slip someone in (especially if there is an additional charge. These are usually new to the B&B world and do not realize how many of us are set up. They do not think the children count as that is the case with many hotels, children under age # are free so they do not count.
I also find that most online bookings the person fails to provide the other guest's names.
Regarding your questions: I have had this problem a few times in the past. I went out to look at other sites - B&B's and hotels to see if there was a better wording for max. # of guests... Anyway I would make sure the wording includes: This room sleeps X # of guests maximum (including children). This should be in plain sight not embedded within a paragraph.
On your second question, no I would not do that. Athough it is a good thought, I think that it would only cause you more pain dealing with it. What would you do if they book to use only one bed but when they depart, both beds have been used?

We all know people just do not read. They skim the site for the info they want, read what they think are the policies, amenities and such then book. This is probably the case with this this person. Some people do this as they think they can just slip someone in (especially if there is an additional charge. These are usually new to the B&B world and do not realize how many of us are set up. They do not think the children count as that is the case with many hotels, children under age # are free so they do not count.
I also find that most online bookings the person fails to provide the other guest's names.
Regarding your questions: I have had this problem a few times in the past. I went out to look at other sites - B&B's and hotels to see if there was a better wording for max. # of guests... Anyway I would make sure the wording includes: This room sleeps X # of guests maximum (including children). This should be in plain sight not embedded within a paragraph.
On your second question, no I would not do that. Athough it is a good thought, I think that it would only cause you more pain dealing with it. What would you do if they book to use only one bed but when they depart, both beds have been used?.
Copperhead said:
On your second question, no I would not do that. Athough it is a good thought, I think that it would only cause you more pain dealing with it. What would you do if they book to use only one bed but when they depart, both beds have been used?
as things are now the guests sleep in 2 beds even if they pay for 2 guests and the assumption is made they are going to sleep in the same bed. with paying by number of beds, then they pay for the use of both beds whether they use them or not. this is a standard misconception with guests booking. if there is only 1 room left and it has 2 beds the guest makes the assumptuon that the room costs more than a room with just 1 bed. which is why i wondered if i should just charge more to start ith and forget charging extrafor extra guests. it gets tiring explaining that the rooms are the same price whether they have 1 bed or 2 and they are only charged if they have more than 2 in the room. then they sleep in both beds because they paid for them and i'm stuck with all the extra laundry for no additiona; revenue. thinking about it makes me think i will get fewer bookings or more haggling. if a guest sees a room has 2 beds and costs more than a room with 1 bed then they will tell me they only will sleep in 1 bed. which is not what will happen. and then theyve gotten a discount and i'm upset because of the way i am now thinking of the room. better to charge for extra people and just swear when 1 married couple who never mentioned needing 2 beds decides to use 2 beds because they are there.
back to the original question- it is quite clear there is a charge for extra guests. stated as charge for 3rd or 4th guest in room. and htat is right next to the room price, so not buried in the text. wondering if this guest will cancel once they find somewhere else to stay.

On your second question, no I would not do that. Athough it is a good thought, I think that it would only cause you more pain dealing with it. What would you do if they book to use only one bed but when they depart, both beds have been used?.
Copperhead said:
as things are now the guests sleep in 2 beds even if they pay for 2 guests and the assumption is made they are going to sleep in the same bed. with paying by number of beds, then they pay for the use of both beds whether they use them or not. this is a standard misconception with guests booking. if there is only 1 room left and it has 2 beds the guest makes the assumptuon that the room costs more than a room with just 1 bed. which is why i wondered if i should just charge more to start ith and forget charging extrafor extra guests. it gets tiring explaining that the rooms are the same price whether they have 1 bed or 2 and they are only charged if they have more than 2 in the room. then they sleep in both beds because they paid for them and i'm stuck with all the extra laundry for no additiona; revenue. thinking about it makes me think i will get fewer bookings or more haggling. if a guest sees a room has 2 beds and costs more than a room with 1 bed then they will tell me they only will sleep in 1 bed. which is not what will happen. and then theyve gotten a discount and i'm upset because of the way i am now thinking of the room. better to charge for extra people and just swear when 1 married couple who never mentioned needing 2 beds decides to use 2 beds because they are there.
back to the original question- it is quite clear there is a charge for extra guests. stated as charge for 3rd or 4th guest in room. and htat is right next to the room price, so not buried in the text. wondering if this guest will cancel once they find somewhere else to stay.
This is like the GC guests who got moved from a room with a king to a room with two queen beds. They already decided who gets which bed so they are paying for the king room and getting a much more elaborate room with two beds for the lower price. OK, I decided to do that for them because they're old, but it annoys anyway because of all the extra work the much larger room encompasses.
I will say that definitely if a couple sees 2 beds in a room they will use both of them. Not sure how that helps or doesn't.

Copperhead said:
This is like the GC guests who got moved from a room with a king to a room with two queen beds. They already decided who gets which bed so they are paying for the king room and getting a much more elaborate room with two beds for the lower price. OK, I decided to do that for them because they're old, but it annoys anyway because of all the extra work the much larger room encompasses.
I will say that definitely if a couple sees 2 beds in a room they will use both of them. Not sure how that helps or doesn't.
I disagree. Like I said previously, we have only had one couple use both beds in our 2 queen bed room since we opened. Hotels don't charge by the number of beds in the room. Price the room for what you think it's worth if someone should use both beds and forget about it. If I booked a room with 2 beds, I would assume that it was totally up to me whether I wanted to use one or both beds. The extra person charge is for the added amenities you put in the room for another person (extra towels, shampoo, complimentary beverages,etc.) and extra water for showers and so on.

Our experience is that people with an agenda like undisciplined kids, etc. something to hide, a surprise to pop on you, etc. almost always use our online reservation system and rarely fill in all the pertinent details.
In fact, the vast majority of our behavior "problem" guests have come via third party booking engines like Schmotels.com, etc. where we have little or no "screening" ability. The heavy drinkers, the loud and obnoxious, the rude and impolite, the property destroyers, etc. all know that if they had to verbally talk with their host or have their host somehow get a "read" on what kind of people they are, they'd never get a room anywhere. Thats why they use those programs.
This is their standard MO and they like getting one over on everybody they encounter in life, makes them feel superior and catered. Very adversarial, usually confrontational when challenged even in the most friendly or non-threatening way.
We charge extra by the person regardless of room of number of beds. We refuse to even put a rollaway in a room unless it is only a one or two night stay and its a child using the rollaway.
Like I need some cheapskate going on TripaAdvisor the day after they leave complaining about how we advertise these wonderful beds and they got "stuck" on a rollaway which killed their bad back.
Why the eternally cheap insist on B&Bs and then try putting the onus on us to help them save money is beyond me. Especially if they use deception to get in the door.
Go stay at a Discomfort Inn and eat all the Wheeties, bad coffee and make your own waffles you can force into yourself.

We avoid this by not allowing anyone under 21 since we are wine country. I don't want to deal with children. I don't want to clean for hours to still find cheerios inserted in the seat cushions.
We specify that our rooms sleep 2 and 2 only. But in case we get suprised we do have a loveseat that opens to a twin and a couch that opens to a queen. But I don't advertise that.
I don't want multiple people in the rooms. They will all have a suitcase bangin around and hand bags. And we are on a well and septic and that means more water usage, etc.
Riki

That's the chance you take booking with a 3rd party, plus a hefty commission to boot. I prefer to know ahead of time who is going to be staying in my house.

Copperhead said:
I disagree. Like I said previously, we have only had one couple use both beds in our 2 queen bed room since we opened. Hotels don't charge by the number of beds in the room. Price the room for what you think it's worth if someone should use both beds and forget about it. If I booked a room with 2 beds, I would assume that it was totally up to me whether I wanted to use one or both beds. The extra person charge is for the added amenities you put in the room for another person (extra towels, shampoo, complimentary beverages,etc.) and extra water for showers and so on.
Our experience has been similar to Bree's here...even if there are only two people staying in the room, if there are two beds they use both. We stopped allowing more than 3 in any guest room...4 adults in one room with one bathroom is GROSS. And we don't want multiple children...we like the one child couples and our rooms are comfortable for them. Since we have some smaller rooms that are less, people end up booking two rooms...they have two bathrooms to use, and everyone is happy (include me)!

That's the chance you take booking with a 3rd party, plus a hefty commission to boot. I prefer to know ahead of time who is going to be staying in my house..
SweetiePie said:
That's the chance you take booking with a 3rd party, plus a hefty commission to boot. I prefer to know ahead of time who is going to be staying in my house.
Just for clarity, this does not seem to be a third-party booking issue, they are using MooseTrax own online reservations. I have had people not inform me about children or pets even when making a phone reservation. They just show up at the door with them.

Copperhead said:
Our experience has been similar to Bree's here...even if there are only two people staying in the room, if there are two beds they use both. We stopped allowing more than 3 in any guest room...4 adults in one room with one bathroom is GROSS. And we don't want multiple children...we like the one child couples and our rooms are comfortable for them. Since we have some smaller rooms that are less, people end up booking two rooms...they have two bathrooms to use, and everyone is happy (include me)!
That I don't find...we do not get parents who will take 2 rooms because they have one extra child over the limit for the room. They move on or call back 3-4 times thinking they will get someone different on the phone who will let them put 4 in a room made for 3. Or 5 in a room made for 4. And we've had 5 adult women want to take a room with 2 beds and one bathroom. Or take the suite and then bring along more friends. Four is our max and I would not want to do that on MY vacation. I want my own bed and not to share a bathroom with more than 1 other person.

Back